PDA

View Full Version : Why Democrats Just Absolutely Hate Being Called .....

stephanie
09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
:eek::coffee:

I've always being one who likes to get under the skin of the collective left, and glorioski, have I found a way to rattle Democrats. You just refer to their wonderful party as the Democrat Party! Lordy, does this put a burr in their thongs.

Well .. now I think I've found out why! A buddy of mine at CNN (who, for obvious reasons, shall remain unnamed) provided me with some interesting information.

Joseph J. Ellis wrote a book called "Founding Brothers, The Revolutionary Generation." I ordered my copy this morning. One of the Amazon.com reviews for this book says "This book is really unique in that it gives a really interesting perspective not only on the men [our founding fathers] , but the dynamic between them."

Now in that book by this renowned historian you will find some tasty information on the origination of the word "democrat." Many times I've told you that our founding fathers were none too fond of the idea of democracy, or, as they viewed it, mob rule.

Here's the quote:

"... the term "democrat" originated as an epithet and referred to 'one who
panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.'"

Don't you love it? Could anything better define today's Democrat Party? Get with the program folks. It's the Democrat, not the "Democratic" Party.
http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html

retiredman
09-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I really don't care that much when members of the republic party do that... it really doesn't matter that much to me.

GW in Ohio
09-20-2007, 01:01 PM
stephanie: I honestly don't give a shit.

I used to be a card-carrying member of the GOP ans Democrats used to refer to my party as the "Repugs." My reaction....

Who cares?

Gaffer
09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
An asshole by any other name is still....

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
The founders hate Democracy?

Wow you people are just insane

manu1959
09-20-2007, 01:12 PM

you really don't understand the words you read do you?

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
quit your whining

Mr. P
09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
you really don't understand the words you read do you?

Obviously she has no clue. Surprised?

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 01:17 PM
You gonna whine now too?

manu1959
09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
quit your whining

freudian projection....

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Tell that to all the historians who think the founding fathers Hated Democracy.

You would have completely lost any scrap of a mind you ever possesed.

MtnBiker
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM

Is the USA a democracy?

Would you agree that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are 2 very important historical documents to our country's founding? Exactly where in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution does the word democracy appear? In our pledge of allegiance it is to a republic, not a democracy.

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 05:40 PM
A republic is a form of democracy.

How long have you been buying into that idiot talking point ?

http://tinyurl.com/25ehpv

de·moc·ra·cy (d-mkr-s) KEY

NOUN:
pl. de·moc·ra·cies
Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
A political or social unit that has such a government.
The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
Majority rule.
The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

I posted this three times now.

jimnyc
09-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Go look in a dictionary you dweeb.

Quit your whining, retard.

5stringJeff
09-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Actually, the Founders thought that direct democracy was dangerous, as it put too much power in the hands of the uneducated masses.

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
How does that change the fact that we are still a democrary???

Nice try.

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:08 PM

The founders were distrustful of democracy. That's why they didn't make the United States a democracy. We are a representative republic.

Anyone with History 101 knows that. I may think many of the Republicans on here are batshit crazy and are severely uneducated, you are by far the most unintelligent member of this board, by a long shot.

jimnyc

Nice try.

Democrary?

Is that like when a Chinese place confirms your order as "reef and roccori"?

5stringJeff

Nice try.

We aren't a democracy. We are a republic, in which our representatives vote on our behalf.

Nice try.

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Go look in a dictionary you dweeb.

NOUN:
pl. de·moc·ra·cies
Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
Majority rule.
The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

You dont get to redefine the words in the dictionary to defend your hate for what this country was founded on.

darin
09-20-2007, 06:12 PM
You dont get to redefine the words in the dictionary to defend your hate for what this country was founded on.

Are you talking to yourself now?

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Let me repeat:

The United States is NOT A DEMOCRACY.

We are a REPUBLIC.

Do you understand?

stephanie
09-20-2007, 06:14 PM

:laugh2:

jimnyc
09-20-2007, 06:15 PM

It's the only person left who doesn't think she's a moron.

darin
09-20-2007, 06:19 PM
I would HATE to find out tomorrow TM hurt herself - let's back off some? Or maybe only have ONE guy schoolin' her? :)

jimnyc
09-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I would HATE to find out tomorrow TM hurt herself - let's back off some? Or maybe only have ONE guy schoolin' her? :)

True enough, I'm done toying with her for this evening.

I'm sowwy I picked on wittle TM. I hope I didn't hurt your wittle feelings with my big words, TM. Pwease fogive me! :)

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Actually, the Founders thought that direct democracy was dangerous, as it put too much power in the hands of the uneducated masses.

We are a democracy huh?

When have I ever said we are a direct democracy?

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:33 PM

WRONG. ANYONE who has taken a history class knows that you are an IDIOT

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:36 PM
We are a democracy huh?

When have I ever said we are a direct democracy?

You need to get educated. Every member, no matter no dumb, has made a decent point at least once. However, YOU have NOT.

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2000/tst121200.htm

You seriously need to find a new hobby and cease discussing politics. You have shown yourself to be an uneducated, foolish, idiot.

From the piece:

The problem, of course, is that our country is not a democracy. Our nation was founded as a constitutionally limited republic, as any grammar school child knew just a few decades ago

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 06:37 PM
That is why we are not a direct democracy.

Would you choose a direct democracy?

Do you understand what would have to happen to be a direct democracy?

The people would have to vote on everything that was done.

Lets not be stupid.

We are still a democracy and just go ahead and try and say we are not?

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:46 PM
That is why we are not a direct democracy.

Would you choose a direct democracy?

Do you understand what would have to happen to be a direct democracy?

The people would have to vote on everything that was done.

Lets not be stupid.

We are still a democracy and just go ahead and try and say we are not?

First of all, you are building a strawman. No one is in favor of direct democracy, so why ask others to defend it? Because you have an intellectual void.

Secondly, do you understand what a representative republic is? It's not even really representative democracy. We're a republic. Which is completely different.

STOP debating politics. You have shown yourself to be the most uneducated person on this board.

diuretic
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM

I've always being one who likes to get under the skin of the collective left, and glorioski, have I found a way to rattle Democrats. You just refer to their wonderful party as the Democrat Party! Lordy, does this put a burr in their thongs.

Well .. now I think I've found out why! A buddy of mine at CNN (who, for obvious reasons, shall remain unnamed) provided me with some interesting information.

Joseph J. Ellis wrote a book called "Founding Brothers, The Revolutionary Generation." I ordered my copy this morning. One of the Amazon.com reviews for this book says "This book is really unique in that it gives a really interesting perspective not only on the men [our founding fathers] , but the dynamic between them."

Now in that book by this renowned historian you will find some tasty information on the origination of the word "democrat." Many times I've told you that our founding fathers were none too fond of the idea of democracy, or, as they viewed it, mob rule.

Here's the quote:

Don't you love it? Could anything better define today's Democrat Party? Get with the program folks. It's the Democrat, not the "Democratic" Party.

I remember reading where the founders were keen to avoid the tyranny of the majority so the epithet makes sense. The worst kind of politician in a democracy is the populist, the one who will sacrifice principle for popularity (ie for votes). And I have to say on my reading of US politics there has been plenty of populism on both sides of politics over the years. Of course that doesn't make it right, but it's my observation.

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Here is a good quote for you...

"The United States is not a simple representative democracy, but a constitutional republic in which majority rule is tempered by minority rights protected by law."

From An Introduction to the American Legal System

Get it through your dumbass skull...We are NOT a democracy, idiot.

diuretic
09-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Is the USA a democracy?

Would you agree that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are 2 very important historical documents to our country's founding? Exactly where in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution does the word democracy appear? In our pledge of allegiance it is to a republic, not a democracy.

Still reading through so if this has been answered then apologies for bringing it up again.

There's no clash between a "republic" and a "democracy". But I do take the point that "republicanism" as a political philosophy has a very broad meaning and application. But I'm just, for the moment, looking at the context both concepts are being used.

A "republic" is more about what it's not than what it is. France is a republic, Australia is a constitutonal monarchy. France has a president, we have a sovereign. France is a democracy, so is Australia.

The United States is a republic. It has a president. It is a democracy.

diuretic
09-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Good point. Direct democracy would be a mess too, imagine 300 million people all trying to get a word in at once! Indirect democracy is probably the only workable system in an advanced industrialised nation.

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
First of all, you are building a strawman. No one is in favor of direct democracy, so why ask others to defend it? Because you have an intellectual void.

Secondly, do you understand what a representative republic is? It's not even really representative democracy. We're a republic. Which is completely different.

STOP debating politics. You have shown yourself to be the most uneducated person on this board.

Maybe you should go back and read who was building the straw man?

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Still reading through so if this has been answered then apologies for bringing it up again.

There's no clash between a "republic" and a "democracy". But I do take the point that "republicanism" as a political philosophy has a very broad meaning and application. But I'm just, for the moment, looking at the context both concepts are being used.

A "republic" is more about what it's not than what it is. France is a republic, Australia is a constitutonal monarchy. France has a president, we have a sovereign. France is a democracy, so is Australia.

The United States is a republic. It has a president. It is a democracy.

Our protections of minorities (politically, not racial) in government institutions and lack of 51% passage for numerous types of legislation mean specifically we are not a traditional representative democracy. We are a Republic.

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Here's the quote:

http://boortz.com/nuze/index.html the original post

A democractic republic is a democracy.

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 06:59 PM
the original post

A democractic republic is a democracy.

Once again, you completely fail to make a valid point. You don't cite anything, and you just make uneducated statements.

Go take History 101. You REALLY need it.

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 07:05 PM

NOUN:
pl. de·moc·ra·cies
Majority rule.

how many times do I have to post this fact?

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 07:21 PM
how many times do I have to post this fact?

