PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning!

NightTrain
08-21-2020, 11:50 AM
Sorry I haven't been around much lately. The wife and I took a week to hang out at a killer lodge up in the Talkeetna Mountains at the headwaters of the Talkeetna River, then I jumped on a plane to Western AK.

My buddy and I are hanging out in Nome. The rules are that we quarantine for 7 days, then can proceed to go out and work. Had my nose swabbed 3 times in 24 hours - a test the day before, a test at the airport and another one when we arrived. Seemed a bit excessive, but that's how things are.

So, we're getting paid 8 hours a day to sit here watching movies on Amazon - got my laptop hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable, so things aren't too bad. I got a local cabbie to make a run to the liquor store for us, and the local grocery store to deliver food, so we're set up. Bored, but set up.

One cool thing on our agenda is going to Savoonga. That's on St. Lawrence Island, 30 miles off the coast of Russia. I've been all over AK, but never out in the Bering Sea within sight of Russia, so that'll be a first.

Maybe Balu can take a boat out to the International Date Line and we can have a beer?

Kathianne
08-21-2020, 11:54 AM
I'd be good watching movies and getting paid. ;) Not keen on those tests though.

NightTrain
08-21-2020, 12:00 PM
I'd be good watching movies and getting paid. ;) Not keen on those tests though.

Yeah, it makes my eyes water remembering the nurse and that unholy stick probing around up my nose. Blech.

hjmick
08-21-2020, 02:16 PM
If you haven't already, you need to check out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Kathianne
08-21-2020, 02:35 PM
My favorite!

NightTrain
08-21-2020, 02:48 PM

I've never watched it... guess I'll look it up here in a bit and give it a whirl.

hjmick
08-21-2020, 03:52 PM
I've never watched it... guess I'll look it up here in a bit and give it a whirl.

I was skeptical at first. I had seen that it had received numerous nominations for awards, Golden Globe... Emmy... frequently rolling my eyes when their nomination was announced, scoffing...

Then, somehow, my wife accidentally signs up for the 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime so I figure I'll check it out. After binge watching the first three seasons, I'm jonesing for the new season. It is honestly one of the best shows I've watched in a very long time.

Kathianne
08-21-2020, 03:56 PM
I was skeptical at first. I had seen that it had received numerous nominations for awards, Golden Globe... Emmy... frequently rolling my eyes when their nomination was announced, scoffing...

Then, somehow, my wife accidentally signs up for the 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime so I figure I'll check it out. After binge watching the first three seasons, I'm jonesing for the new season. It is honestly one of the best shows I've watched in a very long time.

It is so good! The characters and writing are top notch!

hjmick
08-21-2020, 04:18 PM
It is so good! The characters and writing are top notch!

And the cast...