PDA

View Full Version : Bring it BITCH: rap music has no value, it is BAD for society

Yurt
09-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Bring it BITCH: rap music has no value, it is BAD for society

What value does it have? How is it a positive role model?

What does this "music" do to benefit anyone?

Oh, btw, the new $900 studio Poly neighbors who are so WHITE, yet they love the slang, and their rap music, have been playing it for hours. I have stomped the floor, blasted my MUCH larger stereo, to no avail.

They are about to get a door knockin.

Does their music have redemption?

Yurt
09-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Ok, I went to the car, and pulled a heavy bass CD I listened to in college....... turned the stereo bass up, made sure all was good, BOOOOOOOOOOM.

The music is down.

I still feel a door knockin. But hey, I live in an apartment and sometimes my music/movies are loud, so I always give the person a chance. Stereo to Stereo, then.........

Ah, someday I will own my very own house.

*dreams*

Yurt
09-21-2007, 04:59 PM
I have no idea why I put this in SC, I meant lounge. Mods?

truthmatters
09-21-2007, 05:00 PM

Oh, btw, the new $900 studio Poly neighbors who are so WHITE, yet they love the slang, and their rap music, have been playing it for hours. I have stomped the floor, blasted my MUCH larger stereo, to no avail.

I dissagree with your basic premise ,Rap is not music.

-Cp
09-21-2007, 05:03 PM

Wow... Truthmatters really can spout of truths at times! :P

Yurt
09-21-2007, 05:11 PM

Then I hate the THUDS coming from my neighbors.....

here is a hair, go split it

Trinity
09-21-2007, 05:15 PM

I am only answering questions here not starting shit. I for one listen to everything from oldies to metal to rap everything but country music I hate it.
but in reference to you questions....

What value does it have? There's really no value in music what so ever, except maybe for the artist.

How is it a positive role model? It's not, and music should never be looked at as any kind of role model, it is music, the only thing that should ever be looked upon as a role model should be the parent's.

What does this "music" do to benefit anyone? Once again the only one benefiting from music is the artist's.

This reminds me of the law suit involving several metal bands where they were being accused of causing teens suicides because of their music and lyrics. It's all what you make it out to be. I have been listening to everything and I mean everything since I was a small child and I knew then that you don't take the lyrics and apply it to your life it is just a song that someone most likely made up. Why because that's what sells.

Mr. P
09-21-2007, 05:23 PM
I am only answering questions here not starting shit. I for one listen to everything from oldies to metal to rap everything but country music I hate it.

What value does it have? There's really no value in music what so ever, except maybe for the artist.

How is it a positive role model? It's not, and music should never be looked at as any kind of role model, it is music, the only thing that should ever be looked upon as a role model should be the parent's.

What does this "music" do to benefit anyone? Once again the only one benefiting from music is the artist's.

This reminds me of the law suit involving several metal bands where they were being accused of causing teens suicides because of their music and lyrics. It's all what you make it out to be. I have been listening to everything and I mean everything since I was a small child and I knew then that you don't take the lyrics and apply it to your life it is just a song that someone most likely made up. Why because that's what sells.

You do drugs, don't you. :poke:

Yurt
09-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Trinity;127552]I am only answering questions here not starting shit.

I know. I put in this in the wrong forum because I was mad. However, seems as if it has turned into a good SC match.

I for one listen to everything from oldies to metal to rap everything but country music I hate it.

Ever hear a song and remember an event in your life? Ever hear music and have it lift you above the crap you are dealing with?

If you haven't, then you are exceptional. For sound/music is an integral part of the human experience.

I strongly disagree. Parents can be imperfect and if a child of that imperfect upbringing can find happiness and a bright future in music, then who are we to discount that?

Music is very important to our lives. Regardless of religion or beliefs, some sound will influence us.

Actually, not once "again" but ......

I am not saying music should completely influence us. But it is like speech. Some is good, some is bad.

I am not sure you and I see so far apart.

Trinity
09-21-2007, 05:31 PM
You do drugs, don't you. :poke:

No actually I don't...... I outgrew them along time ago!

Gunny
09-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Rap music has its place. If on a long trip driving, turn it on. Guaranteed to irritate the piss out of you and keep you awake.:laugh2:

Trinity
09-21-2007, 05:50 PM
I know. I put in this in the wrong forum because I was mad. However, seems as if it has turned into a good SC match.

Ever hear a song and remember an event in your life? Ever hear music and have it lift you above the crap you are dealing with?

If you haven't, then you are exceptional. For sound/music is an integral part of the human experience.

I strongly disagree. Parents can be imperfect and if a child of that imperfect upbringing can find happiness and a bright future in music, then who are we to discount that?

Music is very important to our lives. Regardless of religion or beliefs, some sound will influence us.

Actually, not once "again" but ......

I am not saying music should completely influence us. But it is like speech. Some is good, some is bad.

I am not sure you and I see so far apart.

your probably right......... and your also right about some being good and some being bad.

