PDA

View Full Version : N.Y. Drops Citizenship Proof For Driver's Licenses

stephanie
09-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Move Should Cut Down Unlicensed Illegal Immigrants

Andrew Kirtzman
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK They were celebrating outside the governor's office Friday as Eliot Spitzer handed a landmark victory to a half-million illegal immigrants.

The state will no longer require proof of citizenship for driver's licenses.

"We're changing our policy with respect to getting more people out of shadows and into the system so people don't hide they're here," Spitzer said.

He said the current restrictions on non-citizens have filled the roads with unlicensed drivers five times more likely to get into accidents.

But the also called it a matter of justice.

"As long as I'm governor we won't pretend they don't exist, cut them off from society," Spitzer said.

But the action triggered a bitter response from some 9/11 family members, who said the governor would be providing identification for potential terrorists.

And a Brooklyn state senator says he'll try to overturn the decision.

"This governor has chosen to give the keys to the city, the keys to the state to terrorism," Golden said.

As for the public, it's clear that people have strong feelings on both sides of the issue.

"I don’t think if you're here illegally you should have the same privileges people who are here legally do," office manager Cliff Hoffman said.

Added legal word processor Bill Slater: "I think illegal people are getting a free ride. I don't think it's fair to other hard-working citizens who do work hard."

Planning consultant John Madden said the move is also a pre-emptive strike against another type of potentially hazardous driver.

"The problem is they're gonna drive anyway," Madden said. "You might as well make them legal drivers with insurance."

The new rules will start to kick in at the end of the year, unless someone finds a way to put a halt to them.

Under the new policy, the Department of Motor Vehicles will accept foreign passports and birth certificates from immigrants as proof of identification. They will no longer need to provide a Social Security card.
http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_264172034.html

DragonStryk72
09-21-2007, 09:33 PM
This one makes my head hurt. So, now, instead of trying tighten things up on illegal immigration, they're going to just keep making the problem worse? this is just plain moronic.

Now, the truly stupid part of this is that the actual legal residents will still have to put up the SS card as proof for themselves.

How difficult is this: If you pull over an illegal immigrant with no driver's license driving illegally, FUCKING ARREST HIM. How god damn difficult could this process be?

We either need to just go ahead and open up the borders, or start enforcing he laws on the books for it. Pick one.

Dilloduck
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Andrew Kirtzman
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK They were celebrating outside the governor's office Friday as Eliot Spitzer handed a landmark victory to a half-million illegal immigrants.

"We're changing our policy with respect to getting more people out of shadows and into the system so people don't hide they're here," Spitzer said.

He said the current restrictions on non-citizens have filled the roads with unlicensed drivers five times more likely to get into accidents.

"As long as I'm governor we won't pretend they don't exist, cut them off from society," Spitzer said.

But the action triggered a bitter response from some 9/11 family members, who said the governor would be providing identification for potential terrorists.

"This governor has chosen to give the keys to the city, the keys to the state to terrorism," Golden said.

As for the public, it's clear that people have strong feelings on both sides of the issue.

"I don’t think if you're here illegally you should have the same privileges people who are here legally do," office manager Cliff Hoffman said.

Added legal word processor Bill Slater: "I think illegal people are getting a free ride. I don't think it's fair to other hard-working citizens who do work hard."

Planning consultant John Madden said the move is also a pre-emptive strike against another type of potentially hazardous driver.

"The problem is they're gonna drive anyway," Madden said. "You might as well make them legal drivers with insurance."

The new rules will start to kick in at the end of the year, unless someone finds a way to put a halt to them.

Under the new policy, the Department of Motor Vehicles will accept foreign passports and birth certificates from immigrants as proof of identification. They will no longer need to provide a Social Security card.

So if you are in New York and you have a legal drivers' license, the only thing it proves is that you went through the process to drive. It is no longer a valid way to prove you are a citizen.
We really need a way to tell a citizen fron a non-citizen. Easily. Or is that discriminatory?

82Marine89
09-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Next time I visit my folks in New York, I will apply for a license as Raul Nunez. I am fluent in Spanish, so it shouldn't be a problem.

JohnDoe
09-21-2007, 09:59 PM
So if you are in New York and you have a legal drivers' license, the only thing it proves is that you went through the process to drive. It is no longer a valid way to prove you are a citizen.
We really need a way to tell a citizen fron a non-citizen. