PDA

View Full Version : Trump Says Will Ban TikTok Amid Pressure On Chinese Owner To Sell

Gunny
08-01-2020, 10:41 AM
I'm all for banning Beijing from my, and everyone else's, PCs. Get the dirtbags out of our country and out of our technology.

August 1, 2020
By Echo Wang, Alexandra Alper and David Shepardson
NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Donald Trump said on Friday he would sign an executive order as soon as Saturday to ban TikTok in the United States, ratcheting up the pressure on the popular short-video app’s Chinese owner to sell it.
The move would be the culmination of U.S. national security concerns over the safety of the personal data that TikTok handles. It would represent a major blow for TikTok’s owner, Beijing-based ByteDance, which became one of only a handful of truly global Chinese conglomerates thanks to app’s commercial success.

Trump’s announcement followed frantic negotiations on Friday between the White House, ByteDance and potential buyers of TikTok, including Microsoft Corp. They failed to produce a deal that would result in the Chinese company shedding the app’s U.S. operations, according to people familiar with the matter. The talks are expected to continue in the coming days.
While Microsoft already owns professional social media network LinkedIn, it would face fewer regulatory hurdles in acquiring TikTok than its more direct competitors, such as FaceBook Inc, one of the sources said.
But ByteDance’s valuation expectations for TikTok of more than $50 billion, and its insistence on retaining a minority stake in the app complicated deal talks, another source said.
“Not the deal that you have been hearing about, that they are going to buy and sell… and Microsoft and another one. We are not an M&A (mergers and acquisitions) country,” Trump said.

It was not immediately clear what authority Trump had to ban TikTok, which has up to 80 million active monthly users in the United States. It was also not clear how the ban would be enforced and what legal challenges it would face.
ByteDance, Microsoft and the U.S. Treasury Department, which chairs the government panel that has been reviewing ByteDance’s ownership of TikTok, declined to comment.
“While we do not comment on rumors or speculation, we are confident in the long-term success of TikTok,” TikTok said in a statement.
As relations between the United States and China deteriorate over trade, Hong Kong’s autonomy, cyber security and the spread of the novel coronavirus, TikTok has emerged as a flashpoint in the dispute between the world’s two largest economies.
Last week, the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs unanimously passed a bill that would bar U.S. federal employees from using TikTok on government-issued devices. It will be taken up by the full Senate for a vote. The House of Representatives has already voted for a similar measure.
ByteDance has been considering a range of options for TikTok amid pressure from the United States to relinquish control of the app, which allows users to create short videos with special effects and has become wildly popular with U.S. teenagers.
ByteDance has received a proposal from some of its investors, including Sequoia and General Atlantic, to transfer majority ownership of TikTok to them, Reuters reported on Wednesday. The proposal values TikTok at about $50 billion, but some ByteDance executives believe the app is worth more than that.
ByteDance has also fielded acquisition interest in TikTok from other companies and investment firms, Reuters has reported.
ByteDance acquired Shanghai-based video app Musical.ly in a $1 billion deal in 2017 and relaunched it as TikTok the following year. ByteDance did not seek approval for the acquisition from CFIUS, which reviews deals for potential national security risks. Reuters reported last year that CFIUS had opened an investigation into TikTok.

The United States has been increasingly scrutinizing app developers over the personal data they handle, especially if some of it involves U.S. military or intelligence personnel. Ordering the divestment of TikTok would not be the first time the White House has taken action over such concerns.
Earlier this year, Chinese gaming company Beijing Kunlun Tech Co Ltd sold Grindr LLC, a popular gay dating app it bought in 2016, for $620 million after being ordered by CFIUS to divest.
In 2018, CFIUS forced China’s Ant Financial to scrap plans to buy MoneyGram International Inc over concerns about the safety of data that could identify U.S. citizens.
VALUABLE STARTUP
ByteDance was valued at as much as $140 billion earlier this year when one of its shareholders, Cheetah Mobile, sold a small stake in a private deal, Reuters has reported. The startup’s investors include Japan’s SoftBank Group Corp.
The bulk of ByteDance’s revenue comes from advertising on apps under its Chinese operations including Douyin – a Chinese version of TikTok – and news aggregator app Jinri Toutiao, as well as video-streaming app Xigua and Pipixia, an app for jokes and humorous videos.
Some of the company’s other overseas apps include work collaboration tool Lark and music streaming app Resso.
TikTok CEO Kevin Mayer, a former Walt Disney Co executive, said in a blog post on Wednesday that the company was committed to following U.S. laws, and was allowing experts to observe its moderation policies and examine the code that drives its algorithms.
(Reporting by Echo Wang in New York and Alexandra Alper and David Shepardson in Washington, D.C.; Additional reporting by Nandita Bose in Washington, D.C.; Editing by Diane Craft, Aurora Ellis, Daniel Wallis and William Mallard)
https://www.oann.com/u-s-set-to-unveil-crackdown-on-chinas-bytedance-over-tiktok-sources/

Gunny
08-01-2020, 01:33 PM
I have to add: I take REAL issue with dumbass sheeple Americans funding China to spy on us.

Black Diamond
08-01-2020, 01:40 PM
I have to add: I take REAL issue with dumbass sheeple Americans funding China to spy on us.

Trump is against China. That's enough for them.

Gunny
08-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Trump is against China. That's enough for them.I don't think most people know who owns Tik Tok, nor the significance of it. My daughter and oldest granddaughter had no idea.

Same with Amazon. Amazon may be an "American company", but if you look a little deeper into what they sell, you get the usual brand names followed by "Amazon's choice" which is a bunch of Chinese companies playing "Americans". You can tell by the company names. They make about as much sense as this idiot bot that keeps posting here's user ID. One off the top of my head "koofandi". Amazon's choice for (I think) men's shirts. Who ever heard of that company? Who uses a name like that? Oh yeah. Our Chinese 5 O'clock Charlie :rolleyes:

I'm pretty much on board with Trump's opinions of China. Anything he does to hamper that country's imperialism is okay in my book.

Gunny
08-01-2020, 02:11 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53622799

This one's a good read. The Brits love their verbosity, but you can't fault them for a lack of thoroughness for the most part :)

The article explains the different players, countries, and stances and reasons for those stances.

jimnyc
08-01-2020, 02:16 PM
All for it. Anything related to China is likely some sort of privacy invading app spyed on by the govt.

Gunny
08-01-2020, 04:01 PM
"We may be banning TikTok," President Trump told reporters, saying an announcement could come as soon as this weekend.
He added there were other options - but how might a ban work?
One obvious starting place would be to order Apple and Google to remove the app from their online stores.
This might be done by adding TikTok's owner Bytedance to a Commerce Department entity list, and forbidding US firms from working with it - a similar tactic was used to stop Google providing its apps to Huawei.
That would prevent new users from being able to download the app.
Existing users would be prevented from receiving notifications and installing updates, although they would still have the app on their devices.
One way to address this would be to tell Apple and Google to use a "kill switch" facility they both have, which lets them remotely wipe or prevent blacklisted apps from launching.
A Brazilian judge once threatened to force the two firms to use the power in 2014, (https://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-orders-apple-to-use-iphone-app-kill-switch-2014-8?r=US&IR=T) but ultimately backed off.
Apple and Google would likely be loathe to take control of users' smartphones in such a way and might even resist such an order.

So an easier alternative might be to compel local internet service providers to block access to TikTok's servers.
This would have the added advantage of preventing TikTok's videos being viewable via its website.
India took such a measure when it banned TikTok and dozens of other Chinese apps. And users have reported being unable to circumvent the block by using a virtual private network (VPN) (https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/tiktok-stops-working-india-on-vpn/).
But it's not clear how Mr Trump would enforce such an order.
A less draconian approach would be to ban TikTok from being installed onto federal employees' work phones.
Congress has already voted in favour of the idea and the Senate is still considering it. But that would be a much less dramatic move than Trump seems to be hinting at.

