PDA

View Full Version : Why not vote Libertarian?

emmett
09-16-2007, 07:52 PM
I was in another thread chit chatting. I got onto LP stuff as usually and made a joke about all the reasons GOP supporters would not vote LP. Now it is killing me to know exactly why we would not. So.......why will YOU not vote Libertarian? Lets hear from all the regulars (like I am one!)

Official Question!
Why would you not vote Libertarian?

82Marine89
09-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Official Question!
Why would you not vote Libertarian?

It depends on the candidate. If they are a party line open borders, let's melt our minds with drugs, Libertarian, then the answer is no.

manu1959
09-16-2007, 07:56 PM
who is the candidate.....

emmett
09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
It depends on the candidate. If they are a party line open borders, let's melt our minds with drugs, Libertarian, then the answer is no.

The LP has in the past five years changed their open borders policy. To not have would have closed minded. People in the world are trying to kill us. However I say this. Mr. Franklin ,made it pretty clear, to sacrifice liberty for a little temporary security leaves us not deserving of the liberty.

Drugs! Drugs are here! People are killed, maimed and addicted every day. Our view on Marijuana is stupid. We should be more worried about Alcohol.

The GOP claims to be the party that supports old fashioned values, liberty and rights. Their effort is infanted by the LP's belief. Total Freedom to choose how you live so long as it does not hamper another's. Personal Responsibility, not Government Responsibility. Free Enterprise. Competition. Flat Tax!!!!!!Did I mention Flat Tax?

JackDaniels
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM

You really don't know anything about Libertarians.

emmett
09-16-2007, 08:24 PM
who is the candidate.....

The LP will choose it's candidate during their convention in Denver, May 22 thru May26, 2008. Watching the Libertarians choose their candidate can be quite an educational experience in how our system should and is suppose to work.

If you would like to really learn something about how the election process should work watch the LP over the next 9 months. There will no namecalling, not much press of course and no scandals. The candidates will stick solely to the issues, there will no badmouthing and in the end the most qualified candidate (not biggest fundraiser) will be chosen to represent our party to run for President of the United States. It will be done in a fashion only the GOP and Dems could dream of because they are NOT capable of it.

Will Libertarians be allowed to debate with the majors? NO
Will they get equal press? NO
Will they get any press? HARDLY

There is a reason for this and it brings the two bigsters right togewther klike no other issue in history! There are scared to absolute death.....of the Libertarian Party. They both lobby the press, use their connections and pay to ensure that a LP candidate for President never recieves fair treatment by the press.

Take 2000 for example. Harry Browne. He had forgotten more about economy than GW or AG ever knew. Who was a better individual? HB by far.

People of this country DO NOT WANT liberty. They want Government. That is why they will not vote for the LP.

Dilloduck
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
The LP will choose it's candidate during their convention in Denver, May 22 thru May26, 2008. Watching the Libertarians choose their candidate can be quite an educational experience in how our system should and is suppose to work.

If you would like to really learn something about how the election process should work watch the LP over the next 9 months. There will no namecalling, not much press of course and no scandals. The candidates will stick solely to the issues, there will no badmouthing and in the end the most qualified candidate (not biggest fundraiser) will be chosen to represent our party to run for President of the United States. It will be done in a fashion only the GOP and Dems could dream of because they are NOT capable of it.

Will Libertarians be allowed to debate with the majors? NO
Will they get equal press? NO
Will they get any press? HARDLY

There is a reason for this and it brings the two bigsters right togewther klike no other issue in history! There are scared to absolute death.....of the Libertarian Party. They both lobby the press, use their connections and pay to ensure that a LP candidate for President never recieves fair treatment by the press.

Take 2000 for example. Harry Browne. He had forgotten more about economy than GW or AG ever knew. Who was a better individual? HB by far.

People of this country DO NOT WANT liberty. They want Government. That is why they will not vote for the LP.

I'll agree with that--I think people DO want a government that will do specific things and NOT do specific things. The LP overestimate the common sense and decency of Americans.

emmett
09-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I'll agree with that--I think people DO want a government that will do specific things and NOT do specific things. The LP overestimate the common sense and decency of Americans.

I think not Duck. As far as comon sense and decency, I believe we all understand what those expectations of one another are. Now if what you are talking about is can I depend on you to make your own way in the world without unfairly burdening me in your quest.......well, if you don't don't you are going to be hungry. Hunger is a great motivator. If you decide to break the basic laws that would be in force under a truely Libertarian Nation, like say, burglury. Well, then it's bang bang time and if every criminal in the country knew that every law abiding citizen in the country had a gun in their home and were prepared to use it, crime would go down. WAY DOWN.

