PDA

View Full Version : Beijing To Have Sweeping Powers Over Hong Kong Security Law, Stoking Concerns

Gunny
06-20-2020, 12:15 PM
We need to take a good look at this blueprint as a harbinger of things to come here in the US. Legislate yourself into power while removing autonomy. Appoint those in charge of arresting and jailing anyone that disagrees; essentially, silencing the majority of critics with any sense of self-preservation. Once this new power becomes a fact of life, repeat the process as often as necessary. China and the Democratic Party here in the US must have the same handbook.

June 20, 2020
By Yew Lun Tian and Greg Torode
BEIJING/HONG KONG (Reuters) – China will have overarching powers over the enforcement of a new national security law in Hong Kong, according to details released on Saturday that signalled the deepest change to the city’s way of life since it returned to Chinese rule in 1997.
The planned law has alarmed foreign governments as well as democracy activists in Hong Kong, who were already concerned that Beijing is eroding the high degree of autonomy granted to the territory when it was handed over from British rule.

According to details released by the official Xinhua news agency, Hong Kong will establish a local national security council to enforce the legislation, headed by the city’s leader Carrie Lam and supervised and guided by a new central government commission created by Beijing. A mainland adviser will also sit on the new Hong Kong body.
New local police and prosecution units will be set up to investigate and to enforce the law, backed by mainland security and intelligence officers deployed to Beijing’s new commission.
Lam will also have the power to appoint judges to hear cases related to national security, an unprecedented move likely to unnerve some investors, diplomats and business leaders in Hong Kong
Currently senior judges allocate judicial rosters up through Hong Kong’s independent judicial system.
“From these initial details, this new law presents unprecedented legal questions that we will have to confront in coming years,” Simon Young, a barrister and professor at the University of Hong Kong’s law school, told Reuters.
Young said he was troubled by the apparent “broad supremacy” of the new law over current and future Hong Kong laws.
Officials in Beijing and Hong Kong have sought to reassure investors that the law will not erode the city’s autonomy, insisting it will target only a minority of “troublemakers” who pose a threat to national security.
Xinhua said human rights and freedom of speech and assembly would be protected, echoing previous comments by authorities in Beijing and Hong Kong.
The details were unveiled after a three-day meeting of the top decision-making body of China’s parliament. It is unclear when the law will be enacted but political analysts expect it to take effect ahead of Sept. 6 Legislative Council elections in Hong Kong.
Under the new law, no institutions, organisations and individuals in Hong Kong should engage in activity endangering national security, Xinhua said. This was widely expected to raise concerns for some religious, human rights and foreign-backed groups that have long been based in Hong Kong but are not welcome on the Chinese mainland.
China, which sees a growing national security threat from Hong Kong, says the draft law is aimed at tackling separatist activity, subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign forces.
Critics fear it will crush wide-ranging freedoms that are seen as critical to Hong Kong’s status as a global financial centre.
ALLEGIANCE
Under the details released on Saturday, any Hong Kong residents running for election or working for the government will have to swear allegiance to the city and its mini-constitution, the Basic Law.
No details of penalties for specific crimes were released, however.
China’s move to impose the law directly on Hong Kong, bypassing the city’s legislature, comes after a year of sometimes violent anti-government and anti-Beijing protests. Mainland and local authorities have blamed “foreign forces” for fomenting the unrest.
At the time of the handover, China promised to allow Hong Kong a high degree of autonomy for 50 years under what is known as the “one country two systems” formula of governance.
Beijing proposed the new legislation last month, drawing rebukes from Britain, the United States and other countries.
China has repeatedly told foreign governments not to interfere in its internal affairs.
(Reporting By Yew Lun Tian and Greg Torode; Additional reporting by Tom Daly and Se Young Lee; Writing by Anne Marie Roantree; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan, Toby Chopra and Frances Kerry)

https://www.oann.com/china-unveils-security-law-for-hong-kong-citys-freedoms-in-doubt/