A further possibility is that the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (Cfius) - which is chaired by the US Treasury - rules against Bytedance's takeover of the app Musical.ly, whose users were migrated over to TikTok in 2018.
Musical.ly was owned by another Chinese start-up.
But Cfius has the power to review takeovers that potentially pose a national security risk. And because Bytedance did not seek clearance for the acquisition at the time, the committee was able to launch a post-deal probe last year.
If Cfius rejects the takeover, it could order Bytedance to shut down the service in the US.
The question is whether a spun-off TikTok would be allowed to continue under different ownership as an alternative, perhaps even with a rebrand.
Microsoft is reportedly in talks to acquire the business - some internet wags have already suggested it might be called Microsoft Teens (a play on the the firm's Teams service).
The US tech giant would presumably be viewed as a more trustworthy guardian of the data the app collects, and assuage fears the China might still be somehow accessing its logs.
When asked about the prospect of such a deal, Microsoft declined to comment.

What does TikTok say?"One hundred million Americans come to TikTok for entertainment and connection.
"We've hired nearly 1,000 people to our US team this year alone, and are proud to be hiring another 10,000 employees.
"TikTok US user data is stored in the US, with strict controls on employee access. TikTok's biggest investors come from the US.
"We are committed to protecting our users' privacy and safety as we continue working to bring joy to families and meaningful careers to those who create on our platform."

TikTok Timeline
March 2012: Bytedance is established in China and launches Neihan Duanzi - an app to help Chinese users share memes
September 2016: Bytedance launches the short-form video app Douyin in China
August 2017: An international version of Douyin is launched under the brand TikTok in some parts of the world, but not the US at this time
November 2017: Bytedance buys lip-synch music app Musical.ly
May 2018: TikTok declared world's most downloaded non-game iOS app over first three months of the year, by market research firm Sensor Tower
August 2018: Bytedance announces it is shutting down Musical.ly and is moving users over to TikTok
February 2019: TikTok fined in US over Musical.ly's handling of under-13s' data
October 2019: Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg publicly criticises TikTok, accusing it of censoring protests
November 2019: Cfius opens national security investigation into TikTok
May 2020: TikTok hires Disney executive Kevin Meyer to become the division's chief executive and chief operating officer of Bytedance
July 2020: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and then President Trump, say TikTok may be banned
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53621492

I think one of my biggest issues with this crap is sort of playing out in my house. Oldest granddaughter is a freakin' genius. A billy goat's got more common sense, but when it comes to computers she's a whiz. Daughter installs parental controls and this twit is around them in an hour. Problem is, she's 11, and the aforementioned no common sense.

On a larger scale, I compare this to the "empty" cartoons my granddaughters will put on the tube. There is no value to them. It's mindless noise.

A good way to brainwash people to not think for themselves.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-01-2020, 04:58 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53622799

This one's a good read. The Brits love their verbosity, but you can't fault them for a lack of thoroughness for the most part :)

The article explains the different players, countries, and stances and reasons for those stances.

""

What did Ms Pappas say?
TikTok's US general manager said the company had heard an "outpouring of support" for the app, and thanked the "millions of Americans" who used it every day.

"We're not planning on going anywhere," she said. ""

That is what the Nazi's said day before D-DAY..
Before they saw the full force of - vengeance and its mighty wrath fall upon them..-Tyr

icansayit
08-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Not so long ago. Right here on DP. We had several Trolls drop in, and some thought they were from Russia. For everyone's info.

There are ways to determine WHERE those trolls are, and who supports their intrusion into the Internet as much as they do. Sadly. It has been proven that China, in connection with many American leftist organizations...and Democrats, with several RINO's are also involved in the DEMISE of our nation.
Please don't ask me to PROVE what I said above. Let's just say "He's old and talking out of his butt with this crap, and let it go there." If that's what you want to think. GO FOR IT.
Just trying to help those who Do Not Want to learn the Truth.