PDA

View Full Version : Does this make anyone else's blood boil?

-Cp
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Mexican curriculum in Oregon schools stirs debate

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_091907_education_mexican_curriculum_.ede64566. html

Here's a FREAKIN NOVEL IDEA! - HOW ABOUT MAKE THOSE KIDS FIRST LEARN ENGLISH!?!??!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h260/beck72761/alienhiliary.gif

Joe Steel
09-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Mexican curriculum in Oregon schools stirs debate

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_091907_education_mexican_curriculum_.ede64566. html

Here's a FREAKIN NOVEL IDEA! - HOW ABOUT MAKE THOSE KIDS FIRST LEARN ENGLISH!?!??!

Not mine.

I like the idea of educating kids.

AFbombloader
09-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Not mine.

I don't think there is anyone who does not like the idea of educating kids. The real issue is, why do they need to get the material from Mexoco. I agree that they should learn English. For hundreds of years, people came into this country, and one of thefirst things they did was try to learn the language. The Poles and Italians and Germans and whatever other nationality all learned to speak and read our language. Why should the Mexicans be any different?

AF:salute:

Joe Steel
09-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't think there is anyone who does not like the idea of educating kids. The real issue is, why do they need to get the material from Mexoco. I agree that they should learn English. For hundreds of years, people came into this country, and one of thefirst things they did was try to learn the language. The Poles and Italians and Germans and whatever other nationality all learned to speak and read our language. Why should the Mexicans be any different?

My grandparents immigrated to the U. S. when they were very young and lived a long life. I never could understand them because their English was so bad. My mother had to translate. Not all the groups you mentioned were totally and completely assimilated.

Abbey Marie
09-22-2007, 11:50 AM
My grandparents immigrated to the U. S. when they were very young and lived a long life. I never could understand them because their English was so bad. My mother had to translate. Not all the groups you mentioned were totally and completely assimilated.

Elderly immigrants not speaking English, is a far cry from kids not learning it in school.

Joe Steel
09-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Elderly immigrants not speaking English, is a far cry from kids not learning it in school.

Education is more important than assimilation. Teach them how to achieve their goals and they will teach themselves the language.

Abbey Marie
09-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Education is more important than assimilation. Teach them how to achieve their goals and they will teach themselves the language.

They won't succeed in this country without strong English language skills, so that education won't go too far.

AFbombloader
09-22-2007, 12:42 PM

My point was that in the past, people tried to learn. That is what is lacking from the situation today. The Mexicans are not even trying to learn. I didn't mention anything about past groups assimilating. It was not the point of my post. The past immigrants tried to learn the language, and their offspring did learn the language. The Mexicans are not. That is my point.

Joan
09-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I am in total agreement that English should be taught in schools. When I was growing up (in the dark ages) other languages were taken as electives in High School - we had choices between Spanish, German, Latin, Chinese etc. But to encourage AMERICAN children to learn a foreign language at this young age to me is crazy!! What they should do is have an after school program for the Mexican and Spanish children so they can learn to speak ENGLISH!

manu1959
09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
if you want to live in america.....learn the language......

-Cp
09-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Not mine.

It's sure sad when cousins marry...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h260/beck72761/alienhiliary.gif

manu1959
09-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Not mine.

shall we teach them christianity then?