PDA

View Full Version : 'Morning Joe' Uncorks on Rubio for Saying Dr. Fauci Lied About Masks

jimnyc
12-29-2020, 05:55 PM
I don't necessarily think that Fauci lied maliciously on these things, but mistakes nonetheless, and shows that Rubio was far from "obscene" as the MJ show says. :rolleyes:

---

'OBSCENITY'? 'Morning Joe' Uncorks on Rubio for Saying Dr. Fauci Lied About Masks

On Monday's Morning Joe on MSNBC, fill-in host Kasie Hunt and contributor Mike Barnicle trashed Senator Marco Rubio after the Florida Republican sent out a tweet on Sunday complaining that Dr. Anthony Fauci has a history of conflicting statements about pandemic-related issues, and recently suggesting he delayed "the truth" until the public could handle it.

Barnicle called Rubio's reaction to Fauci "an obscenity" and wrongly suggested that the Florida Senator had opposed mask-wearing.

At 7:25 a.m. Eastern, Hunt played a clip of Dr. Fauci from Sunday's State of the Union on CNN in which he claimed that he recently changed his projections to call for a higher percentage of Americans to be vaccinated, suggesting that it was just because of new scientific discoveries.

Hunt then showed a tweet Senator Rubio sent out Sunday, and then disapprovingly called out Senator Rubio for alleged "hypocrisy" as she recalled his tweet's criticism of Dr. Fauci

KASIE HUNT: Not everyone, though, is accepting Dr. Fauci's revised estimate on just how many Americans should take the coronavirus vaccine. Republican Senator Marco Rubio of Florida accused Dr. Fauci of quote, "lying about masks" and quote, "distorting the level of vaccination needed for herd immunity." Many on Twitter pointed out Senator Rubio's hypocrisy.

Rest - https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/brad-wilmouth/2020/12/29/obscenity-morning-joe-uncorks-rubio-saying-dr-fauci-lied-about

Fauci says he altered public scientific estimates based on opinion polls

Admission he lowballed estimated herd immunity threshold follows earlier acknowledgement he misled on efficacy of masks.

(video at site)
https://i.imgur.com/M2Zdj28.png

Dr. Anthony Fauci appeared to admit last week that he has deliberately misled the public regarding the coronavirus — for the second time since the pandemic began.

In a Christmas Eve interview with the New York Times, Fauci acknowledged he had offered a lower estimate of the level of herd immunity necessary to stop the COVID-19 pandemic because he thought Americans would be discouraged by hearing his true thoughts on the issue.

He recently raised his estimate on the herd immunity threshold "partly based on new science," the newspaper reported, "and partly on his gut feeling that the country is finally ready to hear what he really thinks."

Fauci himself told the paper that he had withheld the higher estimates because polling results made him think such estimates would be viewed unfavorably.

“When polls said only about half of all Americans would take a vaccine, I was saying herd immunity would take 70 to 75 percent," he told reporter Donald McNeil. "Then, when newer surveys said 60 percent or more would take it, I thought, 'I can nudge this up a bit,' so I went to 80, 85."

Fauci admitted that scientists "really don't know what the real number is," though he himself estimated that the "real range is somewhere between 70 to 90 percent."

"But, I'm not going to say 90 percent," he added, because "doing so might be discouraging to Americans," according to the Times.

Fauci's reported admission that he altered his public scientific estimates on the basis of polling numbers is not the first time the doctor has admitted to misleading the public during the COVID crisis.

At the outset of the pandemic, Fauci — like most public health authorities — advised against wearing face masks, telling the public that doing so was unnecessary unless an individual was showing symptoms of COVID-19.

Fauci in subsequent weeks and months made a sharp 180-degree turn on the subject of masks, advocating their universal usage and arguing that mask-wearing is critical to stopping the spread of COVID-19.

When pressed in June on why he had initially argued against masks, Fauci said that the public health community was "concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply."

"And we wanted to make sure," Fauci continued, that the scarce PPE was reserved for "the people, namely the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in [harm's way], to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected."

In a September interview with ABC, Fauci repeated this admission.

"Very early on in the pandemic, in the very early months, before we even had many cases," he said, "... there was a shortage of PPE and masks for health care providers who needed them desperately since they were putting their lives and their safety on the line every day.

Rest - https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/coronavirus/fauci-doctor-statements-misleading-public