I have to say that I love most music and depending on my mood will determine what I listen to.....does it have a big impact on my life? No not really, I enjoy it for what it is, entertainment, and certain types of music fit better with different situations. Of course with that said certain era's and songs do remind me of certain times in my life.

With that in mind I have been instructing my children who listen to everything like I do. I have told them the same thing about music that I do the television, it is made up and make believe so don't take it to heart enjoy it for what it is and leave it at that.

But in all honesty I think it boils down to the parent's and the children especially when it comes to the rap music, yes my kid's listen to it as well and they know that it is not to be taking literally. Unfortunately I think that is the biggest problem with a lot of kids these days they are taking the music literally.

Just out of curiosity what is your definition of rap? Yours may very well be different from mine.

Here is a video of my definition of rap........ Twista is known as the fastest rapper in the history of rap.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLQDHG_RlA8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLQDHG_RlA8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Trinity
09-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Rap music has its place. If on a long trip driving, turn it on. Guaranteed to irritate the piss out of you and keep you awake.:laugh2:

:laugh2:

Trinity
09-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Just to clarify............... this is classified as hip hop and not rap because the two seem to get intermixed all the time. Can you tell I have been working in the clubs far to long!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YniDowiAHGE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YniDowiAHGE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Guernicaa
09-21-2007, 06:07 PM
People like rap music because it hypes them up.
Gets them going.

Trinity
09-21-2007, 06:08 PM
and this is reggaeton.............

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp5H1JY9Av8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mp5H1JY9Av8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Trinity
09-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Gets them going.

Very true!

actsnoblemartin
09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
I believe that today, in rap music. The mostly black rapping are selling out their race, their people, just to make a buck. As if theyre saying all blacks act like this, and the media, shows the negative portrayal, and whites and others just believe it. Very sad.

I wish the media, was about the truth more, and the almight lie/dollar less.

actsnoblemartin
09-21-2007, 06:22 PM
I should also point out, culpulbility (sorry cant spell) for those for buy the rap music, mostly whites 75%, and the mostly white ceo's who finance the making of albums, at the record companies.

I think, the term acting black is unfair, because you cant act a race, yes their is cultural elements in all races, but when people say it, they mean, blacks are ghetto. I dont like that.

Blacks can be just as brilliant, articulate, sweet, and kind as any white, or other person out there.

and whites can act ghetto, which means, inappropriate, low down, unclassy, as any one.

This is not an attack on whites, merely to point out.

Color or race doesnt determine character.

Trinity
09-21-2007, 06:25 PM
I should also point out, culpulbility (sorry cant spell) for those for buy the rap music, mostly whites 75%, and the mostly white ceo's who finance the making of albums, at the record companies.

I think, the term acting black is unfair, because you cant act a race, yes their is cultural elements in all races, but when people say it, they mean, blacks are ghetto. I dont like that.

Blacks can be just as brilliant, articulate, sweet, and kind as any white, or other person out there.

and whites can act ghetto, which means, inappropriate, low down, unclassy, as any one.

This is not an attack on whites, merely to point out.

Color or race doesnt determine character.

Amen!

Gunny
09-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Gets them going.

Makes me want to bodyslam the radio so it'll shut up.:smoke:

Yurt
09-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Gets them going.

So you support boot camp?

Yurt
09-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Just to clarify............... this is classified as hip hop and not rap because the two seem to get intermixed all the time. Can you tell I have been working in the clubs far to long!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YniDowiAHGE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YniDowiAHGE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I listened half way, so as to give an Opinion, and that is "tidy whitey" rap. IE, it is "clelan." It still degrades women and sex.

dan
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM
I believe that today, in rap music. The mostly black rapping are selling out their race, their people, just to make a buck. As if theyre saying all blacks act like this, and the media, shows the negative portrayal, and whites and others just believe it. Very sad.

I wish the media, was about the truth more, and the almight lie/dollar less.

But, that's not the artist's responsibilty, unless it's somebody like Kanye West who clearly WANTS to be speaking for all black people. White artists don't have any responsibilty to their race, blacks shouldn't either.

PS: I agree with everything in your second post.

gabosaurus
09-22-2007, 01:08 AM
Glad that someone else agrees that rap is not music. It is people talking over a repetitive beat. Though I am sure the rap people will argue.
Rap is better classified as spoken word. It is more a form of expression than music.

Though I am torn judging the merits of raps vs. today's ultra sappy excuse for "country music." Or (worse yet!) "smooth jazz"

Gunny
09-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Glad that someone else agrees that rap is not music. It is people talking over a repetitive beat. Though I am sure the rap people will argue.
Rap is better classified as spoken word. It is more a form of expression than music.

Though I am torn judging the merits of raps vs. today's ultra sappy excuse for "country music." Or (worse yet!) "smooth jazz"

Pop country is indeed "sappy." Outlaw country is cool.

While you can say rap is not music, it's been sold as such since it evolved out of hip hop.

I don't care what anyone says ... if you listen to a message, repeated over and over again, it is going to affect your thought pattern.

KarlMarx
09-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Forget the war on terror... the real struggle will be between those of us who hate rap music and those who love it.

