PDA

View Full Version : 'Uncomfortable truth': The new push for a slavery reparations commission in Congress

jimnyc
02-10-2021, 02:19 PM
Remember Rachel Dolezal? A white woman pretending to be black. I've also heard about several others since then, including a guy as well. We also have the many genders thing. And so so many are born that way, into the wrong bodies, but they know what they truly are underneath. And this should be respected. No, this MUST be respected and legally accepted.

But unlike them lying about it, I am truly a black man born into the wrong body. I found this out a long time ago.

Of course, I expect this to be respected as well. Being that I am a black man, I have found out that I am most likely a direct descendant of a family that was born into slavery.

So as I'm learning about myself and my history, I happened to notice that reparations are likely due to all of us.

---

'Uncomfortable truth': The new push for a slavery reparations commission in Congress

Weeks after Democrats took control of Congress and the White House, a Black lawmaker is making a renewed push for a national commission to examine the impact of slavery and reparations for descendants of millions of enslaved Africans.

Rep. Shelia Jackson Lee, D-Texas, announced the reintroduction of H.R. 40 to create the reparations commission last month, and next week the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties is set to hear testimony on the bill.

H.R. 40 has a long history in the House, championed for decades by the late Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., and now by Lee.

The reparations commission would study the history of slavery, the role federal and state governments played in supporting slavery and racial discrimination against the descendants of enslaved Africans.

"Economic issues are the root cause for many critical issues impacting the African American community today," Lee said.

The commission would make recommendations regarding "any form of apology," compensation and atonement for slavery, Lee said. "Truth and reconciliation about the 'original sin of American slavery' is necessary to light the way to the beloved community we all seek. The uncomfortable truth is that the United States owes its position as the most powerful nation in the world to its slave-owning past."

Rest - https://www.chron.com/news/article/Uncomfortable-truth-The-new-push-for-a-slavery-15939436.php

*** To revelarts & any other black folks that may happen across this thread. My comments at the top are in jest & I mean no disrespect to any black folks. I have an issue with Mrs. Lee & I simply disagree with reparations. I am 100% against slavery and find it reprehensible and a stain on our history.

fj1200
02-10-2021, 02:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorEMP8GxBA