June 19, 2020
MEDIA CONTACT:
Public Information Office
Latonya Jordan-Smith, PIO
(520) 421-8600 ext. 2535
pio@casagrandeaz.gov

City Proclamation Requires Face Coverings to Be Worn in Public
Mandate Takes Effect June 20, 6 a.m.

Casa Grande, AZ - The (City) of Casa Grande is built on the foundational idea of shared responsibility and shared sacrifice for community shared success. With these values top of mind, the Mayor and City Council have approved a Proclamation
that more aggressively helps to reduce COVID-19 spread by requiring the community to wear face coverings in public to help save lives. The Proclamation becomes effective June 20, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. for everyone age six years and older, when physical distancing of at least six feet from others not a part of the same household, is not an option.

Mayor Craig McFarland said the number of COVID-19 cases has not just increased over the last 14 days but grown exponentially over the last week across Arizona and, specifically, Casa Grande.

"In our local zip code of 85122 where the majority of our City residents reside," explained McFarland, "there have been 176 new cases in just the last 5 days. Considering we have a total of 418 cases, that's close to a 40% jump and presents a real concern."

According to the new mandate, public places include all City facilities. Business examples include grocery stores, shops, salons and restaurants. Every person will need to wear a face covering around others regardless of whether he/she is an employee, customer, vendor, etc. Businesses must also help to ensure employees wear face coverings when dealing with the public, as well as, in other situations where employees cannot maintain continuous physical distancing, even among other employees.

Once a person arrives to a destination (i.e., office desk, car or home), he/she may remove the mask as long as a sustained 6-feet separation is maintained from others not a part of the same household.

"For instance, if you're exercising or walking outdoors alone or with others from your household, you don't need a mask," said McFarland. "If you're working out at a health club or gym, you don't need a mask as long as you adhere to the 6-feet minimum guideline."

There are also exceptions. People will not be required to wear a mask if they have a medical or mental health condition, developmental disability or are unable to remove the face covering without someone else's assistance. People are also not required to wear a mask in settings where it is not practical such as during dental or medical treatments, swimming or sleeping.

McFarland stressed the need for community support, cooperation and participation.

"We are not asking people to do something hard like go half-way around the world to fight in a war for their fellow American," explained McFarland. "That's hard sacrifice. I'm just asking folks to demonstrate love for their fellow neighbor, friend, family, church and co-worker by just simply wearing a mask ---- cover up! It's that easy."

The City will continue to focus on educating the public on Centers for Disease Control recommendations like washing hands frequently and maintaining cleanliness at home and around work spaces to help reduce virus infection. Business are encouraged to help educate customers about the face covering requirement and may also ask a person to leave their premises if he/she refuses to wear one.

To hear more details, please watch Mayor McFarland in this video. You may also help those with disabilities better communicate with you and others during this time by learning how to make and wear an accessible deaf-friendly face mask. The Proclamation will be reviewed weekly to monitor for a sustained, significant decline in Casa Grande's infection rate. For more information on City COVID-19 response, community support or small business resources, please visit online.

Additional Information

Arizona State University research recently discovered that face masks which were merely 20% effective but worn by most of a population could still reduce mortality by up to 65%.

The City has obtained additional reusable facemasks for City employees and have disposable facemasks to provide to residents who do not have one upon entering City buildings. Casa Grande has specifically implemented the "Come Back S.M.A.R.T." campaign to reinforce these efforts.

S. Shield your cough and sneeze.
M. Mask up in public.
A. Apart 6 feet.
R. Rinse and wash hands for 20 seconds.
T. Tidy your space with disinfectant/hand sanitizer.

As the CDC continues to study the spread and effects of the coronavirus across the United States, we now know from recent studies that a significant portion of individuals with coronavirus lack symptoms (asymptomatic) and even those who eventually develop symptoms (pre-symptomatic) can transmit the virus to others before showing symptoms. This means that the virus can spread between people interacting in close-proximity (i.e., speaking, coughing or sneezing), even if those people are not exhibiting symptoms.

People with COVID-19 experience a wide range of symptoms, from mild to severe. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with symptoms may have:
Fever or chills
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
New loss of taste or smell
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea
If you are sick, please stay home and take care of yourself until well. Stay in touch with your doctor and avoid public transportation, public places and other people. As much as possible, separate yourself from even family living with you. Monitor your symptoms and seek emergency attention if you have trouble breathing, have persistent pain in the chest, are unable to wake or stay awake or have bluish lips or face.

Abbey Marie
06-19-2020, 11:36 PM
I know they are wearing them to church. Such a shame But not surprising to me that this is happening.

Kathianne
06-20-2020, 12:03 AM
I know they are wearing them to church. Such a shame But not surprising to me that this is happening.

I think it's a good thing for work! Not so sure about walking and such. Right now it seems to be the city, not county.