PDA

View Full Version : Web hacks reveal inner workings of GAB web site

gabosaurus
03-11-2021, 03:24 PM
Do you post on the GAB site? Better increase your web security. Hackers broke into the data base and revealed everything. -------------> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/gab-hack-neo-nazis-qanon-conspiracy-theories

jimnyc
03-11-2021, 07:18 PM
Nothing to increase or do really, simply change your password. And if it happens to be a password you share on many sites - well, then you have work to do and go change them all.

SassyLady
03-12-2021, 01:31 AM
Do you post on the GAB site? Better increase your web security. Hackers broke into the data base and revealed everything. -------------> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/11/gab-hack-neo-nazis-qanon-conspiracy-theories

They don't collect personal info. I changed my password.

Why are you so concerned?

LongTermGuy
03-14-2021, 11:25 PM
"ahhhh...yes...there she is"
https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/man-in-front-of-computer-dark-night-room-with-smoke-picture-id862022082?k=6&m=862022082&s=612x612&w=0&h=UR69-wLYAGRey79P4Q5UiIyVZBnYHtcdvP8dJ6gWhWQ=

"Dont worry Gabby...they will never find you or your info..unless you been careless...relax...have a glass of wine..."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwfJcAhVEAUnl1k?format=jpg&name=medium

gabosaurus
03-15-2021, 11:08 AM
They don't collect personal info. I changed my password. Why are you so concerned? I am not concerned at all. I just posted a story I thought would interest people. Unless you post anonymously, web sites do have your personal information.

jimnyc
03-15-2021, 04:24 PM
I am not concerned at all. I just posted a story I thought would interest people. Unless you post anonymously, web sites do have your personal information.

It's definitely a wise story to be aware of and discussed.

But I disagree with the latter portion. It all depends. No way I offer any more than completely necessary. They will know my IP address, most of the time. They will know my browser type. Then they will know only what I put into the information boxes.

A lot of sites, most sites, I join with one of a few generic email addresses I use, this way no name or identifying information within. Often I will not use my real name. They're only going to get so much, mainly what I control and decided to offer.

Yes, a lot of folks will run in head first with an email with their name in it, use their real name to join and fill their accounts with all kinds of personal information. And then communicate publicly a ton, and then communicate in private a ton with even more personal info - and then don't maintain/encrypt/delete any of that information.

But in this case really the only thing that matters most likely is your username and password, and then more so if it's a username and password that you may use all over the place. -- and even then, they would then need to know which other places perhaps to try with those details.

And lastly, it IS something folks should be aware of, not just the news, but aware of what they do and how to better protect themselves. ** Never put too much out there if you can. Maintain what is there in addition if you can. Try not to use easy passwords, and try not to use repetitive passwords.

*** I HIGHLY recommend "Lastpass" to manage, maintain and remember all of them. If you're like me and have a lot of accounts, it's the best way to go. And there are alternatives to lastpass as well.

gabosaurus
03-15-2021, 06:19 PM
Yes, a lot of folks will run in head first with an email with their name in it, use their real name to join and fill their accounts with all kinds of personal information. And then communicate publicly a ton, and then communicate in private a ton with even more personal info - and then don't maintain/encrypt/delete any of that information. But in this case really the only thing that matters most likely is your username and password, and then more so if it's a username and password that you may use all over the place. -- and even then, they would then need to know which other places perhaps to try with those details. And lastly, it IS something folks should be aware of, not just the news, but aware of what they do and how to better protect themselves. ** Never put too much out there if you can. Maintain what is there in addition if you can. Try not to use easy passwords, and try not to use repetitive passwords. *** I HIGHLY recommend "Lastpass" to manage, maintain and remember all of them. If you're like me and have a lot of accounts, it's the best way to go. And there are alternatives to lastpass as well. My daughter obviously thinks the same way as you. She monitors numerous discussion forums, far left to far right, as part of her study of online media. I believe she has multiple identities on GAB as well as a few other conservatives sites. Each registered from a different e-mail account and accessed through a different server. One of her media relations instructors told her "never offer any more information than you made public."

jimnyc
03-16-2021, 12:30 PM
My daughter obviously thinks the same way as you. She monitors numerous discussion forums, far left to far right, as part of her study of online media. I believe she has multiple identities on GAB as well as a few other conservatives sites. Each registered from a different e-mail account and accessed through a different server. One of her media relations instructors told her "never offer any more information than you made public."

I hope she's not just practicing anonymity on conservative sites only!

It's all fine and dandy to utilize being anonymous while online. I would hope she's mostly doing so on ALL sites. Or not doing so on conservative sites to troll...

There's very few sites where folks should identify themselves, and share valuable information. For example, when banking it's full on identification. Many services are similar. Other sites, not so.

But everyone is different for different reasons, so take it for what it's worth.

gabosaurus
03-16-2021, 04:00 PM
I hope she's not just practicing anonymity on conservative sites only! It's all fine and dandy to utilize being anonymous while online. I would hope she's mostly doing so on ALL sites. Or not doing so on conservative sites to troll... There's very few sites where folks should identify themselves, and share valuable information. For example, when banking it's full on identification. Many services are similar. Other sites, not so. But everyone is different for different reasons, so take it for what it's worth. I am guessing that Danielle is anonymous on all web sites. And I doubt she is trolling, since you need to positively contribute to a forum in order to fully study it. My only rule is that she is not allowed to participate in this one.