PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Big Tech

NightTrain
01-10-2021, 02:08 PM
There's a lot of interest lately in finding alternatives to Facebook, Twitter, Apple, and others for their unabashed urge to censor anyone that isn't in lockstep with liberal group think.

Right now I'm finishing up a week-long ban on Facebook. This is my 4th one in the last 6 months, and all of them were for beating a liberal in an argument - except one that was for posting this picture :

Not liking the fact that I beat up a liberal in a debate I can understand, but that is no reason to delete my posts and ban me. Posting a collage of pictures taken by mainstream media at public events is absolutely a reasonable thing to do, but I was banned.

Fair enough, it is a private enterprise and they have the right to give me the Size 13 digital boot.

Today I signed up for Gab. They're overloaded with the mass exodus from big tech platforms, so I understand their issues as they scramble to get extra servers up and running.

My handle on Gab is AK_NightTrain.

Parler is crippled due to Amazon getting into the leftist game of shutting down anyone who doesn't subscribe to leftist ideals.

I checked out and signed up for MeWe, but it seems clunky and lame. Hopefully they'll get some talent hired and make it a viable alternative to Facebook.

Duck Duck Go is the best alternative to Google for searches IMHO, but severing your Andriod cellphone from Google will prove to be a challenge at this point. I'm sure there's a lot of effort right now around the world to provide alternatives.

Anyone have other alternatives that I haven't mentioned here?

I have gigs of videos and pictures on Facebook that I have to download before I nuke my account. It was a great way to stay in touch with family and friends, but I'm no longer willing to support those commies.

jimnyc
01-10-2021, 02:24 PM
In Facebook:

Top right, click your profile picture, settings and privacy, and then click settings (or however you get to settings on your setup)

(Your facebook information) that's an option on the left - and that one allows you to switch photos/videos to another service. Also an option in there to download to your computer.

The one you really want though, is just beneath that - "Download your information". After you click view, you can click on the options to download, or all of them by default.

Click on "create file" and let her do it's thing and create an archive file for you to download. The more you have on there the longer it'll take and the larger the file. They will send off a notice to you when it's completed.

I think I may be done there soon too. You see me on there, ever see me post, you or Sharon? I used to... now only for private messaging, that's about it.

jimnyc
01-10-2021, 02:54 PM
I just downloaded my entire acct, but likely smaller than yours, Rick - I just downloaded a 262Mb file.

NightTrain
01-10-2021, 03:08 PM
I just downloaded my entire acct, but likely smaller than yours, Rick - I just downloaded a 262Mb file.

No, I haven't seen you post in quite a while now. Darin does every now and then, and Nukey.... but that's about it from DP.

FB is trying to round up my info, it's been working on it for 15 minutes now. Probably have to break out the 5 TB external hard drive for this.

revelarts
01-10-2021, 04:08 PM
I think folks know how i feel about censorship,
by the U.S. gov't or corporations.

It's nice to see folks realizing that big corporations have a practical monopoly on public communication.
And they literally have the power to block communications of any/everyone, including the President of the U.S..

I know many of you are committed to "free markets" and no gov't controls/regs over biz.
But here's are some questions i want to leave you with.

If a group of companies have a practical monopoly over the nations communication (many nations) is it a good idea for the govt to break them up?
And/Or is it a good idea to create some kind of regulation that requires them to allow equal access to all POVs and persons on their platforms as a cost of doing biz?

If so can you make that work with your understanding of free markets and No gov't regs on the markets.

Personally I believe monopoly is where the free market breaks and that if a monopoly doesn't fall naturally gov't or community has a right to break it up or regulate them. (Monopoly or a small group/consortium over one or more essential aspects of life)

in the case of U.S. communications it's clear that at this point the media and tech companies literally can shut off or promote ANY messages they want.
I have to wonder how much of the the US military is run pass "private corporations" how much of the courts? how much of our regulation bureaucracies that deal with food and medicine? The State Dept and embassies?
If the communications corps deem some aspect of those agencies work "dangerous" or against their terms of service" what recourse does the gov't have?

We now know the political landscape is RUN on the backs of the MSM, Internet, Social media, Email, Google, and ISP Services. If they decide any candidate or politician is "dangerous", then there's no way to use the primary communication mediums.

anyway.

I'm not hopeful that rank & file conservatives and especially republican politicians will rise above their love of big corporations to help regulate the MSM, MSSM and Communication giants like AT&T Google FB etc to promote FREE and equal access to public communication platforms.

And all sides have fallen in love with banning others, "Ban Muslims!" "Ban Alex Jones!" "Ban Kapernick!" "Ban Chic-Fil-A!" etc etc. But the left has gone off the deep end with no foundational philosophy to bring them back to the concept of "Free Speech" or Equal Access.
The right abandoned many constitutional principles after 911 with gov't surveillance, torture etc, but still mouths the words, and claims some relation to the foundations of U.S. freedoms, "God given rights" but it seems that's more for decoration than something to actually practice in politics. We have to be realistic and pragmatic ya know.

But, Looks like "big brother" is being fast tracked.

I pray the best for all of you and hope you all have/will trust in God through Jesus Christ, for today and eternity.

John 3
The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands.Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

Ephesians 2
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

jimnyc
01-10-2021, 04:17 PM
No, I haven't seen you post in quite a while now. Darin does every now and then, and Nukey.... but that's about it from DP.

FB is trying to round up my info, it's been working on it for 15 minutes now. Probably have to break out the 5 TB external hard drive for this.

I used to post little, but enough to show folks I was alive. Then at times I picked up and posted or replied to friends stuff. Was all over it whenever on vacation & posted a lot about Alaska and a lot of photos. But I stopped back in May it appears, and even it was already growing sparse then. I did reply to some folks that wished me happy birthday and that was it, lights went out on the public side for me.

tailfins
01-10-2021, 04:32 PM
My Facebook account is in this weird suspended state pending my submission of positive identification, which they will never get. I was communicating with Maykel González Vivero, a Cuban dissident who is considered an enemy of the state. Only a very stupid person would give Facebook identification acting in cooperation with the Cuban authorities. Facebook cooperates with the Cuban Communist Party in its repression.

jimnyc
01-10-2021, 04:42 PM

:bow2: I for one admit my shortcomings and things I may have seen as more conspiracy theory material is now believable. And things about our govt. I trusted and was naive. There were easily times you brought things forward that were likely way more accurate than I gave credit for.

in the case of U.S. communications it's clear that at this point the media and tech companies literally can shut off or promote ANY messages they want.

We now know the political landscape is RUN on the backs of the MSM, Internet, Social media, Email, Google, and ISP Services. If they decide any candidate or politician is "dangerous", then there's no way to use the primary communication mediums.

