PDA

View Full Version : 272 uniformed NYPD cops file for retirement after George Floyd death

jimnyc
06-28-2020, 01:51 PM
I know I would be history. Fuck that. Arrest someone the wrong way and you are now up on charges. Take a chance on getting shot or hit with a brick for doing nothing but standing there. People spitting on you. Folks from afar tossing bottles and fireworks at you. Some finding where police live and going to their homes. Spitting on their food or putting other crap in their food or drinks. Non-stop hatred towards you for wearing a uniform, to protect the people. The people want to take your funding away, and your weapons away.

---

272 uniformed NYPD cops file for retirement after George Floyd death

Cops are hanging up their handcuffs in huge numbers.

The flurry of Finest farewells began after the police-involved killing of George Floyd on May 25, with 272 uniformed cops putting in retirement papers from then through June 24, the NYPD says.

That’s a 49 percent spike from the 183 officers who filed during the same period last year, according to the department.

An NYPD source suggested the recent departures could signal a coming crisis for the 36,000-member department, which also faces a $1 billion budget reduction amid the “defund the police” furor.

“We are worried about a surge in attrition reducing our headcount beyond what we can sustain without new recruits, and are afraid the City Council has not taken the surge into account,” he said.

Police Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch said cops are “at their breaking point, whether they have 20 years on the job or only two. We are all asking the same question: ‘How can we keep doing our job in this environment?’ And that is exactly what the anti-cop crowd wants. If we have no cops because no one wants to be a cop, they will have achieved their ultimate goal.”

Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association, said an “exodus” from the NYPD has begun. He said nearly 80 of his members have recently filed for retirement, and that morale is “at the lowest levels I’ve seen in 38 years.”

The fiery union leader added, “People have had enough and no longer feel it’s worth risking their personal well-being for a thankless position.”

“There is no leadership, no direction, no training for new policies,” he said. “Department brass is paralyzed (and) too afraid to uphold their sworn oath in fear of losing their jobs. Sadly, the people of this city will soon experience what New York City was like in the 1980s.”

Outrage over Floyd’s death sparked nationwide protests, and some NYPD officers see themselves as collateral damage.

“It’s an all-out war on cops and we have no support,” said one veteran Brooklyn cop, who is retiring next month. “I wanted to wait for my 30th anniversary in October, but the handwriting is on the wall.”

Many men and women in blue are fed up, feeling targeted and frustrated that they are expected to fight crime with fewer tools than ever, while getting no backing from politicians, injured in protests, and constantly scrutinized, according to agitated officers and angry police unions.

The weary rank and file also wonder if one bad decision on the job could get them arrested and charged with a crime.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/272-nypd-cops-file-for-retirement-since-floyd-protests/

Abbey Marie
06-28-2020, 02:59 PM
God bless them, and best of luck in retirement. I hope their pensions are intact. I could see some trying to reroute that money to social causes.