PDA

View Full Version : Boat Seating

NightTrain
02-12-2021, 06:12 PM
I've been shopping for additional seating for the boat. Decided on a blue/white scheme to match the boat's colors.

This is the boat :

The original seats were old and quickly disintegrated in rough seas when I took it out of Homer for halibut fishing, so I installed these last fall after Darin left :

I'm torn between the passenger seating - back to back installed directly behind the forward Cap'n Chairs or more of a bench style seat with the backs against the gunnels so passengers are facing each other? We decided to have seating for 6, and if more is needed there's always the doghouse and the ever-present coolers. I've narrowed it down to these :

13182 13183

Actually, the back-to-back seats fold out flat for a total length of 66" long, so you could easily sit 3 on those in that configuration - plus the ability to sleep on them if that ever was needed.

What do you all think?

Gunny
02-12-2021, 06:37 PM
I think I don't know squat about river boats. Looks cool to me. :)

Abbey Marie
02-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Facing bench seats seem the most space-efficient?

Gunny
02-12-2021, 07:45 PM
Facing bench seats seem the most space-efficient?It is. 'A-hole-to-belly button" actually is. Get a LOT of Marine recruits in one building that way :)

Facing benches is next. FOr one thing, if you sit facing forward/aft, somebody's got to do a lot of twisting their heads around to have conversations. Facing benches cures that. You can pack more people on a bench than individual seats. Everyone can see the pilot and where they are going.

All our troop transports were set up with facing web seats. And you DO want to know where you are on a Marine CH-47. Those things don't swim any better than they fly:laugh:

NightTrain
02-12-2021, 08:16 PM
Good points.

I know from experience that back-to-back seating is uncomfortable and awkward when trying to hold a conversation.

The bench seats are 38" wide, so easily can seat 2 andthe storage under them is always welcome.

Having a hell of a time trying to find American made seats - 90% of websites selling these styles of Marine seats are made by Wise - which is cheap Chinese junk according to reviews.

SassyLady
02-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Like the bench seating and the colors. Good luck on American made.

Russ
02-12-2021, 09:29 PM
Which seat fits more beer inside?

NightTrain
02-13-2021, 01:03 AM
Facing bench seats seem the most space-efficient?

About the same. Back-to-back is maybe a few inches longer, without being extended into the flat configuration.

Not that easy! :laugh:

They're about the same volume for underneath storage.

Gunny
02-13-2021, 09:51 AM

About the same. Back-to-back is maybe a few inches longer, without being extended into the flat configuration.

Not that easy! :laugh:

They're about the same volume for underneath storage.Don't know how y'all do it up north, but in my fishing days there was never a question about whether there was enough space for beer and what had priority on the seating list. You either get another boat or un-invite someone :halo9:

jimnyc
02-13-2021, 03:15 PM
I love the chairs up front I call shotgun in advance! Don't know who else may be in the boat, but ask them how they prefer the back seating. :coffee:

I agree with the space saving and facing one another. So much easier to have a convo while on the way up the river. Sweet to have so much seating! And Psycho is surely gonna love having easier access to the enemy, or at least softer access!

Shotgun! https://i.imgur.com/U3w1mYY.png

Gunny
02-13-2021, 05:32 PM
I love the chairs up front I call shotgun in advance! Don't know who else may be in the boat, but ask them how they prefer the back seating. :coffee:

I agree with the space saving and facing one another. So much easier to have a convo while on the way up the river. Sweet to have so much seating! And Psycho is surely gonna love having easier access to the enemy, or at least softer access!

Shotgun! https://i.imgur.com/U3w1mYY.pngPerson with the queasiest gut needs to sit in the last seat aft anyway :puke3:

tailfins
02-13-2021, 06:02 PM
If you invite couples on to your craft, such a thing could cut down on marital spats from your guests.

Good points.

I know from experience that back-to-back seating is uncomfortable and awkward when trying to hold a conversation.

The bench seats are 38" wide, so easily can seat 2 andthe storage under them is always welcome.

Having a hell of a time trying to find American made seats - 90% of websites selling these styles of Marine seats are made by Wise - which is cheap Chinese junk according to reviews.