PDA

View Full Version : 3 Dead, 1 Blind After Ingesting Hand Sanitizer

Gunny
06-27-2020, 01:25 PM
We don't have a "Dumb-n-Dumber" subforum :rolleyes: Seriously, I've seen some people do some dumbass sh*t trying to get high, but I think this one rates right up there with people that used to huff PAM (yes, the cooking spray PAM). I don't recall even at my worst in my "heyday" wanting to get drunk THIS bad :laugh:

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 9:40 AM PT — Saturday, June 27, 2020New Mexico has reported three deaths by methanol poisoning after several residents consumed hand sanitizer. On Friday, medical authorities confirmed three people had died and another had gone blind after seven residents ingested bootlegged hand sanitizer.
Health experts noted these cases were not related to any attempt to cure the novel coronavirus, but instead related to those struggling with alcoholism.
Reports (https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/27/us/new-mexico-hand-sanitizer-deaths-trnd/index.html) claimed the victims had ingested a bootlegged version of the sanitizer in hopes of getting intoxicated.

“It’s not so much thinking they’re going to drink it to cure COVID, but that they’re drinking it as a source of drinking alcohol,” stated Dr. Denise Gonzales.
According to officials, although hand sanitizers contain ethanol, which is found in drinking alcohol, they also contain methanol, a chemical extremely toxic to humans.
While there are treatments for methanol poisoning, doctors have said the earlier one can get treated, the higher chance they have of recovery.

https://www.oann.com/3-dead-1-blind-after-ingesting-hand-sanitizer/

jimnyc
06-27-2020, 02:15 PM
Shit, my first thought was that idiots thought ingesting this crap would keep them safe.... but to get intoxicated? WTF? Kinda like the pyschos who get past drinking rules ... using... gulp .... alcohol enemas. Another WTF??

Abbey Marie
06-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Wait. Alcohol is easier to get than hand sanitizer, and probably cheaper, too. The article doesn't say they were minors, so it's not that they couldn't source some hooch.

:rolleyes: