PDA

View Full Version : Hispanics shift hospitals' resources

stephanie
09-15-2007, 12:29 PM
11:26 PM CDT on Friday, September 14, 2007
By JASON ROBERSON / The Dallas Morning News
jroberson@dallasnews.com

LOUIS DeLUCA/DMN
Dr. John A. Menchaca checks the paperwork on 16-month-old Consuelo Canchola as her mother Amy Ortiz dresses her. Last year, for the first time, fully half of Parkland Hospital's patients were Hispanic.

Over at Methodist Dallas Medical Center in Oak Cliff and Methodist Charlton Medical Center in southwest Dallas, 22 percent of patients last year were Hispanic – up from 14 percent just 10 years ago.

Meanwhile, doctors and clinics across the area say they are seeing growing numbers of Hispanic patients, many of whom don't speak English and have their own cultural attitudes toward treatment and ethnic vulnerabilities to disease.

This shift has meant changes in the way health care professionals interact with those in their care, and in the kinds of problems doctors must look out for.

At Dallas hospitals, there are now signs in Spanish as well as "translation phones." Texas medical schools are teaching Spanish to the state's future doctors. And physicians and insurers are focusing more on diabetes, a particular problem among Hispanics.

Such accommodations are not without controversy.

Some argue not enough is being done to tailor care to a group expected to account for nearly 60 percent of the state's population in 30 years. They say doctors working in Texas should be required to speak Spanish, or at least have a better understanding of the Hispanic culture.

But others bristle at the notion doctors should spend time in medical school learning a foreign language rather than honing their craft. "I think the reasonable thing is for doctors to learn how to practice medicine well," said Dr. Jerry Frankel, a Plano urologist who recently retired after 33 years. "If you make the doctor speak Spanish, then what about Chinese? ...Where do you draw the line?"

And the accommodations go well beyond language.

At Parkland, for example, all medical forms are now available in Spanish and the hospital is installing Spanish signs. More than 300 special telephones with two phone handsets serve as electronic translators throughout the hospital. Patients talk into one receiver in their native tongue to a distant translator about their ailment; their doctor listens at the second handset as the translator explains the problem in English.

Texas Health Resources, the largest hospital system in North Texas, has made its entire Web site – www.texashealth.org – available in Spanish as well as English. The system, which includes Harris and Presbyterian hospitals, says it is the first, and so far only, local hospital system to do so. Many of Texas Health's 13 hospitals hold health fairs with names like "Fiesta Diabetes" and "Hispanic Wellness Fair."

In San Antonio, the country's largest Hispanic-majority city, Methodist Healthcare System last month became the first and only U.S. hospital to be designated a "Hispanic Healthcare Hospital" by the Diversity Health Care Program of Mexico, a Mexico-based advocacy group for better Hispanic health.

Methodist Healthcare impressed the judges with Spanish used in everything from legal documents to the magazines on waiting room coffee tables.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/091507dnbushispanichealth.29186bf.html

Hugh Lincoln
09-15-2007, 05:23 PM
This is how nations, cultures and people die. They are taken over and won't fight back. It's all "innocent" little steps like this, like "press one for English."

Whites, Americans, English-speakers, whatever... we are the new minority, the new vanishing breed. In less than 50 years, WE will be the U.S. minority. Sadly, most whites don't care, and say "I'm not a racist." Well, good for you. You'll be a disappeared race of non-racists, rotting under the soil your ancestors bled for because you were too cowardly to fight back.

Kathianne
09-15-2007, 05:26 PM
This is how nations, cultures and people die. They are taken over and won't fight back. It's all "innocent" little steps like this, like "press one for English."

Whites, Americans, English-speakers, whatever... we are the new minority, the new vanishing breed. In less than 50 years, WE will be the U.S. minority. Sadly, most whites don't care, and say "I'm not a racist." Well, good for you. You'll be a disappeared race of non-racists, rotting under the soil your ancestors bled for because you were too cowardly to fight back.

Not being facetious, sort of like the Wampanoags, Aztecs, Mayans, etc.

Guernicaa
09-15-2007, 05:31 PM
And the Iroquois.

5stringJeff should know about the Iroquois...he lives in Syracuse.