The way Americans still mainly receive their news is via television. And many still use regular broadcast channels. And some have moved over to cable television news. They trust the news to be accurate, just as the scores of last nights games and what the weather will be like today and tomorrow. The factual news we receive should be just as clear, but its not, not nearly.

And the internet isn't a ton different. Except enter social media and email & "internet service providers" which are needed for all of the above. And we watched while the news we were delivered was a TON of lies and censorship & basically positive advertising for the left while condemning only the right. Went on for 4 years but came out strongly in the past year and in an in your face manner.

Social media wasn't bad but seemingly grew worse as the 4 years went on, and then went into election mode in the past year as well. And oddly, it was as if they coordinated their plans at times. Many many things deleted, or didn't appear due to shadow banning, then the suspensions galore and we all know how the last year and then last week has went. *** And when folks seem to say, ok enough is enough, we'll leave and do our own thing, they try to blackball those efforts in every way possible. By not allowing in the open market system which is primarily needed to install apps on your devices. Then they hit the hosting providers & also email provider. What happens next and where things go to is unknown. :dunno:

And all sides have fallen in love with banning others, "Ban Muslims!" "Ban Alex Jones!" "Ban Kapernick!" "Ban Chic-Fil-A!" etc etc. But the left has gone off the deep end with no foundational philosophy to bring them back to the concept of "Free Speech" or Equal Access.

It's pushed the boundaries of common sense. As now all that is needed is a growing group of people to simply send public twitter messages to the employees company to embarrass them out of a job. WAY way too many unnecessary firings and banning and censoring. Won't find much of an argument from me in here.

In reference to the big tech on the internet & MSM coordination and censorship - went from 50 to 1000 MPH in guinness record time. :rolleyes:

I pray the best for all of you and hope you all have/will trust in God through Jesus Christ, for today and eternity.

Thanks, Rev, appreciated. :)

NightTrain
01-10-2021, 05:03 PM
Well, Rev, I will be the first to admit that I thought you were taking things too far with regards to how far big tech would go. Honestly, it appears that the entire country has lost it's collective mind in the headlong rush to censorship and outright fascist behavior.

I don't even like using the word fascist due to millions of idiotic Americans ironically using it. It feels like Bizarro World.

At any rate, you were correct in predicting where this all was leading as I trusted that the ordinarily smart people running the show would pump the brakes, but that didn't happen.

Yes, they need to be broken up, I see that now, but that certainly won't have a chance of happening until 2022 at the earliest. Democrats certainly aren't going to punish their largest allies.

NightTrain
01-10-2021, 05:06 PM
I just downloaded Brave browser for my phone, using it right now. I'll test for a while and report back with my opinion of it.

So far, so good. Feels fast and light, and automatically blocks ads and prevents tracking.

SassyLady
01-10-2021, 06:25 PM

It's nice to see folks realizing that big corporations have a practical monopoly on public communication.
And they literally have the power to block communications of any/everyone, including the President of the U.S..

I know many of you are committed to "free markets" and no gov't controls/regs over biz.
But here's are some questions i want to leave you with.

If a group of companies have a practical monopoly over the nations communication (many nations) is it a good idea for the govt to break them up?
And/Or is it a good idea to create some kind of regulation that requires them to allow equal access to all POVs and persons on their platforms as a cost of doing biz?

If so can you make that work with your understanding of free markets and No gov't regs on the markets.

Personally I believe monopoly is where the free market breaks and that if a monopoly doesn't fall naturally gov't or community has a right to break it up or regulate them. (Monopoly or a small group/consortium over one or more essential aspects of life)

I have to wonder how much of the the US military is run pass "private corporations" how much of the courts? how much of our regulation bureaucracies that deal with food and medicine? The State Dept and embassies?
If the communications corps deem some aspect of those agencies work "dangerous" or against their terms of service" what recourse does the gov't have?

anyway.

I'm not hopeful that rank & file conservatives and especially republican politicians will rise above their love of big corporations to help regulate the MSM, MSSM and Communication giants like AT&T Google FB etc to promote FREE and equal access to public communication platforms.

The right abandoned many constitutional principles after 911 with gov't surveillance, torture etc, but still mouths the words, and claims some relation to the foundations of U.S. freedoms, "God given rights" but it seems that's more for decoration than something to actually practice in politics. We have to be realistic and pragmatic ya know.

I'm OK with breaking up monopolies. That's why I'm also not a globalist. I believe in free markets but when a private company controls government it is too dangerous.

SassyLady
01-10-2021, 06:26 PM
I used to post little, but enough to show folks I was alive. Then at times I picked up and posted or replied to friends stuff. Was all over it whenever on vacation & posted a lot about Alaska and a lot of photos. But I stopped back in May it appears, and even it was already growing sparse then. I did reply to some folks that wished me happy birthday and that was it, lights went out on the public side for me.

January 1, 2018 was my last day on FB. I didn't like the censorship back even back then. Never did the Twitter, Instagram, etc.

SassyLady
01-10-2021, 06:34 PM
I just downloaded Brave browser for my phone, using it right now. I'll test for a while and report back with my opinion of it.

So far, so good. Feels fast and light, and automatically blocks ads and prevents tracking.

Have you tried GAB's DIssenter browser? If you do please let me know how you like it.

GAB seems like the best alternative to me. Not beholden to any tech company. Actually hired some silicon valley dissenters from FB to help him.

They have alternative to FB, Twitter, YouTube, Google and smart phone without Google.

Trouble right now is they are inundated with all the people leaving the other platforms. And, dealing with people like senator Warner, NYT and Washington Post trying to take them down.

And, the fact that he's a Christian puts a huge target on his back.

NightTrain
01-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Have you tried GAB's DIssenter browser? If you do please let me know how you like it.

GAB seems like the best alternative to me. Not beholden to any tech company. Actually hired some silicon valley dissenters from FB to help him.

They have alternative to FB, Twitter, YouTube, Google and smart phone without Google.

Trouble right now is they are inundated with all the people leaving the other platforms. And, dealing with people like senator Warner, NYT and Washington Post trying to take them down.

And, the fact that he's a Christian puts a huge target on his back.

Not yet, Dissenter is next on my list to try out.

Also looking to change phone OS to completely cut Google out of my life, but that's a big deal and I'll research that thoroughly.

Oh, and there's an alternative to Amazon, btw : Wayfair. Shar and I bought the most awesome electric kid's car from Wayfair - only because Amazon was sold out, at the time - and they only charged $15 shipping to Alaska from Tennessee. The box was almost 6' long and weighed 66 pounds, so that was a real bargain!