That does not 100% accurately describe our political system. How stupid are you?

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Cant you read?

have a little honesty

retiredman
09-20-2007, 07:27 PM
That does not 100% accurately describe our political system. How stupid are you?

"Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
A political or social unit that has such a government."

pretty damned close. you should quit and limit your losses.

diuretic
09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Our protections of minorities (politically, not racial) in government institutions and lack of 51% passage for numerous types of legislation mean specifically we are not a traditional representative democracy. We are a Republic.

Oh dear, I'm going to look like I'm a pedant. I'm not really.

John Stuart Mill was a wise observer and thinker. He too was aware of the potential for the tyranny of the majority in a democracy. He was right on the money. What we value is a liberal democracy, not a simple democracy. And a liberal democracy can be a republic or a constitutional monarchy with indirect representation. And on indirect representation probably the clearext exposition of it I can think of is still Burke's Speech to the Electors of Bristol.

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Oh dear, I'm going to look like I'm a pedant. I'm not really.

John Stuart Mill was a wise observer and thinker. He too was aware of the potential for the tyranny of the majority in a democracy. He was right on the money. What we value is a liberal democracy, not a simple democracy. And a liberal democracy can be a republic or a constitutional monarchy with indirect representation. And on indirect representation probably the clearext exposition of it I can think of is still Burke's Speech to the Electors of Bristol.

Here's the best way I can describe it...

Think of it like a pie chart. 10% are democratic characteristics and 90% are republican characteristics. Believe it or not, there is a huge difference.

Does the U.S. have democratic characteristics? Sure does. However, the overwhelming characteristics of a republic make it unfair to label us strictly as a "democracy" or even a "representative democracy"

Our rules of government reflect that.

retiredman
09-20-2007, 08:11 PM
and people who don't agree with your 90/10 arbitrary division of the pie are "stupid"?

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's the best way I can describe it...

Think of it like a pie chart. 10% are democratic characteristics and 90% are republican characteristics. Believe it or not, there is a huge difference.

Does the U.S. have democratic characteristics? Sure does. However, the overwhelming characteristics of a republic make it unfair to label us strictly as a "democracy" or even a "representative democracy"

Our rules of government reflect that.

Why so you refuse to realise a republic IS a democracy?

I is the definition of the word.

You have no honor or decency if you refuse to admitt you are wrong.

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

Nearly everyone on this thread has told you that you are wrong. RARELY is there such consensus.

Go get an education.

MtnBiker
09-20-2007, 08:35 PM
How about a few quotations demonstrating the disdain our founders held for democracy? James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 10: In a pure democracy, "there is nothing to check the inducement to sacrifice the weaker party or the obnoxious individual." At the 1787 Constitutional Convention, Edmund Randolph said, " ... that in tracing these evils to their origin every man had found it in the turbulence and follies of democracy." John Adams said, "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There was never a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." Chief Justice John Marshall observed, "Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos." In a word or two, the founders knew that a democracy would lead to the same kind of tyranny the colonies suffered under King George III.
The framers gave us a Constitution that is replete with undemocratic mechanisms. One that has come in for recent criticism and calls for its elimination is the Electoral College. In their wisdom, the framers gave us the Electoral College so that in presidential elections large, heavily populated states couldn't democratically run roughshod over small, sparsely populated states.

Here's my question. Do Americans share the republican values laid out by our founders, and is it simply a matter of our being unschooled about the differences between a republic and a democracy? Or is it a matter of preference and we now want the kind of tyranny feared by the founders where Congress can do anything it can muster a majority vote to do? I fear it's the latter.

Walter E. Williams

Link (http://gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/05/republic.html)

Mr. P
09-20-2007, 09:02 PM
The next thing TM will tell us is we have a constitutional right to vote for the Pres...

*That'll keep er busy for a few days*

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Nearly everyone on this thread has told you that you are wrong. RARELY is there such consensus.

Go get an education.

The peopel on here are idiots who would are incapable of absorbing truth.

The dictionary agrees with me you people mean nothing.

AFbombloader
09-20-2007, 09:20 PM

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
re·pub·lic /rɪˈpʌblɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-puhb-lik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
2. any body of persons viewed as a commonwealth.
3. a state in which the head of government is not a monarch or other hereditary head of state.
4. (initial capital letter) any of the five periods of republican government in France. Compare First Republic, Second Republic, Third Republic, Fourth Republic, Fifth Republic.
5. (initial capital letter, italics) a philosophical dialogue (4th century b.c.) by Plato dealing with the composition and structure of the ideal state.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Origin: 1595–1605; < F république, MF < L rés pūblica, equiv. to rés thing, entity + pūblica public]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Don't really see democracy anywhere in this. Now with a bit more searching I was able to find where it listed democracy as a syn. Not the same thing.