I'd rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than rap.

stephanie
09-22-2007, 02:24 AM
I can't stand rap..and I don't call it music...

09-22-2007, 04:33 AM
Gets them going.

I am not sure going to the place rap takes you is really worth it.

09-22-2007, 04:39 AM
I have friends who used to listen to rap alot. I never liked it. It was always loud and degrading. The only rap artist I have ever liked is Will Smith. I like him as a person too. Because the man is one of the few artists/actors who refuses to engage in activities or say things that wouldnt be appropriate for his son.

Since then my friends have developed a broader taste for music. My one rap crazed friend never believed he would like classical music like he does. of course getting him off the drugs was probably helpful in that too.

I tend to listen to a bit of metal. Mostly for the instrumental parts I can live without the lyrics (Except the United AbomiNation, that song has come cool lyrics). Id just rather not listen to anything that is degrading. Now anything that is uplifting is a different story. You can find it in just about every genre. Heck I even have some disney music in my library.

But rap... heck no. its degrading. Its insulting to women and any thinking person. And its debatable whether its even music...

Gunny
09-22-2007, 05:25 AM
I have friends who used to listen to rap alot. I never liked it. It was always loud and degrading. The only rap artist I have ever liked is Will Smith. I like him as a person too. Because the man is one of the few artists/actors who refuses to engage in activities or say things that wouldnt be appropriate for his son.

Since then my friends have developed a broader taste for music. My one rap crazed friend never believed he would like classical music like he does. of course getting him off the drugs was probably helpful in that too.

I tend to listen to a bit of metal. Mostly for the instrumental parts I can live without the lyrics (Except the United AbomiNation, that song has come cool lyrics). Id just rather not listen to anything that is degrading. Now anything that is uplifting is a different story. You can find it in just about every genre. Heck I even have some disney music in my library.

But rap... heck no. its degrading. Its insulting to women and any thinking person. And its debatable whether its even music...

Degrading to women hardly covers it. It glorifies being a worthless piece of shit "gangsta."

IMO, "misery" rock is just as bad. It's depressing as Hell, and people on the edge with REAL psychological problems listening to too much of that message can be driven to foolishness.

Let the naysaying begin, but the fact is, just because it doesn't affect people who can keep it in perspective, doesn't mean those on the fringe can handle a repeated message of doom, gloom, and/or hate.

Trinity
09-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Degrading to women hardly covers it. It glorifies being a worthless piece of shit "gangsta."

IMO, "misery" rock is just as bad. It's depressing as Hell, and people on the edge with REAL psychological problems listening to too much of that message can be driven to foolishness.

Let the naysaying begin, but the fact is, just because it doesn't affect people who can keep it in perspective, doesn't mean those on the fringe can handle a repeated message of doom, gloom, and/or hate.

You just summed it up right there. People who can keep it in perspective. That is the key if they can't then maybe they should not be listening to it.:coffee:

Trigg
09-22-2007, 10:27 AM
My only reply is..............it's crap..................

Degrades women as sex objects

Glorifies violence against anyone including cops

It certainly isn't doing the black community any favors, since it seems that young blacks look up to these singers.

Gunny
09-22-2007, 10:56 AM
You just summed it up right there. People who can keep it in perspective. That is the key if they can't then maybe they should not be listening to it.:coffee:

Think about it ... if their judgement is so off-kilter that the music affects the way they think, why would you expect them to possess the judgement to not listen to the crap?

jimnyc
09-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm not a big fan of rap music but I admittedly enjoy quite a few Eminem songs. He's no angel either, but there are a few songs I love, or can relate to:

Lose Yourself - from his movie "8 Mile"
<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d6odzCYFOOQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

Hailie's Song - written for his daughter

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TqnMF8BMLCY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

Like Toy Soldiers - "Like Toy Soldiers" is a song by rapper Eminem on his worldwide hit album Encore, that tells the story of his feuds in an attempt to settle down the rap community. He speaks his heart about problems with The Source magazine and its editor Benzino, as well as Murder Inc. Records. He explains the beef between Ja Rule and 50 Cent. He finishes off the song by offering a truce to his enemies. The song reached the top 40 in the US, and #1 in the UK. It samples heavily on the chorus from the song "Toy Soldiers" by Martika

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O3i6z2fnQZ4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

Yurt
09-22-2007, 02:13 PM
I listened to those songs jim and they are not bad. I like the first one, I too relate. Seems he did a good thing in the last song.

My wife also brought a good point up, a lot of pop music is worthless too, but it does not mean it is all bad.

jackass
09-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Not all rap music is sex and degrading women. There are alot of rap songs out there that are very spiritual and uplifting.

About the acting black part. Well that is what is happening. Where has the current street style come from? It didnt come from the streets of suburban America thats for sure. Anyone who says its not acting black is just another political correctness a-hole.

Said1
09-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I think a lot of rap music is pretty damn funny and I enjoy listening to it. I'm not a huge fan, but certain songs like "Kill You" (Eminem) and "Alcoholic" (Xibit) are hilarious, IMHO.