PDA

View Full Version : Senate acquits Trump

jimnyc
02-13-2021, 04:12 PM
---

Senate acquits former President Donald Trump in 57-43 vote on charge of inciting insurrection at U.S. Capitol

The Senate on Saturday acquitted former President Donald Trump in a 57-43 vote on the charge of inciting insurrection for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
Seven GOP Senators voted guilty. Democrats needed 17 Republicans to join them to convict Trump and hold a separate vote to bar him from running for office again.
Republicans who voted guilty were Sens. Richard Burr of North Carolina, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/13/senate-acquits-former-president-donald-trump-on-charge-of-inciting-insurrection-at-us-capitol-.html

Senate ACQUITS Donald Trump of inciting MAGA storming of the Capitol - with 57 senators voting to convict, not enough to meet 67-vote supermajority after his defense launches fiery attack on case against him

Senators voted after the conclusion of the trial Saturday
House manager Rep. Jamie Raskin asked to be able to depose Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler about she says Rep. Kevin McCarthy told her the day of the riot
The Senate than voted to grant the request to call witnesses
Five Republicans joined Democrats in advancing it
It set in motion furious negotiations, with both sides agreeing to admit a statement by Herrera Beutler
Mitch McConnell told fellow Republicans of his advance plans to vote to acquit
He already voted with 44 Senate Republicans that the post-presidency impeachment is not constitutional
Democrats were huddling on whether to call witnesses
GOP Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler described what Rep. Kevin McCarthy told her the day of the riot
'Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are,' she says Trump told McCarthy
McCarthy shot back, 'Who the f**k do you think you are talking to?' according to GOP lawmakers
Trump lawyers had faced questions about when he knew the Capitol was breached and what he did to protect it
Sen. Tuberville of Alabama said he told Trump that VP Mike Pence was being evacuated from the Senate
Trump minutes later tweeted to put pressure on Pence
'What did Trump know, and when did he know it?' asked Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse in calling for suspension of the trial
Jamie Raskin said Trump 'acted no better than a marauder and a member of that mob'
Trump lawyer delivered angry speech accusing Democrats of 'political vendetta'

President Donald Trump was acquitted in his Senate impeachment trial Saturday as the vast majority of Republicans held together against a charge that he incited the Capitol riot of January 6.

After a roll call vote of the Senate, 57 senators voted to convict, with 43 senators voting to acquit. It wasn't enough to meet the two-thirds threshold set out in the Constitution.

A total of seven Republicans voted to convict; two of them have announced they are retiring at the end of their terms.

The group included Sen. Richard Burr, who is retiring and who previously chaired the Senate Intelligence Committee during the Russia probe, and who voted 'guilty.' It also included Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who had appeared to waver and who voted earlier that the proceeding was constitutional.

Also voting 'guilty' were Republicans Mitt Romney, Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, Ben Sasse, and Pat Toomey, who is retiring.

It was a bipartisan vote, but well short of the 67 votes that would have been needed to convict, a bar that many pro-impeachment lawmakers believed was out of reach even before the proceedings began.

'He is hereby acquitted of the charge in said article,' said Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont after the votes were cast.

Rest - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9257497/Donald-Trump-ACQUITTED-impeachment-trial.html

jimnyc
02-13-2021, 04:29 PM
And a last parting jab from Trump. Likely written about a month ago and he's been biting on his tongue with it since then. :laugh:

It would have been more acceptable to the masses had he not tossed in the jabs, but the things in bold are true nonetheless. And much of it, Trump aside, needs mass fixing.

And Btw, I didn't comment on the starting post as I was in a rush to be first in getting the news out. I'm a dick like that sometimes. :thumb::laugh:

---

Trump Releases Statement Following Impeachment Acquittal

Former President Donald Trump has released a statement following his acquittal on an article of impeachment for “incitement of insurrection.”

Trump was found not guilty on Saturday.

“I want to first thank my team of dedicated lawyers and others for their tireless work upholding justice and defending truth,” the statement began. “My deepest thanks as well to all of the United States Senators and Members of Congress who stood proudly for the Constitution we all revere and for the sacred legal principals at the heart of our country.”

I want to first thank my team of dedicated lawyers and others for their tireless work upholding justice and defending truth.

My deepest thanks as well to all of the United States Senators and Members of Congress who stood proudly for the Constitution we all revere and for the sacred legal principles at the heart of our country.

Our cherished Constitutional Republic was founded on the impartial rule of law, the indispensable safeguard for our liberties, our rights and our freedoms.

