PDA

View Full Version : CNN’s Cuomo Gets SCHOOLED on Use of Force By Veteran Cop

jimnyc
06-17-2020, 01:13 PM
Cuomo is such an arrogant ass, thinks he knows better than everyone. Looks like an ass on national TV and keeps getting put in his place for his stupid comments. I just wish once one of these guys would respond by kicking the crap out of Fredo. With the cameras still rolling of course.

--

CNN’s Cuomo Gets SCHOOLED on Use of Force By Veteran Cop

CNN host Chris Cuomo does not have a good track record when going up against Georgia’s public officials. Last week, he got destroyed by an election official after crying racism. And then on Tuesday night, he got schooled on the use of deadly force by veteran police officer Steven Gaynor, the president of Cobb County’s Fraternal Order of Police. For someone who liked to brag about being an educated lawyer, Cuomo liked to show off why he was no longer in that field of work.

Any honest observer of the recent police shooting of Rayshard Brooks can admit it wasn’t the same as what happened to George Floyd, and that the police may have been justified. But, of course, Cuomo was no honest observer, and he had to peddle hate of the police. His first question to Gaynor was simple enough (click “expand”):

CUOMO: So, why do you believe this shooting was justified?

GAYNOR: Well Chris, I think if you look at the whole situation, look at the whole story with an open mind from start to finish, you look at the officers dealing with Mr. Brooks in a very calm and peaceful manner for about 43 minutes. And then you see it suddenly change when they tell Mr. Brooks he's under arrest and begin to put the handcuffs on. Mr. Brooks becomes violent and begins to attack the officers.

Interrupting his guest, Cuomo followed up by asking the asinine question: “Why not give him the option of letting him leave that way? Leave the car here, walk home, or maybe we’ll give you a ride if we’re leaving, whatever. Why not go that way?”

Gaynor pointed out the obvious, that Brooks could’ve returned to his car when the cops left. “You leave somebody that’s DUI at the scene with a car, but even if he walks away, who knows if he doesn’t have another key if you take his keys. You don't know the facts. You don’t know what’s going to happen,” he explained.

A short time later, Cuomo spouted off about how a taser in an untrained user’s hands was not considered a deadly weapon. “And a taser doesn't count as deadly force when you guys use it. So why does it become one when he uses it,” he condescendingly sniped.

“A trained individual using a taser is not a deadly weapon by Georgia law,” Gaynor educated him. “So, a trained individual knows where to aim the taser. An untrained individual does not and it becomes a deadly weapon at that point.”

The CNN host couldn’t understand where his guest was getting that information, to which Gaynor told him: “The training we’ve had for over 20 years tells us that, if they take your baton or your taser, it now becomes one step more that you have to use deadly force.”

Gaynor then pointed out the double standard in how the district attorney was trying to apply the deadly weapon designation against cops and not Brooks. Again, Cuomo couldn’t catch on (click “expand”):

GAYNOR: And if you look at the district attorney from Fulton County, two weeks ago the taser was a deadly weapon. This case, the taser is not a deadly weapon. So, Mr. District Attorney, you’ve got to make up your mind. Is it or isn't it a deadly weapon? Because there’s a difference--

CUOMO: What case was it a deadly weapon?

GAYNOR: It was the case with the two college students in the protests down in the City of Atlanta, in which those two officers were fired and then arrested by the district attorney before the investigation was even complete.

CUOMO: I understand that was frustrating to a lot of officers. And I know it took the chief by surprise. I don't remember the taser being a fundamental part of the analysis there.

Rest - https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2020/06/17/cnns-cuomo-gets-schooled-use-force-veteran-cop

jimnyc
06-17-2020, 01:36 PM
As stated though, I think they should have still let him go basically, even if following him, but no need for instant death over a taser. I think some rules about using deadly force and when to do so needs some updating. I know I'm not a cop and these are knee jerk reactions, but I just don't see the need for instant death in situations unless someone's life is in imminent danger.

revelarts
06-17-2020, 01:40 PM
If the Tazer IS a deadly weapon then the sleepy drunk should have been in fear for his life.
And the cop's were trying to kill him from the point where they took it out to use it on him.

