PDA

View Full Version : So say you're a police officer....

jimnyc
04-12-2021, 06:53 PM
And you're on duty and need to pull out your weapon in an emergency situation.

I'm no gun expert for sure. I am not a member of the police. I'm just observing and thinking of my experience in shooting weapons.

When you pull out your pistol and have it in front of you and aiming it at a perpetrator, my thinking is that you would know what you are holding in front of you, you're service pistol or a (usually) bright yellow taser.

I'm wondering what you guys think as to:

If you're holding a taser or a typical police issued gun - would you as an experienced person, feel the weight difference at all? When "aiming" at someone or holding your gun at someone, would you normally "look" at your weapon, even if by glance? What I am trying to establish is whether or not a cop should know better? In addition to feeling and seeing a difference, I would think they would hold their weapons on opposite sides and know what they reach for. And I guess there are times where you may have a taser out but then need to transition to a gun. But again, my thinking is that they should already know what they are holding, and trained enough not to "forget" what is in their hands. The police chief described her as a "very senior" officer, so I would say she has experience.

Thoughts on this one? She even announces "taser, taser, taser" to warn the other officers she was about to deploy her taser - before shooting him.

---

Police Chief: Minnesota Officer Meant to Draw Taser, Not Handgun

The police officer who fatally shot a Black man during a traffic stop in a Minneapolis suburb apparently intended to fire a Taser, not a handgun, the city’s police chief said Monday.

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon described the shooting as “an accidental discharge.” The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was investigating.

“Taser! Taser! Taser!” the officer is heard shouting on her body cam footage released at a news conference. After firing a single shot from her handgun, the car speeds away and the officer is heard saying, “Holy [expletive]! I shot him.”

Daunte Wright, 20, died Sunday in a metropolitan area that was already on edge because of the trial of the first of four police officers charged in George Floyd’s death.

Gannon said at a news conference that the officer made a mistake, and he released the body camera footage less than 24 hours after the shooting. The footage showed three officers around a stopped car. When another officer attempts to handcuff Wright, a struggle ensues.

Gannon would not name the officer but described her as “very senior.” He would not say whether she would be fired following the investigation.

“I think we can watch the video and ascertain whether she will be returning," the chief said.

Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott called the shooting “deeply tragic.”

Rest - https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/police-shooting-minnesota/2021/04/12/id/1017281/

icansayit
04-12-2021, 07:22 PM
Being a police officer today has to be the most difficult, agonizing, terrifying professions in a World full of Hatred, and Being Hated by so many who abuse the laws, then turn them around for their own satisfaction to fight the very same people who are there to DEFEND and PROTECT them.

I asked about Hunting because...since I have never had to shoot at ANYONE (any human). I do remember my teens, and twenties when I went hunting in Pennsylvania with friends for small game, and later...for deer.

As if it was yesterday. I remember the REAL, SADNESS, and REMORSE I felt after watching the Rabbit I shot...twitch, shake, and even make noise while it died right in front of me.
Truth is. I have NEVER forgotten that day, or those feelings. So I cannot IMAGINE what any police officer today feels...when they have to defend themselves with DEADLY force.
For me...knowing that feeling as I did. Then multiplying it at the hands of a Bullet to another Human. Unless you are (as they say) "In their Shoes"...you simply don't know!

jimnyc
04-13-2021, 09:58 AM
Being a police officer today has to be the most difficult, agonizing, terrifying professions in a World full of Hatred, and Being Hated by so many who abuse the laws, then turn them around for their own satisfaction to fight the very same people who are there to DEFEND and PROTECT them.

I asked about Hunting because...since I have never had to shoot at ANYONE (any human). I do remember my teens, and twenties when I went hunting in Pennsylvania with friends for small game, and later...for deer.

As if it was yesterday. I remember the REAL, SADNESS, and REMORSE I felt after watching the Rabbit I shot...twitch, shake, and even make noise while it died right in front of me.
Truth is. I have NEVER forgotten that day, or those feelings. So I cannot IMAGINE what any police officer today feels...when they have to defend themselves with DEADLY force.
For me...knowing that feeling as I did. Then multiplying it at the hands of a Bullet to another Human. Unless you are (as they say) "In their Shoes"...you simply don't know!

Excellent, AT, and I agree!

I'm still wondering though, if the weapon should be known just by pulling it out, and if not, should it be known as it's aimed, as in kinda like looking to aim? I say both should be known by an officer - but I don't want to question professionals that have such a difficult job as you point out.

jimnyc
04-14-2021, 12:19 PM
So not only do they think she should have known, but now up on some serious charges for her mistake.

---

Ex-Minnesota police officer charged in connection with shooting of Daunte Wright

Former Brooklyn Center, Minn., Police Officer Kimberly Potter will be charged with second-degree manslaughter in the shooting death of Daunte Wright.

Washington County Attorney Pete Orput relayed the charges to the Minneapolis Star Tribune Wednesday morning, three days after Wright was shot during a traffic stop. While Wright’s death occurred in Hennepin County, it was referred to nearby Washington County to avoid a conflict of interest in the prosecution, with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigating. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-police-officer-charged-in-connection-with-shooting-of-duante-wright-163108978.html

fj1200
04-16-2021, 08:02 AM
Who would want to be a cop these days?

jimnyc
04-16-2021, 02:21 PM
Who would want to be a cop these days?

Not even those who are cops, many retired or are retiring.

Shitty pay all the way around. People underestimate how many times they are in danger. Simple pull overs, people resisting & some shooting at you. And now many have targets on their backs. No thank you. And even the guys working in large teams are being confronted head on by "peaceful protesters" and more and more get hurt.

And then the politicians start talking smack about you? And then local politics and then less funding and tools taken away. Yet still tossed out there to the same front lines.

And as said, the money sucks in reality until you reach at least sergeant level, if you're lucky. Eff that.

SassyLady
04-16-2021, 06:19 PM
The mayor who said police should not need weapons for traffic stops should watch this.

https://www.police1.com/patrol-video/articles/video-new-details-released-in-fatal-shooting-of-nm-state-trooper-gTm7YZrmZSVJmywb/

icansayit
04-16-2021, 06:39 PM
Treating Law Enforcement as if they are our enemy is...IMO...part of the overall Liberal, BLM, ANTIFA, Democrat Politicans game.
I believe....they actually feel...By treating police by putting targets on their backs...the end result of DEFUNDING Law Enforcement, and Allowing Lawless Ignorant Civilians and Politicians to RIDE HERD over every move the Police make...Is their ULTERIOR MOTIVE in getting officers to RETIRE EARLY, or ACTIVE Officers to QUIT.

Every day, there are new calls to CONTROL the police (with the phony gun law cries) but we hear NOTHING about the number of BLACK ON BLACK, WHITE ON WHITE, murders, and shootouts....UNLESS. there is a police officer involved.

COVID is the INFECTION of a FAILING SOCIETY of MENTALLY DISFUNCTIONAL IDIOTS who DENY GOD...because they DEFY the laws of Man...namely the 10 commandments.
If they INSIST they DO NOT BELIEVE in a GOD, then there is no reason to believe any of the 10 Commandments that allow them to DO WHATEVER THEY WANT!