PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling student loans

SassyLady
11-25-2020, 12:22 AM
Had an epiphany! Democrats want everyone to get a college education so they can be brainwashed!

Duh!

:slap:

Kathianne
11-25-2020, 12:51 AM
Had an epiphany! Democrats want everyone to get a college education so they can be brainwashed!

Duh!

:slap:

Why should the poor pay for the wealthy? It's wrong.

SassyLady
11-25-2020, 01:03 AM
Why should the poor pay for the wealthy? It's wrong.

Democrats want young adults to be brainwashed by liberal universities. No one should get a free ride. That's what scholarships are for. I went to college on scholarships and loans. Took me 10+ years to pay off, but I did it.

Kathianne
11-25-2020, 01:43 AM
Democrats want young adults to be brainwashed by liberal universities. No one should get a free ride. That's what scholarships are for. I went to college on scholarships and loans. Took me 10+ years to pay off, but I did it.

Hey, if one borrows, one has to pay it back.

Truth is, the poor have horrible schools for the most part. The children who have parents that can enrich their knowledge are few and far between. Most have only a mother or grandmother. Too many live in neighborhoods where the men that are around, are not working at legal endeavors. Gangs are rampant and it's easy to believe that only 'fools bother with school.' Even where the kids are lucky enough to get good teachers, most everything in their lives are working against that.

Not so kids in middle class or higher income families. For most, they are in families/neighborhoods that encourage mores that encourage academics or at the very least, preparing for a future. Their natural gifts are more likely to be recognized. Their schools and the expectations to achieve are often a given.

While it is true that minority poor kids that overcome the odds and learn enough to graduate high school and apply for universities are likely to receive scholarships and grants. Poor whites or Asians are not nearly as likely to get a full ride. (You all do know now that Asians are considered 'white,' for statistical stats, because they achieve too high. Honestly.

So who tends to graduate college with the most loans? Those that major in subjects least likely to lead to quick, profitable employment. Women/Native American/Minority studies; philosophy; etc. Why? They finish their BA with maybe $20k in debt-less than most new car loans. They cannot get jobs, so they go onto grad school, wracking up debt to the tune of $100-200k. Teachers too are high debt takers, as their future salary amounts depend on advanced degrees. Not unusual to find teachers with multiple master degrees or even Phd.

Why should their debts just be wiped out? Their classmates that went into one of the trades or selling insurance or real estate or working retail or restaurants out of high school after 4-6 years of working are likely ready to buy a home or start their own businesses. What did their university classmates do to help them? Nothing. Why should they have any of their income used to wipe out someone else's debt?
How does any of this help change the lives of those poor minority kids?

I certainly don't buy into the government being involved in enabling people to perpetuate the cycle of poverty. I don't believe in reparations for the 'sins of the fathers,' either. Most strongly I don't believe in those who chose not to or couldn't afford to attend universities to pay for those that do.

jimnyc
11-25-2020, 02:22 PM
I wonder if they will offer any reimbursements for people who recently paid off their student loan? I finished mine in 1989 and it feels like it was yesterday! It wasn't a ton anyway, but does anyone have a link yet as to where I can sign up for my check?