PDA

View Full Version : More allegations against Cuomo

jimnyc
03-12-2021, 12:48 PM
Must be lovely to work with him. :rolleyes: Not a whole lot different than what we see from Fredo on and off CNN.

---

New York Reports New Allegations of Inappropriate Behavior by Andrew Cuomo

In a cover story published by New York Friday, Rebecca Traister reports new allegations of inappropriate behavior by New York governor Andrew Cuomo, who has already been accused of misconduct by six women, including a former aide who alleges he groped her in private late last year, and now faces an impeachment inquiry.

Through interviews with more than 30 women who have worked or interacted with Cuomo, Traister finds that bullying was a defining element of his management style: “It’s an understanding of political power in which ruthlessness is read as greatness, abuse as passion,” she writes. Traister details the connections between his reported behavior and broader allegations of administration impropriety — including an alleged cover-up of nursing-home deaths during the pandemic. As one former staffer told her, “The same attitude that emboldens you to target a 25-year-old also emboldens you to scrub a nursing-home report.”

Another former staffer, Kaitlin, who asked that her last name not be published, described meeting the governor while working at a fundraiser in 2016. When they were introduced, she says Cuomo grabbed her “in a kind of dance pose” as a photographer took a picture. She recalled thinking, “This is the weirdest interaction I’ve ever had in my life. I was like, Don’t touch me. Everybody was watching.” The same week, she received a voice-mail from Cuomo’s office requesting that she interview for a job, though she never gave his office her contact information. “We all knew that this was only because of what I looked like,” Kaitlin told New York. “Why else would you ask someone to come in two days after you had a two-minute interaction at a party?”

Kaitlin says she was frequently pressured to dress expensively during her time in the Cuomo administration. “I did what I could with my clothes,” she said, “and it wasn’t good enough for them.” On some mornings when Cuomo started his day early, he would ask her if she “‘decided not to get ready today?’” It was clear to Kaitlin what he was doing. “I’d think, You’re such an asshole; you know you left early so I didn’t have time.” Her experience was not an outlier: Other women who worked in Cuomo’s office told New York that female aides were consistently told to dress up, and some were explicitly told by senior staff that they had to wear high heels whenever the governor was around (although Cuomo’s office denies this). Cuomo’s recruitment process also was not isolated: Kaitlin remembered that early in her tenure, he asked aides at a staff meeting to find a young woman he’d met at a party the previous night for a potential job.

In a separate article, journalist Jessica Bakeman, who covered the New York statehouse, describes experiencing a pattern of touching and remarks by Cuomo that she believes was intended to make her uncomfortable. “It’s not that Cuomo spares men in his orbit from his trademark bullying and demeaning behavior,” Bakeman writes. “But the way he bullies and demeans women is different.”

Rest - https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/03/new-allegations-of-inappropriate-behavior-by-andrew-cuomo.html

Multiple NY congressional members call on Cuomo to resign

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — Multiple members of New York’s congressional delegation called Friday on Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign in the wake of mounting allegations of sexual harassment and an allegation of groping, as well as scrutiny over his administration’s reporting of COVID-19 deaths among nursing home residents.

The Democratic governor has denied he ever touched anyone inappropriately, and has said he’s sorry if he ever made anyone uncomfortable.

But a majority of state lawmakers are calling on him to resign, and more than half of New York’s Democratic congressional members have joined those calls. On Friday, U.S. Reps. Jerry Nadler, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Jamaal Bowman, Mondaire Jones, Nydia Velazquez, Adriano Espaillat, Carolyn Maloney, Grace Meng, Antonio Delgado, Brian Higgins, Yvette Clarke pushed for Cuomo’s resignation, joining Kathleen Rice, who called for Cuomo’s resignation previously.

Other Republicans in New York’s Congressional delegation previously called for Cuomo’s resignation, including Nicole Malliotakis, Elise Stefanik, Claudia Tenney and Lee Zeldin.