It is a sad commentary on our times that one political party in America is given a free pass to denigrate the rule of law, defame law enforcement, cheer mobs, excuse rioters, and transform justice into a tool of political vengeance, and persecute, blacklist, cancel and suppress all people and viewpoints with whom or which they disagree. I always have, and always will, be a champion for the unwavering rule of law, the heroes of law enforcement, and the right of Americans to peacefully and honorably debate the issues of the day without malice and without hate.

This has been yet another phase of the greatest witch hunt in the history of our Country. No president has ever gone through anything like it, and it continues because our opponents cannot forget the almost 75 million people, the highest number ever for a sitting president, who voted for us just a few short months ago.

I also want to convey my gratitude to the millions of decent, hardworking, law-abiding, God-and-Country loving citizens who have bravely supported these important principles in these very difficult and challenging times.

Our historic, patriotic and beautiful movement to Make America Great Again has only just begun. In the months ahead I have much to share with you, and I look forward to continuing our incredible journey together to achieve American greatness for all of our people. There has never been anything like it!

We have so much work ahead of us, and soon we will emerge with a vision for a bright, radiant, and limitless American future.

Together there is nothing we cannot accomplish.

We remain one People, one family, and one glorious nation under God, and it’s our responsibility to preserve this magnificent inheritance for our children and for generations of Americans to come.

May God bless all of you, and may God forever bless the United States of America.

Rest - https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/02/breaking-trump-releases-statement-following-impeachment-acquittal/

Kathianne
02-13-2021, 04:46 PM
I am glad he was acquitted, mostly due to the fact that the divisions that brought forward farce and criminality of the first impeachment likely led to the recklessness of the administration's actions moving forward. If that first impeachment and the undermining of the FBI, DOJ, etc. had not occurred, no telling what would have happened if the behaviors leading up to the election and aftermath had happened. What struck me watching the arguments was the Trump team going on about how the House had used only one article, throwing it all into incitement, rather than enumerating the various components that were later argued by the House.

I also agreed with McConnell's remarks afterward regarding the Constitutionality of the impeachment as a venue to try this. He insinuated that criminal charges might apply to those that may be culpable beyond those already arrested from Capitol riot.

I'm still waiting for some GOP leader to denounce Trump the person, while giving credit to the policies he argued for and executed so successfully during his term in office.

jimnyc
02-13-2021, 05:17 PM
I am glad he was acquitted, mostly due to the fact that the divisions that brought forward farce and criminality of the first impeachment likely led to the recklessness of the administration's actions moving forward. If that first impeachment and the undermining of the FBI, DOJ, etc. had not occurred, no telling what would have happened if the behaviors leading up to the election and aftermath had happened. What struck me watching the arguments was the Trump team going on about how the House had used only one article, throwing it all into incitement, rather than enumerating the various components that were later argued by the House.

I also agreed with McConnell's remarks afterward regarding the Constitutionality of the impeachment as a venue to try this. He insinuated that criminal charges might apply to those that may be culpable beyond those already arrested from Capitol riot.

I'm still waiting for some GOP leader to denounce Trump the person, while giving credit to the policies he argued for and executed so successfully during his term in office.

I just didn't agree with this impeachment as I don't think it is constitutional, and I also hate it myself when certain precedents are set. And of course my biggest beef, which is having partisan politicians taking the job of the SC. IMO, in a perfect world you would have 9 justices sitting as silent jurors, and any questions of constitutionality will be handled by them. I know it'll never happen but just what I think.

Gunny
02-13-2021, 05:26 PM
That list of Republicans who voted with the Dems certainly comes as no surprise. Same old f-ing names :rolleyes:

Kathianne
02-13-2021, 05:37 PM
I just didn't agree with this impeachment as I don't think it is constitutional, and I also hate it myself when certain precedents are set. And of course my biggest beef, which is having partisan politicians taking the job of the SC. IMO, in a perfect world you would have 9 justices sitting as silent jurors, and any questions of constitutionality will be handled by them. I know it'll never happen but just what I think.

As I said, I agree with McConnell and you that the Senate part was unconstitutional. I actually think that was at least part of the reason Robert's took a pass. Impeachment is partisan by its very nature.

Whether or not the whole mess ends up in courts down the road probably depends more on Trump than anything else. His tweetlike response probably makes it more likely if it continues.

fj1200
02-13-2021, 05:41 PM

I think the process could be constitutional but I don't think the process we just went through was; especially without Roberts presiding.

That list of Republicans who voted with the Dems certainly comes as no surprise. Same old f-ing names :rolleyes:

Good on 'em. I can easily see the rationale for conviction.

icansayit
02-13-2021, 05:46 PM
As I said, I agree with McConnell and you that the Senate part was unconstrained. I actually think that was at least part of the reason Robert's took a pass. Impeachment is partisan by its very nature.