I believe the LP takes things for exactly what they SHOULD be. It the ways of the GOP and DEMS that have whored up our rule of law, invasion of privacy and god given right to exist without so many rules and laws that one must be an attorney to know how to live.

There was a time in this country when if our children got into a fight we got together and discussed it, examined the problem and resolved it. Usually by making the boys shake hands and having a laugh or two. Today, you get sued if your kid hits somebody. You go up against a guy like John Edwards for not cleaning the filter in your pool. A kid down the street gets askin rash and wa-lah, the family business is gone so you can pay the 3 million dollar lawsuit.

Do we need to talk about taxes? I think probably not.

Dilloduck
09-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I think not Duck. As far as comon sense and decency, I believe we all understand what those expectations of one another are. Now if what you are talking about is can I depend on you to make your own way in the world without unfairly burdening me in your quest.......well, if you don't don't you are going to be hungry. Hunger is a great motivator. If you decide to break the basic laws that would be in force under a truely Libertarian Nation, like say, burglury. Well, then it's bang bang time and if every criminal in the country knew that every law abiding citizen in the country had a gun in their home and were prepared to use it, crime would go down. WAY DOWN.

I believe the LP takes things for exactly what they SHOULD be. It the ways of the GOP and DEMS that have whored up our rule of law, invasion of privacy and god given right to exist without so many rules and laws that one must be an attorney to know how to live.

There was a time in this country when if our children got into a fight we got together and discussed it, examined the problem and resolved it. Usually by making the boys shake hands and having a laugh or two. Today, you get sued if your kid hits somebody. You go up against a guy like John Edwards for not cleaning the filter in your pool. A kid down the street gets askin rash and wa-lah, the family business is gone so you can pay the 3 million dollar lawsuit.

Do we need to talk about taxes? I think probably not.

With our entire country going cold turkey after decades of the nanny state, "bang bang time" would be so huge that I really don't wanna see it.

emmett
09-16-2007, 10:29 PM
With our entire country going cold turkey after decades of the nanny state, "bang bang time" would be so huge that I really don't wanna see it.

Don't get me started on gun rights man. The only time a liberal ever wishes they had a gun is when they cover their head and about to be shot.

5stringJeff
09-19-2007, 06:59 PM
The LP has in the past five years changed their open borders policy. To not have would have closed minded. People in the world are trying to kill us. However I say this. Mr. Franklin ,made it pretty clear, to sacrifice liberty for a little temporary security leaves us not deserving of the liberty.

Drugs! Drugs are here! People are killed, maimed and addicted every day. Our view on Marijuana is stupid. We should be more worried about Alcohol.

The GOP claims to be the party that supports old fashioned values, liberty and rights. Their effort is infanted by the LP's belief. Total Freedom to choose how you live so long as it does not hamper another's. Personal Responsibility, not Government Responsibility. Free Enterprise. Competition. Flat Tax!!!!!!Did I mention Flat Tax?

I'm not opposed to voting for a Libertarian (though I'd vote for the Constitution Party candidate first). The LP is also has some extreme anti-war elements, which is troubling. Not that war is desirable, but a President has to have some cojones when the times call for it.

Speaking of the LP, though, how's the Free State Project going?

LiberalNation
09-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Cuz a Libertarian candidate wont win. Not voting would be about as effective.

JackDaniels
09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Cuz a Libertarian candidate wont win. Not voting would be about as effective.

This refrain is soooo tired it barely warrants a response. :fu:

LiberalNation
09-19-2007, 07:18 PM
So what you think a Libertarian can win or something.

JackDaniels
09-19-2007, 07:24 PM
So what you think a Libertarian can win or something.

LOL. What are you? A teenager? You sound like Jeff Spicoli.

The point is that...

(1) If you believe in liberty and do not vote Libertarian, you are a coward or selling out your beliefs

(2) Third parties have gained major party status throughout history. All it takes are good, smart people who want to advance a movement. The LP failed for a while, however, it is UNDENIABLE that we are on the way back up.

09-19-2007, 07:36 PM
I believe in freedom, not anarchy

JackDaniels
09-19-2007, 07:40 PM
I believe in freedom, not anarchy

Which falls directly in line with the Libertarian Party