Or the Tazer IS NOT a deadly weapon so the cops had good cause to use it on the sleepy fighting drunk and not "fear for their lives" when the sleepy drunk manages to take it from them.

The cops are the ones that have to decide which way they want to play it.

here's a question.
the guy got there in a car.
He ran away from the car.. (So I'm assuming the cop now had the guys ID AND his CAR)
He's on foot half drunk, why couldn't they pick the guy up later at their leisure?

What would Any Griffith do?
That's to much like being a decent human being.

The cops did what Barney Fife would do.

jimnyc
06-17-2020, 02:45 PM
If the Tazer IS a deadly weapon then the sleepy drunk should have been in fear for his life.
And the cop's were trying to kill him from the point where they took it out to use it on him.

Or the Tazer IS NOT a deadly weapon so the cops had good cause to use it on the sleepy fighting drunk and not "fear for their lives" when the sleepy drunk manages to take it from them.

The cops are the ones that have to decide which way they want to play it.

here's a question.
the guy got there in a car.
He ran away from the car.. (So I'm assuming the cop now had the guys ID AND his CAR)
He's on foot half drunk, why couldn't they pick the guy up later at their leisure?

What would Any Griffith do?
That's to much like being a decent human being.

The cops did what Barney Fife would do.

Yups. They did have his ID and did have control of his vehicle. The guy now had a stolen taser, and wanted for aggravated assault on a police officer, and for DUI. They could have given chase until they had a safer situation in which to apprehend him. They could have followed. They shoot these beanbags and plastic bullets at protesters left and right, so why not have that option available in situations such as this one?

And I agree, the objective should always put human life first, unless a life is in imminent danger and no alternative is available. Too many times it seems as if there are split decisions made to shoot people with little thought given to alternatives. People constantly being shot for having a screwdriver, hammer, shovel or similar. I'm not saying let them go, nor use it against anyone. They still must be subdued. But again, less lethal weapons available? You have tasers, beanbags, plastic bullets, hell, even they have paint guns (which I can testify hurt like hell when used in a controlled environment. The police can double the PSI and be twice as painful, I've felt it!) I've seen all kinds of cool inventions in how to take someone down without a bullet.

I know it's unpopular to fully question a cops decision in split second situations. But when you have, say like 8 cops pointing a gun at someone holding up a shovel, telling him to put it down.... I KNOW this guy is getting arrested and will most likely need to be subdued somehow. But with so many options available, they can't even TRY a less lethal option at times?

I'm extremely pro law and order. I support our police and law enforcement in almost every way possible. I'm not anti-police before anyone thinks that. Anyone who knows me from posting over the years knows I'm all for law and order. But I also believe that preserving life should always come first, and deadly force only when truly needed.

jimnyc
06-17-2020, 02:54 PM
BREAKING:

It appears they are announcing right now charges against both officers and for them to turn themselves in by 6pm tomorrow evening.

Kathianne
06-17-2020, 02:59 PM
BREAKING:

It appears they are announcing right now charges against both officers and for them to turn themselves in by 6pm tomorrow evening.

And the one who didn't do the shooting has turned state's evidence.

jimnyc
06-17-2020, 03:18 PM

Just reading and hearing that now as well. He's screwed, blued and about to be tattooed!

Gunny
06-17-2020, 04:32 PM
Cuomo is such an arrogant ass, thinks he knows better than everyone. Looks like an ass on national TV and keeps getting put in his place for his stupid comments. I just wish once one of these guys would respond by kicking the crap out of Fredo. With the cameras still rolling of course.

--

CNN’s Cuomo Gets SCHOOLED on Use of Force By Veteran Cop

CNN host Chris Cuomo does not have a good track record when going up against Georgia’s public officials. Last week, he got destroyed by an election official after crying racism. And then on Tuesday night, he got schooled on the use of deadly force by veteran police officer Steven Gaynor, the president of Cobb County’s Fraternal Order of Police. For someone who liked to brag about being an educated lawyer, Cuomo liked to show off why he was no longer in that field of work.