I couldn't resist a Lamborghini in my life - and it has a remote control for it, so I can drive my grandson around in it until he's ready to take the wheel!

I've got a ton of digital movies that I bought on Amazon, and that was a mistake. Live and learn. I've spent tens of thousands on various things on Amazon, but no more.

SassyLady
01-10-2021, 06:53 PM
Not yet, Dissenter is next on my list to try out.

Also looking to change phone OS to completely cut Google out of my life, but that's a big deal and I'll research that thoroughly.

Oh, and there's an alternative to Amazon, btw : Wayfair.

I've got a ton of digital movies that I bought on Amazon, and that was a mistake. Live and learn. I've spent tens of thousands on various things on Amazon, but no more.

Which way does Wayfair lean?

Kathianne
01-10-2021, 07:05 PM
I'm guessing based on past actions, not towards the right. At least the employees:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/25/wayfair-employees-protest-apparent-sale-of-childrens-beds-to-detention-camp.html

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/wayfair-sold-beds-to-furnish-border-camps-its-employees-are-walking-out-in-protest/

NightTrain
01-10-2021, 07:20 PM
On Monday, Wayfair management responded with an internal statement, saying that “it is standard practice to fulfill orders for all customers and we believe it is our business to sell to any customer who is acting within the laws of the countries within which we operate.” The statement added, “[T]his does not indicate support for the opinions or actions of the groups or individuals who purchase from us.”

Sounds like the position all businesses should take. They didn't cave to the SJW Liberal mob employees.

pete311
01-10-2021, 08:30 PM
Love how you conservatives love to tell private companies what to do.

NightTrain
01-10-2021, 08:38 PM

Well, well, well!

That's right, I completely forgot to inform PhysicsForum that the owner is self-confessed to reading all members' private messages.

Thanks for the reminder, Greg! Did you also inform Ana about your perverted and unethical tendencies? How about all of the members? Did you come clean like an ethical person would?

Or are you somehow under the delusion that I forgot about everything?

jimnyc
01-10-2021, 09:46 PM

Sure, pointing out alternatives and how to use them is telling them what to do? :cuckoo:

I always said, a private business should be able to run their business as they see fit, and consumers can shop where they prefer.

But if the government or overseeing agencies decide that one of these companies is a monopoly and breaks things up, so be it. I'm going where I prefer and not "shopping" at a shitty place. Not a difficult concept.

SassyLady
01-10-2021, 10:58 PM

But you think it's OK for private companies to censor conservative voices? And to amplify liberal progressive voices? No, it's not Ok.

revelarts
01-11-2021, 08:13 PM
:bow2: I for one admit my shortcomings and things I may have seen as more conspiracy theory material is now believable. And things about our govt. I trusted and was naive. There were easily times you brought things forward that were likely way more accurate than I gave credit for.

Well, Rev, I will be the first to admit that I thought you were taking things too far with regards to how far big tech would go. Honestly, it appears that the entire country has lost it's collective mind in the headlong rush to censorship and outright fascist behavior.

I don't even like using the word fascist due to millions of idiotic Americans ironically using it. It feels like Bizarro World.

At any rate, you were correct in predicting where this all was leading as I trusted that the ordinarily smart people running the show would pump the brakes, but that didn't happen.
Thanks, but I sincerely wish you guys had been right.

The way Americans still mainly receive their news is via television. And many still use regular broadcast channels. And some have moved over to cable television news. They trust the news to be accurate, just as the scores of last nights games and what the weather will be like today and tomorrow. The factual news we receive should be just as clear, but its not, not nearly.
And the internet isn't a ton different. Except enter social media and email & "internet service providers" which are needed for all of the above. And we watched while the news we were delivered was a TON of lies and censorship & basically positive advertising for the left while condemning only the right. Went on for 4 years but came out strongly in the past year and in an in your face manner.
Social media wasn't bad but seemingly grew worse as the 4 years went on, and then went into election mode in the past year as well. And oddly, it was as if they coordinated their plans at times. Many many things deleted, or didn't appear due to shadow banning, then the suspensions galore and we all know how the last year and then last week has went. *** And when folks seem to say, ok enough is enough, we'll leave and do our own thing, they try to blackball those efforts in every way possible. By not allowing in the open market system which is primarily needed to install apps on your devices. Then they hit the hosting providers & also email provider. What happens next and where things go to is unknown. :dunno:

It's pushed the boundaries of common sense. As now all that is needed is a growing group of people to simply send public twitter messages to the employees company to embarrass them out of a job. WAY way too many unnecessary firings and banning and censoring. Won't find much of an argument from me in here.

In reference to the big tech on the internet & MSM coordination and censorship - went from 50 to 1000 MPH in guinness record time. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Rev, appreciated. :)

Yes, they need to be broken up, I see that now, but that certainly won't have a chance of happening until 2022 at the earliest. Democrats certainly aren't going to punish their largest allies.
IMO they've got to be busted or controlled somehow.
I'm not sure how real push back can happen overall though, but i really don't trust either party to do much. it's gotta be some other way , i 've got no real clue how exactly but
stepping out of various spider-websites is one way, new outlets.
But big multinational corps of any kind have no real allegiance to the USA.
Block chain networks may be a real option though. i don't know enough to say one way or another.

but all sides left and right need to purge themselves of the extremist in their midst. (purge or reeducate)
If some idiot starts talking about "killing whitey and cops" & "destroying the system" or some dude is Waving a Nazi flags and sporting KKK and Nazi Tattos while supporting the favored Republican they need ejection from the ranks. If people are serious this crap can't be played down as "not us". There's no common ground if that type of thinking is allowed.
E Pluribus Unum

jimnyc
01-11-2021, 08:21 PM
Came across this article tonight. Lists some alternatives and what we have talked of already.

---

Sick Of Communist-Like Censorship? Here’s A List Of Popular Uncensored Media Options

From 100 Percent Fed Up – Survive The Purge: A List Of Popular Uncensored Alternative Media Options

With the current media purge of conservative, libertarian, independent, and non-establishment voices in high gear, we thought it would be beneficial to list some of the alternatives to each globalist media platform. This does not constitute official endorsements and this list is by no means exhaustive. So please do check back to this article for additional sources from time to time.

The great news is, there are many amazing options to stay connected to each other and to the news. They aren’t all as evolved as the multi-billion dollar corporations you are used to, but most are competent technically and already have many users. Also, you may find that some of the platforms provide better functionality than the legacy media you are leaving.

We believe this list is a good start to get the message out as rational free-thinking Americans on all sides of the aisle sever their ties to authoritarian anti-speech platforms. But, please leave your favorite additional media sources in the comments so others can stay connected.

