PDA

View Full Version : Admiral Fallon, CENTCOM - moved

retiredman
09-17-2007, 08:24 AM
I wonder what the conservatives think about General Petraeus's boss, Admiral Fallon? Are HIS opinions to be taken as seriously as the general's?

Dilloduck
09-17-2007, 08:28 AM
I wonder what the conservatives think about General Petraeus's boss, Admiral Fallon? Are HIS opinions to be taken as seriously as the general's?

I love trick questions. What did he say?

darin
09-17-2007, 08:29 AM
No discussion points, no links, no data - just the name of one General and One Admiral. Seems like lounge fodder.

Dilloduck
09-17-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm guessing you'r referring to this--did I guess right?
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=39235

U.S.-IRAQ: Fallon Derided Petraeus, Opposed the Surge
By Gareth Porter*

WASHINGTON, Sep 12 (IPS) - In sharp contrast to the lionisation of Gen. David Petraeus by members of the U.S. Congress during his testimony this week, Petraeus's superior, Admiral William Fallon, chief of the Central Command (CENTCOM), derided Petraeus as a sycophant during their first meeting in Baghdad last March, according to Pentagon sources familiar with reports of the meeting.

Fallon told Petraeus that he considered him to be "an ass-kissing little chickenshit" and added, "I hate people like that", the sources say. That remark reportedly came after Petraeus began the meeting by making remarks that Fallon interpreted as trying to ingratiate himself with a superior.

JohnDoe
09-17-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm guessing you'r referring to this--did I guess right?
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=39235

U.S.-IRAQ: Fallon Derided Petraeus, Opposed the Surge
By Gareth Porter*

WASHINGTON, Sep 12 (IPS) - In sharp contrast to the lionisation of Gen. David Petraeus by members of the U.S. Congress during his testimony this week, Petraeus's superior, Admiral William Fallon, chief of the Central Command (CENTCOM), derided Petraeus as a sycophant during their first meeting in Baghdad last March, according to Pentagon sources familiar with reports of the meeting.

Fallon told Petraeus that he considered him to be "an ass-kissing little chickenshit" and added, "I hate people like that", the sources say. That remark reportedly came after Petraeus began the meeting by making remarks that Fallon interpreted as trying to ingratiate himself with a superior.

Yes, I had been hearing tidbits of this in the news, all week....that Fallon disagreed with Petraeus's analysis or assessment of the war.

I guess that is why Petraeus's BOSS is being moved?

but we listen to the Generals right?

Guess it DEPENDS on the General?

jd

retiredman
09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Bill Fallon is hot shit! :salute:

Dilloduck
09-17-2007, 09:01 AM
Yes, I had been hearing tidbits of this in the news, all week....that Fallon disagreed with Petraeus's analysis or assessment of the war.

jd

pick a flag officer -any flag officer---we're bound to find something to argue about.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 09:02 AM
No discussion points, no links, no data - just the name of one General and One Admiral. Seems like lounge fodder.

I didn't want to spoil the surprise. I am sure that the republicans here will start attacking and denigrating Admiral Fallon like they do to anyone - military or not - that disagrees with their cowardly pissant of a president.

Dilloduck
09-17-2007, 09:05 AM
I didn't want to spoil the surprise. I am sure that the republicans here will start attacking and denigrating Admiral Fallon like they do to anyone - military or not - that disagrees with their cowardly pissant of a president.

I already posted it for ya

retiredman
09-17-2007, 09:13 AM
I am aware of that...I was explaining why I did not put it in post #1

Dilloduck
09-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I am aware of that...I was explaining why I did not put it in post #1

you know by now that everyone supports what they want to hear

Sitarro
09-17-2007, 09:29 AM
What would a head boat driver know about a ground war? About as useful as asking a Navy pilot how to land an airplane without collapsing the gear.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

darin
09-17-2007, 09:51 AM
LMAO - Let's examine the SOURCE:

according to Pentagon sources familiar with reports of the meeting.

That means...'somebody' says they saw a report of a meeting they did not attend...

retiredman
09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
I would imagine that if Admiral Fallon had been misquoted, he would have corrected the record.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 09:55 AM
What would a head boat driver know about a ground war? About as useful as asking a Navy pilot how to land an airplane without collapsing the gear.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

he's an airdale, not a boat driver...

and interestingly enough, by the time you make flag rank, you get a lot of training in the big picture.

darin
09-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Now that this thread has military content, it's been moved...again.

JohnDoe
09-17-2007, 10:08 AM
pick a flag officer -any flag officer---we're bound to find something to argue about.yep, as long has one has served, they can argue about it, but I, as a woman who has not served, can't comment at all.... I've been given those "orders" by a few on this board...

:(:(:(

jd

jimnyc
09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
yep, as long has one has served, they can argue about it, but I, as a woman who has not served, can't comment at all.... I've been given those "orders" by a few on this board...

:(:(:(

jd

Chill with the sarcasm, woman! An opinion from one does not take away your right to post your views in this thread. It's up to the readers to determine who they might give more weight to when reading.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 10:24 AM
and I don't think that Admiral Fallon's opinion of General Petraeus as an asskissing little chickenshit has much to do with the ground war fighting expertise of either one of them....

but it does have a great deal to do with Admiral Fallon's opinion of General Petraeus' personality and career path methodology.

I have never met Petraeus, but if Admiral Fallon's take on him is accurate, it would make sense that he would be the guy that Dubya would pick for that job.

darin
09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
and I don't think that Admiral Fallon's opinion of General Petraeus as an asskissing little chickenshit h

"ALLEGED" opinion.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 10:53 AM
as I said earlier (do try to keep up), if Admiral Fallon had been misquoted, wouldn't you imagine that he would set the record straight?

Sitarro
09-17-2007, 11:11 AM
and I don't think that Admiral Fallon's opinion of General Petraeus as an asskissing little chickenshit has much to do with the ground war fighting expertise of either one of them....

but it does have a great deal to do with Admiral Fallon's opinion of General Petraeus' personality and career path methodology.

I have never met Petraeus, but if Admiral Fallon's take on him is accurate, it would make sense that he would be the guy that Dubya would pick for that job.

Fall on is jealous because General Petraeus wears a better looking uniform and isn't a member of an obsolete, overpriced division of the military.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 11:17 AM
I am quite sure that Admiral Fallon is well aware that General Petraeus is not in the United States Air Force.

Mr. P
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Bush also picked Fallon. Big mistake militarily, IMO.

darin
09-17-2007, 11:22 AM
as I said earlier (do try to keep up), if Admiral Fallon had been misquoted, wouldn't you imagine that he would set the record straight?

Have you spoken to the Admiral?

Do you REALLY not care at all that there is NO credible source for your info? Dude - I could call a guy who works in The Building, right this minute, and ask him to tell me HIS opinion of Admiral Fallon's opinion of General P. Would that really MEAN anything?

retiredman
09-17-2007, 11:26 AM
I certainly have spoken to Admiral Fallon before...but not about this particular issue.

As I said, and as you seemingly have no answer for, if the admiral were misquoted, I would imagine that he would have his press office issue a statement denying the accuracy of that quote.

BoogyMan
09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I would imagine that if Admiral Fallon had been misquoted, he would have corrected the record.

I see that you have gotten your marching orders from the collective to come in and present this anonymously sourced "quote." This is truly starting to get funny.

I wonder why IPS is the source for this, and let me reapeat it, ANONYMOUSLY sourced quote? Why not the New York Times, or the Washington Post?

Hmmm.......

darin
09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I certainly have spoken to Admiral Fallon before...but not about this particular issue.

As I said, and as you seemingly have no answer for, if the admiral were misquoted, I would imagine that he would have his press office issue a statement denying the accuracy of that quote.

You are assuming-away the problem of "Credible source". You 'assume' it's true because you personally don't know of any statement denying the claim. How convenient for you.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 11:33 AM
You are assuming-away the problem of "Credible source". You 'assume' it's true because you personally don't know of any statement denying the claim. How convenient for you.

if you have a link to a centcom press release denying the quote, I would LOVE to read it.

darin
09-17-2007, 11:36 AM
if you have a link to a centcom press release denying the quote, I would LOVE to read it.

There you go again - your "logic" is so absurdly flawed it's nauseating to rational people.

Go for it! Believe an Un-named source reading the minutes of a meeting they didn't attend. Assume it's true for the reason you haven't read anything claiming it's not. There's NO way you got to E5, much-less O5.

My friend Gary who works at the pentagon says the Fallon and Petraeus go golfing all the time, and are even into wife-swapping.

Prove they are not. Gary said so. At least MY source has a name.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
so I guess you will not be providing that centcom press release, and will rely instead on your typical shopworn attacks on my naval service?

why am I not surprised?

jimnyc
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
One might want to start here and put things in a little more perspective:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2007/09/admiral_fallon_said_what.asp

What? You’ve never heard of this IPS and find yourself curious about who and what it is? IPS describes itself this way on its website: “IPS, civil society's leading news agency, is an independent voice from the South and for development, delving into globalisation for the stories underneath. Another communication is possible.” I don’t know what any of that means either, but I figure I’d share it with you and put it our there for deconstruction.

A couple of things about this IPS “scoop”. IPS reported the alleged exchange on September 12, or yesterday to you and me. The alleged exchange occurred back in March. You also might wonder how IPS got this juicy nugget. Did Admiral Fallon put a call into the news agency renowned for “delving into globalization”? Hardly. IPS got the story from “Pentagon sources familiar with reports of the meeting.” Mind you, IPS didn’t just use just anonymous Pentagon source who might have seen the exchange. IPS relied on sources who not only didn’t witness the exchange, but didn’t even talk to people who witnessed the exchange. They were just “familiar with reports of the meeting.” Allegedly.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
the weekly standard is no more an unbiased news source than IPS

jimnyc
09-17-2007, 11:54 AM
the weekly standard is no more an unbiased news source than IPS

Do you think GW has issued a press release for the thousands of untrue statements that have been attributed to him over the past 8 years or so?

And here's yet another story about the issue:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/09/lefty-slur-abou.html

BoogyMan
09-17-2007, 11:56 AM
One might want to start here and put things in a little more perspective:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2007/09/admiral_fallon_said_what.asp

Extremely well said. I have been arguing this anonymous sourcing garbage for quite a while now and it seems that the standard in play with regard to politics these days is, "if I agree with it, it must be true."

darin
09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
so I guess you will not be providing that centcom press release, and will rely instead on your typical shopworn attacks on my naval service?

why am I not surprised?

You are not surprised because you are blind and dumb. You can't speak - you find articles online and let THEM speak. Then you sit back and demand STUPID things as 'proof'.

Your 'service'? There you go again, you arrogant bastard...you think being an E5 would be an insult to your service? You are an insult to your service.

Sitarro
09-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I am quite sure that Admiral Fallon is well aware that General Petraeus is not in the United States Air Force.

Let's see, modern aircraft carriers cost 4-5 billion to buy from the builders (who no doubt pad the cost incredibly) and 160 million a year to operate(how many landing gear need to be replaced when Navy pilots crash their planes on the deck and call it a landing)...... what exactly do they do besides putting thousands of men and women in the position of sitting ducks. The United States Air Force can be anywhere in the world tomorrow rather than next week, what is the point of these big boats except for the egos of Admirals?

retiredman
09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Let's see, modern aircraft carriers cost 4-5 billion to buy from the builders (who no doubt pad the cost incredibly) and 160 million a year to operate(how many landing gear need to be replaced when Navy pilots crash their planes on the deck and call it a landing)...... what exactly do they do besides putting thousands of men and women in the position of sitting ducks. The United States Air Force can be anywhere in the world tomorrow rather than next week, what is the point of these big boats except for the egos of Admirals?

where to begin?

the air farce cannot even begin to put 90 aircraft with all their necessary support anywere in the world next week. with carriers, the navy can do exactly that in eight or ten hot spots simultaneously, and their ability to control strategic choke points in sea lines of communication and commerce is unparalleled.

if you are asking me what aircraft carriers do, then you clearly don't have enough knowledge to be telling me that they are useless.

the strategic mission of aircraft carriers is well known to military planners and that is why we keep building them. John Warner and Jim Webb are not powerful enough to cram something down the CinC's throat that he and his DoD don't actually believe is desparately needed.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
You are not surprised because you are blind and dumb. You can't speak - you find articles online and let THEM speak. Then you sit back and demand STUPID things as 'proof'.

Your 'service'? There you go again, you arrogant bastard...you think being an E5 would be an insult to your service? You are an insult to your service.

I made an observation. I offered an opinion. I think that CENTCOM would issue a retraction if Fallon had been thusly misquoted. If you chose to believe differently, that is perfectly OK with me.

I a quite certain that if you told an E-5 that he had only made it as far as E-2, he would correct you. And if you continued to repeat the mistake after being corrected, I am sure that the E-5 would be insulted. You obviously have never been in uniform. And keep my mother out of our conversation.

darin
09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I a quite certain that if you told an E-5 that he had only made it as far as E-2, he would correct you. And if you continued to repeat the mistake after being corrected, I am sure that the E-5 would be insulted. You obviously have never been in uniform. And keep my mother out of our conversation.

If a guy who made E5 continually wrote stuff which is contrary to what anybody reasonably-expecting an E5 to write, the question of his experience would be valid. Based on the dribble I've seen you come up with, I'd be surprised if you'd made it to E5, much less O5, as you 'claim'. Keep my 2nd cousin out of your conversation.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 02:00 PM
If a guy who made E5 continually wrote stuff which is contrary to what anybody reasonably-expecting an E5 to write, the question of his experience would be valid. Based on the dribble I've seen you come up with, I'd be surprised if you'd made it to E5, much less O5, as you 'claim'. Keep my 2nd cousin out of your conversation.

what specifically have I ever written regarding anything military, that would lead you to believe that I was not who I have said I am?

and if you call me a bastard, you are definitely bringing my mother into the conversation. I have no idea who the hell your second cousin is.... I would not be surprised if he were unaware of the connection as well.

darin
09-17-2007, 02:13 PM
what specifically have I ever written regarding anything military, that would lead you to believe that I was not who I have said I am?

and if you call me a bastard, you are definitely bringing my mother into the conversation. I have no idea who the hell your second cousin is.... I would not be surprised if he were unaware of the connection as well.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=590&stc=1&d=1190056333

retiredman
09-17-2007, 02:19 PM
your response is a smilie?

well, let me reciprocate: :lame2:

darin
09-17-2007, 02:25 PM
your response is a smilie?

well, let me reciprocate: :lame2:

He's not smiling. He's blinking. He's confused. He's reading what you wrote and is taken aback at the lunacy. He's blinking. He's a blinkie...not a smilie.

:)

This is him shrugging:

http://www.d-mphotos.com/images/darinshrug.gif

TheStripey1
09-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Only if his opinions on the Iraq war are the same as General Petraeus' or bush's opinions on it. If not, then they won't give a damn about what he has to say.

Admiral Fallon is General Petraeus' boss... that's a little more than just one admiral and one general...

Bush also picked Fallon. Big mistake militarily, IMO.

nope... gates did...

I see that you have gotten your marching orders from the collective to come in and present this anonymously sourced "quote." This is truly starting to get funny.

I wonder why IPS is the source for this, and let me reapeat it, ANONYMOUSLY sourced quote? Why not the New York Times, or the Washington Post?

Hmmm.......

booogy talking about marching orders... that's so presshhh-usss... you, of all people talking about marching orders... you were in the military, when again? which branch? what duty stations?

:poke::fu::poke:

darin
09-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Stripey - I just combined FOUR of your posts into ONE. STOP THAT, please?
If you're going to reply to everyone, put them all in one reply.

Admiral Fallon is General Petraeus' boss... that's a little more than just one admiral and one general...

It's VERY Clear you didn't read the whole thread.

Mr. P
09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Only if his opinions on the Iraq war are the same as General Petraeus' or bush's opinions on it. If not, then they won't give a damn about what he has to say.

nope... gates did...

booogy talking about marching orders... that's so presshhh-usss... you, of all people talking about marching orders... you were in the military, when again? which branch? what duty stations?

:poke::fu::poke:

gates didn't send him to congress for approval, Bush did, right? He F'd-up, again.
A Navy guy running ground forces? Geeeezzzzz.

BoogyMan
09-17-2007, 04:58 PM

I see the fetid state of your case of cranio-rectal inversion is made known to all now Stripey. Now that you have played the "I am 12 and miss my mommy" card, how about actually dealing with the topic at hand, oh thats right, you don't debate. You simply come in, make ridiculous assertions, try to pit poster against poster, and then run away.

:lame2:

retiredman
09-17-2007, 05:13 PM
gates didn't send him to congress for approval, Bush did, right? He F'd-up, again.
A Navy guy running ground forces? Geeeezzzzz.

the navy guy isn't "running ground forces"...he is running generals.:lol:

darin
09-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Side note:

I don't care WHAT the service - anybody reaching General/Admiral status knows a LOT about EVERYTHING. :)

Mr. P
09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
the navy guy isn't "running ground forces"...he is running generals.:lol:

That post, from a Navy guy, is a good example of why a Navy guy shouldn't be in charge. :laugh2:

If he runs generals he runs the ground forces, no? :slap:

Mr. P
09-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Side note:

I don't care WHAT the service - anybody reaching General/Admiral status knows a LOT about EVERYTHING. :)

Do ya think Patton could have been a good Pacific Fleet commander in WWII, or a fish outta water?

retiredman
09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
he tells the generals what he wants done...he doesn't tell them how to do it.

and I think Patton could have been a great CINCPAC...the commander of ALL US forces in the pacific - all services.

darin
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Do ya think Patton could have been a good Pacific Fleet commander in WWII, or a fish outta water?

He would have kicked ass with the right staff.

retiredman
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

Kathianne
09-17-2007, 05:54 PM

It seems you are coming allegedly close to the Moveon crowd.

manu1959
09-17-2007, 06:12 PM

isn't that the same reason you all started bashing Petraeus....he didn't back up the opinions of the three stooges?.....

Mr. P
09-17-2007, 06:56 PM

I agree, but he was ARMY and knew how to KICK ASS! :salute:

manu1959
09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree, but he was ARMY and knew how to KICK ASS! :salute:

nimitz was pretty good on water....

Mr. P
09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
nimitz was pretty good on water....

Very Good! On water. I am sure Fallon is as well.

manu1959
09-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Very Good! On water. I am sure Fallon is as well.

water guys should stay there...several miles off shore.....sending jets and shells to the cordinates they are given....

Mr. P
09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
water guys should stay there...several miles off shore.....sending jets and shells to the cordinates they are given....

I agree.

82Marine89
09-17-2007, 07:59 PM
LMAO - Let's examine the SOURCE:

That means...'somebody' says they saw a report of a meeting they did not attend...

LMFAO. That is what I noticed as well.

Fallon told Petraeus that he considered him to be "an ass-kissing little chickenshit" and added, "I hate people like that", the sources say.

My sources say that their sources don't exist.

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 08:16 PM

jd

Let's see if we can see someone, or maybe 2 people type the words "I was wrong"

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/09/military_fallon_petraeus_070917w/

Thanks goes to Kathianne for finding the quotes by Fallon denying what the article in this thread stated. Looks like 2 more here with a little egg on their faces!

Sir Evil
10-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Let's see if we can see someone, or maybe 2 people type the words "I was wrong"

yeah, and hell will freeze over too...:poke:

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 08:27 PM
yeah, and hell will freeze over too...:poke:

I never cease to be amazed. I do think MFM, as a military man himself, will acknowledge this once he sees the source being directly from the military. "Others" will continue to ignore as it doesn't suit their agenda.

MtnBiker
10-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Watch out for the term "General Faillin" soon.

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Wath out for the term "General Faillin" soon.

I'll stick with:

"I'm_a_dumbass_who_believes_anything_I_read_and_res tate_it_as_fact"

BoogyMan
10-01-2007, 08:51 PM

Are you guys STILL trying to stick this Edsel of a story on the political wall? Egads man, IPS is the ONLY news outlet that presented this as if it were a factual account.

Ever wonder why no-one other than the DU and KOS-tards picked this up and ran with it MFM? That is because it is the equivalent of a heaping pile of journalistic effluence.

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Well, MFM has read this thread and Fallon's comments and moved on. I guess we will in fact have to wait for hell to freeze over. Sad!

Sir Evil
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, MFM has read this thread and Fallon's comments and moved on. I guess we will in fact have to wait for hell to freeze over. Sad!

Well I'll add the "told you so" it might work.

retiredman
10-01-2007, 09:06 PM

clearly....y'all have never spent much time around flag officers.

Sir Evil
10-01-2007, 09:06 PM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

jimnyc
10-01-2007, 09:08 PM

My bad, I gave him more credit than I should have. It appears he IS in fact a liar with no integrity to speak of. I'll sleep well though!

Gaffer
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Nope haven't had the opportunity, but I bet they are a real partying crowd.

MtnBiker
10-01-2007, 09:16 PM
some people like the taste of sand

Sir Evil
10-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Nope haven't had the opportunity, but I bet they are a real partying crowd.

:lol::laugh2: