PDA

View Full Version : Trump Executive Order Seeks To Ban Chokeholds By Police, Increase Training Funding

jimnyc
06-16-2020, 02:56 PM
THIS is what is needed!!

And more of course. Let's see if it's accepted and respected. But demands for so many other things aren't what is needed. But this is, instant change too. And this will eliminate a lot of the issues we have seen over the years. Well, it may not eliminate them, but now there will be accountability. And even if not found on footage, an autopsy should tell the story. I've also said the funding. It'll of course take some funding to pay for additional training or whatever it takes to bridge the gap between the police and the community.

Not the entire answer by any means, but it's a beginning, and it's action being done.

How long and who will be the first to condemn it anyway?

--

Trump Executive Order Seeks To Ban Chokeholds By Police, Increase Training Funding

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday calling for a ban on chokeholds by police and an increase in funding for training programs at police departments across the country.

The order offers federal funding grants to police departments that seek independent credentialing certifying they have met standards on new use-of-force and de-escalation training, according to White House deputy press secretary Judd Deere. The order also calls for increased funding for police in an attempt to assist them in handling mental health and homeless crises.

https://i.imgur.com/r4rkor8.png

The three components of the order are as follows:

Creating credentialing and certification programs in every police department across the nation
Information sharing — create a national database that can track officers with excessive use of force complaints so they can’t skip from department to department
Incentivize co-responder programs — have mental health experts accompany officers on responses to non-violent calls involving homelessness, addiction, and other mental health issues

Trump had teased an executive order on race and policing for days, with the White House giving some details out to reporters Monday night. Trump said that the order does not defund police.

“I strongly oppose the radical efforts to defund, dismantle and dissolve our police departments,” Trump said at the Tuesday signing. “Without police, there is chaos.”

Official text of the order has not yet been released.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/16/donald-trump-executive-order-chokeholds-police-training-funding-is-it-a-ban/

Gunny
06-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Just one major problem I see with this. Floyd was not killed by a "choke hold". There is no "choke hold" that consists of kneeling on someone's carotid artery until they die.

May sound good, but it's pointless.

Kathianne
06-16-2020, 04:43 PM
Just one major problem I see with this. Floyd was not killed by a "choke hold". There is no "choke hold" that consists of kneeling on someone's carotid artery until they die.

The man was murdered, no law would have prevented that. By no stretch of the imagination was it an accident.

Gunny
06-16-2020, 04:51 PM
The man was murdered, no law would have prevented that. By no stretch of the imagination was it an accident.I don't think it was an accident. I also don't believe it was intention. The cop was just beyond stupid and probably more than a little arrogant. I've noted in my life that a uniform and especially a weapon is fertile ground for the arrogance.

Unfortunately for the cop, "stupid" is no excuse when it comes to the law. He of all people should know that.

This is a symbolic gesture by the President. I understand his intent as well. In the real world of practicality, it is meaningless and could be counterproductive. A "choke hold" is used to subdue a person so you don't have to kill them which is usually your next option. Do I believe it is misused? You betcha. Nothing is perfect.

Kathianne
06-16-2020, 04:54 PM
I don't think it was an accident. I also don't believe it was intention. The cop was just beyond stupid and probably more than a little arrogant. I've noted in my life that a uniform and especially a weapon is fertile ground for the arrogance.

Unfortunately for the cop, "stupid" is no excuse when it comes to the law. He of all people should know that.

This is a symbolic gesture by the President. I understand his intent as well. In the real world of practicality, it is meaningless and could be counterproductive. A "choke hold" is used to subdue a person so you don't have to kill them which is usually your next option. Do I believe it is misused? You betcha. Nothing is perfect.
I think the killing was intentional. Hopefully we'll know more after the trial. That cop was a sleaze and should rot.

Gunny
06-16-2020, 05:13 PM
I think the killing was intentional. Hopefully we'll know more after the trial. That cop was a sleaze and should rot.I think he's an idiot and should rot. I DO believe he was trying to inflict max pain. Which I do not agree with. I would more believe he decided he was going to show who who's boss. Seen THAT.

If he intentionally murdered Floyd in that manner in front of witnesses, then he is one of the most unbelievably stupidest people I've ever seen. Cops can get away with murdering people a LOT easier than that.

I doubt anything more is going to come out about it. It's fairly self-evident.

More to the point, why don't we just cut to the chase and say cops are no longer allowed to detain nor question blacks? THAT is what this has morphed into. It gets worse each time it happens because no one stops it. Everyone's afraid someone's going to call them racist. So much so they are willing to ignore the law to not be called such. So just give them the keys to the castle and be done with it. We can follow the South Africans right down the shitter.

Black Diamond
06-16-2020, 05:16 PM
I think the killing was intentional. Hopefully we'll know more after the trial. That cop was a sleaze and should rot.

I have thought about this. It may be difficult to prove intent to kill. The wanton reckless disregard for human life sounds right to me, but the intent to kill portion does not (seems to be Minnesota has different definitions than other states).
Some folks think Ellison is intentionally overcharging in order to get an acquittal and more riots (I am reluctant to believe these ideas but he is over the top and vocally supports antifa).

Having said that, to your sleaze comment I have also wondered if Chauvin's arrogance will hang him in the end anyway. That look on his face during the tape is disgusting and ugly.

Evmetro
06-16-2020, 05:57 PM
There should be something in the order that makes banning choke holds conditional on compliance. Non compliance needs to be something that is considered as VERY dangerous. Dont resist arrest, and in return you dont get choked. Citizens should be able to comply without fear of being choked or shot, but should expect bad things to happen if they don't comply.

icansayit
06-16-2020, 06:12 PM
There should be something in the order that makes banning choke holds conditional on compliance. Non compliance needs to be something that is considered as VERY dangerous. Dont resist arrest, and in return you dont get choked. Citizens should be able to comply without fear of being choked or shot, but should expect bad things to happen if they don't comply.

He managed to Include, with the non-use of the chokehold..."Unless the officer's life is threatened." I heard it in the video. That sounds conditional to me.

jimnyc
06-17-2020, 12:19 PM
How long and who will be the first to condemn it anyway?

Wow, too damn many to list!! :laugh::laugh:

If he didn't take action they obviously would go nuts about him. He takes positive action, and predictably they condemn anyway. Hypocrites. I've come to the conclusion that it's simply in their blood.

Here's one of many. Not only doesn't do much, but the opposite, it's a dog whistle to all of his racist followers!! :rolleyes:

--

ACLU Says 'Law and Order' Is a Trump 'Dog Whistle'

(CNSNews.com) - As expected, Trump's many leftist critics slammed his "Executive Order on Safe Policing," announced on Tuesday, as inadequate and tone-deaf.

The American Civil Liberties Union even suggested that Trump's call for "law and order" is nothing more than a "dog whistle intended for his base."

"The solution," according to the ACLU, "must be a smaller police presence in our communities," particularly "communities of color."

In his announcement on Tuesday, President Trump called for a nationwide restoration of law and order, including enhanced funding for police:

"There will be no more looting or arson," Trump said:

Rest - https://www.cnsnews.com/article/washington/susan-jones/aclu-says-law-and-order-trump-dog-whistle

revelarts
06-17-2020, 02:04 PM

Others have been killed by choke holds.
Eric Garner .. one among others

Floyd is the not the 1st killed and a knee to throat is hardly the only way people have been killed by police.

So this order is ONE step in the right direction.
I don't think it was meant to be a CURE ALL.

Gunny
06-17-2020, 03:21 PM
Others have been killed by choke holds.
Eric Garner .. one among others

Floyd is the not the 1st killed and a knee to throat is hardly the only way people have been killed by police.

So this order is ONE step in the right direction.
I don't think it was meant to be a CURE ALL.You're missing the point. This is a knee jerk response in an attempt to pacify crybabies. Already knew it wasn't going to be enough before the ink was dry :rolleyes:

The point is, this "step in the right direction", as you call it, doesn't address why nor how Floyd was killed. No law is going to prevent someone from abusing power if that person is determined to do so.

That I know of, murder is against the law in 50 states.