PDA

View Full Version : If True, This Seems Concerning

Kathianne
01-21-2021, 09:55 AM
One of the most concerning trends in MSM print media is ghosting stories as if they never were. An editorial note of removal in "corrections " is all that would be required for integrity.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/one-america-news-quietly-deletes-dominion-stories-from-website-report/

Abbey Marie
01-21-2021, 01:16 PM
This seems to be all about TV networks, and more importantly appears to me to be focused on the kind of redactions you make when you are about to be sued for libel. What did I miss?

Kathianne
01-21-2021, 02:11 PM
This seems to be all about TV networks, and more importantly appears to me to be focused on the kind of redactions you make when you are about to be sued for libel. What did I miss?

It wasn't about their tv reports, but their written reports on website. I have been very concerned about NYT and others deleting stories-in whole or part, with no mention in 'editorial corrections.' Talk about 1984. I just didn't expect that from sources that are trying to attract viewers/readers looking for trustworthy outlets.

Other guys doing it doesn't sail.

They certainly could have deleted for legal protections, stating they did so wouldn't have removed the protections, instead could have confirmed the pressure being applied.

jimnyc
01-21-2021, 02:34 PM
Even a separate page with a small note of retraction won't help with the integrity factor, IMO. That should be a factor going into posting the news to begin with - is to not post things based on information that may not pan out, and post it as factual. Removal or not, if/when it turns out to be wrong, they are wrong.

And I don't think news should be deleted on the internet. It makes zero sense as everyone should know by now, nothing is ever truly gone on the internet from the second you make it live. There's always a copy that can be retrieved. So deleting and the originals easily accessible - you would only achieve very little. I don't like it, notation or not.

jimnyc
01-21-2021, 02:36 PM
It wasn't about their tv reports, but their written reports on website. I have been very concerned about NYT and others deleting stories-in whole or part, with no mention in 'editorial corrections.' Talk about 1984. I just didn't expect that from sources that are trying to attract viewers/readers looking for trustworthy outlets.

Other guys doing it doesn't sail.

They certainly could have deleted for legal protections, stating they did so wouldn't have removed the protections, instead could have confirmed the pressure being applied.

I agree about others doing so, but it is the truth and done so on a massive scale, and always busted on a massive scale as it's always there. Some will post a retraction on the actual URL. Some will have a separate page of retractions which makes it harder, and many just delete. All wrong IMO. What I hate about the media - dishonesty.

Kathianne
01-21-2021, 07:33 PM
I agree about others doing so, but it is the truth and done so on a massive scale, and always busted on a massive scale as it's always there. Some will post a retraction on the actual URL. Some will have a separate page of retractions which makes it harder, and many just delete. All wrong IMO. What I hate about the media - dishonesty.
I hear where you're coming from. I also hear Abbey's point about Dominion lawsuit. Contrary to common knowledge, seems there's a very good chance that the accusations on the flaws with the machines cannot be proven. If so and one continues to write or report the unproven, one could quickly find themselves bankrupt. None of which stops one from reporting a removal, for legal reasons.

icansayit
01-21-2021, 08:00 PM
Until I realized they may just be helping with the Indictments, charges, and a future Grand Jury by REMAINING SILENT...as in removing all about Dominion until all of the proper invesigations have taken place...Legally.

Who knows? There's a possibility that a Judge has placed a GAG OREDER on all of the documents in reference to the case...to prevent destroying a possible GUILTY decision.
Just my own opinion here. But I am learning, almost daily by reading Justice & Law accounts on my own. It has become more of a hobby...but very informative as Reading will always be my best source of information.

Kathianne
01-22-2021, 01:07 PM
Related, by the other tribe: https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2021/01/22/wapo-erases-unflattering-anecdote-harris-18-month-old-story/

jimnyc
01-22-2021, 03:54 PM
They make it sound like the links and/or both statements being there was the case all along. Nope. They tried to delete it all along, and then un-deleted when they were busted. As I said, they don't disappear.

Just more dishonesty that doesn't surprise me.

---

WaPo Edits Out Kamala Harris Joke About Prison Inmates Begging For Water

The Washington Post said Friday that it “repurposed and updated” a story containing joking comments made by Vice President Kamala Harris about prison inmates.

WaPo’s 2019 Harris campaign trail feature formerly contained comments wherein Harris compared her life on the campaign trail to the trials of prison inmates.

She dwelt with particular emphasis on how nice it was for her to “actually” sleep in and relax when she stayed in Miami before one of the presidential debates.

Reason first published the excerpt that WaPo removed.

It was the Fourth of July, Independence Day, and Kamala Harris was explaining to her sister, Maya, that campaigns are like prisons.

She’d been recounting how in the days before the Democratic debate in Miami life had actually slowed down to a manageable pace. Kamala, Maya and the rest of the team had spent three days prepping for that contest in a beach-facing hotel suite, where they closed the curtains to blot out the fun. But for all the hours of studying policy and practicing the zingers that would supercharge her candidacy, the trip allowed for a break in an otherwise all-encompassing schedule.

“I actually got sleep,” Kamala said, sitting in a Hilton conference room, beside her sister, and smiling as she recalled walks on the beach with her husband and that one morning SoulCycle class she was able to take.

“That kind of stuff,” Kamala said between sips of iced tea, “which was about bringing a little normal to the days, that was a treat for me.”

“I mean, in some ways it was a treat,” Maya said. “But not really.”

“It’s a treat that a prisoner gets when they ask for, ‘A morsel of food please,’ ” Kamala said shoving her hands forward as if clutching a metal plate, her voice now trembling like an old British man locked in a Dickensian jail cell. “‘And water! I just want wahtahhh….’Your standards really go out the f—ing window.”

Kamala burst into laughter.

WaPo’s VP of Communications Kristine Coratti Kelly told the Daily Caller News Foundation in a Friday statement that the publication “repurposed and updated” the Harris story “as part of our Transfer of Power coverage and special sections produced on Biden and Harris.”

Kelly said that WaPo “should have kept both versions of the story on The Post’s site (the original and updated one), rather than redirecting to the updated version.”

“We have now done that, and you will see the link to the original at the top of the updated version,” she told the DCNF.

WaPo originally added a line noting that “this story has been updated from an earlier published version.” Following Reason’s story, the publication added a link to the earlier version of the piece.

https://i.imgur.com/RZrzzOR.png

https://dailycaller.com/2021/01/22/washington-post-kamala-harris-prison-inmates-edited/

The Washington Post Tried To Memory-Hole Kamala Harris' Bad Joke About Inmates Begging for Food and Water

At a time when legacy publications are increasingly seen as playing for one political "team" or the other, this type of editorial decision will not do anything to fix that perception.

UPDATE: As of 1:15 p.m. on January 22, The Washington Post has updated its website and URLs to restore the original version of the Kamala Harris profile detailed in Reason's post, below.

"We should have kept both versions of the story on the Post's site (the original and updated one), rather than redirecting to the updated version," Kris Coratti, the Post's vice president for communications, told Reason in a statement on Friday. "We have now done that, and you will see the link to the original at the top of the updated version."

Reason has updated the headline of this story to reflect those changes. The rest of the story remains unaltered.

When The Washington Post published a 2019 campaign trail feature about then-presidential hopeful Kamala Harris' close relationship with her sister, it opened with a memorable anecdote in which Harris bizarrely compared the rigors of the campaign trail to…life behind bars.

And then proceeded to laugh—at the idea of an inmate begging for a sip of water.

It was an extremely cringeworthy moment, even by the high standards set by Harris' failed presidential campaign. But now that Harris is vice president, that awful moment has seemingly vanished from the Post's website after the paper "updated" the piece earlier this month.

Here's how the first seven paragraphs of that article, published by the Post on July 23, 2019, and bylined by features reporter Ben Terris, originally appeared:

It was the Fourth of July, Independence Day, and Kamala Harris was explaining to her sister, Maya, that campaigns are like prisons.

She'd been recounting how in the days before the Democratic debate in Miami life had actually slowed down to a manageable pace. Kamala, Maya and the rest of the team had spent three days prepping for that contest in a beach-facing hotel suite, where they closed the curtains to blot out the fun. But for all the hours of studying policy and practicing the zingers that would supercharge her candidacy, the trip allowed for a break in an otherwise all-encompassing schedule.

"I actually got sleep," Kamala said, sitting in a Hilton conference room, beside her sister, and smiling as she recalled walks on the beach with her husband and that one morning SoulCycle class she was able to take.

"That kind of stuff," Kamala said between sips of iced tea, "which was about bringing a little normal to the days, that was a treat for me."

"I mean, in some ways it was a treat," Maya said. "But not really."

"It's a treat that a prisoner gets when they ask for, 'A morsel of food please,' " Kamala said shoving her hands forward as if clutching a metal plate, her voice now trembling like an old British man locked in a Dickensian jail cell. "'And water! I just want wahtahhh….'Your standards really go out the f—ing window."

Kamala burst into laughter.

Rest - https://reason.com/2021/01/22/the-washington-post-memory-holed-kamala-harris-bad-joke-about-inmates-begging-for-food-and-water/