Kathianne
09-15-2007, 05:34 PM
And the Iroquois.

Yet, it's what you advocate, knowing better...

bullypulpit
09-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Texas is a border state with disproportionately higher numbers of Hispanics, both legal and otherwise, who either lack health insurance through their employers, or are working under the table. It is natural then to expect a higher number of Hispanics coming through the ER's . And with the Hispanic population of Texas, and the nation expanding as it is, we in the health-care community will have to adapt.

When people are unable to afford health-care, don't have insurance for whatever reason, regardless of their race or culture, the Emergency Room of their local hospital becomes their primary health-care provider these patients come in sicker and require hospitalization for longer periods of time than those who have access to affordable primary health-care. That coupled with the fact that emergency room visits are the most expensive form of available healthcare, as an average ER visit costs around $800-$900 dollars. A physician office visit is around $150-$200. Do the math. For those without insurance, the money has to come from somewhere, so it results in higher rates charged to those with insurance which, in turn, are passed on to those who are insured in the form of higher premiums which, in turn, force more people off of insurance roles as they can no longer afford their premiums and/or co-pays. It's a vicious cycle, and we ALL pay for it whether we want to accept it or not.

Gunny
09-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Texas is a border state with disproportionately higher numbers of Hispanics, both legal and otherwise, who either lack health insurance through their employers, or are working under the table. It is natural then to expect a higher number of Hispanics coming through the ER's . And with the Hispanic population of Texas, and the nation expanding as it is, we in the health-care community will have to adapt.

When people are unable to afford health-care, don't have insurance for whatever reason, regardless of their race or culture, the Emergency Room of their local hospital becomes their primary health-care provider these patients come in sicker and require hospitalization for longer periods of time than those who have access to affordable primary health-care. That coupled with the fact that emergency room visits are the most expensive form of available healthcare, as an average ER visit costs around $800-$900 dollars. A physician office visit is around $150-$200. Do the math. For those without insurance, the money has to come from somewhere, so it results in higher rates charged to those with insurance which, in turn, are passed on to those who are insured in the form of higher premiums which, in turn, force more people off of insurance roles as they can no longer afford their premiums and/or co-pays. It's a vicious cycle, and we ALL pay for it whether we want to accept it or not.

Very good. A moment of nonpartisan clarity, and spot on. :poke:

JohnDoe
09-16-2007, 08:03 AM
11:26 PM CDT on Friday, September 14, 2007
By JASON ROBERSON / The Dallas Morning News
jroberson@dallasnews.com

LOUIS DeLUCA/DMN
Dr. John A. Menchaca checks the paperwork on 16-month-old Consuelo Canchola as her mother Amy Ortiz dresses her. Last year, for the first time, fully half of Parkland Hospital's patients were Hispanic.

Over at Methodist Dallas Medical Center in Oak Cliff and Methodist Charlton Medical Center in southwest Dallas, 22 percent of patients last year were Hispanic – up from 14 percent just 10 years ago.

Meanwhile, doctors and clinics across the area say they are seeing growing numbers of Hispanic patients, many of whom don't speak English and have their own cultural attitudes toward treatment and ethnic vulnerabilities to disease.

This shift has meant changes in the way health care professionals interact with those in their care, and in the kinds of problems doctors must look out for.

At Dallas hospitals, there are now signs in Spanish as well as "translation phones." Texas medical schools are teaching Spanish to the state's future doctors. And physicians and insurers are focusing more on diabetes, a particular problem among Hispanics.

Such accommodations are not without controversy.

Some argue not enough is being done to tailor care to a group expected to account for nearly 60 percent of the state's population in 30 years. They say doctors working in Texas should be required to speak Spanish, or at least have a better understanding of the Hispanic culture.

But others bristle at the notion doctors should spend time in medical school learning a foreign language rather than honing their craft. "I think the reasonable thing is for doctors to learn how to practice medicine well," said Dr. Jerry Frankel, a Plano urologist who recently retired after 33 years. "If you make the doctor speak Spanish, then what about Chinese? ...Where do you draw the line?"

And the accommodations go well beyond language.

