PDA

View Full Version : Woke Is The New Puritanism

Kathianne
07-25-2020, 10:51 AM
This makes total sense to me:

https://www.startribune.com/racial-justice-the-new-religion/571899352/?refresh=true

Racial justice: The new religion?
The "woke" movement is built on shows of "right thinking" and Puritan-style intolerance.
By Katherine Kersten JULY 24, 2020 — 5:57PM

Since the death of George Floyd, a movement that condemns America as “systemically racist” has convulsed our public consciousness. Sixty years after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 — and despite decades of affirmative action, massive social welfare spending and a two-term Black president — we are told that “white supremacy” deforms America today, as it has throughout history.

The movement to eradicate “white privilege” manifests in demands to defund police and in the toppling of statues — not only of Confederate generals, but of figures such as Theodore Roosevelt, Ulysses S. Grant, even George Washington.

Educational, business, media, nonprofit and entertainment institutions have taken up the “systemic racism” mantra with breathtaking speed, issuing statements declaring their virtue and right thinking. Ed. (While using Chinese slave labor and raking in the profits.)

Yet something is profoundly amiss in the frenzied movement that has America in its grip. This movement elevates passion over reason and dogma over data. It contemptuously rejects, and attempts to silence, calls for objective analysis as self-evidently racist.

What is unfolding before our eyes is a new secular religion. For all its claims of “inclusivity,” this new faith is deeply intolerant. It has roots in the American past that would likely surprise its adherents: the Puritan era of our nation’s earliest religious zealots. Progressives are now engaged in doing theology without God. “ Woke is the new Saved,” in the words of commentator John Zmirak.

Parallels abound. One of Puritan theology’s core tenets is “innate depravity” — the doctrine that humans are inherently wicked as a result of original sin. The woke faith preaches an updated version: America’s original sin is white supremacy.

For white people, “having racist assumptions is inevitable,” according to Robin DiAngelo, author of the bestselling book “White Fragility.” “Straight white men have been involved in a witness protection program” that “absolves them of their crimes,” she declares.

The Puritans divided humans into the saved and the damned, the saints and the sinners. The woke faith does the same, classifying people as either oppressors (white) or victims (nonwhite).

Today, a Puritan-inspired witch-hunt mentality is ablaze all around us, bent on destroying the reputations and livelihoods of those who show the slightest hesitation to profess true doctrine. “Bigot and hater” are the new “witch and wizard,” as commentator Mary Eberstadt has observed.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2020, 11:19 AM
This makes total sense to me:

https://www.startribune.com/racial-justice-the-new-religion/571899352/?refresh=true

So very much of this was --SEEDED-- by the messiah, the obama.
One must remember he was lauded as a demigod and he himself displayed much of that attitude , that insane fallacy and hatred of both America and its white rulers. Those that he preached to the world had for centuries raped and ravaged the est of the world along with minorities in this nation. One must remember that his world apology tour adamantly accused this nation of an infinite amount of sins and murders across the world!
Now his seeds are bearing fruits, offering a very dark, tragic and bountiful harvest...
A very sad reality...--Tyr

revelarts
07-25-2020, 08:58 PM
Puritans get a bad rap. there's LOT of great things that come out of the Puritans.
And the "which hunts" in America , as horrible as they were, were limited in region and short in duration. Also they self corrected. That is, the Puritans themselves stopped the "hunts".
Partially becasue the Puritans had foundational text "the bible" and it was wedded to working things out in the REAL world WITHOUT ignoring obvious facts.

the "Woke" thinking Is in fact a very much like a religion.. but people who've managed to escape it liken it more to a CULT than a traditional religion.
the peer pressure, shaming and flat out "gas lighting" has little to do with adherence to any socalled FIX ideas. Anything can make you suspect of being not really part of the group. And they are willing to deny any evidence on the say so of the current dogma or wind of the cult.

reminds me more of invasion of the body snacthers though.

one thing I've noticed from the stories of those that have Abandoned the "woke" mind set is that
1st of all they are all young. and the young tend to like to think in terms that are more ...well Black and White. They also like to be part of something. Often something that will make the world better than before. And they all discovered when they began to think for themselves and question the dogma and/or the tactics that they weren't met with "debate" or a reasoned reply but with personal verbal attacks and questions about their "morally".

