PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, storm coming to the Northeast

jimnyc
12-16-2020, 02:28 PM
I didn't even know about this until a short while ago. Reading too much damn other news and missed the weather.

Anyway, snow is supposed to move in starting in the next hour or 2 - and not stopping until tomorrow afternoon. Anywhere from 12-16 inches of snow. I'm hoping they're wrong. I love looking at snow, but I am really not in the mood to be shoveling. :(

Abbey - how much you guys looking at? KarlMarx -

Here's our latest advisory warning:

Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions

Issued By
New York City - NY, US, National Weather Service

Affected Area
Portions of northeast New Jersey, southern Connecticut and southeast New York

Description
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 1 PM EST THURSDAY...

WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 16 inches. Winds gusting as high as 40 to 45 mph.

WHERE...Portions of northeast New Jersey, southern Connecticut and southeast New York.

WHEN...From 2 PM this afternoon to 1 PM EST Thursday.

IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...There is still some uncertainty with how much, if any mixing occurs tonight for southeastern coastal Connecticut. If some mixing occurs, snowfall amounts will be lower.

Abbey Marie
12-16-2020, 02:36 PM
Probably just 3” - 6” by tomorrow. Looks like about 1” so far. Love it!

jimnyc
12-16-2020, 02:59 PM
Probably just 3” - 6” by tomorrow. Looks like about 1” so far. Love it!

Yeah, but you get the joy of loving the beauty of the snow, and maybe even hitting Russ in the back of his head while he's shoveling!!

I think I feel a migraine coming on, or my back is injured, or my wrist is worse than ever.... :laugh:

Abbey Marie
12-16-2020, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but you get the joy of loving the beauty of the snow, and maybe even hitting Russ in the back of his head while he's shoveling!!

I think I feel a migraine coming on, or my back is injured, or my wrist is worse than ever.... :laugh:

:laugh:

Snow blower for my old man!

jimnyc
12-16-2020, 03:14 PM
:laugh:

Snow blower for my old man!

And I STILL don't have me a snowblower. :(

Some day though, oh yeah, its coming! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
12-16-2020, 04:17 PM
Around 3” now. It looks so pretty.

SassyLady
12-16-2020, 04:28 PM
No snow here in Tucson!

But last week, in the mountains ... snow everywhere. Luckily we were camping and the next day the only snow left was in the shade.

I'm glad we don't have to shovel. Never sticks around long enough.

Abbey Marie
12-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Back yard:

jimnyc
12-16-2020, 04:34 PM
Apparently we're gonna get all the snow here with up to 16". Looking out into my yard I see everything is already fully covered in white and coming down heavy!

Abbey Marie
12-16-2020, 04:35 PM
Apparently we're gonna get all the snow here with up to 16". Looking out into my yard I see everything is already fully covered in white and coming down heavy!

Nikoh!

Mr. P
12-16-2020, 06:34 PM
You guys are gonna get DUNKED on!

gabosaurus
12-16-2020, 08:02 PM
Apparently we're gonna get all the snow here with up to 16". Looking out into my yard I see everything is already fully covered in white and coming down heavy! This is why I live in Southern California. Snow and subfreezing temps are not my thing.

Kathianne
12-16-2020, 11:54 PM
No snow here in Tucson!

But last week, in the mountains ... snow everywhere. Luckily we were camping and the next day the only snow left was in the shade.

I'm glad we don't have to shovel. Never sticks around long enough.

I love looking at the mountains covered in snow. I am glad to be living where it doesn't fall though. ;)

jimnyc
12-17-2020, 01:11 PM
While I look forward to a different environment or 2 down the road - I wouldn't have changed growing up in an area where I get to enjoy all 4 seasons. I love the sunny weather, who doesn't! But sometimes I do enjoy the snow. I absolutely love spring time and light sweatshirt weather. And same even with fall, after getting tired of all the hot weather, it's nice to feel the breezes and put on that light sweatshirt.

Anyway, never mind all of that.

Here's the beginning of the snow last night, and Nikoh getting to go outside for the first snow of 2020!! I gotta ge me a few more vids today as we got, but only like 10" of snow or so.

Funny as hell, earlier she was in the back yard, dead center, just simply laying there. She points in the direction of the few trees we have just waiting and waiting for a squirrel. But last night she was just happy to realize what she had again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THqwcCJokA

KarlMarx
12-18-2020, 05:56 AM
Endicott New York... 40.5 inches ..... worst recorded snowstorm in history for this area

Kathianne
12-18-2020, 11:03 AM
:shocked: lots of :coffee:

SassyLady
12-18-2020, 02:22 PM
I heard NY got more in one day than all of 2019 combined. Yikes!

jimnyc
12-18-2020, 03:02 PM
I heard NY got more in one day than all of 2019 combined. Yikes!

It's nuts in N and how much the snow fluctuated in different areas. So many areas did set record snowfall though. We only got around 11-12" here, thankfully!

Damn, Binghamtown NY got over 40"!! That's about 3 hours north of here, and west of Albany. Newark Valley, right next to them got 44" confirmed.

Unfortunately, a lot of deaths reported & a ton of accidents - and the usual tons now without power.

Nothing sunlight and 4-wheel drive can't handle though! :thumb:

gabosaurus
12-18-2020, 04:05 PM
This is mind blowing stuff for a SoCal girl ------> https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/local/2020/12/18/ny-snowstorm-broome-county-digs-out-after-record-noreaster/3955594001/

SassyLady
12-18-2020, 07:40 PM
So much snow!

https://youtu.be/vXCiQBwC_LY

Kathianne
12-19-2020, 01:29 AM
So much snow!

https://youtu.be/vXCiQBwC_LY
I've got to admit, one of my favorite days from being in Chicago, '67 snowstorm! Out of school 4 days and no cars on streets for 2! Glorious of a kid! 27" of snow! Weirdest thing about it, it was in the 60's the day before it hit! It was predicted to be a 'small, wet snow.' It was a monster!

gabosaurus
12-19-2020, 09:20 PM
This is some crazy stuff. Four feet of snow? I will stick with earthquakes and wildfires. -------> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXCiQBwC_LY

Abbey Marie
12-20-2020, 12:43 PM
Not me! Snow is generally a pretty inconvenience. Earthquakes and wildfires are destructive and can be extremely dangerous. Don't like hurricanes either.

SassyLady
12-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Tucson ... no blizzards, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, no earthquakes ... occasional wildfire.