Kathianne
06-20-2020, 12:32 PM
We need to take a good look at this blueprint as a harbinger of things to come here in the US. Legislate yourself into power while removing autonomy. Appoint those in charge of arresting and jailing anyone that disagrees; essentially, silencing the majority of critics with any sense of self-preservation. Once this new power becomes a fact of life, repeat the process as often as necessary. China and the Democratic Party here in the US must have the same handbook.

https://www.oann.com/china-unveils-security-law-for-hong-kong-citys-freedoms-in-doubt/

Oh really? Yeah, this was such a missed opportunity, right up there with the Iranian revolt we didn't encourage. There's a difference between arranging and giving moral support with some possible future help if asked.

pete311
06-20-2020, 12:56 PM
Oh really? Yeah, this was such a missed opportunity, right up there with the Iranian revolt we didn't encourage. There's a difference between arranging and giving moral support with some possible future help if asked.

Maybe if Trump wasn't begging China for help in his re-election we could actually do something.

Black Diamond
06-20-2020, 01:09 PM
Maybe if Trump wasn't begging China for help in his re-election we could actually do something.

Yeah I wish Biden were president. He wouldn't have been so xenophobic as to disallow travel from China.

Evmetro
06-20-2020, 01:46 PM

Link it, or it didn't happen.

Gunny
06-20-2020, 01:54 PM
Maybe if Trump wasn't begging China for help in his re-election we could actually do something.This how it's going to be, Pete? Last election it was Russia. How'd THAT work out for you?

Now you've picked a country with even MORE reason to see the dems win. You're on a roll :rolleyes:

Gunny
06-20-2020, 01:57 PM
I don't see a missed opportunity. At the moment, we have NO business telling others what to do in their countries. Not like we're setting any kind of example for anyone to follow. Except maybe terrorists.

Kathianne
06-20-2020, 02:06 PM
I don't see a missed opportunity. At the moment, we have NO business telling others what to do in their countries. Not like we're setting any kind of example for anyone to follow. Except maybe terrorists.
I agree we shouldn't be telling anyone what to do; I am in favor of supporting those taking on oppressive regimes. We might need some reciprocal support soon ourselves.

jimnyc
06-20-2020, 02:09 PM

I saw a few threads today and notice you're regurgitating liberal media.

Too bad it's false - AGAIN and as usual per your postings. :)

And yeah yeah, I know, they're all lying, just as it was 4 years ago and he was lying about Russian collusion being bullshit and that Obama and team were spying on him. :rolleyes:

Just enjoy being wrong again. And whatever you spout next, will also be wrong! :laugh2::coffee:

Oh, and save the Fox news stuff, was the first link, it's reported all over. Not like they made it up, and not like ALL of these calls aren't listened in on and recorded. So jump on board Petey!

Lighthizer denies Bolton claim that Trump asked China’s Xi for 2020 help: ‘Never happened. I was there’

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said former national security adviser John Bolton’s claim that President Trump asked Chinese President Xi Jinping for help winning the 2020 election is “absolutely untrue.”

"Absolutely untrue, never happened. I was there, I have no recollection of that ever happening. I don't believe it's true, I don't believe it ever happened," Lighthizer said Wednesday at a Senate Finance Committee hearing.

On Wednesday, the New York Times -- along with other newspapers -- reported the allegations based on a manuscript of “The Room Where it Happened,” Bolton’s memoir set to be released Tuesday. Fox News has confirmed the quotes and scenarios laid out in the Times’ story.

Rest - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lighthizer-denies-bolton-claim-trump-xi-2020-election

Evmetro
06-20-2020, 02:29 PM

And yeah yeah, I know, they're all lying, just as it was 4 years ago and he was lying about Russian collusion being bullshit and that Obama and team were spying on him. :rolleyes:

Just enjoy being wrong again. And whatever you spout next, will also be wrong! :laugh2::coffee:

Oh, and save the Fox news stuff, was the first link, it's reported all over. Not like they made it up, and not like ALL of these calls aren't listened in on and recorded. So jump on board Petey!

Lighthizer denies Bolton claim that Trump asked China’s Xi for 2020 help: ‘Never happened. I was there’

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer said former national security adviser John Bolton’s claim that President Trump asked Chinese President Xi Jinping for help winning the 2020 election is “absolutely untrue.”

