PDA

View Full Version : Kamala Harris, her start, and at least Wiki so far...

jimnyc
08-19-2020, 05:46 PM
Hey Kath, did you refer to this in the past or was it someone else?

Looking around at her past, and how she got started, the affair with Willie Brown.... Seems Wikipedia wiped much of the story away. Hell, they don't even mention that Brown was married still.

In 1990, Harris was hired as a deputy district attorney in Alameda County, California, where she was noted as being "an able prosecutor on the way up". In 1994, California Assembly speaker Willie Brown (with whom Harris was in a relationship) appointed Harris to the state Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board and later the California Medical Assistance Commission. Harris took a six month leave of absence in 1994 from her duties as prosecutor, then afterwards resumed as prosecutor during the years she sat on the boards. Harris's connection to Brown was noted in media reportage as part of a pattern of Californian political leaders appointing "friends and loyal political soldiers" to the commissions. Harris defended her work.

In the above, That's all they mention now.

And thanks to the Wayback Machine, the entire section that was cut out:

Willie Brown

In 1994, Harris met and began dating the then Assembly Speaker, Willie Brown, who was 30 years older and still legally married at the time. Harris expressed that they met because their social circles overlapped:

"Black people who go to college have about two degrees of separation with other black professionals, and those who go to law school have even less. The networks of black lawyers in California are small. Brown and I had lots of mutual friends.”

Brown began introducing Harris to his political network, resulting in Harris' being increasingly featured in local newspapers and society columns:

"Brown [was] the darling of the well-to-do set...And she was the girlfriend, and so she met, you know, everybody who’s anybody, as a result of being his girl.”

Later that year, Harris took leave of her position in Alameda County when Brown appointed her to the Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. The position paid $100,000 per year. She served on the board for six months. Then, during a lame-duck session, Brown appointed her to a three-year term on the California Medical Assistance Commission, overseeing Medi-Cal service contracts. The Commission reportedly met about once per month and paid board members over $70,000 per year. Harris said of taking the patronage positions:

"These jobs were created before I was born. Whether you agree or disagree with the system, I did the work. I worked hard to keep St. Luke's Hospital open. I brought a level of life knowledge and common sense to the jobs. I mean, if you were asked to be on a board that regulated medical care, would you say no?”

In 1995, the press speculated that Brown might appoint Harris as chief deputy district attorney, to work under the newly elected Terence Hallinan. However, Harris ended her relationship with Brown, who had a reputation as a womanizer, shortly after his Mayoral inauguration. She would later deny that Brown had any tangible influence on her career, outside of introducing her to people, which her supporters point out is not uncommon for many people with political ambitions. She also expressed frustration at her continued linking to him in the media. Referring to him as an "albatross hanging around my neck," she stated:

“I have no doubt that I am independent of him [Brown] –– and that he would probably right now express some fright about the fact that he cannot control me. His career is over; I will be alive and kicking for the next 40 years. I do not owe him a thing.”

https://i.imgur.com/uPapkEF.png

http://web.archive.org/web/20190829093123/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris

KarlMarx
08-19-2020, 06:22 PM
In Ms Harris’s book on career tips, there is a chapter titled “ Best positions to assume when you’re after a position”

Gunny
08-19-2020, 08:10 PM
Anyone see a recent (since she was announced as running mate) MSM article on the topic?:rolleyes: Can you imagine if the GOP ran a candidate that slept her way to the top? Probably hear THAT wail and howl from Mars.

jimnyc
08-20-2020, 10:51 AM
I haven't posted the Joe and Hoe slogan and images. But there is truth to it if you explain it in a better fashion. I could never say how much she truly felt for Willie Brown - but it's a fact that she then benefited from the relationship, career and financially.

Only so many ways to tell that story. Each one makes Brown look like a sugar daddy of sorts.

So rather than find a way to explain it - they are making it disappear, and anyone that dares bring it up anyway is a sexist pig. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Hey Kath, did you refer to this in the past or was it someone else?

Looking around at her past, and how she got started, the affair with Willie Brown.... Seems Wikipedia wiped much of the story away. Hell, they don't even mention that Brown was married still.

In the above, That's all they mention now.

And thanks to the Wayback Machine, the entire section that was cut out:

Willie Brown

In 1994, Harris met and began dating the then Assembly Speaker, Willie Brown, who was 30 years older and still legally married at the time. Harris expressed that they met because their social circles overlapped:

"Black people who go to college have about two degrees of separation with other black professionals, and those who go to law school have even less. The networks of black lawyers in California are small. Brown and I had lots of mutual friends.”

Brown began introducing Harris to his political network, resulting in Harris' being increasingly featured in local newspapers and society columns:

"Brown [was] the darling of the well-to-do set...And she was the girlfriend, and so she met, you know, everybody who’s anybody, as a result of being his girl.”

Later that year, Harris took leave of her position in Alameda County when Brown appointed her to the Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. The position paid $100,000 per year. She served on the board for six months. Then, during a lame-duck session, Brown appointed her to a three-year term on the California Medical Assistance Commission, overseeing Medi-Cal service contracts. The Commission reportedly met about once per month and paid board members over $70,000 per year. Harris said of taking the patronage positions:

"These jobs were created before I was born. Whether you agree or disagree with the system, I did the work. I worked hard to keep St. Luke's Hospital open. I brought a level of life knowledge and common sense to the jobs. I mean, if you were asked to be on a board that regulated medical care, would you say no?”

In 1995, the press speculated that Brown might appoint Harris as chief deputy district attorney, to work under the newly elected Terence Hallinan. However, Harris ended her relationship with Brown, who had a reputation as a womanizer, shortly after his Mayoral inauguration. She would later deny that Brown had any tangible influence on her career, outside of introducing her to people, which her supporters point out is not uncommon for many people with political ambitions. She also expressed frustration at her continued linking to him in the media. Referring to him as an "albatross hanging around my neck," she stated:

“I have no doubt that I am independent of him [Brown] –– and that he would probably right now express some fright about the fact that he cannot control me. His career is over; I will be alive and kicking for the next 40 years. I do not owe him a thing.”

https://i.imgur.com/uPapkEF.png

http://web.archive.org/web/20190829093123/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris

Probably, her mama has made referenced to it! Seriously. As her dad reminded folks that his family owned the largest plantation, with slaves, in Jamaica! I don't think her family is crazy about her. ;)

Gunny
08-20-2020, 06:33 PM