View Full Version : A Third Perspective

Kathianne
01-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Neither here nor there:

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the-great-unraveling

The Great Unraveling
The old order is dead. What comes next?

Bari Weiss

https://cdn.substack.com/image/fetch/w_1456,c_limit,f_auto,q_auto:good,fl_progressive:s teep/https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F b8df1160-b622-4c5d-97be-0280a46b402c_6600x4400.jpeg

Thought comes before action. Words come before deeds. Media that profits from polarization will stoke it. Lies — maybe harmless for the moment, maybe even noble — create a lying world.

I’ve known this for a while. It’s why I left The New York Times. And it is why, as much as I miss doing journalism, I’ve been cautious at every next step.

Hate sells, as the journalist Matt Taibbi has convincingly argued, and as anyone looking at Twitter trending topics over the past few years can see. If Americans are buying rage, is there a real market for something that resists it?

Hate sells and hate also connects. Communities can grow quite strong around hatred of difference, and that’s exactly what’s happened to the American left and the right. It is painful to resist joining a mob when that mob includes most of your friends. It feels good, at least in the short term, to give in.

So part of my hesitation about what comes next is that I have been unsure about who will have the strength to stand apart from the various tribes that can give their members such pleasure of belonging. It is hard to know how to build things that are immune to these dangerous forces when the number of the people who are — or appear to me — immune to it is so very small.

Perhaps a psychologist can explain what makes these people resistant. Is it personality type? Is it principle? Is it rootedness in a real community with real people who you love and who love you and who you trust when they call you out on your bullshit?

I don’t know the answer. But I know that you have to be sort of strange to stand apart and refuse to join Team Red or Team Blue. These strange ones are the ones who think that political violence is wrong, that mob justice is never just and the presumption of innocence is always right. These are the ones who are skeptical of state and corporate power, even when it is clamping down on people they despise. The ones who still hold fast to the old ideas enshrined in our constitution.

I am lucky to know more than most. A good number of them are people who I once regarded as my ideological enemies. Or rather: they are people who I still regard as my opponents on any number of issues that are extremely important to me, but who see clearly that the fight of the moment, the fight that allows for us to have those disagreements in the first place, is the fight for liberalism.

One of those people is Robby George.

Robby is among the most important Catholic intellectuals of our era. He is a Princeton professor, a lover of great wine, a wonderful writer, a total gentleman, and one of the most articulate opponents of gay marriage in the country.

Now is a good time to say that as soon as the pandemic ends I plan to invite all of my friends to an inappropriately large wedding where I will stand under a chuppah and marry a woman (Nellie Bowles, the love of my life). I am profoundly grateful that we have that right. And I’m grateful for all of those, including my friend Andrew Sullivan, who waged the battle to win it.

Robby might not want to go to a gay wedding. But I love that at least for now I still live in an America where he and I can sit together, over good food on a dark night in the middle of a pandemic and talk about what is broken and how we might join together to fix it. That act is the whole point of the American experiment.

LongTermGuy
01-13-2021, 09:25 AM
https://tackletrade02468-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Aristotle.jpg

"Does it make sense to speak about people as motivated by hate against a group or class of other people, because they don’t support social,
political, or institutional changes that group desires, regards as overdue rectification granting them rights?

**Can one be said to hate a person or a class of people simply for not making a deliberate effort to become involved with them?

Is poking fun at a person, or making a tasteless joke about a class of people, a sign of hatred? "

Kathianne
01-13-2021, 09:50 AM
Actually what was in the reply has nothing to do with the article or its tenents. Red herrings to justify what has been going on for years.

As for any of his questions, the answers are simple, all of us have the ability to exercise our rights of free assembly, speech, etc., at least until recently. All those action though are, as always, are not without consequences depending how they are exercised.

Pertains to all, not just self-proclaimed 'patriots.'