PDA

View Full Version : While Lightfoot May Have Discovered Something; Portland Mayor Still In The Dark

Kathianne
09-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Good pair of posts regarding possible ways to react to the violence in cities on Hotair:

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/2020/09/01/gov-brown-asked-help-policing-portland-suburban-sheriffs-said-no-thanks/

Gov. Brown Asked For Help Policing Portland, Suburban Sheriffs Said No Thanks
JOHN SEXTONPosted at 1:21 pm on September 1, 2020

Another riot was declared last night in Portland. Meanwhile, local sheriff’s have rejected a call for Oregon Gov. Kate Brown seeking reinforcements to assist police in Portland. Not surprisingly, no one wants the job under current conditions. We’ll get to that in a moment but first here’s what happened last night.

The rioters returned to a high-rise condo where Mayor Ted Wheeler owns property and set off fireworks next to the building. I’m sure Mayor Wheeler’s neighbors are thrilled.

Sunday, Gov. Kate Brown put out what she calls the “Unified Law Enforcement Plan (https://www.koin.com/news/protests/governor-brown-releases-unified-law-enforcement-plan/)” in response to the shooting Saturday. A key part of that plan was to ask suburban police forces to send additional officers to Portland to help deal with the riots and give exhausted Portland officers a break. So far three sheriffs have refused (https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2020/08/31/suburban-sheriffs-refuse-governors-request-to-aid-in-policing-portland-protests/):

The sheriffs of Clackamas and Washington counties rejected a key component of Brown’s plan: They refused to send officers into Portland, saying they would not police protests in a county that won’t prosecute people who break the law.

Shortly after the two sheriffs refused Brown’s request, the Gresham police chief did the same, and the associations representing the state’s sheriffs and police chiefs also preemptively rejected the idea of policing Portland…

“Had Gov. Brown discussed her plan with my office, I would have told her it’s about changing policy, not adding resources,” Roberts said in a statement. “Increasing law enforcement resources in Portland will not solve the nightly violence and, now, murder. The only way to make Portland safe again is to support a policy that holds offenders accountable for their destruction and violence.”

In addition, the Oregon Association of Sheriffs and Chiefs of Police issued a joint statement about the request (https://flashalert.net/id/CCSO/137434) which was pretty blunt:

These are incredibly challenging times in Oregon and throughout our Country. Law Enforcement has clearly heard and recognizes the need to make improvements to ensure it is meeting the needs of all communities it serves. With that said, abandoning Law Enforcement or the need for policing, is not working. It has only shown that it undermines the rule of law and puts our community at greater risk.

Over the weekend, members of our associations were approached to assist with policing in the City of Portland. Unfortunately, due to the lack of support for public safety operations, the associated liability to agencies who would be assisting in Portland and the lack of accountability for those arrested committing criminal acts, we cannot dedicate our limited resources away from the communities we serve.

In short, no one wants to volunteer for abuse and potential injury when it’s clear the support for police from elected officials is minimal at best. The real question is why anyone would want this job. That lack of community support must be very clear to Mayor Ted Wheeler. Saturday progressive leaders in the city demanded his resignation (https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/08/progressive-community-leaders-call-for-portland-mayor-to-resign-following-deadly-shooting.html):

jimnyc
09-01-2020, 03:21 PM
Stupidity backfires. :rolleyes:

Allowing for things to brew and escalate, then allow for continued violence. Don't prosecute folks arrested. Tie their hands and place them in danger. And then being more concerned with arguing with Trump. If I were a part of the shenanigans out there, I know it would embolden me.

And then going to his home as Kath posted above. And now folks calling for his resignation.

And who was he trying to protect? To support? To help? To apparently make happy with his decisions? Antifa, rioters, looters & otherwise destructive people. And the citizens of the area caught in the mix? Fu** them I suppose, right?

Karma always comes back though.

Any of the scumbags busted, or busted on camera having anything to do with the fires should be arrested and charged with arson, or even better, attempted murder knowing they were lighting a structure on fire with people inside.

---

Portland Rioters Set Fire to Minority-Owned Business in Mayor Ted Wheeler’s Condo Building

Portland rioters late Monday evening set fire to a minority-owned dental office in Mayor Ted Wheeler’s condo building, which allegedly has children living inside, according to videos posted on social media.

Rioters broke into the Pearl District Dental office building on the ground floor and started a fire inside, according to a video posted by the New York Times‘ Mike Baker.

A voice could be heard yelling, “There’s f**king kids in the building! What the f**k?!”

https://i.imgur.com/VHddTul.png

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/09/01/portland-rioters-set-fire-minority-owned-business-mayor-ted-wheelers-condo-building/

Kathianne
09-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Stupidity backfires. :rolleyes:

Allowing for things to brew and escalate, then allow for continued violence. Don't prosecute folks arrested. Tie their hands and place them in danger. And then being more concerned with arguing with Trump. If I were a part of the shenanigans out there, I know it would embolden me.

And then going to his home as Kath posted above. And now folks calling for his resignation.

And who was he trying to protect? To support? To help? To apparently make happy with his decisions? Antifa, rioters, looters & otherwise destructive people. And the citizens of the area caught in the mix? Fu** them I suppose, right?

Karma always comes back though.

Any of the scumbags busted, or busted on camera having anything to do with the fires should be arrested and charged with arson, or even better, attempted murder knowing they were lighting a structure on fire with people inside.

---

Portland Rioters Set Fire to Minority-Owned Business in Mayor Ted Wheeler’s Condo Building

Portland rioters late Monday evening set fire to a minority-owned dental office in Mayor Ted Wheeler’s condo building, which allegedly has children living inside, according to videos posted on social media.

Rioters broke into the Pearl District Dental office building on the ground floor and started a fire inside, according to a video posted by the New York Times‘ Mike Baker.

A voice could be heard yelling, “There’s f**king kids in the building! What the f**k?!”

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/09/01/portland-rioters-set-fire-minority-owned-business-mayor-ted-wheelers-condo-building/

He should be realizing that the answer is not what he thought. Defunding isn't working, even before it's really started.

Gunny
09-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Good pair of posts regarding possible ways to react to the violence in cities on Hotair:

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2/2020/09/01/gov-brown-asked-help-policing-portland-suburban-sheriffs-said-no-thanks/Who was that idiot Dem Governor of LA during Katrina that waited until it was too late to request Federal support, then blamed GWB for being late?

I think Brown is worse. She'll let that city burn to the ground before requesting Federal assistance. IMO. Beyond ridiculous on more than one count.

I DO agree with the sheriffs' decisions for the very same reason I was against Clinton's saber-rattling when I was on active duty: don't disarm me then tell me to fix sh*t.

I also believe it is the President's responsibility to step in (way before now). Accuse the dumbass Dems for playing politics with lives and property, and rightly so; but, playing politics with peoples' lives and property to presumably win an election is just doing the same damned thing as the idiots, IMO.

Kathianne
09-01-2020, 03:47 PM
Who was that idiot Dem Governor of LA during Katrina that waited until it was too late to request Federal support, then blamed GWB for being late?

I think Brown is worse. She'll let that city burn to the ground before requesting Federal assistance. IMO. Beyond ridiculous on more than one count.

I DO agree with the sheriffs' decisions for the very same reason I was against Clinton's saber-rattling when I was on active duty: don't disarm me then tell me to fix sh*t.

I also believe it is the President's responsibility to step in (way before now). Accuse the dumbass Dems for playing politics with lives and property, and rightly so; but, playing politics with peoples' lives and property to presumably win an election is just doing the same damned thing as the idiots, IMO.

Totally agree with the bolded. The fed doesn't have the right to go into a state and do what you want-except if federal interests are threatened. If the case was built that the rights of the citizens to exercise their rights were being curtailed by the rioters and the state wasn't doing their job-then the feds could intercede I believe under civil rights violations. It shouldn't be hard to build that case-rather than punching at the clowns in local and state offices.

Gunny
09-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Totally agree with the bolded. The fed doesn't have the right to go into a state and do what you want-except if federal interests are threatened. If the case was built that the rights of the citizens to exercise their rights were being curtailed by the rioters and the state wasn't doing their job-then the feds could intercede I believe under civil rights violations. It shouldn't be hard to build that case-rather than punching at the clowns in local and state offices.I don't agree on what the Feds can do. They have used military force countless times when it suits them.

I do understand the two lines of thinking on the subject and have always been an advocate of State's Rights. The US Civil War decided who the final authority is. IF a State cannot handle it's own, beginning with the protection of the Rights of ALL its citizens, it is up to the Federal government to solve that issue for them.

Prior to the Tariff Act of 1833, when Jackson was ready to march the US military into SC when a last minute compromise saved that from happening, the United States was plural. It has been singular since, with the US Civil War crossing the t's and dotting the i's.

Kathianne
09-01-2020, 04:08 PM
I don't agree on what the Feds can do. They have used military force countless times when it suits them.

I do understand the two lines of thinking on the subject and have always been an advocate of State's Rights. The US Civil War decided who the final authority is. IF a State cannot handle it's own, beginning with the protection of the Rights of ALL its citizens, it is up to the Federal government to solve that issue for them.

Prior to the Tariff Act of 1833, when Jackson was ready to march the US military into SC when a last minute compromise saved that from happening, the United States was plural. It has been singular since, with the US Civil War crossing the t's and dotting the i's.
I'm not being argumentative, I really don't know if the feds have ever-even since civil war-come into a state without a firm case of civil rights problems or by state request. Can you give some examples?