AF:salute:

JackDaniels
09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
re·pub·lic /rɪˈpʌblɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-puhb-lik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
3. a state in which the head of government is not a monarch or other hereditary head of state.
4. (initial capital letter) any of the five periods of republican government in France. Compare First Republic, Second Republic, Third Republic, Fourth Republic, Fifth Republic.
5. (initial capital letter, italics) a philosophical dialogue (4th century b.c.) by Plato dealing with the composition and structure of the ideal state.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Origin: 1595–1605; < F république, MF < L rés pūblica, equiv. to rés thing, entity + pūblica public]
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Don't really see democracy anywhere in this. Now with a bit more searching I was able to find where it listed democracy as a syn. Not the same thing.

:clap:

Exactly.

truthmatters
09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Very good now look up democracy and you will see it is what a republic is.

darin
09-20-2007, 09:36 PM

HOLY CRAP - you REFUSE to be wrong, don't you? It's like you're the spawn of manfrommaine - neither of you will admit, in the face of facts, you were mistaken.

Hold on to your sinking-ship.

AFbombloader
09-20-2007, 09:39 PM

Do I really need to do this?

de·moc·ra·cy /dɪˈmɒkrəsi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-mok-ruh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -cies. 1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies. just because it is here does not make it correct, we are not a democracy and Canada is a constitutional monarchy that is also a parliamentary democracy and a federation.
3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
4. political or social equality; democratic spirit.
5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

These look the same if you didn't read closely. The second definition, the one for democracy has 1 key word in it. It is the word or. This changes the form of government entirely. We do not govern in America, unless you are chosen by the people. The elected representitives re elected to do it for us. This is something that is being tought incorrectly.

diuretic
09-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Here's an idea. Jack mentioned the characteristics of a republic. Good point. What are they?

I'll be up front here, I'm arguing that the antonym of "republic" is "consitutional monarchy" and that the antonym of "democracy" is "dictatorship" and I think I'll be able to show that one of the few real differences between a republic and a constitutional democracy hinge on the head of state. But there could be more May I suggest that would be an interesting discussion?

09-20-2007, 09:59 PM

Because your very argument is a contradiction. A republic by definition cannot be a democracy because if it was a democracy it wouldnt be a republic. They are two very different forms of government.

diuretic
09-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Because your very argument is a contradiction. A republic by definition cannot be a democracy because if it was a democracy it wouldnt be a republic. They are two very different forms of government.

And my argument is that a republic isn't a constitutional monarchy but both can be democracies. Can you address that? I've tried to get some discussion along those lines but it seems no-one's biting.

09-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Main Entry: de·moc·ra·cy
Pronunciation: di-'mä-kr&-sE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
Etymology: Middle French democratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek dEmokratia, from dEmos + -kratia -cracy
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections
2 : a political unit that has a democratic government
3 capitalized : the principles and policies of the Democratic party in the United States <from emancipation Republicanism to New Deal Democracy -- C. M. Roberts>
4 : the common people especially when constituting the source of political authority
5 : the absence of hereditary or arbitrary class distinctions or privileges

Main Entry: re·pub·lic
Pronunciation: ri-'p&-blik
Etymology: French république, from Middle French republique, from Latin respublica, from res thing, wealth + publica, feminine of publicus public -- more at REAL, PUBLIC
1 a (1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government b (1) : a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government c : a usually specified republican government of a political unit <the French Fourth Republic>
2 : a body of persons freely engaged in a specified activity <the republic of letters>
3 : a constituent political and territorial unit of the former nations of Czechoslovakia, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, or Yugoslavia

Neither of them are the same. Neither use the othe to define themselves. And I think Meriam Webster is a pretty damn official dictionary.

diuretic
09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
"Neither of them are the same". Yes, that's correct, they're two different concepts. But they're not mutually exclusive.

retiredman
09-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Etymology: Middle French democratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek dEmokratia, from dEmos + -kratia -cracy
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections 2 : a political unit that has a democratic government
3 capitalized : the principles and policies of the Democratic party in the United States <from emancipation Republicanism to New Deal Democracy -- C. M. Roberts>
4 : the common people especially when constituting the source of political authority

Etymology: French république, from Middle French republique, from Latin respublica, from res thing, wealth + publica, feminine of publicus public -- more at REAL, PUBLIC
1 a (1) : a government having a chief of state who is not a monarch and who in modern times is usually a president (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government b (1) : a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law (2) : a political unit (as a nation) having such a form of government c : a usually specified republican government of a political unit <the French Fourth Republic>
2 : a body of persons freely engaged in a specified activity <the republic of letters>
3 : a constituent political and territorial unit of the former nations of Czechoslovakia, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, or Yugoslavia

Neither of them are the same. Neither use the othe to define themselves. And I think Meriam Webster is a pretty damn official dictionary.