At Parkland, for example, all medical forms are now available in Spanish and the hospital is installing Spanish signs. More than 300 special telephones with two phone handsets serve as electronic translators throughout the hospital. Patients talk into one receiver in their native tongue to a distant translator about their ailment; their doctor listens at the second handset as the translator explains the problem in English.

Texas Health Resources, the largest hospital system in North Texas, has made its entire Web site – www.texashealth.org – available in Spanish as well as English. The system, which includes Harris and Presbyterian hospitals, says it is the first, and so far only, local hospital system to do so. Many of Texas Health's 13 hospitals hold health fairs with names like "Fiesta Diabetes" and "Hispanic Wellness Fair."

In San Antonio, the country's largest Hispanic-majority city, Methodist Healthcare System last month became the first and only U.S. hospital to be designated a "Hispanic Healthcare Hospital" by the Diversity Health Care Program of Mexico, a Mexico-based advocacy group for better Hispanic health.

Methodist Healthcare impressed the judges with Spanish used in everything from legal documents to the magazines on waiting room coffee tables.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/091507dnbushispanichealth.29186bf.html

Is Methodist Healthcare a Private Organization? If they are, shouldn't they be allowed to give focus, where they please?

Not that I like this trend of illegals coming in to this country!!!

JohnDoe
09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
bully did hit the problem, right on the nose, regarding our healthcare problems, but the illegal immigrant problem does add to this vicious cycle imo.

Gunny
09-16-2007, 08:10 AM
bully did hit the problem, right on the nose, regarding our healthcare problems, but the illegal immigrant problem does add to this vicious cycle imo.

Add to it? They are THE cause of it here. Illegal immigrants cannot be denied health care, end of story. Citizens who actually have insurance foot that bill.

JohnDoe
09-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Add to it? They are THE cause of it here. Illegal immigrants cannot be denied health care, end of story. Citizens who actually have insurance foot that bill.

There are now 45 million people without health care, and I don't believe there are more than 15 million :eek: illegals here...

I think it would still be a problem without illegals, but certainly not as "great" of a problem.....

(p.s. I am just arguing with you for the sake of arguing! ;) )

Gunny
09-16-2007, 08:27 AM
There are now 45 million people without health care, and I don't believe there are more than 15 million :eek: illegals here...

I think it would still be a problem without illegals, but certainly not as "great" of a problem.....

(p.s. I am just arguing with you for the sake of arguing! ;) )

And it depends on where you live how much of a percentage they represent. Hispanics are the majority where I live, and we are the closest major US city to the border in South Central Texas. I would asusme that would make it more of proble here than in Fargo ...

JohnDoe
09-16-2007, 08:41 AM
And it depends on where you live how much of a percentage they represent. Hispanics are the majority where I live, and we are the closest major US city to the border in South Central Texas. I would asusme that would make it more of proble here than in Fargo ...

We don't even have any African American's up here, less than 1% in the whole state...We do have Canadians....that visit, some for our Health care, but they are paying customers.

I believe on the Stats, the state is 98% white americans, the other 2% is made up mostly of people that claim to Native Americans, then French, German, British, Canadian.

But we still have a HUGE uninsured Healthcare problem up here primarily because the pay scale range up here is minimal, unless you are a fisherman, Lobsterman, logging/paper industry, farmer, or hotel owner on the beach. Healthcare costs are prohibitive for many, unless they get help from the State. Our State is one that has a State Health Care program that does help the poor to lower middle class with paying for their private healthcare Insurance, but those in the middle/middle class seem to be left out of the financial loop of assistance, so they are losing out, with no Insurance... because the state assistance is minimal for them and their share is still cost prohibitive.

Any illegal up where I live, would stick out like a sore thumb imo! So, we don't have your problems, but we do have our own...

Gunny
09-16-2007, 08:52 AM
We don't even have any African American's up here, less than 1% in the whole state...We do have Canadians....that visit, some for our Health care, but they are paying customers.

I believe on the Stats, the state is 98% white americans, the other 2% is made up mostly of people that claim to Native Americans, then French, German, British, Canadian.

