PDA

View Full Version : *Looking Good: Hillary Going For HealthCare Again*

chesswarsnow
09-17-2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But Hillary is going to push her failed Health Care thang again!
2. Oh man, this is just too good to be true!!!!
3. She should of waited till she got into power, but no,......
4. She drags it out faster than I drag out the squirrel,.....:pee: Hillary's Health Care Program.
5. Oh this is a fine day in American Politics!!:clap:
6. This stuff nearly writes itself!
7. Read this:

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/clinton-pledges-universal-health-care/20070917064009990001

"

Clinton Pledges Universal Health Care
By BETH FOUHY,AP
Posted: 2007-09-17 20:41:37
Filed Under: Elections News, Health News
DES MOINES, Iowa (Sept. 17) - Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton called for universal health care on Monday, plunging back into the bruising political battle she famously waged and lost as first lady on an issue that looms large in the 2008 presidential race.

Photo Gallery: A Second Try

Charlie Neibergall, AP "Everyone ... should have quality, affordable health care in America," Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said in Des Moines, Iowa, Monday, as she introduced a universal health care plan as part of her presidential campaign.
1 of 5

"This is not government-run," the party's front-runner said of her plan to extend coverage to an estimated 47 million Americans who now go without.

Her declaration was a clear message to Republicans, the insurance industry, businesses and millions of voters who nervously recall what sank her effort at health care reform 13 years ago in her husband's first term - fear of a big-government takeover.

In unveiling her plan, she called for a requirement for businesses to obtain insurance for employees, and said the wealthy should pay higher taxes to help defray the cost for those less able to pay for it. She put the government's cost at $110 billion a year.

Mindful of the lessons of her failed attempt, Clinton said that under her new plan anyone who is content with their health coverage can keep what they have. She insisted no new government bureaucracy would be created even as it seeks to cover tens of millions uninsured.

Story Telling Kit
Which issue is most important to you?
Health care
The economy
Iraq *DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!CWN ADDED*
Homeland security

*ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION,~CWN ADDED*

"I know my Republican opponents will try to equate health care for all Americans with government-run health care," Clinton said. "Don't let them fool us again. This is not government-run."

The New York senator said her plan would require every American to purchase insurance, either through their jobs or through a program modeled on Medicare or the federal employee health plan. Businesses would be required to offer insurance or contribute to a pool that would expand coverage. Individuals and small businesses would be offered tax credits to make insurance more affordable.

"I believe everyone - every man, woman and child - should have quality, affordable health care in America," Clinton told an audience at a medical center in Iowa, the early voting state that launches the nomination process.

As the front-runner, Clinton drew swift criticism from Democratic and Republican rivals, including party foes Bill Richardson and John Edwards who argued she was merely following their lead in offering a similar plan.

Clinton framed her quest as a moral imperative in which individuals, businesses, the insurance industry and the federal government each had a role to play. She said her plan would be bipartisan and would only be successful through negotiation - a sharp departure from her earlier effort.

Then, the Clinton health care task force met in secret and tried to drive legislation through Congress. Now, Clinton, a senator for seven years, spoke of compromise although she vowed to accomplish her goal in her first term if elected.

"She's running against essentially not just the other candidates but her own plan. She's trying to convince you that this is a new Clinton plan," said Robert Blendon, a professor of public health at Harvard Medical School.

To pay for her plan, Clinton said the tax cuts for Americans making $250,000 that were enacted under President Bush would be allowed to expire. She also projected she would identify $56 billion in savings through computerized record keeping, reducing the price of prescription drugs and cutting Medicare overpayments to hospitals and CEOs.

Despite the focus on letting people who are happy with their insurance keep what they have, her plan would raise taxes on some coverage for the wealthy.

The current exclusion from taxes of employer-provided health premiums would be limited for those who make more than $250,000 and have "very generous" plans. For such people, a portion of the premiums paid by the employer could become taxable income for the employee.

Joking that her proposals "won't make me the insurance industry's woman of the year," Clinton said companies would no longer be able to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions or genetic predisposition to certain illnesses.

The centerpiece of Clinton's latest effort is the so-called "individual mandate," requiring everyone to have health insurance just as most states require drivers to purchase auto insurance. Such a mandate has detractors at both ends of the political spectrum, and questions abound over how it would be enforced.

"Perhaps more than anybody else I know just how hard this fight will be," said the New York senator.

Clinton adviser Laurie Rubiner said the mandate could be enforced in a number of ways, such as denying certain tax deduction to those who refused to buy insurance. But she stressed that a specific mechanism would be worked out once the plan was passed.

Rival John Edwards has also offered a plan that includes an individual mandate, while the proposal outlined by Barack Obama does not. Obama has insisted individuals can't be forced to buy insurance until its costs are substantially reduced.

Obama released a statement Monday saying Clinton's plan is similar to one he proposed in the spring. He took a swipe at the Clinton administration's closed-door sessions on health care in the 1990s, saying "the real key to passing any health care reform is the ability to bring people together in an open, transparent process that builds a broad consensus for change."

For his part, Edwards said that on his first day in office he will submit legislation that would pull health insurance for the president, members of Congress and all political appointees unless they pass universal health care within six months.

Republican Mitt Romney, in New York City for a fundraising stop, criticized Clinton's proposal, saying, "'Hillary care' continues to be bad medicine ... in her plan, we have Washington-managed health care. Fundamentally, she takes her inspiration from European bureaucracies."

The plan that Romney helped institute while governor of Massachusetts requires the same individual insurance mandate as Clinton's and uses state subsidies to help reduce the cost of private coverage. Since then, Romney has said he would leave it up to the states to decide whether they supported such a mandate.

Campaigning in Florida, Republican Rudy Giuliani said Clinton's plans was a "pretty clear march to socialized medicine."

"Government command and control only increases costs and decreases quality," the former New York mayor said. "My approach is to encourage people to buy their own health insurance ... give people incentives to buy health insurance, not demand that they do it."

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
09-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. This just in,...... . . ... . .. ... . . .
2. Read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070918/ap_on_el_pr/clinton_ap_interview_6

"

AP Interview: Clinton on health care By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer
Tue Sep 18, 12:59 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton said Tuesday that a mandate requiring every American to purchase health insurance was the only way to achieve universal health care but she rejected the notion of punitive measures to force individuals into the health care system.

ADVERTISEMENT

"At this point, we don't have anything punitive that we have proposed," the presidential candidate said in an interview with The Associated Press. "We're providing incentives and tax credits which we think will be very attractive to the vast majority of Americans."

She said she could envision a day when "you have to show proof to your employer that you're insured as a part of the job interview — like when your kid goes to school and has to show proof of vaccination," but said such details would be worked out through negotiations with Congress.

Clinton unveiled her health care plan Monday in Iowa, promising to bring coverage to every American by building on the current employer-based system and using tax credits to make insurance more affordable.

She told the AP she relished a debate over health care with her political opponents, including Republicans "who understood that we had to reform health care before they started running for president."

On Tuesday, Clinton began airing a 30-second ad statewide in Iowa and New Hampshire promoting her new health care plan. The ad reminds viewers of her failed effort to pass universal health care in the early 1990s, trying to portray a thwarted enterprise as one of vision.

"She changed our thinking when she introduced universal health care to America," the ad's announcer says.

The ad also highlights her support as senator for an expanded Children's Health Insurance Program and for more affordable vaccines.

Her health care plan would require every American to buy health insurance, offering tax credits and subsidies to help those who can't afford it. The mandatory aspect of her proposal, however, gets glossed over in the ad.

"Now she has a health care plan that lets you keep your coverage if you like it, provides affordable choices if you don't, and covers every American," the ad says.

The ad also continues her campaign's effort to appropriate the mantle of change away from rivals Barack Obama and John Edwards. The word change or its variations appears four times in the ad, which ends: "So, if you're ready for change, she's ready to lead."

Though her ads are airing in major markets in both states, they are appaearing with greater frequency in Iowa. Polls of voters in New Hampshire show her with a double digit lead over Obama and Edwards, but polls in Iowa show the three of them clustered together.

"

A gift that keeps on giving.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

GW in Ohio
09-19-2007, 08:03 AM
chessy: You ought to try not to react to politics in that Pavlovian, knuckle-dragging GOPer way.

I heard Hillary propounding her health care plan yesterday.

She is the only major candidate that I'm aware of who's come up with a detailed plan, and she has nailed it......no single-payer, Canadian-style system...you can keep the coverage you currently have....

Her plan mainly fills in the gaps in the current system and brings people who currently do not have health care under the umbrella.

She's obviously learned a great deal since she first tried this in '93.

She looks the most presidential of any of the current candidates, in my opinion, and she's going to be your next president, so get used to saying:

Madam President

Sitarro
09-19-2007, 10:08 AM
chessy: You ought to try not to react to politics in that Pavlovian, knuckle-dragging GOPer way.

I heard Hillary propounding her health care plan yesterday.

She is the only major candidate that I'm aware of who's come up with a detailed plan, and she has nailed it......no single-payer, Canadian-style system...you can keep the coverage you currently have....

Her plan mainly fills in the gaps in the current system and brings people who currently do not have health care under the umbrella.

She's obviously learned a great deal since she first tried this in '93.

She looks the most presidential of any of the current candidates, in my opinion, and she's going to be your next president, so get used to saying:

Madam President

That woman is hated by men and women alike, she, if elected because foolish people throw away their votes on symbolic bullshit(her only chance) will never make it through her first year.

You are a dreaming Dem-zombie that has absolutely no clue about politics, the world or reality.

Hagbard Celine
09-19-2007, 10:26 AM
That woman is hated by men and women alike, she, if elected because foolish people throw away their votes on symbolic bullshit(her only chance) will never make it through her first year.

You are a dreaming Dem-zombie that has absolutely no clue about politics, the world or reality.

Speak for yourself bub. People like Hillary. Lots of people. The number who despise and hate her for no reason is very small and is mostly limited to backwater rural areas and this message board. As GW in Ohio says, get used to saying "Madam President."

Gaffer
09-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Punitive punishments mandated by congress for not having health care. Forcing people to have health care before they can get a job. Now there's a plan.

chesswarsnow
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I hope she gets the nod form the Democratics.
2. Because if she does, she will be beat down so bad by *Swift Boat* types it will get ugly.
3. Which will be fine, because she is ugly.
4. In, *The Great CWN's* view, Obama is a stronger Candidate.
5. But he's black, and thats a problem for most America, which hurts his chances as well.
6. So really, The Democratics have no real worthy front runner.
7. Drag out the squirrel :pee:Hillary

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

GW in Ohio
09-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. I hope she gets the nod form the Democratics.
2. Because if she does, she will be beat down so bad by *Swift Boat* types it will get ugly.
3. Which will be fine, because she is ugly.
4. In, *The Great CWN's* view, Obama is a stronger Candidate.
5. But he's black, and thats a problem for most America, which hurts his chances as well.
6. So really, The Democratics have no real worthy front runner.
7. Drag out the squirrel :pee:Hillary

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Chessie: Obama is just a callow kid. Hillary's the real deal.

I will have lived through 8 years of embarrassment caused by GW Bush when Hillary is inagurated.

Come and see me if you want some tips on surviving a president you don't like.

stephanie
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I hope the Hillary is nominated...

If anyone can get the Republicans and Conservatives to the polls................it's HER...:laugh2:

09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Speak for yourself bub. People like Hillary. Lots of people. The number who despise and hate her for no reason is very small and is mostly limited to backwater rural areas and this message board. As GW in Ohio says, get used to saying "Madam President."

We still have atleast 5 years before something liek that happens, and it wont be Hillary. So i dont think we have to get used to saying that for a while.

09-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Chessie: Obama is just a callow kid. Hillary's the real deal.

I will have lived through 8 years of embarrassment caused by GW Bush when Hillary is inagurated.

Come and see me if you want some tips on surviving a president you don't like.

Yeah its been such a struggle with the great economy, keeping more of your money, liberating opressed nations of the world. Such a crappy presidency.

GW in Ohio
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah its been such a struggle with the great economy, keeping more of your money, liberating opressed nations of the world. Such a crappy presidency.

"Liberating oppressed nations of the world................................"

:lol::laugh2::clap::dance::clap::laugh2::lol:

5stringJeff
09-20-2007, 05:50 PM
If it's Hillary and her repackaged health care plan, versus the FREEDOM to choose whether or not to have health insurance, I choose freedom.