Any honest observer of the recent police shooting of Rayshard Brooks can admit it wasn’t the same as what happened to George Floyd, and that the police may have been justified. But, of course, Cuomo was no honest observer, and he had to peddle hate of the police. His first question to Gaynor was simple enough (click “expand”):

Interrupting his guest, Cuomo followed up by asking the asinine question: “Why not give him the option of letting him leave that way? Leave the car here, walk home, or maybe we’ll give you a ride if we’re leaving, whatever. Why not go that way?”

Gaynor pointed out the obvious, that Brooks could’ve returned to his car when the cops left. “You leave somebody that’s DUI at the scene with a car, but even if he walks away, who knows if he doesn’t have another key if you take his keys. You don't know the facts. You don’t know what’s going to happen,” he explained.

A short time later, Cuomo spouted off about how a taser in an untrained user’s hands was not considered a deadly weapon. “And a taser doesn't count as deadly force when you guys use it. So why does it become one when he uses it,” he condescendingly sniped.

“A trained individual using a taser is not a deadly weapon by Georgia law,” Gaynor educated him. “So, a trained individual knows where to aim the taser. An untrained individual does not and it becomes a deadly weapon at that point.”

The CNN host couldn’t understand where his guest was getting that information, to which Gaynor told him: “The training we’ve had for over 20 years tells us that, if they take your baton or your taser, it now becomes one step more that you have to use deadly force.”

Gaynor then pointed out the double standard in how the district attorney was trying to apply the deadly weapon designation against cops and not Brooks. Again, Cuomo couldn’t catch on (click “expand”):

Rest - https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2020/06/17/cnns-cuomo-gets-schooled-use-force-veteran-cop “So, a trained individual knows where to aim the taser. An untrained individual does not and it becomes a deadly weapon at that point.”

I did not know that. As an electrician, I could never understand how it could NOT be a deadly weapon. I DO understand the dynamics. It's 50k volts ungrounded. Grounded it would fry your ass in a second. But if you hit someone with 50k v, grounded or not, who has a heart condition you're asking for it.

I can hear Cuomo now: "You didn't ask the suspect if he had a heart condition before employing the taser?":rolleyes:

pete311
06-17-2020, 05:20 PM
So here's an example of the defund police movement. Why are police the best to handle this situation? Call a tow truck. A peaceful drunk falling asleep in his car does not need to be met with any deadly weapons. Create specific task forces where people are trained to handle certain situations. Police as the catch all is not good. Too much to ask for one profession and it means every situation introduces deadly weapons.

icansayit
06-17-2020, 05:53 PM
“So, a trained individual knows where to aim the taser. An untrained individual does not and it becomes a deadly weapon at that point.”

I did not know that. As an electrician, I could never understand how it could NOT be a deadly weapon. I DO understand the dynamics. It's 50k volts ungrounded. Grounded it would fry your ass in a second. But if you hit someone with 50k v, grounded or not, who has a heart condition you're asking for it.

I can hear Cuomo now: "You didn't ask the suspect if he had a heart condition before employing the taser?":rolleyes:

Namely. For any police officer on duty who approaches a vehicle, or anyone not moving in today's HATE COPS World...The officer doesn't know if the person they are approaching for a car stop, or for someone sleeping in their vehicle...THAT THE PERSON ISN'T ARMED, and simply waiting for the opportunity to get rid of ANOTHER PIG...as they like to call them.

So for petey. You try to walk up to someone in the dark in their car, with tinted windows, and pretend you are a Police Officer with a flashlight shining it into the car. What are YOUR chances of surviving if..THE PERSON IN THE CAR HATES COPS and has a weapon they plan to use???

pete311
06-17-2020, 06:16 PM
So for petey. You try to walk up to someone in the dark in their car, with tinted windows, and pretend you are a Police Officer with a flashlight shining it into the car. What are YOUR chances of surviving if..THE PERSON IN THE CAR HATES COPS and has a weapon they plan to use???

You're assuming the person in the car is black right? Exactly.

Gunny
06-17-2020, 06:19 PM
Namely. For any police officer on duty who approaches a vehicle, or anyone not moving in today's HATE COPS World...The officer doesn't know if the person they are approaching for a car stop, or for someone sleeping in their vehicle...THAT THE PERSON ISN'T ARMED, and simply waiting for the opportunity to get rid of ANOTHER PIG...as they like to call them.

So for petey. You try to walk up to someone in the dark in their car, with tinted windows, and pretend you are a Police Officer with a flashlight shining it into the car. What are YOUR chances of surviving if..THE PERSON IN THE CAR HATES COPS and has a weapon they plan to use???I understand the situation all too well. It's one of the reasons I'm against this BS. Walking into a village where all the ragheads look the same, only some of them are Iraqi soldiers who tossed their uniforms to avoid capture (just not their weapons) is no different. Rules of engagement -- if you drop a civvie or unarmed anybody you best have a written excuse from God or you're toast.

And let ONE Marine screw up. Recall that SSgt in the 13th MEU that shot some Somali kid for stealing his sunglasses? How do you justify that shit? (well, if it had been Omar I may have looked the other way :))

At the same time, NONE of this violence and destruction can be justified I don't give a damn how pissed off someone is. These idiots aren't right just because they and some criminals and the MSM say they are. They put themselves in the wrong, and they should be held just as accountable as the stupid cop.

Gunny
06-17-2020, 06:25 PM
So here's an example of the defund police movement. Why are police the best to handle this situation? Call a tow truck. A peaceful drunk falling asleep in his car does not need to be met with any deadly weapons. Create specific task forces where people are trained to handle certain situations. Police as the catch all is not good. Too much to ask for one profession and it means every situation introduces deadly weapons.Here's an answer for you, pete311: Cops used to (back in the day) would give you a ride home. Take your keys and make you walk. They had all sorts of outs when the discretion was THEIRS.

Thank MADD, a Dem funded organization that went way too far, with cops no longer having that discretion. Thank technology for taking away the officer's discretion. It's on film. Once pulled over, the officer is locked into a course of action. Thank the courts that have been more than willing to go along with destroying more lives than drunk drivers because they can collect fine money, court costs, re-licensing fees, etc.

I'm not advocating drunk driving. I'm giving you a reason.

Gunny
06-17-2020, 06:28 PM

Recall back in the 70s the movie "Electra Glide in Blue"? Robert Blake as a motorcycle cop. I don't recall the plot, just the ending.

He forgets to give someone he pulled over their driver's license back and races to catch up to them. They're druggies and think they're busted. Back window of the van opens and they blow him off his back. Just for trying to help. Not an unlikely scenario.

icansayit
06-17-2020, 07:28 PM
You're assuming the person in the car is black right? Exactly.

Everyone EXCEPT YOU knows the meaning of the word ASS U ME!

At any time did I say who, or what color anyone in any vehicle might be???

NO but you had to say that just to make your RACIST little Hiney Hole feel better.

Kathianne
06-17-2020, 07:52 PM
Second officer’s atty says he’s not testifying against the other officer.

Gunny
06-17-2020, 08:51 PM
You're assuming the person in the car is black right? Exactly.Nobody would assume THAT. Everyone knows blacks have cars only if they steal them from some white people :rolleyes: See how stupid that sounds? Try having a legit conversation without YOU stereotyping others' answers.

EVERYONE is armed and dangerous. Simple as that. It's how you stay alive. If you DON'T thin that way you need another line of work.

DO pay attention to EXACTLY what I stated. I didn't say it excused bad cops. I'm not excusing ANYONE's bad behavior.

Go ahead and "defund" cops like it's the right and smart thing to do. Then people will just get killed by vigilantes not trained to not use deadly force. THAT will sove everything :rolleyes: