PDA

View Full Version : never met a liberal that actually walked the walk...

manu1959
09-16-2007, 07:50 PM
"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment." -Bertrand Russell

never met an open minded liberal.....they claim they are.....but they are as stubborn and spiteful as they come

shattered
09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
"The essence of the Liberal outlook lies not in what opinions are held, but in how they are held: instead of being held dogmatically, they are held tentatively, and with a consciousness that new evidence may at any moment lead to their abandonment." -Bertrand Russell

never met an open minded liberal.....they claim they are.....but they are as stubborn and spiteful as they come

Manu, dear.. That is not stubbornness, and spite. That is morals, and integrity. :)

manu1959
09-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Manu, dear.. That is not stubbornness, and spite. That is morals, and integrity. :)

i am sure she will be along shortyl in an attempt to try and guilt trip us into agreeing with you.....

Abbey Marie
09-16-2007, 07:57 PM
You're both wrong. It's been at least half an hour since we had a new left wing nut conspiracy theory, so it's time for one.

shattered
09-16-2007, 07:57 PM
i am sure she will be along shortyl in an attempt to try and guilt trip us into agreeing with you.....

Or, at least scare you into leaving, so I can have a site wherein everyone agrees with me. :D

truthmatters
09-16-2007, 08:03 PM

shattered
09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
On what subject have any of you changed your mind on in the last year?

Gee..That would be where my suggestion of actually getting to know someone on here comes into play, wouldn't it?

Abbey Marie
09-16-2007, 08:10 PM

Have you answered Shattered'a question yet from the other thread?

truthmatters
09-16-2007, 08:11 PM

shattered
09-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Thus the question?

How can I get to know you if you dont answer questions?

Yes Abbey I did.

Oh, HELL no.. I didn't say ME. I said any two people. My guess is you couldn't handle me, OR my views without your head exploding.

As for your "answer" that you "lived" and have "seen unfairness".. Bullshit. We've ALL lived.. That doesn't given us any right to question everyone elses morality and integrity.

Care to try again? This time with a legitimate answer?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

truthmatters
09-16-2007, 08:15 PM

Abbey Marie
09-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Thus the question?

How can I get to know you if you dont answer questions?

Yes Abbey I did.

You have "lived and seen unfairness" is your answer? Even if you were in your sixties that wouldn't come close to answering the question, but aren't you only around 19 years old? You can't be serious.

shattered
09-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I gave you my answer.

Why do you think you are superior to me?

Simple. Because I wouldn't dare question peoples morals and integrity as a whole.. Merely, I question them on an individual basis based on the behavior they display (and their political views don't fall as part of that behavior).

I don't often think I'm "better" than anyone else.. However, in this case, the actions you display make me believe I have a better set of ethics, and morals than you.

Said1
09-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Not many, but i've been busy. The time for reflection will come later.

I will say one thing, I've changed my mind about the Catholic Church in the last two weeks. And not for the better either.

How about you, what profound changes have you implemented in your life over the last year?

Remember, this isn't a pissing contest, it's a discussion about how values and belief systems changed over the last 365 days and how we LIVE them.

truthmatters
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM

Psychoblues
09-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Is this the new dive for the lying conservative shitheads to congregate?

If so, count me in!!!!!!! I'll do my part!!!!!!! It is the "essense of liberalism" that I care most about!!!!!!!!!!!

manu1959
09-16-2007, 10:13 PM

neg repping......i am all for it now....ever since i met you.....

manu1959
09-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Is this the new dive for the lying conservative shitheads to congregate?

If so, count me in!!!!!!! I'll do my part!!!!!!! It is the "essense of liberalism" that I care most about!!!!!!!!!!!

no......move along....

shattered
09-16-2007, 10:16 PM

Abortion.

manu1959
09-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Abortion.

mine was social programs.....

emmett
09-16-2007, 10:46 PM
mine was social programs.....

How did you change on social programs?

manu1959
09-16-2007, 10:52 PM
How did you change on social programs?

i am against them....all of them....no hand outs for anyone...ever.....

survive or die....

diuretic
09-16-2007, 10:56 PM

I wonder when Russell wrote that? In the late 1940s and early 1950s in British politics the Left of the Labour Party and the left wing parties in general were in total denial about the Soviet Union and in particular Stalin's behaviour. When Orwell exposed the truth about Stalin's Soviet Union in Animal Farm and in Nineteen Eighty-Four, the British left turned on him, ferociously denouncing him.

Is that the sort of thing you mean Manu?

manu1959
09-16-2007, 11:00 PM
I wonder when Russell wrote that? In the late 1940s and early 1950s in British politics the Left of the Labour Party and the left wing parties in general were in total denial about the Soviet Union and in particular Stalin's behaviour. When Orwell exposed the truth about Stalin's Soviet Union in Animal Farm and in Nineteen Eighty-Four, the British left turned on him, ferociously denouncing him.

no .... it was in the context of a poster that has this quote as their signature.....she was being closed minded....then it dawned on me that all the liberals i know (i live near san francisco and berkeley so i know a lot) anyway, they are all dogmatic and closed minded.....

so i posted this..... i loved orwell's books....just finished huxley's biography....

Psychoblues
09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
It's always personal here, doc. Some get by with it and some get banned for it.

I thought you knew? But, maybe that really is what m'59 meant? Like you, I dunno.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 06:39 AM
I used to be for the death penalty, now I am not.

I used to be against the legalization of marijuana, now I am not.

I used to be supportive of George Bush's foreign policy, now I am not...

I could go on, but you get my point. :lol:

diuretic
09-17-2007, 08:33 PM
no .... it was in the context of a poster that has this quote as their signature.....she was being closed minded....then it dawned on me that all the liberals i know (i live near san francisco and berkeley so i know a lot) anyway, they are all dogmatic and closed minded.....

so i posted this..... i loved orwell's books....just finished huxley's biography....

I have all Orwell's collected works, his journalistic writings (paperback volumes, cheap but good). His prose is so clear that it never dates.

bullypulpit
09-17-2007, 08:55 PM

You don't get out much...Do you.

Dilloduck
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I used to be for the death penalty, now I am not.

I used to be against the legalization of marijuana, now I am not.

I used to be supportive of George Bush's foreign policy, now I am not...

I could go on, but you get my point. :lol:

In other words you have completely transformed yourself into a liberal ?

manu1959
09-17-2007, 11:53 PM
You don't get out much...Do you.

ya that must be it......

JohnDoe
09-18-2007, 07:27 AM
So what is it manu? Are liberals "flip floppers" like Kerry, or are ya sticking to your quote?

Monkeybone
09-18-2007, 08:24 AM

to me, the first thing that comes to mind is someone being wishywashy about ideas and what they say. they can 'tentatively' hold on to ideas and then change them at the drop of a hat...ie when a new popular belief comes along. gotta say what ppl wanna hear and get them there votes. yeehaw!

retiredman
09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
to me, the first thing that comes to mind is someone being wishywashy about ideas and what they say. they can 'tentatively' hold on to ideas and then change them at the drop of a hat...ie when a new popular belief comes along. gotta say what ppl wanna hear and get them there votes. yeehaw!

like changing your opinion about whether Saddam had stockpiles of WMD's after it had been proven that he didn't HAVE stockpiles of WMD's?

because the opposite of that sure sounds a lot like american conservatives!

Monkeybone
09-18-2007, 08:58 AM
it's both parties MFM. it's politicians in general.

retiredman
09-18-2007, 09:05 AM
yeah....you're right...I hear a lot of demcratic politicians claiming that Saddam still has those WMD's somewhere.... if ONLY we could find 'em!
[/sarcasm off]

Monkeybone
09-18-2007, 09:10 AM
they weren't complaining when they gave the go ahead for it all.

and we are talking about how they handle ideas...not WMD's MFM. start a new thread of something...or just let the horse lay there in peace

Hagbard Celine
09-18-2007, 09:12 AM

You're mistaken. You've met me.

retiredman
09-18-2007, 09:22 AM
they weren't complaining when they gave the go ahead for it all.

and we are talking about how they handle ideas...not WMD's MFM. start a new thread of something...or just let the horse lay there in peace

a majority of them did not give the go ahead for it....

and you do not think that examining the basis for war is handling an idea?

and I disagree with your implied assertion that when democrats change their minds, they do so solely based upon public opinion and votes.

Monkeybone
09-18-2007, 09:31 AM
a majority of them did not give the go ahead for it....

and you do not think that examining the basis for war is handling an idea?

and I disagree with your implied assertion that when democrats change their minds, they do so solely based upon public opinion and votes.

understood, but not all of them were against it either.

i never said that. to look at and examine something and saying there isn't an idea there is foolish.

well what else am i supposed to think? Dems do it, Repubs do it. that is why i said it is a politician thing. now i am not saying that every single one does. but the majority do.

i am not saying that once you make up your mind, you have to follow that and turn a blind eye to everything else. you would have to be a ReRe to ignore info coming at you. but there are ppl, not just poli's, that if the crowd is going with it, so do they, even if it hans't been 100% or there isn't another study from another view point. i was just respong to the starter post about the quote.

Guernicaa
09-18-2007, 03:56 PM
You're both wrong. It's been at least half an hour since we had a new left wing nut conspiracy theory, so it's time for one.
Pleeeeaassseeeee...

"The Clintons had people murdered!!!" group of wackos produces less substantial evidence than the wackos saying the Bush administration was behind 9/11.

Abbey Marie
09-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Pleeeeaassseeeee...

"The Clintons had people murdered!!!" group of wackos produces less substantial evidence than the wackos saying the Bush administration was behind 9/11.

I disagree with your opinion.

In general, I'd say that people who continually dwell on conspiracy theories have psychological issues.