Tactics that SOME partisan and religions of all stripes share.

(BTW can anyone say anything negative about Trump on this board yet without being consider a liberal who hates America? What about anything about Police.. or America? without being considered a commie and/or a hater of America who should leave? just wondering. )

Kathianne
07-25-2020, 09:30 PM
Puritans get a bad rap. there's LOT of great things that come out of the Puritans.
And the "which hunts" in America , as horrible as they were, were limited in region and short in duration. Also they self corrected. That is, the Puritans themselves stopped the "hunts".
Partially becasue the Puritans had foundational text "the bible" and it was wedded to working things out in the REAL world WITHOUT ignoring obvious facts.

the "Woke" thinking Is in fact a very much like a religion.. but people who've managed to escape it liken it more to a CULT than a traditional religion.
the peer pressure, shaming and flat out "gas lighting" has little to do with adherence to any socalled FIX ideas. Anything can make you suspect of being not really part of the group. And they are willing to deny any evidence on the say so of the current dogma or wind of the cult.

reminds me more of invasion of the body snacthers though.

one thing I've noticed from the stories of those that have Abandoned the "woke" mind set is that
1st of all they are all young. and the young tend to like to think in terms that are more ...well Black and White. They also like to be part of something. Often something that will make the world better than before. And they all discovered when they began to think for themselves and question the dogma and/or the tactics that they weren't met with "debate" or a reasoned reply but with personal verbal attacks and questions about their "morally".

Tactics that SOME partisan and religions of all stripes share.

(BTW can anyone say anything negative about Trump on this board yet without being consider a liberal who hates America? What about anything about Police.. or America? without being considered a commie and/or a hater of America who should leave? just wondering. )

I've said a few negative things about Trump, still don't like him. Bottom line though, thanks to the McCarthy-like behavior of Schiff and Pelosi ripping up the SOTU speech, I like the current Democrats much less. Thanks now to Covid and the riots and erasing history and reparations, and White fragility, let's just say my decisions are being made for me. The world is truly poised for up-ending and tribes are being chosen, even those of us that don't want tribes.

SassyLady
07-26-2020, 12:18 AM
My tribe will always be the tribe of free speech and gun rights.

revelarts
07-26-2020, 12:53 PM
I've said a few negative things about Trump, still don't like him. Bottom line though, thanks to the McCarthy-like behavior of Schiff and Pelosi ripping up the SOTU speech, I like the current Democrats much less. Thanks now to Covid and the riots and erasing history and reparations, and White fragility, let's just say my decisions are being made for me. The world is truly poised for up-ending and tribes are being chosen, even those of us that don't want tribes.

the sad thing is , the MSM (left and Right), Politicians, Pundits and Activist. have made so many people think that they have to "choose a side".
Making it look like everyone on the "OTHER" side is FOR all the extreme BS they see on TV.

I went to work yesterday with Whites, Blacks, Asians, old, young, Left, Right, and people that have no care for politics. I don't know ANY of them, including me, who are asking for reparations, have joined or supported a riot or "erased history". As far as I know no one in my family or friends who are black want any of that either.
What they want is to get and keep their jobs and biz, and not be harassed by police for no reason. Is that to much to hope for in America?

I was at the store this morning, there were no riots? where there riots at your local stores?
Is what we are seeing on TV what's really going on? Could it be isolated to a minority of a minority? Is there more common ground than what they are showing us?

divide and conquer.
the MSM, the politicians and activist say "we're all in this together" how many of them have lost their jobs? were made to say home "Or Else". Had their offices attacked spray painted? Been harassed by police? couldn't get a test or a bed in the hospital?