Curious...are you suggesting that the underlined and bolded portion of the first definition does NOT apply to the United States?

actsnoblemartin
09-21-2007, 07:15 AM
I agree with mtnbiker, I thought we lived in a republic too. And to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under god, indivisible
with liberty and justice for all

Is the USA a democracy?

diuretic
09-21-2007, 07:18 AM
You do live in a republic Martin. Just as I live in a constitutional monarchy. And we both live in democracies. Good innit? :D

Where's roomy? I wanna tell him to take his Queen back :laugh2:

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 10:10 AM

de·moc·ra·cy /dɪˈmɒkrəsi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-mok-ruh-see] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -cies. 1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies. just because it is here does not make it correct, we are not a democracy and Canada is a constitutional monarchy that is also a parliamentary democracy and a federation.
3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

These look the same if you didn't read closely. The second definition, the one for democracy has 1 key word in it. It is the word or. This changes the form of government entirely. We do not govern in America, unless you are chosen by the people. The elected representitives re elected to do it for us. This is something that is being tought incorrectly.

Can we have a link to your dictionary fella?

jimnyc
09-21-2007, 10:11 AM

The link is right in his definition! - dictionary.com

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I agree with mtnbiker, I thought we lived in a republic too. And to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under god, indivisible
with liberty and justice for all

A republic is a representational democracy.

These people would LIE to their own mothers face to attack me and anyone who shakes their little house of cards world.

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections
2 : a political unit that has a democratic government

There is nothing in here that will let me link?

JackDaniels
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
A republic is a representational democracy.

These people would LIE to their own mothers face to attack me and anyone who shakes their little house of cards world.

Wrong. I have agreed with you in the past.

The point being made is that you are WRONG, and UNEDUCATED.

You have lost. Bye. :pee:Republicrats

jimnyc
09-21-2007, 10:16 AM

That's neither the post you quote nor the post you reported!

Furthermore, he CLEARLY states "And I think Meriam Webster is a pretty damn official dictionary."

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 10:18 AM
You can say whatever you want in puplic and I cant.

how fair huh?

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 10:20 AM

nothing in here to link either

jimnyc
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
You can say whatever you want in puplic and I cant.

how fair huh?

Say what you have to say. You reported a post - I replied to you via PM and told you to please comprehend a post before reporting it, that they post you reported did in fact cite a reference.

You can't comprehend a simple post and now you accuse me of doing something wrong? How typical.

jimnyc
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
nothing in here to link either

Here, I'll REPEAT THE FIRST LINE FROM THE DEFINITION YOU QUOTED:

" Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This"

Are you truly this dense?

retiredman
09-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I have to point out that arguing whether or not the United States is a republic and, therefore, not a democracy is really about as meaningful and important as arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.:lame2:

I wonder if we did an extensive search, how many instances we could find where every single american president in the 20th century had referred to the US as a democracy? Are they ALL full of shit?

This is silly. really.

hjmick
09-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Christ, lazy people annoy me.

Republic (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Republic)

Democracy (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Democracy)

There you go.

If it was that damn important to you, you could have easily copied and pasted Dictionary.com into the address line of your browser and hit "enter." It takes all of 30 seconds to do. But no, you choose to behave like a petulant child demanding that someone else do the work for you, as if AF or Avatar just made the definitions up.

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 10:29 AM
This is from wikipedia.org

Forms of democracy
Main article: Democracy (varieties)

[edit] Representative
Representative democracy involves the selection of government officials by the people being represented. The most common mechanisms involve election of the candidate with a majority or a plurality of the votes. Representatives may be elected by a particular district (or constituency), or represent the entire electorate proportionally proportional systems, with some using a combination of the two. Some representative democracies also incorporate elements of direct democracy, such as referendums. A characteristic of representative democracy is that while the representatives are elected by the people to act in their interest, they retain the freedom to exercise their own judgment as how best to do so.

[edit] Parlimentary democracy
Parlimentary democracy where government is appointed by parliamentary representatives as opposed to a 'presidential rule' by decree dictatorship. Under a parliamentary democracy government is exercised by delegation to an executive ministry and subject to ongoing review, checks and balances by the legislative parliament elected by the people.

“ Where there is no counsel the people fall but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. ”

[edit] Liberal democracy
Liberal democracy is a representative democracy along with the protection of minorities, the rule of law, separation of powers, and protection of liberties (thus the name liberal) of speech, assembly, religion, and property. Conversely, an illiberal democracy is one where the protections that form a liberal democracy are either non-existent, or not enforced.

[edit] Direct Democracy
Direct democracy is a political system where the citizens participate in the decision making personally, contrary to relying on intermediaries or representatives. The supporters of direct democracy argue that democracy is more than merely a procedural issue (i.e voting). Most direct democracies to date have been weak forms, relatively small communities, usually city-states. However, some see the extensive use of referendums, as in California, as akin to direct democracy in a very large polity with more than 20 million potential voters.[8] In Switzerland, 5 million voters decide on national referendums and initiatives two to four times a year; direct democratic instruments are also well established at the cantonal and communal level.

[edit] Socialist Democracy
Socialism has several different views on democracy. Social democracy, democratic socialism, and the dictatorship of the proletariat (usually exercised though Soviet democracy) are some examples. Many democratic socialists and social democrats believe in a form of participatory democracy and workplace democracy combined with a representative democracy. Marxists, Leninists and Trotskyists believe in direct democracy though a system of communes (which are sometimes called soviets). Marxist-Leninists, Maoists and other "orthodox Marxists" generally advocate democracy, but practice totalitarianism and often employ a cult of personality, secret police and propaganda to remain in power.

[edit] Anarchist Democracy
The only form of democracy considered acceptable to anarchists is direct democracy. Some anarchists oppose direct democracy while others favour it. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon argued that the only acceptable form of direct democracy is one in which it is recognized that majority decisions are not binding on the minority, even when unanimous.[9] However, anarcho-communist Murray Bookchin criticized individualist anarchists for opposing democracy,[10] and says "majority rule" is consistent with anarchism.[11] Some anarcho-communists oppose the majoritarian nature of direct democracy, feeling that it can impede individual liberty and opt in favor of a non-majoritarian form of consensus democracy, similar to Proudhon's position on direct democracy.[12]

I dont know why you republicans dont want to admitt America is a Democracy.

How is it all republicans labor under this misconception?

hjmick
09-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Christ, lazy people annoy me.

Republic (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Republic)

Democracy (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Democracy)

There you go.

If it was that damn important to you, you could have easily copied and pasted Dictionary.com into the address line of your browser and hit "enter." It takes all of 30 seconds to do. But no, you choose to behave like a petulant child demanding that someone else do the work for you, as if AF or Avatar just made the definitions up.

You know, upon reflection, this post is rather out of character for me. I generally try to be more civil. I suppose I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I apologize for the attitude.

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 11:16 AM
You know, upon reflection, this post is rather out of character for me. I generally try to be more civil. I suppose I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I apologize for the attitude.

Are you ready to admitt that this country is a democracy yet?

hjmick
09-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Are you ready to admitt that this country is a democracy yet?

LOL, I never said it wasn't! I had always thought it was a representative republic, which I always thought was a type of democracy.

Now, over the last seven years, I've been hearing it is a dictatorship.

Needless to say, I'm now more confused than ever and no longer want any part of this discussion. It's going to make my head explode.

:blowup:

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Anyone else want to admitt a republic is a democracy now?

AFbombloader
09-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Sorry, it was in the first line.

:link:www.dictionary.com

AFbombloader
09-21-2007, 01:09 PM

God forbid, you might actually have to read the link and then type it in!

AFbombloader
09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
This is from wikipedia.org

Forms of democracy
Main article: Democracy (varieties)

[edit] Representative
Representative democracy involves the selection of government officials by the people being represented. The most common mechanisms involve election of the candidate with a majority or a plurality of the votes. Representatives may be elected by a particular district (or constituency), or represent the entire electorate proportionally proportional systems, with some using a combination of the two. Some representative democracies also incorporate elements of direct democracy, such as referendums. A characteristic of representative democracy is that while the representatives are elected by the people to act in their interest, they retain the freedom to exercise their own judgment as how best to do so.

[edit] Parlimentary democracy
Parlimentary democracy where government is appointed by parliamentary representatives as opposed to a 'presidential rule' by decree dictatorship. Under a parliamentary democracy government is exercised by delegation to an executive ministry and subject to ongoing review, checks and balances by the legislative parliament elected by the people.

“ Where there is no counsel the people fall but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety. ”

[edit] Liberal democracy
Liberal democracy is a representative democracy along with the protection of minorities, the rule of law, separation of powers, and protection of liberties (thus the name liberal) of speech, assembly, religion, and property. Conversely, an illiberal democracy is one where the protections that form a liberal democracy are either non-existent, or not enforced.

[edit] Direct Democracy
Direct democracy is a political system where the citizens participate in the decision making personally, contrary to relying on intermediaries or representatives. The supporters of direct democracy argue that democracy is more than merely a procedural issue (i.e voting). Most direct democracies to date have been weak forms, relatively small communities, usually city-states. However, some see the extensive use of referendums, as in California, as akin to direct democracy in a very large polity with more than 20 million potential voters.[8] In Switzerland, 5 million voters decide on national referendums and initiatives two to four times a year; direct democratic instruments are also well established at the cantonal and communal level.

[edit] Socialist Democracy
Socialism has several different views on democracy. Social democracy, democratic socialism, and the dictatorship of the proletariat (usually exercised though Soviet democracy) are some examples. Many democratic socialists and social democrats believe in a form of participatory democracy and workplace democracy combined with a representative democracy. Marxists, Leninists and Trotskyists believe in direct democracy though a system of communes (which are sometimes called soviets). Marxist-Leninists, Maoists and other "orthodox Marxists" generally advocate democracy, but practice totalitarianism and often employ a cult of personality, secret police and propaganda to remain in power.