"Absolutely untrue, never happened. I was there, I have no recollection of that ever happening. I don't believe it's true, I don't believe it ever happened," Lighthizer said Wednesday at a Senate Finance Committee hearing.

On Wednesday, the New York Times -- along with other newspapers -- reported the allegations based on a manuscript of “The Room Where it Happened,” Bolton’s memoir set to be released Tuesday. Fox News has confirmed the quotes and scenarios laid out in the Times’ story.

Rest - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lighthizer-denies-bolton-claim-trump-xi-2020-election

You and I can see that he is regurgitating MSM, since our perspectives of the news and propaganda are much broader than what lefties have. Pete's perspective of what is going on is limited to what CNN engineers for him, so he cannot conceive the additional information that we have above and beyond the MSM. He probably doesn't even know that CNN owns the copyrights of his perspective of the political landscape.

jimnyc
06-20-2020, 02:38 PM
You and I can see that he is regurgitating MSM, since our perspectives of the news and propaganda are much broader than what lefties have. Pete's perspective of what is going on is limited to what CNN engineers for him, so he cannot conceive the additional information that we have above and beyond the MSM. He probably doesn't even know that CNN owns the copyrights of his perspective of the political landscape.

Watch or read both CNN/MSNBC, and when Pete posts you will almost always see the connection. He doesn't bother to look elsewhere for an informed opinion, and doesn't hide that fact. The lefty news reports their crap, and then a million good little lefty robots repeat and rinse for them.

But Petey is special. He has a unique way of debating and adding in all of his intelligent thoughts, sources and links into one sentence. One sentence containing regurgitated BS, hypocrisy and lies. Almost all of them. Well, won't say all. Maybe like 98.67%.

Evmetro
06-20-2020, 02:59 PM
Watch or read both CNN/MSNBC, and when Pete posts you will almost always see the connection. He doesn't bother to look elsewhere for an informed opinion, and doesn't hide that fact. The lefty news reports their crap, and then a million good little lefty robots repeat and rinse for them.

But Petey is special. He has a unique way of debating and adding in all of his intelligent thoughts, sources and links into one sentence. One sentence containing regurgitated BS, hypocrisy and lies. Almost all of them. Well, won't say all. Maybe like 98.67%.

I dont think that he is aware that there is anything going on in the world of politics above and beyond what CNN engineers for him. I have memories of my last couple of years of being a lefty before I finally woke up, where my perspective of the political landscape was engineered for me by NPR. I felt kind of smug and enlightened when listened to them during my commute to and from work, I remember how classy it was to hear Aaron Copeland music blended into my news, and I remember how I didn't need outside sources. Pete is in a comfortable place.

pete311
06-20-2020, 05:18 PM

Bolton will be under oath soon, then we'll see.

Black Diamond
06-20-2020, 05:37 PM
Bolton will be under oath soon, then we'll see.

LOL. I can imagine all the leftists saying how another republican is courageous and a great American after comparing him to the likes of von ribbentrop.

Gunny
06-20-2020, 06:11 PM

Rest - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lighthizer-denies-bolton-claim-trump-xi-2020-electionConsider the absurdity of such a statement. The President has stepped on China's crank so hard and more than twice that they tried to crank the heat up on Trump voters by messing with US agriculture.

Now he's going to ask for help :rolleyes: Let me guess, he's going to try the Ayatollah next :rolleyes:

Black Diamond
06-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Trump has made an enemy of the Chinese to the shaggrin of the left, what With all trumps and the deplorables' "xenophobia". Now trump is in bed with Xi. Here it comes. Get the queer "news reporters" from CNN on the line.

Gunny
06-20-2020, 07:29 PM
Trump has made an enemy of the Chinese to the shaggrin of the left, what With all trumps and the deplorables' "xenophobia". Now trump is in bed with Xi. Here it comes. Get the queer "news reporters" from CNN on the line.Not that we've heard this name before, but it was the Clintons that climbed into bed with China.