TWITTER:

Gab

Parler: Parler is a Twitter clone run by free-speech advocates. Last night, Amazon removed Parler from its servers. They are now being sued by Parler who claims their decision to remove the free speech company from their servers was politically motivated. Dan Bongino, an investor in Parler, says it will be up again within a day on different servers.

Here’s a message from Parler CEO John Matze about how big tech bullies are trying to “squash” free speech alternatives.

https://i.imgur.com/a3F4mHa.png

FACEBOOK:

MeWe

Clouthub: It is owned by a conservative. According to its website, CloutHub is a non-biased platform. We support free speech and protect your privacy. We don’t data-mine, track, or sell user data. We don’t suppress your reach or manipulate what you get to see. We empower our members to influence the issues they care about.

FACEBOOK MESSENGER:

Telegram Messenger: Telegram offers end-to-end encryption of chats and a range of features beyond that of Facebook Messenger that foster community growth and large file uploads. However, it must be noted that some people believe it has connections to Russia. Also, Telegram’s best encryption is opt-in and not automatic, meaning you must specifically select ‘secret encrypted chat’ in order to get the most secure communication. It also has a desktop version to make texting easy from pc to phone.

Signal: Signal is highly recommended and is considered the safest texting app. In addition, it has some other functionality and seems to allow larger file transfers than normal texts. It also has a desktop version to make texting easy from pc to phone.

Discord: Is not especially encrypted, but offers communities and servers that are not part of Facebook. It also has a desktop version to make texting easy from pc to phone.

YOUTUBE:

Rumble

Vimeo

Bitchute

Brighteon

GOOGLE SEARCH:

Duck Duck Go: A search engine that does not seem to censor or manipulate search engine results like Google. Unlike Google, it also says it doesn’t store your data, as Google does. Try searching for political stories on DuckDuckGo vs. Google. You will see a difference in them, as well as non-political stories which are also manipulated by google.

WEB BROWSER:

Brave Browser: Brave boasts that it is “three times faster than Chrome. Better privacy by default than Firefox. Uses 35% less battery on mobile.” It also supports Tor browser on its desktop app, which helps protect you from the prying eyes of the sites you visit. Its Brave content community is funded via Basic Attention crypto tokens and opt-in ads. These tokens can be purchased on crypto exchanges or gained by choosing to view ads. This is what sustains the Brave business rather than harvesting and theft of all your user data. These tokens can also be given, if the user chooses, to content creators on websites they like. Unlike Google, Brave also says it doesn’t store any of your data.

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/01/sick-communist-like-censorship-list-popular-uncensored-media-options/

gabosaurus
01-11-2021, 09:46 PM
There are precedents to Big Tech being pushed aside by individuals. My favorite example is the music industry. When mergers led to many competing record companies being reduced to a few, it left a lot of small labels and artists without support. A few enterprising individuals started up their own labels, while other took care of distribution. When the internet began, everyone could distribute their own product. Large record companies are now only a shell of what they once were, with little power.

NightTrain
01-11-2021, 10:09 PM
Came across this article tonight. Lists some alternatives and what we have talked of already.

---

WEB BROWSER:

Brave Browser: Brave boasts that it is “three times faster than Chrome. Better privacy by default than Firefox. Uses 35% less battery on mobile.” It also supports Tor browser on its desktop app, which helps protect you from the prying eyes of the sites you visit. Its Brave content community is funded via Basic Attention crypto tokens and opt-in ads. These tokens can be purchased on crypto exchanges or gained by choosing to view ads. This is what sustains the Brave business rather than harvesting and theft of all your user data. These tokens can also be given, if the user chooses, to content creators on websites they like. Unlike Google, Brave also says it doesn’t store any of your data.

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/01/sick-communist-like-censorship-list-popular-uncensored-media-options/

I'm in Day 2 of testing the Brave browser for Android... and the claim that it's 3x faster isn't legit. It's about the same for speed as compared to Chrome, and I don't really have any way to test battery usage. That's not really a concern for me anyway.

I like the automatic ad blocker & anti-tracking features. They work well so far.

Tomorrow I'll try out Dissenter. I'm kind of partial to the little guy fighting Goliath anyway, and Gab / Dissenter certainly fits that bill.

NightTrain
01-11-2021, 11:03 PM
I take that back - Brave is considerably faster than Chrome. I don't know about 3x faster, but I'd agree with twice as fast.

Probably due to the automatic ad blocking, I'd wager.

revelarts
01-16-2021, 05:23 PM
I want to expand on my Comment earlier and
Post a few broad alternative in another post.

Seems to me there are couple of overarching options available.
the problem is they all require a certain amount of mass will, as consumers AND political citizens.
Some on the left want a gov't takeover of the massive platforms and see them as "public utilities" like the Post Office or Energy services which DO NOT discriminate.
Personally i'm not for that.
But I am 100% ANTI monopoly. And Anti it's evil twin, overt or covert corporate collusion/monopoly.
IMO the right makes an Idol out of "free enterprise" and doesn't see monopoly and corporate collusion as a problem that the civil gov't should come in and deal with.
At this point, I think we can all see that "competition" and the free market" DON'T always solve it's own problems via pure capitalism or "the market". And it NOT that easy to "just make a better one".
And if any one company or group of companies can control a function vital for life, at that point they can control WHO uses it or does not.
If someone controls all the Food Supply they control who EATS.

Capitalism is great, but at the same time it seems to me that conservatives and libertarians don't want to apply the axiom about "absolute power" when it comes to Capitalism. I've never been sure why not.

As far as answers go 1st of all there are no PERFECT systems or remedies.
But Decentralizing , Smaller companies competing across state and international lines. And none legally Allowed to get more than 25% - 45% of market share is one way i think could work.
Seems to me one of the best ways to deal with the MSSM (main stream social media) AND the MSM is by gov't break up of the monopolies. Maybe similar to what was done with MA BELL Telephone back in the day. (and It wasn't even BLOCKING PEOPLE PHONE CALLS) it was broken up into smaller companies.
At this point there may be actually 6 parent companies of the MSM.
and then 4 major Social media companies.
Plus at this point we have to talk about Internet banking and banking as well. Since banks have decide who can buy and sell via their companies. (while many of them dealt with Jeffery Epstein and knowingly launder drug money without a problem)
If they are going to play that game then they need busting up as well.

Either you're a service to everyone or you're limited to a certain amount of market share.

No company or group of companies should be able to regulate who can bank, who can communicate, who can travel, who can have energy, food and housing. Capitalism should not, by default of "success", give a small group of people control over others freedoms.
Capitalism should be a TOOL of freedom not a conceptual idol set above all other aspects of life.

Plus Decentralization is the basis of the benefits of capitalism. Decentralization was the basis for our federal gov'ts triune powers set-up.
Why? Because the founders understood from experience, history and yes Biblically that human beings can't be trusted with to much control. That with too much power seated in one place there's inevitably a reduction in freedom and often eventually tyranny.

So yeah, anyway ...
there's a lot of issues with the MSSM and internet compnies
Google and Amazon both are in bed with the federal gov't at this point as well. Plus are corporate donors to politicians.
Not to mention the internet surveillance problems
So yeah maybe this is the wake up call to deal with the internet/media in general.

Alternative "private" options are a start but it can't end there IMO.

SassyLady
01-16-2021, 07:01 PM
Not just media but banking as well. Payment processing companies (i.e., PayPal, square, Visa, etc.) are shutting down businesses they don't agree with.

Russ
01-16-2021, 09:42 PM

Seems to me there are couple of overarching options available.
the problem is they all require a certain amount of mass will, as consumers AND political citizens.
Some on the left want a gov't takeover of the massive platforms and see them as "public utilities" like the Post Office or Energy services which DO NOT discriminate.
Personally i'm not for that.
But I am 100% ANTI monopoly. And Anti it's evil twin, overt or covert corporate collusion/monopoly.
IMO the right makes an Idol out of "free enterprise" and doesn't see monopoly and corporate collusion as a problem that the civil gov't should come in and deal with.
At this point, I think we can all see that "competition" and the free market" DON'T always solve it's own problems via pure capitalism or "the market". And it NOT that easy to "just make a better one".
And if any one company or group of companies can control a function vital for life, at that point they can control WHO uses it or does not.
If someone controls all the Food Supply they control who EATS.

Capitalism is great, but at the same time it seems to me that conservatives and libertarians don't want to apply the axiom about "absolute power" when it comes to Capitalism. I've never been sure why not.

As far as answers go 1st of all there are no PERFECT systems or remedies.
But Decentralizing , Smaller companies competing across state and international lines. And none legally Allowed to get more than 25% - 45% of market share is one way i think could work.
Seems to me one of the best ways to deal with the MSSM (main stream social media) AND the MSM is by gov't break up of the monopolies. Maybe similar to what was done with MA BELL Telephone back in the day. (and It wasn't even BLOCKING PEOPLE PHONE CALLS) it was broken up into smaller companies.
At this point there may be actually 6 parent companies of the MSM.
and then 4 major Social media companies.
Plus at this point we have to talk about Internet banking and banking as well. Since banks have decide who can buy and sell via their companies. (while many of them dealt with Jeffery Epstein and knowingly launder drug money without a problem)
If they are going to play that game then they need busting up as well.

Either you're a service to everyone or you're limited to a certain amount of market share.

No company or group of companies should be able to regulate who can bank, who can communicate, who can travel, who can have energy, food and housing. Capitalism should not, by default of "success", give a small group of people control over others freedoms.
Capitalism should be a TOOL of freedom not a conceptual idol set above all other aspects of life.

Plus Decentralization is the basis of the benefits of capitalism. Decentralization was the basis for our federal gov'ts triune powers set-up.
Why? Because the founders understood from experience, history and yes Biblically that human beings can't be trusted with to much control. That with too much power seated in one place there's inevitably a reduction in freedom and often eventually tyranny.

So yeah, anyway ...
there's a lot of issues with the MSSM and internet compnies
Google and Amazon both are in bed with the federal gov't at this point as well. Plus are corporate donors to politicians.
Not to mention the internet surveillance problems
So yeah maybe this is the wake up call to deal with the internet/media in general.

Rev, I loathe government control of private companies, but I think Twitter, Facebook and Amazon have stepped so far over the line with the recent attacks on free speech and policitally-motivated censorship that I'm actually starting to think that way.

Two options. Either trustbust these companies into separate, smaller companies, or else declare them utilities and have them regulated.
Maybe a third option is just to make it easy for anyone to sue these companies, and also list the CEO's as individual defendants. That might change their behavior.

Clearly, though, we can't let these companies act the way they are acting. It is 1984 in real life. The attacks on anyone who donated 5 bucks to a Republican candidate once or wore a MAGA hat once is another thing - next thing that will happen is AOC and Pelosi demanding that all Republicans wear yellow stars pinned to their shirts.

Abbey Marie
01-16-2021, 09:43 PM

I’ve been using Brave on my iPhone for a couple of years. It works with DP better than the others.

Abbey Marie
01-16-2021, 09:44 PM
Thank you, revelarts for your prayers. It means a lot.

fj1200
01-16-2021, 10:22 PM

I think I take issue with a couple of your premises. While capitalism and free markets are great you seem to assume that we actually have the basic requirements; low barriers to entry, minimal government, equilibrium, perfect competition, etc. We don't really have all of those things. Don't say that capitalism is the problem when it's capitalism that brought us to where we are. I think it was a Stossel report, or Reason, or Cato that stated the problem with capitalism is capitalists. The basic argument is that you might have a large company that once it gets into a position of power then it becomes a fan of regulation. Regulation that of course has the goal of limiting competition for those already at the top. "Absolute power" is not an axiom that conservatives or libertarians would accept IMO; I wouldn't because I think capitalism is a check on itself, true capitalism with true competition that is.

Ma Bell actually was a monopoly at the time, none of the tech companies actually are. If you want to talk about remedies, true ones I think, you need to figure out why a monopoly or collusion exists as in which free market tenet is missing. All this is of course whistling in the wind given the current situation we find ourselves in but I think we need to be wary of declaring that we need government action to fix what ails us. I would think that most of us here think we have plenty of laws already on the books and I have zero expectation that any new law in the next couple of years is going to fix anything positively.

I guess my point is that let's not rush to headlong into a government solution because of unintended consequences and all. And remember, breaking up Ma Bell only resulted in separate local monopolies and only injected competition into the long distance market. Real local competition didn't show up until technology brought it to us.

SassyLady
01-17-2021, 12:04 PM
I think I take issue with a couple of your premises. While capitalism and free markets are great you seem to assume that we actually have the basic requirements; low barriers to entry, minimal government, equilibrium, perfect competition, etc. We don't really have all of those things. Don't say that capitalism is the problem when it's capitalism that brought us to where we are. I think it was a Stossel report, or Reason, or Cato that stated the problem with capitalism is capitalists. The basic argument is that you might have a large company that once it gets into a position of power then it becomes a fan of regulation. Regulation that of course has the goal of limiting competition for those already at the top. "Absolute power" is not an axiom that conservatives or libertarians would accept IMO; I wouldn't because I think capitalism is a check on itself, true capitalism with true competition that is.