[edit] Anarchist Democracy
The only form of democracy considered acceptable to anarchists is direct democracy. Some anarchists oppose direct democracy while others favour it. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon argued that the only acceptable form of direct democracy is one in which it is recognized that majority decisions are not binding on the minority, even when unanimous.[9] However, anarcho-communist Murray Bookchin criticized individualist anarchists for opposing democracy,[10] and says "majority rule" is consistent with anarchism.[11] Some anarcho-communists oppose the majoritarian nature of direct democracy, feeling that it can impede individual liberty and opt in favor of a non-majoritarian form of consensus democracy, similar to Proudhon's position on direct democracy.[12]

I dont know why you republicans dont want to admitt America is a Democracy.

How is it all republicans labor under this misconception?

Do you realixe that wikipedia is not a valid source in most colleges? It is open to editing by anyone and the pages are not regulated. I prefer to use other sources. None of my professors will allow it for anything. Try again.

Nukeman
09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Do you realixe that wikipedia is not a valid source in most colleges? It is open to editing by anyone and the pages are not regulated. I prefer to use other sources. None of my professors will allow it for anything. Try again.
AF,

Wiki is her "holy grail" of information. She can edit it to say whatever she wants. I rarely use Wiki because its not a TRUSTED sight. You just cant reach some people....

:salute:

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 02:06 PM
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_1741500781/United_States_(Government).html#p2

the truth hurts huh?

United States Government, the combination of federal, state, and local laws, bodies, and agencies that is responsible for carrying out the operations of the United States. The federal government of the United States is centered in Washington, D.C.

The institutions of all governments emerge from basic principles. In the United States the one basic principle is representative democracy, which defines a system in which the people govern themselves by electing their own leaders. The American government functions to secure this principle and to further the common interests of the people.

Democracy in America is based on six essential ideals: (1) People must accept the principle of majority rule. (2) The political rights of minorities must be protected. (3) Citizens must agree to a system of rule by law. (4) The free exchange of opinions and ideas must not be restricted. (5) All citizens must be equal before the law. (6) Government exists to serve the people, because it derives its power from the people. These ideals form the basis of the democratic system in the United States, which seeks to create a union of diverse peoples, places, and interests.

To implement its essential democratic ideals, the United States has built its government on four elements: (1) popular sovereignty, meaning that the people are the ultimate source of the government’s authority; (2) representative government; (3) checks and balances; and (4) federalism, an arrangement where powers are shared by different levels of government.

jimnyc
09-21-2007, 02:13 PM
the truth hurts huh?

It must, you whine and bitch in every other thread when it's shoved down your throat! :laugh2:

AFbombloader
09-21-2007, 02:13 PM
http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_1741500781/United_States_(Government).html#p2

the truth hurts huh?

United States Government, the combination of federal, state, and local laws, bodies, and agencies that is responsible for carrying out the operations of the United States. The federal government of the United States is centered in Washington, D.C.

The institutions of all governments emerge from basic principles. In the United States the one basic principle is representative democracy, which defines a system in which the people govern themselves by electing their own leaders. The American government functions to secure this principle and to further the common interests of the people.

Democracy in America is based on six essential ideals: (1) People must accept the principle of majority rule. (2) The political rights of minorities must be protected. (3) Citizens must agree to a system of rule by law. (4) The free exchange of opinions and ideas must not be restricted. (5) All citizens must be equal before the law. (6) Government exists to serve the people, because it derives its power from the people. These ideals form the basis of the democratic system in the United States, which seeks to create a union of diverse peoples, places, and interests.

To implement its essential democratic ideals, the United States has built its government on four elements: (1) popular sovereignty, meaning that the people are the ultimate source of the government’s authority; (2) representative government; (3) checks and balances; and (4) federalism, an arrangement where powers are shared by different levels of government.

I can play your games too. If you want to use your site, here it is. http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761575112/Democracy.html

Democracy (Greek demos,”the people”; kratein, “to rule”), political system in which the people of a country rule through any form of government they choose to establish. In modern democracies, supreme authority is exercised for the most part by representatives elected by popular suffrage. The representatives may be supplanted by the electorate according to the legal procedures of recall and referendum, and they are, at least in principle, responsible to the electorate. In many democracies, such as the United States, both the executive head of government and the legislature are elected. In typical constitutional monarchies such as the United Kingdom and Norway, only the legislators are elected, and from their ranks a cabinet and a prime minister are chosen.

Although often used interchangeably, the terms democracy and republic are not synonymous. Both systems delegate the power to govern to their elected representatives. In a republic, however, these officials are expected to act on their own best judgment of the needs and interests of the country. The officials in a democracy more generally and directly reflect the known or ascertained views of their constituents, sometimes subordinating their own judgment.

jimnyc
09-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Way to go, AF! :laugh2: :clap:

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I can play your games too. If you want to use your site, here it is. http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761575112/Democracy.html

Democracy (Greek demos,”the people”; kratein, “to rule”), political system in which the people of a country rule through any form of government they choose to establish. In modern democracies, supreme authority is exercised for the most part by representatives elected by popular suffrage. The representatives may be supplanted by the electorate according to the legal procedures of recall and referendum, and they are, at least in principle, responsible to the electorate. In many democracies, such as the United States, both the executive head of government and the legislature are elected. In typical constitutional monarchies such as the United Kingdom and Norway, only the legislators are elected, and from their ranks a cabinet and a prime minister are chosen.

