PDA

View Full Version : Token Fraud

Gunny
09-15-2007, 10:09 AM
ROCHESTER, N.H. -- A Massachusetts man who insists his New Hampshire highway tokens are still valid just spent three days in jail because he insisted on using two tokens to pay a 50-cent toll.

Thomas Jensen, 68, of Braintree, said the state broke a contract with him and everyone else who bought tokens by refusing to accept them after January of last year. He was convicted of theft of services for continuing to use tokens after they were phased out.

more ... http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/14112594/detail.html

Wow. And where is that defender of those disenfranchised by gov't conspiracy, TM, to stand up for this man's rights? I bet he was a democrat and the state trooper a Republican ....:laugh2:

diuretic
09-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Some stupidity is patently indefensible. I don't know about the legality of this but I bet somewhere in the state constitution of NH is a piece of legislation that says the state can do this. It could even be in the enabling legislation for the toll payments. So everyone in NH thought they'd just go along with it but this bloke decided the law didn't apply to him. I mean he refused several times to ameliorate his situation and then went to prison. No doubt he feels vindicated.

NH - Live Free or...sorry, Pay the Tolls or Go to the Slammer

Yurt
09-15-2007, 07:54 PM
If they guy exchanged value for these tokens, I think he has a point. It is fine not to make any more tokens, like when the US treasury makes new bills they faze out the old ones, not make them obsolete.

What is the state doing with the money the guy paid for the tokens with?