PDA

View Full Version : Is Bush what he says he is?

-Cp
09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Conservative activists in Texas say Gov. George W. Bush -- the front-running candidate for the Republican presidential nomination -- is masquerading as a leader for a smaller, more limited role for government in Americans' lives.

According to Texas Eagle Forum, Bush's state legislative priorities show him to be anything but a political conservative.

For example, Bush helped to expand federally subsidized school health programs and promoted "native language" use for special education students -- two decisions Eagle Forum considers anathema.

According to TEF's scorecard, the Texas governor signed HB 1275 into law, which requires that education plans for special education students be translated into the parents' native language. TEF, like many conservatives, believes in an "English-only" official policy both for schools and all government functions. Bush -- who has been known to cater to Hispanics during his initial campaigning -- has also not spoken out against a small Texas border town's decision last month to adopt a "Spanish-only" policy for official government functions, and instructed city officials not to talk to the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

"He supports bilingual education, federalizing education while calling it 'local control,' and school-based health clinics," said Cathie Adams, spokesperson for the TEF. "In my book, a politician who supports these things is neither conservative nor moderate but a liberal."

Adams also said Bush supports "Hillary Clinton-style health care reform," noting that the GOP frontrunner also signed legislation expanding school health care initiatives.

"That's what SB 445 was all about," she told WorldNetDaily. Under the auspices of the Children's Health Insurance Program, the law authorizes the use of Texas' tobacco settlement money to enhance the federal program.

TEF also noted that Bush's agenda included hate crimes legislation that excluded sexual orientation, United Nations-backed trade measures, the homosexual agenda over traditional family roles, state-sponsored gambling via a lottery and global treaties that circumvent the U.S. Constitution -- such as support for the Kyoto Treaty and the International Criminal Court.

A spokesman for Bush's presidential campaign told WorldNetDaily that the governor, should he become president, will "implement the core conservative principles of smaller government."

He said growth to state government during Bush's 10-year administration, "when adjusted for inflation and population growth, was just 3.7 percent." He said Bush "has a record of cutting taxes and slowing the rate of growth" in state government.

"As you know, he also signed the two largest tax cuts in Texas history, totaling $3 billion," the spokesman said.

Regarding whether or not a President Bush would cut federal government and bureaucracies, the spokesman said, "He's guided by ... principles of limited government, cutting taxes, strengthening families, promoting individual responsibility and individual control."

He added that Bush intends to lay out tax and economic policies "within the next few months."

However, TEF argues that the Bush state administration has enlarged government by "nearly 38 percent," with increased entitlements mostly to public schools. And, the watchdog group added, the governor has a penchant for incorporating existing federal funds into state programs, which, they say, is anathema to decreasing the size and expense of the federal government.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=15202

JohnDoe
09-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Sounds like they had him pegged back in 1999? But no one paid attention?

It is possible that the republicans felt that Republican Congress would curb him?

bullypulpit
09-16-2007, 04:21 PM
D'OH!...Told ya so!

Gunny
09-17-2007, 08:12 AM
D'OH!...Told ya so!

Don't even try it. I've argued for years that Bush was not a conservative extremist while you, and other liberals have labelled him exactly that.

So what is the problem, exactly? he's a moderate, but you lefties STILL can't manage to get along. You're doing the same with Guiliani. The dude's a lib, period. Yet because he's running as a Republican, y'all villify him.

Just more proof this isn't about political idealism at all to the foaming at the mouth group ... it's just choosing a side and being against the other regardless idealism or what's actualyl best for the Nation.

truthmatters
09-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Dilloduck
09-17-2007, 09:37 AM
This man will go down in history as the worst president the nation has ever had. There is plenty of reason to speak out against Bush. I dont care what label you put on him. I have been saying for years that anyone who is conservative and backs this guys has no idea what conservative means.

I think everyone is pretty familiar with your opinion by now. Wanna discuss stuff that goes a little deeper than " I hate Bush" ?

Gunny
09-17-2007, 09:52 AM
This man will go down in history as the worst president the nation has ever had. There is plenty of reason to speak out against Bush. I dont care what label you put on him. I have been saying for years that anyone who is conservative and backs this guys has no idea what conservative means.

Obviously you have little to no education inhistory then. I could screw up every day from now and not even come close to being the worst President.

Your vision and education on the matter appears to be restricted to only 2000-present.

But it surprises me not that you once again have no freakin' clue what you're talking about.

Hagbard Celine
09-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Like I've been saying. Karl Rove knew what he was doing. He said he "could" make Dubya president and he did. The way he did it was by unifying and energizing perhaps the largest and most vocal sector of the electorate that there is: Evangelicals. Christian conservatives will overlook anything as long as they think their candidate professes the right "moral stance."
He may be a great guy to chum around with at the family barbecue, but he was never qualified nor equipped to be a proper President of the United States.

JackDaniels
09-17-2007, 10:54 AM

This statement is historically short sided. Saying that GWB is the worst President we've ever had really shows you don't know shit about history.

I dislike his policies as much as the next guy...however, (1) at worst, he will fall in the historical ranking somewhere in the middle, but you never know at present time what historians will say 50 years from now and (2) you need to tone down the personal hatred. Hate the policies, not the man. You liberal communist statists need to learn that.

GW in Ohio
09-17-2007, 11:27 AM

Word.

If Bush had been the second coming of Ronald Reagan instead of an incompetent moron, I would have been in his corner. In fact, if Bush had turned out to be another Ronald Reagan, I'd still be a Republican.

Bush was on track to be a solidly mediocre president until Uncle Dick Cheney told him he had to invade Iraq.

Bush: "But Uncle Dick, do you have an exit strategy?"

Cheney: "Don't worry about it, Georgie. The Iraqis will embrace us with open arms and then we'll use their oil revenues to finance the war."

(Actually, Bush wasn't smart enough to ask about an exit strategy. I added that for narrative effect.)

jimnyc
09-17-2007, 11:29 AM
(Actually, Bush wasn't smart enough to ask about an exit strategy. I added that for narrative efect.)

When one decides to poke fun at another's intelligence, it might be best to at least spell properly when doing so. :)

GW in Ohio
09-17-2007, 11:33 AM
When one decides to poke fun at another's intelligence, it might be best to at least spell properly when doing so. :)

Geez, Jimmy, you're pretty quick to jump on a poor liberal, ain't'cha?

I caught that and corrected it while you were preparing your slings and arrows.

jimnyc
09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Geez, Jimmy, you're pretty quick to jump on a poor liberal, ain't'cha?

I caught that and corrected it while you were preparing your slings and arrows.

Yeah, gotta catch 'em before the edits or the fun goes away! :laugh2:

Gunny
09-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Word.

If Bush had been the second coming of Ronald Reagan instead of an incompetent moron, I would have been in his corner. In fact, if Bush had turned out to be another Ronald Reagan, I'd still be a Republican.

Bush was on track to be a solidly mediocre president until Uncle Dick Cheney told him he had to invade Iraq.

Bush: "But Uncle Dick, do you have an exit strategy?"

Cheney: "Don't worry about it, Georgie. The Iraqis will embrace us with open arms and then we'll use their oil revenues to finance the war."

(Actually, Bush wasn't smart enough to ask about an exit strategy. I added that for narrative effect.)

I can see why you would agree with TM. Your post has about as much factual substance as hers.

GW in Ohio
09-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I can see why you would agree with TM. Your post has about as much factual substance as hers.

Here's facts, Gunny:

The Iraq invasion was undertaken without any clear understanding of what the effects of toppling Saddam Hussein would be.
The Iraq invasion was undertaken for all the wrong reasons.
The Iraqi people are worse off now in terms of quality of life than they were under Saddam. In fact, many of them don't enjoy any quality of life at all, because they're dead.
We have stretched our military too thin, lost 3,800 of our best people, and spent $1 trillion dollars on Bush's Iraq boondoggle and have nothing to show for it, but Bush's continued promise that if we just stay the course, there'll be a good outcome.

These are opinions:

Bush is a fucking idiot.
Bush is the worst president in the history of the republic.
Cheney is both arrogant and incompetent....a bad combination in a public servant.

Gunny
09-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Here's facts, Gunny:

The Iraq invasion was undertaken without any clear understanding of what the effects of toppling Saddam Hussein would be.
The Iraqi people are worse off now in terms of quality of life than they were under Saddam. In fact, many of them don't enjoy any quality of life at all, because they're dead.
We have stretched our military too thin, lost 3,800 of our best people, and spent $1 trillion dollars on Bush's Iraq boondoggle and have nothing to show for it, but Bush's continued promise that if we just stay the course, there'll be a good outcome.

These are opinions:

Bush is a fucking idiot.
Cheney is both arrogant and incompetent....a bad combination in a public servant.

Looks like the whole post is nothing but opinion to me.

-Cp
09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Here's facts, Gunny:

These are opinions:

Bush is a fucking idiot.

Wow! - Right out of the liberal talking points! And with no data whatsoever to back any of it up! You rock man..

GW in Ohio
09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Wow! - Right out of the liberal talking points! And with no data whatsoever to back any of it up! You rock man..

You guys can sit around and demand "data."

The rest of the country thinks Bush is an embarrassment and a moron. And the rest of the world thinks he is laughably incompetent. Furthermore, many people in other countries think he is the biggest danger to world peace.

Think about it....

Bush took a situation after 9/11 where the entire world, with the exception of pockets of Islamofascism, was in our corner. And through mismanagement, stupidity, arrogance and inflexibility he's made us the most hated nation on earth.

That's quite an accomplishment.

GW in Ohio
09-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Bush also took a situation in 2000 where the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress.

Now they've lost both houses of Congress and they will surely lose the White House next year.

You think that might have something to do with Bush's incompetence?

Gunny
09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Bush also took a situation in 2000 where the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress.

Now they've lost both houses of Congress and they will surely lose the White House next year.

You think that might have something to do with Bush's incompetence?

Since historically, a two-term President with a party majority in Congress loses that majority during second term ... ummm... no?

And you just keep on dreaming the GOP will lose the White House. Best thing on their side are YOUR candidates. Only a blithering idiot would vote for either.

TheStripey1
09-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Since historically, a two-term President with a party majority in Congress loses that majority during second term ... ummm... no?

And you just keep on dreaming the GOP will lose the White House. Best thing on their side are YOUR candidates. Only a blithering idiot would vote for either.

pssssssssst... gunny? your candidates are no better... but at least the democrats will be bring a change of course to the war.

maybe...

Gunny
09-17-2007, 04:38 PM
pssssssssst... gunny? your candidates are no better... but at least the democrats will be bring a change of course to the war.

maybe...

Thompson for one, smokes both Hillary and Osama.

What one has to ask is whether or not this "change of course to the war" is for the better or worse.

Which war would that be, btw? Bosnia, or Iraq?