Nadler said Cuomo has lost the confidence of New Yorkers.

“The repeated accusations against the governor, and the manner in which he has responded to them, have made it impossible for him to continue to govern at this point,” Nadler said.

The delegation also pointed to sweeping criticism of Cuomo for keeping secret how many nursing home residents died of COVID-19 for months. The governor has claimed his administration had to verify deaths of residents at hospitals, but critics question why that hasn’t held up the release of data in other states.

“After two accounts of sexual assault, four accounts of harassment, the Attorney General’s investigation finding the Governor’s admin hid nursing home data from the legislature and public, we agree with the 55+ members of the New York State legislature that the Governor must resign,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted.

Rest - https://apnews.com/article/us-news-new-york-andrew-cuomo-bd4c3889049fa84c16da5a065b1ff260

jimnyc
03-12-2021, 12:55 PM
And more...

---

How much longer can Andrew Cuomo hang on?

He was a self-styled pandemic hero, purporting to fill a leadership void left by Donald Trump. Even as that myth began to crumble, he still seemed unlikely to lose his grip on power. But a new misconduct allegation, one that has reportedly been referred to Albany police, has put Andrew Cuomo’s governorship in even greater peril, with a majority of New York state legislators calling for his resignation, and Democrats opening an impeachment investigation into the man who had been, just last summer, a party star. “The reports of accusations concerning the governor are serious,” Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie said in a statement authorizing Judiciary Chair Charles Lavine’s probe Thursday. “I have the utmost faith that Assemblymember Lavine and the members of the committee will conduct an expeditious, full and thorough investigation.”

Cuomo has been at the center of two massive scandals—one for apparently covering up the real toll of COVID-19 on New York nursing home residents, and one for alleged sexual harassment and misconduct. As he faced scrutiny from New York Attorney General Leticia James and others over nursing home deaths, several women came forward to accuse the governor of unwanted advances and inappropriate behavior. He denied wrongdoing, vowing not to resign and digging in his heels. But an explosive new accusation this week may have changed the calculus: A current aide to Cuomo told the Albany Times-Union that he summoned her to the executive mansion in late 2020 and groped her underneath her blouse in the second-floor residence. The allegation, the most serious to date, has been referred to Albany police, marking the first time an accusation against Cuomo has resulted in potential legal exposure. As in the other alleged incidents, Cuomo has adamantly denied the accusation. “I have never done anything like this,” he said.

But the new allegation opened the floodgates wider. The chorus of state lawmakers demanding his resignation grew to more than 120. “All of us are extremely disappointed,” Democratic Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther told the Associated Press. “I think there’s no room in the world right now for that kind of behavior.” It also triggered the impeachment investigation and is yet another item on Tish James’ radar. “Our investigation will continue,” the AG said.

Rest - https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/03/how-much-longer-can-andrew-cuomo-hang-on-impeachment

Resignation demands grow as police get Cuomo groping report

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s grip on power appeared increasingly threatened Thursday as a majority of state legislators called for his resignation, Democrats launched an impeachment investigation and police in the state capital said they stood ready to investigate a groping allegation.

The firestorm around the Democrat grew a day after the Times Union of Albany reported that an unidentified aide had claimed Cuomo reached under her shirt and fondled her at his official residence late last year.

The woman hasn’t filed a criminal complaint, but a lawyer for the governor said Thursday that the state had reported the allegation to the Albany Police Department after the woman involved declined to do so herself.

“In this case the person is represented by counsel and when counsel confirmed the client did not want to make a report, the state notified the police department and gave them the attorney’s information,” said Beth Garvey, the governor’s acting counsel.

Rest - https://apnews.com/article/dozens-democrats-demand-andrew-cuomo-resignation-71adbd6f2420a4dc71856428f3663857

Gov. Andrew Cuomo Aides Called Former Staffers to Discredit Accuser

In the days after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was first accused of sexual harassment by a former aide, the governor’s office called at least six former employees either to find out if they had heard from the accuser or to glean information about her in conversations that some said they saw as attempts to intimidate them.

