PDA

View Full Version : Floyd family agrees to $27M settlement amidst ex-cop's trial.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-12-2021, 11:12 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/floyd-family-agrees-to-27m-settlement-amidst-ex-cop-s-trial/ar-BB1evmnE?ocid=msedgntp

Floyd family agrees to $27M settlement amidst ex-cop's trial
By STEVE KARNOWSKI and AMY FORLITI, Associated Press - Yesterday 9:00 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The city of Minneapolis on Friday agreed to pay $27 million to settle a civil lawsuit from George Floyd’s family over the Black man’s death in police custody, as jury selection continued in a former officer’s murder trial.

Council members met privately to discuss the settlement, then returned to public session for a unanimous vote in support of the massive payout. It easily surpassed the $20 million the city approved two years ago to the family of a white woman killed by a police officer.

Floyd family attorney Ben Crump called it the largest pretrial settlement ever for a civil rights claim, and thanked city leaders for “showing you care about George Floyd.”

“It’s going to be a long journey to justice. This is just one step on the journey to justice," Crump said. “This makes a statement that George Floyd deserved better than what we witnessed on May 25, 2020, that George Floyd’s life mattered, and that by extension, Black lives matter.”

“Even though my brother is not here, he's here with me in my heart,” Philonise Floyd said. “If I could get him back, I would give all this back."

L. Chris Stewart, another attorney who worked with the family, said the size of the settlement "changes evaluations and civil rights for a Black person when they die.”

“And what happens is that trickles down to decisions in the communities across this country. When there is a city council or a mayor deciding, 'Oh, should we get rid of no-knock warrants, should we get rid of chokeholds, do we want to change these policies?’ They have 27 million reasons now why they should. And that will make decisions happen. That will make accountability happen.”

Well, seems to be an admitting of guilt and wrong doing.-Tyr

Gunny
03-13-2021, 03:58 PM
Well, seems to be an admitting of guilt and wrong doing.-TyrNot sure there was any doubt. The cop should be put under the prison. I don't agree with paying the family for damages. No way was Floyd worth or going to be worth $1M much less $27M.

jimnyc
03-13-2021, 05:22 PM

I won't and couldn't defend Chauvin. His technique kneeling on the neck was widely known, but there has to come a point that subduing a perpetrator and his health and well being. He didn't seem to have a concern in the slightest for the latter. So so many things he could have done better, or differently, that may not have resulted in Floyd's death.

The medical examiner stated that Floyd had a fatal amount of fentanyl in his system.

Many think that between the fentanyl and being scared shitless, then breathing issues on top of that, and he had a heart attack.

He had a crack pipe in his pocket. In addition to the fatal amount of fentanyl, he also had methamphetamine in his body along with the crack. Also had marijuana in his system.

On top of all of that he also had covid-19. And prior to all of this he had heart disease & hypertension.

Were any one of these things responsible for his death? 'Maybe' down the line the fentanyl could have taken him out like so many others, but not right then.

But most likely a combination of the drugs, or the underlying health conditions, exacerbated by the overall stress & extreme breathing issues from having a knee dug into his neck for 9 minutes. And was the technique alone what killed him? Was this technique alone something to be charged with murder as a result of use of this technique? It was bad, but a widely used technique. But most officers likely let up long before 9 minutes. And most people won't have such a concoction in their system at the time.

It's gonna be quite easy for prosecutors to attack Chauvin and the charges in many different ways. But a good defense attorney can also raise so many other issues to maybe cloud enough to get him off the charges, or less...

I think it's both and most likely guilty of manslaughter of some degree. I don't think he set out that morning to murder someone, but his negligence resulted in a mans death.

Gunny
03-13-2021, 06:01 PM
I won't and couldn't defend Chauvin. His technique kneeling on the neck was widely known, but there has to come a point that subduing a perpetrator and his health and well being. He didn't seem to have a concern in the slightest for the latter. So so many things he could have done better, or differently, that may not have resulted in Floyd's death.

The medical examiner stated that Floyd had a fatal amount of fentanyl in his system.

Many think that between the fentanyl and being scared shitless, then breathing issues on top of that, and he had a heart attack.

He had a crack pipe in his pocket. In addition to the fatal amount of fentanyl, he also had methamphetamine in his body along with the crack. Also had marijuana in his system.

On top of all of that he also had covid-19. And prior to all of this he had heart disease & hypertension.

Were any one of these things responsible for his death? 'Maybe' down the line the fentanyl could have taken him out like so many others, but not right then.

But most likely a combination of the drugs, or the underlying health conditions, exacerbated by the overall stress & extreme breathing issues from having a knee dug into his neck for 9 minutes. And was the technique alone what killed him? Was this technique alone something to be charged with murder as a result of use of this technique? It was bad, but a widely used technique. But most officers likely let up long before 9 minutes. And most people won't have such a concoction in their system at the time.

It's gonna be quite easy for prosecutors to attack Chauvin and the charges in many different ways. But a good defense attorney can also raise so many other issues to maybe cloud enough to get him off the charges, or less...

I think it's both and most likely guilty of manslaughter of some degree. I don't think he set out that morning to murder someone, but his negligence resulted in a mans death.I'm sorry, but this cop is no smarter than the druggie. Let's call the latter what he is. Before I spend 9 minutes (and that IS a long time when you're counting) with my knee on someone's neck, I'm going to pull out my sidearm and inform him that if he so much as twitches I'll kneecap his ass.

Sounds like this guy was going to die anyway. "Fatal dose of fentanyl". He was in custody. Minus the kneeling on the neck thing, how does it play out when he dies in custody anyway? I say not much differently.

fj1200
03-14-2021, 07:12 PM

Minneapolis would have signed off on anything, guilt or not.

Mr. P
03-16-2021, 12:22 AM
IMO Minneapolis thinks that $27 million will prevent the city from being burnt to the ground when a verdict is reached.

They should know better. All they've done is F'up the case and the trial process!