PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Visitor

NightTrain
08-31-2020, 07:41 PM
Darin says hi, peeps!

I just flew in from Nome, going to load up the boat and take Darin up the river tomorrow.

By the way, he's buying his tickets for next year right now - last week of July/1st week of August.

jimnyc
08-31-2020, 08:05 PM
Wassup Darin!! Looking good bro! Hope you guys have a blast!! Share some pics with us.

Black Diamond
08-31-2020, 08:28 PM
https://youtu.be/9hw1SKn5eFM

SassyLady
08-31-2020, 09:20 PM
Wow! Long time no see, Darin. Glad you guys are having good time.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Great to see you guys are there and about to enjoy the beautiful Alaskan wilderness and its many majestic and inspiring views.
Great to know my friend Darin is doing well.. God bless...--Tyr

darin
09-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Rainy as heck, cold as F - but the people are world-class and i love them. :)

jimnyc
09-01-2020, 12:33 PM

Yup! By the end of the first night you're part of the family for the duration! Enjoy that time there, my friend, you have some wonderful things to see and will be constant shocked at the beauty at every turn. You have a couple of fantastic guides showing ya around, but even better, great friends. Absolutely wonderful people. And if you get to meet their friends, or Rick's brother Jim, or Lee or others - also wonderful people. Something about Alaska I guess.

Take some pics of the new addition to the cabin, would love to see the progress.

Oh, and when you are on the boat and going through the beautiful canyon area on the way to disappointment creek, jump in and go for a swim! Water slows down a little up there and you'll enjoy. :)

jimnyc
09-01-2020, 12:34 PM

How cold BTW?

NightTrain
09-01-2020, 02:52 PM
How cold BTW?

50 and raining hard... typical for this time of year.

Hoping it clears up, because we're pointing at clouds telling him about awesome mountain scenery.... lol

jimnyc
09-01-2020, 03:07 PM
50 and raining hard... typical for this time of year.

Hoping it clears up, because we're pointing at clouds telling him about awesome mountain scenery.... lol

I recall it raining when we launched the boat and went to the cabin the 1st time, and we had the canopy up. Then was perfect the rest of the week tho!

Abbey Marie
09-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Rick, could you please make that sun come out for my daughter? She’ll be there Thursday, and rain wouldn’t be cool. Thanks!
NightTrain

Kathianne
09-01-2020, 03:14 PM
Rick, could you please make that sun come out for my daughter? She’ll be there Thursday, and rain wouldn’t be cool. Thanks!
@NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89)
:laugh2: Rick is good, but God? :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
09-01-2020, 03:16 PM
:laugh2: Rick is good, but God? :laugh2:

In the words of a famous New York team, “Ya gotta believe!” ��

Black Diamond
09-01-2020, 03:21 PM
NightTrain

Is she going to ketchikan? Ketchikan makes Seattle look like the desert

Abbey Marie
09-01-2020, 05:04 PM
Is she going to ketchikan? Ketchikan makes Seattle look like the desert

Wasilla will be home base, then going who knows where. There will be lots of hiking and an airplane tour of a glacier.

Black Diamond
09-01-2020, 05:53 PM
Wasilla will be home base, then going who knows where. There will be lots of hiking and an airplane tour of a glacier.

Good. Sounds fun. I actually like ketchikan but you wouldn't be looking sunshine there. :)

NT'sGirl
09-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Mercury over the mountain
the moon from the beach in front at the cabin

NightTrain
09-02-2020, 07:29 PM
Seems that Darin is a natural.

I think he likes driving this 400 horse water pump!

jimnyc
09-02-2020, 07:47 PM
That must be his camera on the dash. Grab it and tell him a bear must have ate it and mail me that shit!

darin
09-02-2020, 11:16 PM
Rick? I love you.

jimnyc
09-03-2020, 11:18 AM
Hey Rick, WTF man, what's up with that sweet hat that Darin has? You get new ones? His has an American flag on the side too!

I have the red one with white lettering and I think people mistake it for a MAGA hat all the time. :laugh:

But I put many miles of advertising on there for a cabin no one will ever see. Did have some over time ask me WTF is L5? I tell them heaven and they aren't invited. :) Hat's been all over NYC and Westchester, all around NJ, a bunch of Connecticut & once to Pennsylvania! She's traveled well and still kicking strong!