But we still have a HUGE uninsured Healthcare problem up here primarily because the pay scale range up here is minimal, unless you are a fisherman, Lobsterman, logging/paper industry, farmer, or hotel owner on the beach. Healthcare costs are prohibitive for many, unless they get help from the State. Our State is one that has a State Health Care program that does help the poor to lower middle class with paying for their private healthcare Insurance, but those in the middle/middle class seem to be left out of the financial loop of assistance, so they are losing out, with no Insurance... because the state assistance is minimal for them and their share is still cost prohibitive.

Any illegal up where I live, would stick out like a sore thumb imo! So, we don't have your problems, but we do have our own...

The middle class gets screwed just about everywhere, and in all facets. I, for one, am quite sick of it.

Abbey Marie
09-16-2007, 12:32 PM
The middle class gets screwed just about everywhere, and in all facets. I, for one, am quite sick of it.

Especially with college financial aid. :mad:

Hugh Lincoln
09-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Especially with college financial aid. :mad:

Right. The poor get a free ride from the government and the college, and the rich get a free ride from mom and dad. The rest of us are stuck in loans for the rest of our lives.

truthmatters
09-16-2007, 01:27 PM
there are better ways of dealing with these problems and they involve some type of care for everyone.

This is what happens in a for profit system of insurance companies and healthcare.

You can try ad make it a black and white isssue but it is not.

The illegals are only one small piece of this and the vast majority is a problem of denying care or helping people and speading the cost evenly to the insurance Cos, the Healtcare Cos, the pharma Cos, and the individual.

Our system is broken and will only get worse.

bullypulpit
09-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Is Methodist Healthcare a Private Organization? If they are, shouldn't they be allowed to give focus, where they please?

Not that I like this trend of illegals coming in to this country!!!

For profit health-care is an oxymoron. You can't turn a profit in health-care without cutting corners somewhere, and it's usually the care-givers...RN's, LPN's, nurse aides, techs...Who take it in the neck as staffing is the single greatest cost of our health-care system. So, staff numbers are cut to the bare bone, usually at some state-mandated minimum level which is all to often inadequate. As a result, patient care suffers, and patient outcomes decline with higher patient loads

Consider the following:

<blockquote>1. In a given unit the optimal workload for a nurse was four patients. Increasing the workload to 6 resulted in patients being 14% more likely to die within 30 days of admission. A workload of 8 patients versus 4 was associated with a 31% increase in mortality.
2.Higher nurse staffing levels resulted in reduced numbers of urinary track infections, pneumonia, upper gastrointestinal bleeding and shock in medical patients and lower rates of "failure to rescue" and urinary track infections in major surgery patients. - <a href=http://www.icn.ch/matters_rnptratio.htm>International Council of Nurses</a></blockquote>

Health-care is not a privilege for those who can afford it, it is a basic human need. The quest for ever higher returns and profits ultimately serves no one and destroys the health-care system.

<blockquote>34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. - Matthew 25: 34-40</blockquote>

JohnDoe
09-17-2007, 08:45 AM
For profit health-care is an oxymoron. You can't turn a profit in health-care without cutting corners somewhere, and it's usually the care-givers...RN's, LPN's, nurse aides, techs...Who take it in the neck as staffing is the single greatest cost of our health-care system. So, staff numbers are cut to the bare bone, usually at some state-mandated minimum level which is all to often inadequate. As a result, patient care suffers, and patient outcomes decline with higher patient loads

Consider the following:

<blockquote>1. In a given unit the optimal workload for a nurse was four patients. Increasing the workload to 6 resulted in patients being 14% more likely to die within 30 days of admission. A workload of 8 patients versus 4 was associated with a 31% increase in mortality.
2.Higher nurse staffing levels resulted in reduced numbers of urinary track infections, pneumonia, upper gastrointestinal bleeding and shock in medical patients and lower rates of "failure to rescue" and urinary track infections in major surgery patients. - <a href=http://www.icn.ch/matters_rnptratio.htm>International Council of Nurses</a></blockquote>

Health-care is not a privilege for those who can afford it, it is a basic human need. The quest for ever higher returns and profits ultimately serves no one and destroys the health-care system.

<blockquote>34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. - Matthew 25: 34-40</blockquote>

I love this passage in Scripture... the Goats and the Sheep, and a great deal can be learned from all of us, if we read about once a week to remind ourselves of what our humanly duties are...

