PDA

View Full Version : Is Windows Just Bloatware?

tailfins
01-29-2021, 10:17 AM
I decided to take an online class in Hadoop. The course presented Hadoop in an Ubuntu Linux environment, so I installed Ubuntu's latest version on an old 4th Generation laptop that I had laying around that I use for international travel in case it gets stolen. It's like it has new life breathed into it. It took forever to do anything in Windows. In Ubuntu, it's not sluggish at all. I tried Fedora in the past and gave up in frustration. Ubuntu is a quantum leap better behaved. With the DisplayLink drivers, a usb docking station that is advertised as "only compatible with Windows" works rather well.

jimnyc
01-29-2021, 03:24 PM
I decided to take an online class in Hadoop. The course presented Hadoop in an Ubuntu Linux environment, so I installed Ubuntu's latest version on an old 4th Generation laptop that I had laying around that I use for international travel in case it gets stolen. It's like it has new life breathed into it. It took forever to do anything in Windows. In Ubuntu, it's not sluggish at all. I tried Fedora in the past and gave up in frustration. Ubuntu is a quantum leap better behaved. With the DisplayLink drivers, a usb docking station that is advertised as "only compatible with Windows" works rather well.

Linux Mint is great, Linux Lite, Puppy Linux, Tinycore... but Ubuntu is likely the best choice.

And of course Windows is bloatware. It's all about sales, and why so much software comes preloaded anymore.

gabosaurus
01-29-2021, 04:21 PM
You can download a program that removes most of the bloatware from Windows. Some you have to remove manually, but it is easily done.

tailfins
01-29-2021, 05:18 PM
You can download a program that removes most of the bloatware from Windows. Some you have to remove manually, but it is easily done.

I get the idea that Windows itself takes up memory and processor usage that Ubuntu doesn't