PDA

View Full Version : Julian Assange’s Extradition to the United States Blocked by UK Judge

jimnyc
01-04-2021, 02:45 PM
So they're afraid he may not enjoy being brought to justice? That he may not get a kick out of going to prison for any crimes he's found guilty of? As if all the other folks who go to prison are overcome with joy. No depression for anyone else stuck in prison either. :rolleyes:

---

WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange’s Extradition to the United States Blocked by UK Judge

A British judge ruled on Monday that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange cannot be extradited to the United States to face charges of espionage, as it would increase the risk of Assange commiting suicide in prison.

United States prosecutors indicted the Australian born WikiLeaks founder on 17 charges under the Espionage Act as well as one count of computer misuse, meaning that were he to be extradited to America, Mr Assange would have faced up to 175 years in prison.

The court heard that were he to be convicted of the charges, Assange could face a sentence in the Supermax ADX prison facility in Colorado — where convicted terrorist Abu Hamza is currently incarcerated — and would be subject to solitary confinement.

Psychiatrists for the legal defence team argued that this would increase the suicide risk for Mr Assange, who they claim has been suffering from severe depression.

Announcing the decision to block the extradition, District Judge Vanessa Baraitser said: “The overall impression is of a depressed and sometimes despairing man fearful for his future.”

“Faced with the conditions of near total isolation without the protective factors which limited his risk at HMP Belmarsh, I am satisfied the procedures described by the US will not prevent Mr Assange from finding a way to commit suicide and for this reason I have decided extradition would be oppressive by reason of mental harm and I order his discharge,” the judge added.

Mr Assange is not expected to be released from the high-security Belmarsh Prison outside of London, however, as U.S. prosecutors are expected to launch an appeal against the decision.

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2021/01/04/wikileaks-founder-julian-assanges-extradition-to-the-united-states-blocked-by-uk-judge/