NightTrain
09-03-2020, 12:29 PM
Hey Rick, WTF man, what's up with that sweet hat that Darin has? You get new ones? His has an American flag on the side too!

I have the red one with white lettering and I think people mistake it for a MAGA hat all the time. :laugh:

But I put many miles of advertising on there for a cabin no one will ever see. Did have some over time ask me WTF is L5? I tell them heaven and they aren't invited. :) Hat's been all over NYC and Westchester, all around NJ, a bunch of Connecticut & once to Pennsylvania! She's traveled well and still kicking strong!

Funny thing about that hat he's wearing in those pictures... the noob stood up as we were hauling ass upriver and it flew off his head and the river ate it.

That was the last camo L5 hat, too.

Kathianne
09-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Funny thing about that hat he's wearing in those pictures... the noob stood up as we were hauling ass upriver and it flew off his head and the river ate it.

Coffee out the nose! I can totally picture this!

jimnyc
09-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Don't forget this noob lost his a few times, but Sharon caught it both times!! Wore it backwards the rest of the trip. :)

You guys didn't swing back and grab it, or did it get sucked under somewhere?

Tell him that his camera fell overboard as well, and ship that thing like I told ya!! Damn one I want looks decent and is like $800 for the package with everything. Darin's looks just a little nicer, and a sweet lens on there too! Can't wait to see what nature shots he gets or if lucky enough to see a couple of eagles and maybe be able to zoom in?

How ya guys faring? Gonna go for salmon? Got any other visitors, Sharon I assume? What about Mr. Joe, he still with you?

Hope you guys are having a blast! I warned Darin about the glacier worms too!! :)

NightTrain
09-04-2020, 10:39 AM
Funny you should ask about salmon... here's Darin's first Silver salmon, caught yesterday up at Disappointment:

And followed shortly with his first Dolly Varden :

jimnyc
09-04-2020, 11:05 AM
Nice catches!!

And I'm sure you had fun telling him how I lost mine like a dummy and then tried to kick it on land. :laugh: :coffee:

Both caught our first salmon at Disappointment! Not very disappointing at all, unless you're looking for gold in dem there hills anyway.

Did you hit the little place ya took me yet, think you called that one O'Briens creek? And I'm guessing he didn't take my advice and go for a swim while going through the canyon? :)

Damn I wish I was there.

Abbey Marie
09-04-2020, 12:34 PM

Should have given him the one with the chin strap.

:coffee:

NightTrain
09-04-2020, 08:23 PM
This man takes his photography quite seriously.. almost needed to take the pickup instead of the Jeep to fit his telephoto lenses inside.

Can't argue with the quality... I may have to invest in a high dollar camera setup.

Here he is doing his thing in Hatcher's Pass a couple hours ago next to Willow Creek by an old Beaver pond.

And one he took of Sharon's Jeep down the road a bit further:

SassyLady
09-05-2020, 12:45 AM
I thought the one of Sharon's car was a professional ad for Jeep.

Maybe should blur license plate #

darin
09-06-2020, 05:35 AM
Few more pics.

jimnyc
09-06-2020, 08:00 AM
I hate you Darin.

Not only do you know the best angles and ways to take photos, shadowing, black and white, whatever it is always looks awesome! I gotta get me a better camera. And a little more know how. :)

Sweet shots!

Abbey Marie
09-06-2020, 01:24 PM
As usual, Darin’s photos are gorgeous. :beer:

How far away was that bear (Grizzly?!)? My daughter was just in Hatcher’s Pass, and I keep telling her there are probably bears around.

I wonder if you guys have crossed paths anywhere?
Right now she’s “camping” in Wrangell-St Elias Nat’l Park.

jimnyc
09-06-2020, 02:54 PM
I wonder, if that bear is the one that tried to eat me from the conservatory? Either way, awesome shot. If it were from the conservatory though, where are other photos of animals? And if in wild, that had better be a VERY powerful telephoto lens! :laugh:

darin
09-06-2020, 06:41 PM
As usual, Darin’s photos are gorgeous. :beer:

How far away was that bear (Grizzly?!)? My daughter was just in Hatcher’s Pass, and I keep telling her there are probably bears around.

I wonder if you guys have crossed paths anywhere?
Right now she’s “camping” in Wrangell-St Elias Nat’l Park.