Whether or not the whole mess ends up in courts down the road probably depends more on Trump than anything else. His tweetlike response probably makes it more likely if it continues.

At no time was anyone willing to allow President Trump his RIGHT to defend himself. Trump has every right to do whatever he wants as FIRST...a citizen. And SECOND be permitted to enjoy EQUAL JUSTICE under the Law...which...HAS BLATANTLY BEEN DENIED by the DEMS in Congress and the SLEEPY GUY in the White House whom I SUSPECT....will be the NEXT TARGET of his NOT SO FRIENDLY SNEAKY DEMOCRATS who are still pissed HILLARY LOST.

icansayit
02-13-2021, 05:56 PM
I think the process could be constitutional but I don't think the process we just went through was; especially without Roberts presiding.

Good on 'em. I can easily see the rationale for conviction.

Until you decide to actually COMPREHEND what the Constitution really says.

Kathianne
02-13-2021, 05:58 PM
At no time was anyone willing to allow President Trump his RIGHT to defend himself. Trump has every right to do whatever he wants as FIRST...a citizen. And SECOND be permitted to enjoy EQUAL JUSTICE under the Law...which...HAS BLATANTLY BEEN DENIED by the DEMS in Congress and the SLEEPY GUY in the White House whom I SUSPECT....will be the NEXT TARGET of his NOT SO FRIENDLY SNEAKY DEMOCRATS who are still pissed HILLARY LOST.

Not sure what you're referring to; I already stated I thought the trial was improper. With that stated, he had a team of lawyers, he could have testified, and he was acquitted.

icansayit
02-13-2021, 06:25 PM
Not sure what you're referring to; I already stated I thought the trial was improper. With that stated, he had a team of lawyers, he could have testified, and he was acquitted.

I fully understand what you have said. Yes, he had a team of lawyers for the KANGAROO Court. But the President HAD NO NEED TO APPEAR. He knows the Constitution as well.

jimnyc
02-13-2021, 07:11 PM
As I said, I agree with McConnell and you that the Senate part was unconstitutional. I actually think that was at least part of the reason Robert's took a pass. Impeachment is partisan by its very nature.

I think further actions in the courts were pretty much guaranteed long before any thoughts of this impeachment. Outside of Washington... I have no doubt that the SDNY is gunning for him.

Kathianne
02-13-2021, 08:31 PM
I think further actions in the courts were pretty much guaranteed long before any thoughts of this impeachment. Outside of Washington... I have no doubt that the SDNY is gunning for him.

I'm thinking more DOJ, the impeachment issues investigated. There's no double jeopardy issue.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-13-2021, 09:02 PM

There was not a damn thing Constitutional about what the ffing dem vermin just tried to do to Trump.

ANYBODY that says there is , are either deliberately lying, infinitely blinded/delusional or else are as ffing insane as are the dem leadership and the majority of its ignorant-ass members.--Tyr

Gunny
02-13-2021, 11:10 PM

Good on 'em. I can easily see the rationale for conviction.I don't. I got a nice list of grievances against Trump this past year, but inciting a mob to attack the Capitol is not one of them.

When the bought and paid for by special interest enemy is in lockstep, another time would be awesome to settle inter-party pissing contests. This whole impeachment was a sham to disqualify Trump from running for President again. I'm a little sick and tired of people pretending what's right in front of their faces isn't.

This is all just pure bullshit.

Flavius
02-13-2021, 11:50 PM
---

Senate acquits former President Donald Trump in 57-43 vote on charge of inciting insurrection at U.S. Capitol

The Senate on Saturday acquitted former President Donald Trump in a 57-43 vote on the charge of inciting insurrection for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.
Seven GOP Senators voted guilty. Democrats needed 17 Republicans to join them to convict Trump and hold a separate vote to bar him from running for office again.
Republicans who voted guilty were Sens. Richard Burr of North Carolina, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/13/senate-acquits-former-president-donald-trump-on-charge-of-inciting-insurrection-at-us-capitol-.html

Senate ACQUITS Donald Trump of inciting MAGA storming of the Capitol - with 57 senators voting to convict, not enough to meet 67-vote supermajority after his defense launches fiery attack on case against him

Senators voted after the conclusion of the trial Saturday
House manager Rep. Jamie Raskin asked to be able to depose Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler about she says Rep. Kevin McCarthy told her the day of the riot
The Senate than voted to grant the request to call witnesses
Five Republicans joined Democrats in advancing it
It set in motion furious negotiations, with both sides agreeing to admit a statement by Herrera Beutler
Mitch McConnell told fellow Republicans of his advance plans to vote to acquit
He already voted with 44 Senate Republicans that the post-presidency impeachment is not constitutional
Democrats were huddling on whether to call witnesses
GOP Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler described what Rep. Kevin McCarthy told her the day of the riot
'Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are,' she says Trump told McCarthy
McCarthy shot back, 'Who the f**k do you think you are talking to?' according to GOP lawmakers
Trump lawyers had faced questions about when he knew the Capitol was breached and what he did to protect it
Sen. Tuberville of Alabama said he told Trump that VP Mike Pence was being evacuated from the Senate
Trump minutes later tweeted to put pressure on Pence
'What did Trump know, and when did he know it?' asked Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse in calling for suspension of the trial
Jamie Raskin said Trump 'acted no better than a marauder and a member of that mob'
Trump lawyer delivered angry speech accusing Democrats of 'political vendetta'

President Donald Trump was acquitted in his Senate impeachment trial Saturday as the vast majority of Republicans held together against a charge that he incited the Capitol riot of January 6.

After a roll call vote of the Senate, 57 senators voted to convict, with 43 senators voting to acquit. It wasn't enough to meet the two-thirds threshold set out in the Constitution.

A total of seven Republicans voted to convict; two of them have announced they are retiring at the end of their terms.

The group included Sen. Richard Burr, who is retiring and who previously chaired the Senate Intelligence Committee during the Russia probe, and who voted 'guilty.' It also included Sen. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, who had appeared to waver and who voted earlier that the proceeding was constitutional.

Also voting 'guilty' were Republicans Mitt Romney, Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, Ben Sasse, and Pat Toomey, who is retiring.

It was a bipartisan vote, but well short of the 67 votes that would have been needed to convict, a bar that many pro-impeachment lawmakers believed was out of reach even before the proceedings began.

'He is hereby acquitted of the charge in said article,' said Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont after the votes were cast.

Rest - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9257497/Donald-Trump-ACQUITTED-impeachment-trial.html

2nd badge of honor. How do you know you are making progress against (wink, wink) progressives (who have not had an original idea since Mao Tse-tung was in diapers)? They attack you and attempt to destroy you by any means, as their political hero (Saul Alinsky) proclaimed.....any means to an end (there are no moral restraints) even if you have to shake hands with the devil as its better to rule in hell than serve in Heaven.

The Marxist left and their friends (Big Banking Families) in the NWO have demonstrated..........they have thrown everything they have at the Teflon Don (from murder to stealing elections and blackmailing corrupt immoral judges and news organizations) and the Don still stands as a Free Man fighting against the evil that is leftism (who will win a 2nd term once everyone begins enjoying the demwit lefts petro dollar fake economy (anyone notice how fuel has went from about 1.80 a gallon to close to 3 bucks a gallon in less than a month of (wink, wink) progressive leadership?

Get ready for 4 years of war mongering around the world....importing foreign controlled oil.....Welfare for 50% of the US population, and FAT CAT Wall Street supervision of all drugs, insurance and healthcare. You asked for it.......AGAIN, now we must all sleep on this elitist bed as they tell everyone how smart they are and how stupid the peons workers are......................

fj1200
02-14-2021, 09:43 AM

When someone wants to discuss it not passively-aggressively there's a thread about it. But I suppose it's easier for some to just hide from views that make them think. :dunno:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-14-2021, 09:45 AM
2nd badge of honor. How do you know you are making progress against (wink, wink) progressives (who have not had an original idea since Mao Tse-tung was in diapers)? They attack you and attempt to destroy you by any means, as their political hero (Saul Alinsky) proclaimed.....any means to an end (there are no moral restraints) even if you have to shake hands with the devil as its better to rule in hell than serve in Heaven.

The Marxist left and their friends (Big Banking Families) in the NWO have demonstrated..........they have thrown everything they have at the Teflon Don (from murder to stealing elections and blackmailing corrupt immoral judges and news organizations) and the Don still stands as a Free Man fighting against the evil that is leftism (who will win a 2nd term once everyone begins enjoying the demwit lefts petro dollar fake economy (anyone notice how fuel has went from about 1.80 a gallon to close to 3 bucks a gallon in less than a month of (wink, wink) progressive leadership?

Get ready for 4 years of war mongering around the world....importing foreign controlled oil.....Welfare for 50% of the US population, and FAT CAT Wall Street supervision of all drugs, insurance and healthcare. You asked for it.......AGAIN, now we must all sleep on this elitist bed as they tell everyone how smart they are and how stupid the peons workers are......................

