truthmatters
09-14-2007, 06:36 AM

diuretic
09-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Truly virtuous people.

truthmatters
09-14-2007, 06:49 AM

09-14-2007, 06:54 AM
i do too. but its not going to happen with the government nannying people.

darin
09-14-2007, 06:57 AM
...or mouthbreathers sopping up Slurm from the arse-end of the giant maggot we call "The Media" and "move-on.org"

5stringJeff
09-14-2007, 08:45 AM
The Amish are definitely pretty cool.

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 09:50 AM
the Amish ARE Christians,

the Amish are following Christ's Words!

God bless them!

and Good Morning everybody! :)

jd

hjmick
09-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I just read this on MSN. The Amish are a wonderful people. Christians who truly live the life.

Cheyenne
09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
While this was a most generous act of unselfishness, we forgive more for ourselves than we do for the ones we forgive.
We can forgive whether the other person accepts it or not.
Unless we learn to sincerely forgive, which can be a most difficult thing to do, we stay stuck, we cannot heal, it consumes our lives, making us bitter, angry & miserable.

manu1959
09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
what a grand gesture....

.... are the forgiving the gunman or helping a widow and her children in their community ...

Hagbard Celine
09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
...or mouthbreathers sopping up Slurm from the arse-end of the giant maggot we call "The Media" and "move-on.org"

That's right. Instead of the "media," everyone should get their information from Fox News.

Dilloduck
09-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Awesome--Let's all forgive the Bush administration. What a gesture that would be besides having a great healing affect on America.

typomaniac
09-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Awesome--Let's all forgive the Bush administration. What a gesture that would be besides having a great healing affect on America.

The gunman is dead, right? When Bush is dead, we'll talk. :slap:

Dilloduck
09-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Excellent point---the dead are much easier to forgive.

however

In a statement released on behalf of the community, the committee said, "Many from Nickel Mines have pointed out that forgiveness is a journey, that you need help from your community of faith and from God ... to make and hold on to a decision not to become a hostage to hostility.

I don't think they make death a requirement for forgiveness---they forgive to decrease hostility.

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 11:23 AM
what a grand gesture....

.... are the forgiving the gunman or helping a widow and her children in their community ...I think they needed to forgive the gunman in order for them to cease their hostility and be able to help the family of the murderer, as Dillo said

KarlMarx
09-14-2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20761374/?gt1=10357

How many here see the beauty in thiis?

Amish donate cash to school gunman’s widow

Updated: 11:21 a.m. PT Sept 13, 2007
PHILADELPHIA - An Amish community that lost five girls in a Pennsylvania schoolhouse shooting massacre last year has donated money to the widow of the gunman, the community said Wednesday.

The Nickel Mines Accountability Committee, which was set up to handle more than $4.3 million in donations from around the world after the shootings, said it had given an unspecified "contribution" to Marie Roberts, a mother of three.

Her husband, Charles Carl Roberts, a local milk truck driver who was not Amish, tied up and shot 10 Amish schoolgirls aged 6 to 14 in their classroom last Oct. 2, killing five of them before turning the gun on himself.
You have to remember that these are religious fundamentalists!!!! and Christians, too!!!! gasp!!!! The only reason no one attacks them is that they have little or no political influence. Otherwise, this news story would have been A) ignored or B) spun to make it look like part of a vast right wing conspiracy

truthmatters
09-14-2007, 12:46 PM

truthmatters
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM

Dilloduck
09-14-2007, 12:54 PM
ooopppsss two

Oh I mean three

Spiritual concepts are not surprisingly all encompassing. It is not meant to cherry pick. Forgiveness is a worthy quality to practice universally. Not just the occasional isolated incident.

truthmatters
09-14-2007, 12:57 PM

manu1959
09-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I think they needed to forgive the gunman in order for them to cease their hostility and be able to help the family of the murderer, as Dillo said

i think they are two different things.....

one is forgivness the other is compassion....

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 01:14 PM
i think they are two different things.....

one is forgivness the other is compassion....

ahhhh but the "lack of forgiveness" halters compassion imo...

but regardless, I do see where you are coming from on this... :)

jd

KarlMarx
09-14-2007, 02:27 PM
I see only one person turning this into some political situation.
I think it's a religious situation too.... I just want to remind your fellow leftists of the words that you use to describe Christians.

Next time I hear about how "the Religious Right" and "Christians" are conspiring to ruin this country, I should remind you of this.

Do you believe the Amish did this just because they're nice? No! They are doing it because they believe that it is a commandment of God. I'm sure they're all anti-abortion, homophobic, oppose gay marriage and so forth too.

JohnDoe
09-14-2007, 02:44 PM
I think it's a religious situation too.... I just want to remind your fellow leftists of the words that you use to describe Christians.

Next time I hear about how "the Religious Right" and "Christians" are conspiring to ruin this country, I should remind you of this.

Do you believe the Amish did this just because they're nice? No! They are doing it because they believe that it is a commandment of God. I'm sure they're all anti-abortion, homophobic, oppose gay marriage and so forth too.

Do you believe most Christians on the right that are being vblasted by SOME on the Left are followers of Christ's words as thoroughly as the Amish, do they turn their cheek as the Amish or do they seek revenge? Are they truely compassionate and forgiving as the Amish?

When Christians on the right, FOLLOW the teachings of Christ as the Amish, maybe there would not be so many calling outs of hypocrisy from the left, regarding them...?

We get from the left, what we deserve to get, imo, because we are not like the Amish, we do NOT follow Christs teachings to the fullest that we can...

now this is just my opine...but look at us...

we say we follw Christ, but we have a kazzillion divorces, a kazillionof us living in sexual sin, we have adulterers left and right, drug addicts the same...yet we claim a higher ground because of what we say? Not by what we do...?

I dunno.... I think the Amish could teach all of us Christians a thing or two! God Bless them!

09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I just read this on MSN. The Amish are a wonderful people. Christians who truly live the life.

very true. i wish more Christians would follow their example. This world would be a better place.

09-14-2007, 04:51 PM

Do you honestly think the Amish would have not forgiven the gunman if he wasnt dead?

09-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I see only one person turning this into some political situation.

my comments have nothing to do with politics, just reality. You cant expect people to seek our virtue if they give up control of their lives to an all powerful state. If someone else is taking care of every aspect of their lives, they cannot develop into people of character, virtue, and godliness.

09-14-2007, 04:54 PM
I agree and I will forgive those who tried to politicise this thread but pointing it out is not showing a lack of forgiveness.

we only need forgiveness if we do something wrong.

Otherwise, you are just making false accusations. But its alright. no one is perfect.

typomaniac
09-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Do you honestly think the Amish would have not forgiven the gunman if he wasnt dead?

You missed the point. I'm not as forgiving as the Amish. Nor are you or Dillo.

09-14-2007, 06:21 PM
You missed the point. I'm not as forgiving as the Amish. Nor are you or Dillo.

yeah we are more forgiving:)