PDA

View Full Version : Injured migrants say Border Patrol sent them back to Mexico

jimnyc
02-15-2021, 03:27 PM
I guess I'm supposed to feel sorry for them? I don't. They traveled all the way to our border knowing their was a wall preventing them from entering. They knew it was illegal to do so. They CHOSE to climb the wall anyway and as a result they injured themselves.

I don't know how the laws work and if bringing them to aid while in the US grants them anything or not. If so, it needs to be fixed. The result should be that if agents find someone injured to the point they are incapacitated, they should be brought for front line assistance and stabilized. Once stabilized, grant them a fond adios.

---

Injured migrants say Border Patrol sent them back to Mexico after they fell off Trump’s wall

PALOMAS, Mexico – To escape the lingering, devastating effects of two hurricanes and the reach of organized crime, Pedro Gomez fled Guatemala in January and headed north, looking for hope.

Thousands of miles south, Jhon Jairo Ushca Alcoser, too, left his country, Ecuador, fleeing political unrest and the economic fallout of a global pandemic that’s ravaged his nation.

For both men, it seemed as if nothing would stand in the way of their cherished dream – certainly not deserts, rivers, unscrupulous smugglers, or the infamous wall they had heard so much about. But then that same wall nearly crippled them. And they say the migra -- the U.S. Border Patrol -- then “dumped us in Mexico like garbage, a piece of trash,” said Pedro Gomez, 37. They say agents who discovered them injured sent them back across the border rather than providing them medical care on American soil.

“When I fell off the wall, my dream crashed too,” said Ushca Alcoser, 25, who this week shared his story from a bunk bed a few feet away from Gomez, inside a migrant shelter in this desolate border town across from Columbus, New Mexico. Ushca Alcoser said his complaints to agents of his pain “fell on deaf ears.”

The men’s perilous journey underscores the rising desperation among immigrants in trying to cross into the United States, immigrant rights advocates say, and raises questions about the protocols used by the Border Patrol to treat injured migrants and the overall effectiveness of the border wall.

After being asked about the men’s cases and how the Border Patrol handles injured migrants, the agency released a statement attributed to El Paso Sector Border Patrol Chief Gloria Chavez that read, in part: “We routinely encounter injured people on the border, most of which are individuals that have entered the country illegally. When it is apparent that someone is hurt we will administer first aid and request assistance as needed.”

The statement said that the response “may include a Border Patrol agent trained and certified as an EMT; or possibly an ambulance service depending on the severity and complexity of the injury” and, if necessary, an agent accompanying and monitoring “the progress at the medical facility until they are cleared and released for processing.”

It’s not clear why these injured migrants were deported to Mexico, even after both said they told agents they couldn’t walk.

“I couldn’t even get up, so I crawled inside the migra vehicle,” said Gomez, after falling off the wall in late January. At one point, he says he was told he was going to be taken to a U.S. hospital, but instead was dropped off at the border crossing nearly 90 miles from where he fell off the wall near El Paso. His ankles are broken ankles and he cannot walk.

Rest - https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2021/02/14/injured-migrants-say-border-patrol-sent-them-back-to-mexico-after-they-fell-off-trumps-wall/