Ma Bell actually was a monopoly at the time, none of the tech companies actually are. If you want to talk about remedies, true ones I think, you need to figure out why a monopoly or collusion exists as in which free market tenet is missing. All this is of course whistling in the wind given the current situation we find ourselves in but I think we need to be wary of declaring that we need government action to fix what ails us. I would think that most of us here think we have plenty of laws already on the books and I have zero expectation that any new law in the next couple of years is going to fix anything positively.

I guess my point is that let's not rush to headlong into a government solution because of unintended consequences and all. And remember, breaking up Ma Bell only resulted in separate local monopolies and only injected competition into the long distance market. Real local competition didn't show up until technology brought it to us.

Politicians being bought. Lobbying should be outlawed. Donations by organizations outlawed. That might mean more laws. Of course it's harder to legislate corruption.

fj1200
01-17-2021, 12:11 PM
Politicians being bought. Lobbying should be outlawed. Donations by organizations outlawed. That might mean more laws. Of course it's harder to legislate corruption.

Lobbying is constitutional. Donations as speech is constitutional (see Citizens United). Remove the power of government and you remove the necessity of lobbying.

revelarts
01-17-2021, 02:09 PM

Hey FJ!
Ok look
I think a bit of what i mentioned you're displaying here, an idolization of "Capitalism".
saying "if practiced properly" it will correct any problems.
Sorry, I don't agree for 2 main reasons.
1st there's no check on monopoly built into the system. NONE. the only self check is competition. but if a company(s) (with or without go'vt protection/assistance) buys all the land and hold the means of production of a market sector there's NOTHING to break it except a completely new innovation outside of the ownership of the monopoly that replaces/makes obsolete the product or service.
like the cars replacing horses. Other than that the Company town situation cannot be overcome. Where the company owns everything of real value. The Rich get richer under pure or impure capitalism.
(You've seen 'it's a wonderful life' right? "Pottersville" anyone? Jonnhy cash song '16 tons' "I owe my soul to the company store"?)

2nd You mention the problem with capitalism is Capitalist. YES. Exactly, Human beings. look morally Capitalism only ASSUMES some measure of moral fairness and assumes private property rights and Assumes gov't will protect those rights. After those moral assumptions, it then assumes/acknowledges the darker natural nature of people to do what's in their best interest. PERIOD. full stop.
There's NO moral check on any Capitalist NOT to try to control a market(s) and control it's customers views or lives on any matter. The MORE success/power/influence/control a corporation has, doesn't grant the owners any REASON ,born of capitalism, NOT to use it in anyway they choose.

Mom and Pop Shops, Sweat Shops, Slavery, 9orn Sites and banning customers from all public communications ALL live well within CAPITALISM'S house. With or without gov't input/influence.

Again that's NOT to say the CAPITALISM is evil by default. Just that it's NOT enough. There's NO perfect system, becasue people aren't perfect.
But the Gov't can be an IMPERFECT check on a Decent and effective but imperfect CAPITALISM.

Like i said seems to me decentralize, multiple Capitalist options is THE BEST. That's where all the benefits really live for the most people.
But seems clear to me from history that at some point Capitalism breaks when things get to centralized. Which is what often happens.

Agreed, Corporate Lobbying should be outlawed. corporations are NOT people or Citizens. But easier said than done. needs BI-PARTISAN grassroots pressure.

Lobbying is constitutional. Donations as speech is constitutional (see Citizens United). Remove the power of government and you remove the necessity of lobbying.
Sure A lot of the power of Gov't should be "removed" but what FJ? You may be more libertarian than most conservatives. But the Mitt Romneys, Donald Trumps and DCheeney types LOVE big Gov't, Love lockheed Martin and Wall street style influence and connection. They are not purist when it comes to capitalist ideals. most conservatives are not purist on ANY ideals. And many will vote for wall st establishment capitalist. (Because we're told the alternative is 100% USSR style socialism!)
So, Yes the gov't can and does muddy the waters even more sometimes. At times working WITH/FOR the behemoths, sometimes stiffing competition hard.
there's plenty of examples of that in nearly every industry.
But most rank and file conservatives don't fight that either becasue we've been told that we're "fighting" (the IDOL of) capitalism. And we should all expect the bennies to "tickle down" form the hands of the Big Biz. Trust "capitalism".

Sorry, i don't buy it and more people see the problems today than ever.
Capitalism, limited by honest gov't AND personal morals is Great. Capitalism as an idol is bs.

fj1200
01-17-2021, 02:25 PM
Hey FJ!
Ok look
I think a bit of what i mentioned you're displaying here, an idolization of "Capitalism".
saying "if practiced properly" it will correct any problems.
Sorry, I don't agree for 2 main reasons.
1st there's no check on monopoly built into the system. NONE. the only self check is competition. but if a company(s) (with or without go'vt protection/assistance) buys all the land and hold the means of production of a market sector there's NOTHING to break it except a completely new innovation outside of the ownership of the monopoly that replaces/makes obsolete the product or service.
like the cars replacing horses. Other than that the Company town situation cannot be overcome. Where the company owns everything of real value. The Rich get richer under pure capitalism.
(You've seen 'it's a wonderful life' right? "Pottersville" anyone? Jonnhy cash song '16 tons' "I owe my soul to the company store"?)

2nd You mention the problem with capitalism is Capitalist. YES. Exactly, Human beings. look morally Capitalism only ASSUMES some measure of moral fairness and assumes private property rights and Assumes gov't will protect those rights. After those moral assumptions, it then assumes/acknowledges the darker natural nature of people to do what's in their best interest. PERIOD. full stop.
There's NO moral check on any Capitalist NOT to try to control a market(s) and control it's customers views or lives on any matter. The MORE success/power/influence/control a corporation has, doesn't grant the owners any REASON ,born of capitalism, NOT to use it in anyway they choose.

Mom and Pop Shops, Sweat Shops, Slavery and banning customers from all public communications ALL live well within CAPITALISM'S house. With or without gov't input/influence.

Again that's NOT to say the CAPITALISM is evil by default. Just that it's NOT enough. There's NO perfect system, becasue people aren't perfect.
But the Gov't can be an IMPERFECT check on a Decent and effective but imperfect CAPITALISM.

Like i said seems to me decentralize, multiple Capitalist options is THE BEST. That's where all the benefits really live for the most people.
But seems clear to me from history that at some point Capitalism breaks when things get to centralized. Which is what often happens.

I'll be careful; I don't want to idolize false images. ;) I have to disagree with you. Self check is a check built into the system. I'm sure we can get together and agree on all the scenarios where it seems like the system breaks down but we'll probably identify 9 in 10 that have some sort of governmental interference causing a lack of competition or an advantage given to one side or the other. I was listening to a Friedman speech earlier where he said when government is 10% of gross spending then the harm of government intervention is fairly limited while when it's 40% then we can probably agree that we've swung to far.

But my point is not that capitalists are what's wrong with capitalism it's those who pass laws and regulations who allow the capitalists to be the problem. I've also not seen many examples where capitalism "breaks," it's just a matter of people who convince elected officials that it's broken and demand changes based on their POV.

Agreed, Corporate Lobbying should be outlawed. corporations are NOT people or Citizens. But easier said than done. needs BI-PARTISAN grassroots pressure.

Corporations are made up of citizens and are subject to government regulation.

Sure A lot of the power of Gov't should be "removed" but what FJ? You may be more libertarian than most conservatives. But the Mitt Romneys, Donald Trumps and DCheeney types LOVE big Gov't, Love lockheed Martin and Wall street style influence and connection. They are not purist when it comes to capitalist ideals. most conservatives are not purist on ANY ideals. And many will vote for wall st establishment capitalist. (Because we're told the alternative is 100% USSR style socialism!)
So, Yes the gov't can and does muddy the waters even more sometimes. At times working WITH/FOR the behemoths, sometimes stiffing competition hard.
there's plenty of examples of that in nearly every industry.
But most rank and file conservatives don't fight that either becasue we've been told that we're "fighting" (the IDOL of) capitalism. And we should all expect the bennies to "tickle down" form the hands of the Big Biz. Trust "capitalism".

Sorry, i don't buy it and more people see the problems today than ever.
Capitalism, limited by honest gov't AND personal morals is Great. Capitalism as an idol is bs.

My main beef with the Republican party these past 4 years has been what I'd considered to be small-government, constitution applying folks that have turned out to be nothing of the sort. They're all for big government as long as it's there big government. But if I'm going to trust something it's going to be the thing that is closer to capitalism than is farther from capitalism.

I just think you're wrong about who you think buys the capitalism as idol argument.

revelarts
01-17-2021, 02:30 PM
I'll be careful; I don't want to idolize false images. ;) I have to disagree with you. Self check is a check built into the system. I'm sure we can get together and agree on all the scenarios where it seems like the system breaks down but we'll probably identify 9 in 10 that have some sort of governmental interference causing a lack of competition or an advantage given to one side or the other. I was listening to a Friedman speech earlier where he said when government is 10% of gross spending then the harm of government intervention is fairly limited while when it's 40% then we can probably agree that we've swung to far.

But my point is not that capitalists are what's wrong with capitalism it's those who pass laws and regulations who allow the capitalists to be the problem. I've also not seen many examples where capitalism "breaks," it's just a matter of people who convince elected officials that it's broken and demand changes based on their POV.

My main beef with the Republican party these past 4 years has been what I'd considered to be small-government, constitution applying folks that have turned out to be nothing of the sort. They're all for big government as long as it's there big government. But if I'm going to trust something it's going to be the thing that is closer to capitalism than is farther from capitalism.

I just think you're wrong about who you think buys the capitalism as idol argument.

Ah well, No perfect solutions, I just hope the country can move forward.

fj1200
01-17-2021, 02:32 PM
Ah well, No perfect solutions, I just hope the country can move forward.

True, true. I predict a "solution." I further predict it will be far from perfect.

Kathianne
01-17-2021, 03:39 PM

Agreed. It's a trend that hit full throttle with 9/11 and has shown no sign of stopping. All this 'free money' without any need to have been financially impacted by covid. I do not take the covid money, it's my own little boycott of stupidity, (though it could be argued I'm the stupid one.) My kids have all received hefty raises during this period, one fully working from home, 1 going in twice a month for checking with workers there. Their covid money used for cars/daycare costs. There's folks with a whole lot more, complaining that their checks haven't arrived yet-sounds like the old days of welfare.

revelarts
01-17-2021, 04:03 PM
True, true. I predict a "solution." I further predict it will be far from perfect.

one last i question i have for you though.
It's question that's usually asked of hard core socialist about real socialism?

Can you show me some nation , current or in history, where real Capitalism has been practiced and did all the self correcting promised?

Where there was no gov't intervention, no robber barons, child labor and sweat shops etc?

fj1200
01-17-2021, 04:53 PM
Agreed. It's a trend that hit full throttle with 9/11 and has shown no sign of stopping. All this 'free money' without any need to have been financially impacted by covid. I do not take the covid money, it's my own little boycott of stupidity, (though it could be argued I'm the stupid one.) My kids have all received hefty raises during this period, one fully working from home, 1 going in twice a month for checking with workers there. Their covid money used for cars/daycare costs. There's folks with a whole lot more, complaining that their checks haven't arrived yet-sounds like the old days of welfare.

It is ridiculous. I can't say we took the money, they just sent it to us and it's sitting in our accounts. My wife works has had zero work interruptions and I've been working without interruptions so we have no need for the money. Most of the people I know do not need the money but when the argument is "get the money out there" by direct check, PPP, extra unemployment, etc. There's no rational thought behind it. Frustrating.

fj1200
01-17-2021, 05:24 PM
one last i question i have for you though.
It's question that's usually asked of hard core socialist about real socialism?

Can you show me some nation , current or in history, where real Capitalism has been practiced and did all the self correcting promised?

Where there was no gov't intervention, no robber barons, child labor and sweat shops etc?

I'm not sure I can give you a satisfactory answer but capitalism is practiced all over. More economic liberty leads to better overall outcomes, that is my overall point; I know that less liberty leads to worse outcomes. There are restrictions put in place all the time and in some of those cases it's necessary. Society can decide that child labor and sweat shops are not how they want things to be and can put in place laws or regulations to restrict those cases. If there are real imbalances in economic power then there will be laws.

I don't have a problem with "robber barons" who came by their wealth honestly. Those who named them robber barons wanted to limit their power or create laws and regulations where they could get their own wealth; dishonestly. I recall a good article I posted about robber barons a long time ago. "bring back the robber barons" IIRC.

SassyLady
01-17-2021, 11:28 PM
It is ridiculous. I can't say we took the money, they just sent it to us and it's sitting in our accounts. My wife works has had zero work interruptions and I've been working without interruptions so we have no need for the money. Most of the people I know do not need the money but when the argument is "get the money out there" by direct check, PPP, extra unemployment, etc. There's no rational thought behind it. Frustrating.

I am retired. My income has not changed. I sent the money back to IRS as a quarterly estimated tax payment.

revelarts
01-18-2021, 10:11 PM
I don't personally have much experience with any of them except Lbry and Godtube but here ya go

VIDEO alternatives
https://lbry.tv/
https://rokfin.com/
https://www.godtube.com/
https://www.bitchute.com/faq
(https://www.bitchute.com/faq)https://rumble.com/
https://ise.media/
joinpeertube.org
DTUBE
https://www.dailymotion.com/us

SOCIAL MEDIA alternatives
https://flote.app/
https://telegram.org/ Steemit
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steemit)https://www.minds.com/
https://hive.blog/
https://bruuunch.com/

Sometime ago I heard Jordan Peterson was working on an alternative platform of some kind as well as he began to see the overt censorship against him and others.
Not sure how far that's gotten

https://itsfoss.com/mainstream-social-media-alternaives/

Abbey Marie
01-19-2021, 12:14 PM

Power vacuums are readily and easily filled.

Abbey Marie
01-19-2021, 12:20 PM

We need the money to buy items to dull the pain of the crapfest that is the current political and media situation.

fj1200
01-19-2021, 03:33 PM
Power vacuums are readily and easily filled.

On the one hand I'm for removing the vacuum by removing government interference. On the other hand I'm all for lobbying if the government interference is not removed/lessened. Similarly I'm not for term limits; if people need to leave as a matter of their term being up then it increases the power of lobbyists or other entrenched actors.

fj1200
01-19-2021, 03:34 PM
We need the money to buy items to dull the pain of the crapfest that is the current political and media situation.

I do have my eye on a new motorcycle. :thinking5:

Russ
01-22-2021, 08:04 PM
I'm not for term limits; if people need to leave as a matter of their term being up then it increases the power of lobbyists or other entrenched actors.

Hmm, interesting point. Not sure I agree, but it's worth a definite 'maybe'.

fj1200
01-23-2021, 04:07 PM
Hmm, interesting point. Not sure I agree, but it's worth a definite 'maybe'.

As I heard recently power vacuums are readily and easily filled. ;)

icansayit
01-23-2021, 05:11 PM

Just like the demands to withdraw from Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria. Then...guess who filled the vacuum?

And we can't forget.....http://icansayit.com/images/cutrun.jpg

Abbey Marie
01-24-2021, 02:38 PM

Glad I could help. ;)

revelarts
07-24-2021, 08:16 AM
Another alternative to Big tech tool
a SEARCH ENGINE that actually seems to work like most search engines used to work.
Not feeding you corporate/selected crap 1st but the anything relevant ... and nearly everything else.

millionshort.com
https://www.millionshort.com

Gunny
07-24-2021, 07:11 PM
Alternative to Big Tech?

#2 pencil

spoken word

icansayit
07-24-2021, 08:43 PM
Alternative to Big Tech?

#2 pencil

spoken word

Until I thought about it. You reminded me of something very important with your Honest alternative. No joke. When you really think about it.

Facing the enemies we know we have, and having NO LEADER in the White House, or Congress to protect us the way the Constitution States.
As an old Radioman/Signalman/Crypto Tech for the Navy. I have often considered how important people like You, and I would be to this country TODAY if....China or Russia took out ALL OF OUR Communication Satty's with their BIG TECH (from Google, Facebook, etc; capabilities.

Made me think....WHAT WOULD WE DO? If we lost all Satellite coms, and GPS overnight?
Much like the threat of losing our Entire POWER GRID...that really is possible today with ONE well placed NUKE BURST overhead by an enemy.
I still do have the capabilities of CRYPTO, MORSE, High Frequency Comms, and even the silent FLAGS and SEMAPHORE comms.
TRUTH IS...IF we would lose our HIGH TECH toys today. "WE'D LITERALLY BE UP SHEETS CREEK!"

Gunny
07-24-2021, 09:08 PM
Until I thought about it. You reminded me of something very important with your Honest alternative. No joke. When you really think about it.

Facing the enemies we know we have, and having NO LEADER in the White House, or Congress to protect us the way the Constitution States.
As an old Radioman/Signalman/Crypto Tech for the Navy. I have often considered how important people like You, and I would be to this country TODAY if....China or Russia took out ALL OF OUR Communication Satty's with their BIG TECH (from Google, Facebook, etc; capabilities.

Made me think....WHAT WOULD WE DO? If we lost all Satellite coms, and GPS overnight?
Much like the threat of losing our Entire POWER GRID...that really is possible today with ONE well placed NUKE BURST overhead by an enemy.
I still do have the capabilities of CRYPTO, MORSE, High Frequency Comms, and even the silent FLAGS and SEMAPHORE comms.
TRUTH IS...IF we would lose our HIGH TECH toys today. "WE'D LITERALLY BE UP SHEETS CREEK!"I've thought of it. More than once. Could be wrong, but if *I* was going to attack the good ol' US of A, Comm and electrical grid.

I've got a compass, maps, pencils and I know how to shoot an azimuth. Don't have any carrier pigeons though :)

Gunny
07-24-2021, 09:54 PM
icansayit Never get me thinking on something :laugh:

Short wave operators with generators. CB's. Low stuff. I have this idea all this hi-tech crap will take out high tech crap.

Ships should still be able to use Morse, correct? That is if their CRT training hasn't gotten in the way:rolleyes:

We'd be back to running comm wire :)

icansayit
07-25-2021, 01:01 AM
icansayit Never get me thinking on something :laugh:

Short wave operators with generators. CB's. Low stuff. I have this idea all this hi-tech crap will take out high tech crap.

Ships should still be able to use Morse, correct? That is if their CRT training hasn't gotten in the way:rolleyes:

We'd be back to running comm wire :)

When the going gets tough...YOU GUYS WITH THOSE GREEN RADIO's still had comms!

Don't forget. MORSE is also a Signalman's delight....FLASHING LIGHT, even Hand Held Aldis Lamps were used.
Of course, we could go back to CARRIER PIGEONS if things GET REALLY BAD!!!:beer::beer::beer:

revelarts
11-18-2021, 11:45 AM
FYI
Find youtube video that have been censored.
put the same youtube address behind...

https://altcensored.com

revelarts
11-28-2021, 03:23 PM
https://superu.net

Alt video channel "free speech"

revelarts
02-02-2022, 09:14 AM
https://sovren.media

Mainly reports from "Ben Swan" a former city tv reporter who crossed the lined to often and got fired from tv gig and (if memory serves) also banned from youtube (along with so many others).
I think his initial crime was reporting about the details of 'pizzagate' in the wrong way.
(The Last American Vagabond is on there as well)

here's a video they posted about all the Athletes falling dead or sick from heart failure on the field ...from... steroids?

https://www.sovren.media/video/dozens-of-pro-athletes-suddenly-experiencing-cardiac-arrest-290.html
https://sovren.media/video/compilation-of-athletes-suffering-cardiac-arrest-288.html