PDA

View Full Version : Think this is right? Think again....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-24-2021, 05:45 PM
Think this is right? Think again....-Tyr

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/602142/mega-millions-lottery-winner-will-get-a-mega-tax-bill

Mega Millions Lottery Winner Will Get a Mega Tax Bill
The winning ticket for the $1 billion Mega Millions jackpot was bought in Michigan. After federal and state taxes are taken out, that amount will be much less.
by: Rocky Mengle
January 23, 2021

Congratulations to the lucky winner who had the only ticket that matched all six numbers in Friday's Mega Millions lottery drawing. But there are two other entities who also won big – the federal government and the state of Michigan. That's because, between the two, they're going to get a big chunck of the $1 billion jackpot once the tax man claims his share.

$1 billion is the estimated value of annuity payments over 30 years. If the winner opts for an immediate lump-sum cash payment, which is what usually happens, the actual payout is only $739.6 million — before taxes.

Let's take a look at Uncle Sam's cut first. The top federal tax rate is 37% on 2021 income of more than $523,600 for individuals ($628,300 for married couples filing a joint return). That means last night's winner will pay about $273.6 million in federal income taxes, assuming he or she takes the lump sum. That knocks net winnings down to around $466 million. (The IRS will automatically take 24% of the winnings, and the winner will owe the rest at tax time).

Now it's Michigan's turn. (Since the winning ticket was purchased in Novi, Michigan, we're assuming the winner is a Michigan resident.) Michigan has a flat income tax rate of 4.25%. Applying that rate to the $739.6 million lump-sum payout results in a state tax bill slightly under $31.5 million. The state will collect that amount right off the top, since the Michigan Lottery withholds 4.25% before it hands over the prize money.

So, where does that leave our lucky winner? The combined federal and state tax will be about $305.1 million. When you take that out of the $739.6 million one-time payment, that leaves about $434.5 million in the winner's pocket. Not bad for a $2 investment…but not quite the $1 billion advertised.

Federal and state government took over half...
Amount went from a bit over ONE billion down to less than half at 434.5 million.

Over half went to government but remember the ffing lousy dems think we aren't taxed enough!

The winner never was A BILLIONAIRE.

To ever win a billion dollars one would have to win a jackpot at about 1.75 billion. -Tyr

jimnyc
01-24-2021, 07:45 PM
It's the decisions of folks to always take lump sum payments that pisses me off. And no, not that they choose to do so, but that they then will take so damn much right off the top. :rolleyes: :death:

Here's what I don't get,

If you take the payment over 30 years, you'll be taxed yearly I assume on your taxes, and of course taxes could go up or down. Instead, you take the lump sum and they instead then factor in what is basically their loss? So they take that $260 million cut right from the get go. And then they tax you another $273 million on your lump sum remaining payment. So well over half the winnings, around $533 million before you blink your eye.

It's great to win but they still rob you.

SassyLady
01-25-2021, 05:14 AM
It's the decisions of folks to always take lump sum payments that pisses me off. And no, not that they choose to do so, but that they then will take so damn much right off the top. :rolleyes: :death:

Here's what I don't get,

If you take the payment over 30 years, you'll be taxed yearly I assume on your taxes, and of course taxes could go up or down. Instead, you take the lump sum and they instead then factor in what is basically their loss? So they take that $260 million cut right from the get go. And then they tax you another $273 million on your lump sum remaining payment. So well over half the winnings, around $533 million before you blink your eye.

It's great to win but they still rob you.

Take the lump sum and invest. Live off the interest.

fj1200
01-25-2021, 05:17 PM

Sounds about right. It's called taxes.

Take the lump sum and invest. Live off the interest.

Except that lottery winners have an awful track record of taking lump sum payouts. They should take the annual because they're largely incapable of handling that much money.

SassyLady
01-26-2021, 03:32 AM

Except that lottery winners have an awful track record of taking lump sum payouts. They should take the annual because they're largely incapable of handling that much money.

I'm 69 and I've had investments since I retired and I live off the interest. Keeps me from spending it foolishly. Of course part of that lump settlement would be given away to people i care about and organizations I care about. I would probably die before I received the total annuity.

fj1200
01-26-2021, 03:15 PM
I'm 69 and I've had investments since I retired and I live off the interest. Keeps me from spending it foolishly. Of course part of that lump settlement would be given away to people i care about and organizations I care about. I would probably die before I received the total annuity.

Lottery winners tend to spend foolishly because they didn't know how to manage money before and receiving lump sums didn't change their ability to manage it. You might have different reasons.

icansayit
01-26-2021, 04:31 PM

How many Lotteries have you won? And then tell us about a track record and how you have determined it applies to "ALL"???

fj1200
01-26-2021, 05:01 PM
How many Lotteries have you won? And then tell us about a track record and how you have determined it applies to "ALL"???

Zero.

Here’s why lottery winners go broke (https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/25/heres-why-lottery-winners-go-broke.html)

Didn't mean to imply "all." My apologies.

I disagree with state-sponsored gambling.

SassyLady
01-26-2021, 11:07 PM
Lottery winners tend to spend foolishly because they didn't know how to manage money before and receiving lump sums didn't change their ability to manage it. You might have different reasons.

I have degree in accounting so I think I know how to manage money. I have bought lottery tickets. So, your premise is flawed.

fj1200
01-27-2021, 08:16 AM
I have degree in accounting so I think I know how to manage money. I have bought lottery tickets. So, your premise is flawed.

My premise is statistics, human nature, and behavioral economics. I have an MBA in finance and economics and means very little in managing money. There are countless accounting and finance majors in bankruptcy.

All that said, your mileage may vary. May we both buy one lottery ticket for a billion dollars and walk away with the after tax portion.

Gunny
01-27-2021, 11:04 AM
Zero.

Here’s why lottery winners go broke (https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/25/heres-why-lottery-winners-go-broke.html)

Didn't mean to imply "all." My apologies.

I disagree with state-sponsored gambling.
Agree with the bolded.

Abbey Marie
01-28-2021, 11:57 AM

Federal and state government took over half...
Amount went from a bit over ONE billion down to less than half at 434.5 million.

Over half went to government but remember the ffing lousy dems think we aren't taxed enough!

The winner never was A BILLIONAIRE.

To ever win a billion dollars one would have to win a jackpot at about 1.75 billion. -Tyr

I take comfort in the knowledge that the Biden government and the State of Michigan will spend the money wisely.

:rolleyes:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-28-2021, 02:57 PM
I take comfort in the knowledge that the Biden government and the State of Michigan will spend the money wisely.

:rolleyes:

As do I.. :rolleyes:

Biden has ALREADY- started destroying agreements this nation has with our allies.
While he obeys China and other hostile foreign interests.
This is what one gets when voting in a totally dishonest, liar and corrupt idiot..-Tyr

icansayit
01-28-2021, 05:05 PM
Obviously....Joe has No Idea what, or why he signed anything.

https://cbsnews1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2016/11/15/a374e944-ce8f-4240-970d-324389189533/obamabiden2.jpg