Although often used interchangeably, the terms democracy and republic are not synonymous. Both systems delegate the power to govern to their elected representatives. In a republic, however, these officials are expected to act on their own best judgment of the needs and interests of the country. The officials in a democracy more generally and directly reflect the known or ascertained views of their constituents, sometimes subordinating their own judgment.

Why did you leave this part out a little further down on that page?

The major features of modern democracy include individual freedom, which entitles citizens to the liberty and responsibility of shaping their own careers and conducting their own affairs; equality before the law; and universal suffrage and education. Such features have been proclaimed in great historic documents, for example, the U.S. Declaration of Independence, which asserted the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, which affirmed the principles of civil liberty and of equality before the law; and the Atlantic Charter, which formulated the four basic freedoms.

AFbombloader
09-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Why did you leave this part out a little further down on that page?

The major features of modern democracy include individual freedom, which entitles citizens to the liberty and responsibility of shaping their own careers and conducting their own affairs; equality before the law; and universal suffrage and education. Such features have been proclaimed in great historic documents, for example, the U.S. Declaration of Independence, which asserted the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; the French Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, which affirmed the principles of civil liberty and of equality before the law; and the Atlantic Charter, which formulated the four basic freedoms.

Do you want me to copy the whole internet onto this post? I didn't put that in because it is already on this thread in one form or another. I did not feel I needed to repeat it.

AFbombloader
09-21-2007, 02:49 PM

I did hope that you would read this and see the difference noted in red. The first part applys to the US. Our representatives are there to act on their own best judgement.

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 02:49 PM

Why do you refuse to understand the differance?

The USA is a democracy no matter how much you hate democracy the founders desided on a representative democracy or also known as a republic for our government.

The founders loved that form of Democracy very much and any REAL American would agree.

darin
09-21-2007, 03:17 PM

The USA is a democracy no matter how much you hate democracy the founders desided on a representative democracy or also known as a republic for our government.

The founders loved that form of Democracy very much and any REAL American would agree.

If I were you, I'd shut up now...do NOT challenge Jeff (of ALL people) to a battle of wits or intelligence.

09-21-2007, 03:58 PM
If I were you, I'd shut up now...do NOT challenge Jeff (of ALL people) to a battle of wits or intelligence.

especially while unarmed

April15
09-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Here's the quote:

Yes Boortz has his definition but the true original meaning is far different than his.

Gunny
09-21-2007, 04:15 PM
quit your whining

Who's whining besides you?:fu:

Gunny
09-21-2007, 04:17 PM

What a 'tard. Once again you completely misread what has been stated. How many times does this need be pointed out before you get a clue that it's YOU?:laugh2:

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
We aren't a democracy. We are a republic, in which our representatives vote on our behalf.

Nice try.

Gunny I think you may be as mistaken as this guy.

Now would you like to both appologise for your errors since I have proven you both wrong?

I have proven him wrong already little man.

darin
09-21-2007, 05:13 PM

YAY! it's a LIE fest! Damn Liar.

Mr. P
09-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Gunny I think you may be as mistaken as this guy.

Now would you like to both appologise for your errors since I have proven you both wrong?

:laugh2: God yer an idiot! That you prove time and again. :laugh2:

Can you even tell us what a republic is?

gabosaurus
09-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Stephie's whiny rants become more ludicrous every day. It's like she wants to be Coulter, but can't muster up the intelligence level.

5stringJeff
09-21-2007, 05:24 PM

As AFbombloader already posted, "democracy" and "republic" are not interchangeable terms. The founders decided on a republic. Or have you not heard the famous quote from Benjamin Franklin, who, when he was asked what kind of government the Constitutional Convention had established, replied, "A republic, if you can keep it."

And now I "hate democracy?" Do you enjoy building up strawmen, just to tear them down? Please show me where I have admitted to hating democracy.

09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Stephie's whiny rants become more ludicrous every day. It's like she wants to be Coulter, but can't muster up the intelligence level.

you really arent in a position to criticize the intelligence of others.

BTW Ann Coulter is a very intelligent woman. Just read her books. Just because she is a b**** about her points sometimes doesnt invalidate her accuracy.

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 05:41 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2kx4aq

This same resource he quotes calls the U S a democracy repetedly

Yurt
09-21-2007, 05:54 PM
you really arent in a position to criticize the intelligence of others.

BTW Ann Coulter is a very intelligent woman. Just read her books. Just because she is a b**** about her points sometimes doesnt invalidate her accuracy.

Hey, don't give these people logic clues.

:coffee:

They are so dense, they can't get past the "b". Then again, they support ignorance in schools.