I've never been much a Joiner, Always felt a bit out of place in any "TRIBE". While enjoying the company of all of them from time to time.
Frankly I was Surprised at myself when i became a Christian. That's the only tribe i'm sold out to.
All other tribes are far below that as far as my commitment is concerned. But IMO if a part of a tribes aims align with God's... (and reality) or at least doesn't conflict with it, I can support THAT Portion of any Tribes agenda.
But trying to get individuals pointed in God's direction is about the only hope I see at this point.
This 2nd tier Tribal thinking has gotten out of hand, Each side ignoring aspects of God's CORE governing principals. So that, at base, each tribe ends up out of bounds and abusive in some form seems to me. It just becomes about power games.

that's my POV.
Others mileage may vary.

Kathianne
07-26-2020, 02:02 PM
the sad thing is , the MSM (left and Right), Politicians, Pundits and Activist. have made so many people think that they have to "choose a side".
Making it look like everyone on the "OTHER" side is FOR all the extreme BS they see on TV.

I went to work yesterday with Whites, Blacks, Asians, old, young, Left, Right, and people that have no care for politics. I don't know ANY of them, including me, who are asking for reparations, have joined or supported a riot or "erased history". As far as I know no one in my family or friends who are black want any of that either.
What they want is to get and keep their jobs and biz, and not be harassed by police for no reason. Is that to much to hope for in America?

I was at the store this morning, there were no riots? where there riots at your local stores?
Is what we are seeing on TV what's really going on? Could it be isolated to a minority of a minority? Is there more common ground than what they are showing us?

divide and conquer.
the MSM, the politicians and activist say "we're all in this together" how many of them have lost their jobs? were made to say home "Or Else". Had their offices attacked spray painted? Been harassed by police? couldn't get a test or a bed in the hospital?

I've never been much a Joiner, Always felt a bit out of place in any "TRIBE". While enjoying the company of all of them from time to time.
Frankly I was Surprised at myself when i became a Christian. That's the only tribe i'm sold out to.
All other tribes are far below that as far as my commitment is concerned. But IMO if a part of a tribes aims align with God's... (and reality) or at least doesn't conflict with it, I can support THAT Portion of any Tribes agenda.
But trying to get individuals pointed in God's direction is about the only hope I see at this point.
This 2nd tier Tribal thinking has gotten out of hand, Each side ignoring aspects of God's CORE governing principals. So that, at base, each tribe ends up out of bounds and abusive in some form seems to me. It just becomes about power games.

that's my POV.
Others mileage may vary.
At work, response when home

Black Diamond
07-26-2020, 02:46 PM
At work, response when home

Working on Sunday. That's anti-puritan. :cool:

Kathianne
07-26-2020, 03:41 PM
Working on Sunday. That's anti-puritan. :cool:
and yet, I'm woke. ;)

Gunny
07-26-2020, 10:14 PM
and yet, I'm woke. ;)I'll get back to the topic later. I don't have time to read Rev's stuff at the moment :)

First thing I thought of when I read the article was Pink Floyd: "Welcome to the Machine", and the entire lp "Animals" which is based on "1984" :)

So if we've not only history to go by, but these people warning us, how come it's happening anyway?

Kathianne
07-26-2020, 10:36 PM
I'll get back to the topic later. I don't have time to read Rev's stuff at the moment :)

First thing I thought of when I read the article was Pink Floyd: "Welcome to the Machine", and the entire lp "Animals" which is based on "1984" :)

So if we've not only history to go by, but these people warning us, how come it's happening anyway?

Do you have any idea of just how ill informed about history these White BLM folks are? It makes rationality all but impossible with them. They are all in destruction mode, ala 1920s and the Lost Generation, without the bit of fun and all the anger, angst, and anomie.

Gunny
07-27-2020, 11:40 AM
Do you have any idea of just how ill informed about history these White BLM folks are? It makes rationality all but impossible with them. They are all in destruction mode, ala 1920s and the Lost Generation, without the bit of fun and all the anger, angst, and anomie.I have a glaring weakness ... I can't function at the level of stupid these people have gone to. Logical choices backed by fact/history/lessons-learned I can usually see. Once these nimrod leftards went off the rails as far as they have, there's no precedent to predict what they might do.