Some of the people who received the calls said they hadn’t heard from the administration in months before getting the call about the accuser. One said a caller encouraged them to give reporters any information discrediting the accuser, Lindsey Boylan, who worked as an economic adviser for the Cuomo administration between 2015 and 2018.

The calls were made by current administration officials and former aides who are still close to the governor’s office, according to several recipients. The outreach came at the behest of Melissa DeRosa, the governor’s top aide, according to people familiar with the effort.

“I felt intimidated, and I felt bewildered,” said Ana Liss, a former aide to the governor who received one of the calls.

Rest - https://www.wsj.com/articles/andrew-cuomo-aides-called-former-staffers-to-discredit-accuser-11615512363

Kathianne
03-12-2021, 01:14 PM
Still listening to Cuomo at this time. He will NOT resign. 'Elected by the people, not politicians.'

National figures including the lovely AOC and Nadler are calling for his resignation. Majority of the state assembly are now calling for his resignation. The White House is distancing from him. How long will he last?

Gunny
03-12-2021, 02:13 PM
Still listening to Cuomo at this time. He will NOT resign. 'Elected by the people, not politicians.'

National figures including the lovely AOC and Nadler are calling for his resignation. Majority of the state assembly are now calling for his resignation. The White House is distancing from him. How long will he last?Have to wonder who or what he thinks is going to save him?

jimnyc
03-12-2021, 02:40 PM

National figures including the lovely AOC and Nadler are calling for his resignation. Majority of the state assembly are now calling for his resignation. The White House is distancing from him. How long will he last?

And he is right. I hate when all kinds of never heard before accusations pop up out of nowhere. But it's usually when someone is running, not when they are solidly in charge. So I don't believe in instantly giving in to demands, but when enough circumstantial exists, then things must get investigated. And then, depending on the facts and what else the investigation pans out... if bad enough he should resign, and if he refuses, then they should go for impeachment. But if nothing pans out, and there is a lack of evidence, and/or other stories start to fall apart, then that must be taken into account as well.

But that's just the accusations. Then we have the deaths, which we KNOW happened, it's just how many for sure, and how much he lied. Then 3rd, is him threatening another politician and his career, which needs further investigation. And that one sounds solid as well.

So it's either resignation or impeachment - or somehow all of these accusations fall apart, the deaths and lies never happened, and then then Kim somehow claims he was mistaken and never threatened. I don't see any of that happening.

LongTermGuy
03-13-2021, 05:22 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwYNE6TXMAAFBLg?format=jpg&name=large

Abbey Marie
03-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Interesting how during the Bill Clinton allegations and subsequent impeachment proceedings, many, many, Dems’ mantra was, “ It’s just about sex”, and has nothing to do with governing. Of course with Cuomo, there is the much more serious (to me) coverup of nursing home deaths. But we can see how the sexual allegations have oodles more traction with the liberal media than the coverup did.

Also interesting to me is how “Kaitlin” claims Cuomo made her uncomfortable at that event when he grabbed her for a photo op, yet she subsequently took a job on his staff when offered. Even knowing, as she admits, that it was weird and only because of how she looked. Remember Anita Hill, anyone?

tailfins
03-15-2021, 10:56 AM
This most disturbing thing about Governor COVID's sex scandal is that his REAL crime, his hand in nursing home deaths isn't getting much coverage. Let's hope that we still live in a society where negligent homicide is worse than sexual harassment.

LongTermGuy
03-15-2021, 02:57 PM
Families of NY nursing home coronavirus victims say Cuomo sex scandal shouldn't overshadow seniors' deaths

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-cuomo-nursing-home-deaths-families-sexual-harassment (https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-cuomo-nursing-home-deaths-families-sexual-harassment)