The bear was at a Conservation :) i was about 15 feet up and maybe 50 feet away. :)

Thank you.

More pics attached.

darin
09-06-2020, 06:43 PM
few more

NT'sGirl
09-06-2020, 07:09 PM
I wonder, if that bear is the one that tried to eat me from the conservatory? Either way, awesome shot. If it were from the conservatory though, where are other photos of animals? And if in wild, that had better be a VERY powerful telephoto lens! :laugh:

That is Hope she is not the one that tried to eat you. You bonded wit JB. The bigger one

jimnyc
09-06-2020, 07:55 PM
I see my little buddy and bed mate Milo!!

And looks like Riley got bigger in past 2 years, and much more muscular too!

All again great photos!! Them bears, what a sight. And with Darin's camera, and his know how, they look like they are right there. When I was little we went to a Giants/Steelers game at Giants stadium. Sat about halfway up. Dad was really into it too and had his own darkroom and everything. He had 3-4 massive telephotos. He too me a photo of Mean Joe Greene and Lambert on the sideline and looks like we're in the front row they look so close and clear! Meanwhile, my cam would take a pic from halfway up, and it would look like we were sitting all the way up top! :laugh:

Mr. P
09-06-2020, 11:54 PM
Nice PIX Darin ! Good to see you're still kicken. :salute:

darin
09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Exit glacier

jimnyc
09-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Exit glacier

Did you see any of the mountains while you were there? How many did you get to see in the distance while upon your travels, like maybe 2 or 3? :coffee:

And damn, did ya see any of them that weren't just awesome looking?

How many shots did you get in total on your camera? I figured I would get a shot of anything cool, anything to be remembered. And found myself with my phone out almost at all times click clicking away! :)

Have you left?

darin
09-07-2020, 02:03 PM
Did you see any of the mountains while you were there? How many did you get to see in the distance while upon your travels, like maybe 2 or 3? :coffee:

And damn, did ya see any of them that weren't just awesome looking?

How many shots did you get in total on your camera? I figured I would get a shot of anything cool, anything to be remembered. And found myself with my phone out almost at all times click clicking away! :)

Have you left?

we saw them on the low/no rain days, of which we had few. around wasilla they were plentiful. And they were beautiful - reminded me of the alps. :)

I think i took several hundred, if I recall. Few hundred. The rain and activity kinda limited things - my gear is weather resistant but I didn't wanna push it. i'm home in Oklahoma now - got in yesterday.

jimnyc
09-07-2020, 03:34 PM
we saw them on the low/no rain days, of which we had few. around wasilla they were plentiful. And they were beautiful - reminded me of the alps. :)

I think i took several hundred, if I recall. Few hundred. The rain and activity kinda limited things - my gear is weather resistant but I didn't wanna push it. i'm home in Oklahoma now - got in yesterday.

You still saw a lot then! They are at every turn as you saw, even if some having their heads lopped off. Maybe it'll be better for ya the next time you go.

Only a few hundred, but we know you choose wisely and get the best angles and ideas, so that's a ton.

Glad you made it back safely.

darin
09-07-2020, 04:45 PM
You still saw a lot then! They are at every turn as you saw, even if some having their heads lopped off. Maybe it'll be better for ya the next time you go.

Only a few hundred, but we know you choose wisely and get the best angles and ideas, so that's a ton.

Glad you made it back safely.

Thank you! I'm shopping tix to head back first week of march in addition to end of july.

Oklahoma has some beauty too - i'm discovering - here are a few from my three-weeks living here. 1289912900129011290212903

darin
09-07-2020, 04:46 PM
more129041290512906

jimnyc
09-07-2020, 04:56 PM
That your son in the photo overlooking the water? You live there now?

darin
09-07-2020, 05:30 PM
That your son in the photo overlooking the water? You live there now?

That's a woman I dated for a few overnights. :) Do I live here? In OK? yeah man. I work at Fort Sill.

My son started school in Michigan last month.

Abbey Marie
09-07-2020, 08:23 PM
Would you consider living in AK?

darin
09-07-2020, 11:48 PM
Would you consider living in AK?

wouldnt hesitate if I found work there.

darin
04-12-2021, 02:19 PM
What a wonderful experience

NightTrain
04-12-2021, 11:00 PM