Dead on the money accurate.
And that is exactly why this election was stolen.
That is why --SO MANY-- worked together as a cohesive unit to engineer the steal, to cover the steal up- to further attempt to destroy Trump and to immediately through the globalist puppet --BIDEN-- begin to implement so many changes that are absolutely disastrous for this nation- our economy --our security and our Constitutional freedoms! The rapidly increasing gas prices are a clear sign of what is to by design come to us. As it is the rest of the world(the globalists) working as a unit to effect these changes. They own the ffing -DEM PARTY. They--OWN-these filthy bunch of career traitors/criminals. They own most of the American media. They own most of Hollywood.
So we get to the big question--
exactly what is a true American, a true patriot, a citizen that wants the freedoms this nation once had and the rights we still enjoy to remain intact?

Answer-- First-- limited as it may be and even becoming less so daily-- Speak out AGAINST THIS TYRANNY-THIS TREASON, THIS TRAITOROUS PARTY AND ITS ALLIES..
After that who knows.....
Myself, I see only further decay, further destruction, further tyranny and further power given unto this totally evil creatures....
As -THEY-- parade under the false cloaks they now wear..
As these ffing vermin continue the path of destruction they so desire.
As they steer the ignorant and blinded citizens to vote for them , as they buy 95% of one group's votes.
As THEY- laugh at the citizens that are not blinded and those that speak the truth about them....

What we see going on now- is the exactly same kind of blindness that gave rise to the Nazi party and its murderous path of power..
And that which we see is inherent in and wedded to the Dem party which is totally owned by the globalists.
A solid gold fact.
TRUTH IS THE TRUTH, DESPITE THE COLD, HARD REALITY THAT IT MAY PROJECT..... --Tyr

fj1200
02-14-2021, 09:54 AM
I don't. I got a nice list of grievances against Trump this past year, but inciting a mob to attack the Capitol is not one of them.

When the bought and paid for by special interest enemy is in lockstep, another time would be awesome to settle inter-party pissing contests. This whole impeachment was a sham to disqualify Trump from running for President again. I'm a little sick and tired of people pretending what's right in front of their faces isn't.

There's plenty of rationale behind is petty behavior. But I agree that the democrat actions were to transparent to be taken seriously.

KarlMarx
02-14-2021, 10:03 AM
I have an idea. For those seven Republican Senators, who voted to convict. Since they’ve turned into Democrats in all but name, the GOP should not only seek to primary them, but withdraw all support,
including monetary, should any seek to run for office

Elections have consequences, it’s time for Romney.
, Collins, and the rest to face them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
02-14-2021, 10:26 AM
I don't. I got a nice list of grievances against Trump this past year, but inciting a mob to attack the Capitol is not one of them.

""
I'm a little sick and tired of people pretending what's right in front of their faces isn't. ""

Yet many do that.
Some that are --in hiding of their true colors-- ride that train.
And that to me makes me even more wishful to be able to face those creatures face to face and deliver some-education-- unto such devious, deluded and obnoxious little ffing vermin..
Which does ever so definitely points directly to me -- "not being a gentle soul".....

Especially so in regards to that type of ffing vermin....-- :mad::mad::mad:
The kind that I can spot, can smell, from about a MILE AWAY..-Tyr

icansayit
02-14-2021, 03:39 PM
I have an idea. For those seven Republican Senators, who voted to convict. Since they’ve turned into Democrats in all but name, the GOP should not only seek to primary them, but withdraw all support,

It's called "Getting Primaried". When their terms are finished. SO ARE THEY!:salute:

fj1200
02-14-2021, 11:33 PM
7 patriots. Could have used 9 more. trump will likely be disqualified from running again anyway after he's convicted in NY of something.

SassyLady
02-14-2021, 11:38 PM

2 of them already said they're not running again. Didn't Collins just get reelected. I think most of them were censured by their state GOP party ... like Cheney was.

fj1200
02-14-2021, 11:44 PM
2 of them already said they're not running again. Didn't Collins just get reelected. I think most of them were censured by their state GOP party ... like Cheney was.

I know Burr is not running again in '22 but not sure any others. Yes Collins just won again. IIRC they all voted for Comey-Barrett.

SassyLady
02-14-2021, 11:56 PM
I know Burr is not running again in '22 but not sure any others. Yes Collins just won again. IIRC they all voted for Comey-Barrett.

Burr and Toomey retiring in 2022. Sasse and Collins just reelected.