PDA

View Full Version : Pelosi wants 11 Confederate statues removed from Capitol

jimnyc
06-11-2020, 01:46 PM
What say thou? Is Nancy correct?

I think she's wrong. The Capitol has a long long history, also good and bad. Many men and women over time changed our country in those halls and that building. She shouldn't be able to try and take advantage of this situation and demand things get changed or taken down. Nancy over the past decade or so seems to have come under the impression that she runs this country somehow.

--

Pelosi wants 11 Confederate statues removed from Capitol

Speaker wants Joint Committee on the Library to direct removal of Confederates

Speaker Nancy Pelosi is calling for the removal of 11 Confederate statues from the Capitol’s National Statuary Hall Collection.

In a letter sent on Wednesday, Pelosi asked the Joint Committee on the Library — led by Senate Rules and Administration Chairman Roy Blunt, a Missouri Republican, and House Administration Chairwoman Zoe Lofgren, a California Democrat — to direct the Architect of the Capitol to remove the statues of soldiers and officials who represent the Confederacy.

Pelosi specifically mentioned two prominent Confederates — Jefferson Davis and Alexander Stephens — who served as president and vice president of the Confederate States of America, respectively, and who were charged with treason against the United States. Stephens’ statue was given by Georgia and Davis’ by Mississippi.

“While I believe it is imperative that we never forget our history lest we repeat it, I also believe that there is no room for celebrating the violent bigotry of the men of the Confederacy in the hallowed halls of the United States Capitol or in places of honor across the country,” Pelosi wrote.

Rest - https://www.rollcall.com/2020/06/10/pelosi-wants-11-confederate-statues-removed-from-capitol/

Evmetro
06-11-2020, 02:09 PM
There will be no end to how much history lefties want to erase and/or rewrite. We need to put up a fight for every little piece of history they try to erase.

KarlMarx
06-11-2020, 06:21 PM
What do they propose we put in their place? Statues of Stalin and Lenin?

Why stop there? Let’s replace the National Anthem with this while they’re at it....

https://youtu.be/U06jlgpMtQs

claudius2019
06-11-2020, 06:37 PM
There will be no end to how much history lefties want to erase and/or rewrite. We need to put up a fight for every little piece of history they try to erase.

I'm reminded of the videos of ISIS blowing up ancient monuments, in areas they took over, back during Obama's presidency when he was rooting for them. Like the Democrats, it was practically the first thing they did.

RIP ISIS. :laugh:

Gunny
06-11-2020, 07:09 PM
Yeah, and I want that statue named Pelosi and a lot more than 11 other Dems removed from the Capitol. They're a bigger blight on this Nation than some dead US Civil War Confederate heroes.

claudius2019
06-11-2020, 07:50 PM
Many heroes to the left, like LBJ, FDR, JFK, and MLK, definitely had their own human flaws, lied, broke the law, and did plenty of perfectly awful things to other people. But you don't see conservatives riled up demanding that LBJ statues and monuments be torn down because of his racism, or MLK's because he was an adulterer or had very questionable moral standards at times. Maybe the right should start holding some of the left's idols up to the same moral scrutiny that they hold Columbus to.

And we would too, except that we have better things to do, and us conservatives are just simply not that kind of people. Thank God. :saluting2:

KarlMarx
06-11-2020, 08:02 PM
The thing is many who fought for the Confederacy were doing it to defend their homes from an invading force

Invading forces.... much like the kind that are occupying our major cities today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

claudius2019
06-11-2020, 08:07 PM
The thing is many who fought for the Confederacy were doing it to defend their homes from an invading force

Invading forces.... much like the kind that are occupying our major cities today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a Southerner, but I remember it was a running gag on the 1960's TV series "The Beverly Hillbillies", that whenever someone mentioned "The Civil War", Granny would correct them and call it "The War of Northern Aggression". :laugh:

Gunny
06-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Many heroes to the left, like LBJ, FDR, JFK, and MLK, definitely had their own human flaws, lied, broke the law, and did plenty of perfectly awful things to other people. But you don't see conservatives riled up demanding that LBJ statues and monuments be torn down because of his racism, or MLK's because he was an adulterer or had very questionable moral standards at times. Maybe the right should start holding some of the left's idols up to the same moral scrutiny that they hold Columbus to.

And we would too, except that we have better things to do, and us conservatives are just simply not that kind of people. Thank God. :saluting2:I'd like to see the live ones held accountable by law. Like Barrack O-blah-blah. His entire 8 years was an exercise in blatantly screwing the US Constitution. Not hard to prove either since he was kind enough to sign most of his crap into law regardless the Constitution. His name's right there on the confession for each crime.

claudius2019
06-11-2020, 08:39 PM
I'd like to see the live ones held accountable by law. Like Barrack O-blah-blah. His entire 8 years was an exercise in blatantly screwing the US Constitution. Not hard to prove either since he was kind enough to sign most of his crap into law regardless the Constitution. His name's right there on the confession for each crime.

Hopefully that will happen soon, either by way of US Attorney Durham, at Senator Graham, or Senator Ron Johnson's hearings.

I may be off on this, but all of these potential indictments coming to a head, at the very moment you see the most extreme and radical elements of the left doing all this totally wacko stuff, that maybe 1 or 2% of people actually believe in. Is this sheer desperation on the left's part, and being at their absolute wit's end? I like to think so, and there's a lot of evidence for that theory, and a good argument can be made for it.

claudius2019
06-11-2020, 08:48 PM
One additional key fact. The blue states like CA and NY that remain shut down, are going into tremendous debt during these past few months. States can't print their own money, and i don't believe they can declare bankruptcy, so they at gonna need federal money to get back afloat fiscally. This fact is indisputable.

I believe that US Supreme Court decisions generally support the feds putting conditions on money they give to the states. Recall the feds refusing to give highway money to states that did not raise their drinking age to 21, back in the 80's and 90's. That's the classic example.

So what I am saying is that if Trump is smart, and we know he is, he will place conditions up the ying yang in order for CA and NY to get federal bailout money. So he's got those guys by the short hairs right now.