What is amazing is how the passage is presented....Both groups are standing before Christ... both groups recognize Jesus as LORD...so to me, Christ was speaking to 2 groups of BELIEVERS in him as Lord and Savior... this is arguable by some, but I believe this is to be the case.

the one group asked when DID I NOT feed you, clothed you, etc Lord...this group was the group in my opinion that shouted they were believers in Christ, yet did not follow the basic principles of Christ's teachings for humanity. They were completely caught off guard when they met their maker...

The other group, who did not even know that they were following Christ's teachings asked WHEN DID I FEED YOU Lord, and Jesus then proceded to tell them, when you helped a stranger you help me, when you fed or helped the needy you did such to me.....paraphrased of course...

You have to wonder, why this passage and Scripture was given to us by Christ, if it DID NOT MATTER?

It DOES matter, is what I think!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now getting back to the healthcare part...

How precisely will a Universal Healthcare system help the situation?

And what kind of universal system do you support, cutting out all insurance companies, the middle man, but hospitals/doctors paid by our taxes?

Or supporting individual private insurance plans, paid for by our taxes?

I would presume it is the first one?

Please go in to what you think needs to be done, so I can have the opportunity to "play" devil's advocate on this... for a bit. ;)

jd

darin
09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
You have to wonder, why this passage and Scripture was given to us by Christ, if it DID NOT MATTER?

It DOES matter, is what I think!

But the CRAZY thing is - Everything you stand for, politically, and likely personally, HURTS the poor, the hungry and the ill. The ideas you support cause them GREAT HARM. It's evilness, and you call it 'good'.

JohnDoe
09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Precisely, what is it that I stand for that is evil, dmp?

Gaffer
09-17-2007, 09:09 AM
And the Iroquois.

I'm Iroquois. I ain't disappeared yet.

Gunny
09-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm Iroquois. I ain't disappeared yet.

Sure you have .... it's just nobody's informed you yet.:poke:

darin
09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Precisely, what is it that I stand for that is evil, dmp?

You tell me. Are you pro-choice? Evil. Are you for re-distribution of wealth? Borderline evil. Are you for homosexuality treated as equal to 'normal'? Evil. Tell me what you support; I'll give it the once-over and let you know which things are contrary to Truth. :)

JohnDoe
09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
I am pro-life,

all taxes are a form of distribution of wealth, especially when they take from the middle class to give their money to the Military Industrial Complex making them richer, or taking our taxes and giving corporate welfare to the Enron's of the world or the exxon mobile'ss of the world... or to a bridge to nowhere in Alaska so....I do not support the redistribution of our wealth all of the time... :D

I believe that a "marriage" is between a man and a woman, but allow for civil unions for all....

jimnyc
09-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I believe that a "marriage" is between a man and a woman, but allow for civil unions for all....

That is placating for disgusting, vile and abnormal behavior.

darin
09-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I am pro-life,

all taxes are a form of distribution of wealth, especially when they take from the middle class to give their money to the Military Industrial Complex making them richer, or taking our taxes and giving corporate welfare to the Enron's of the world or the exxon mobile'ss of the world... or to a bridge to nowhere in Alaska so....I do not support the redistribution of our wealth all of the time... :D

Is homosexual conduct sinful?

JohnDoe
09-17-2007, 10:46 AM
That is placating for disgusting, vile and abnormal behavior.

no, my "civil unions for all'', means that if, when or if Matt dies, and I am left alone, I would move in with my sister, who is divorced and alone, and share all household things and financial things and personal healthcare things with her and get any tax benefits and care benefits that a civil union would bring....

I am not sanctioning or condoning what anyone does in their own bedroom, I am agreeing that two adults, like my sister and I, should be able to make the decision on who they want to be their "partner" in their union, which would give financial and healthcare security to both.

I could also "live with" the way things are now...and probably find another legal process to do near the same thing for my sister and I later in life....

Hugh Lincoln
09-18-2007, 07:58 PM

Sure, though the white race seems to unique in that it not only won't OPPOSE its own end, it actually SUBSIDIZES it.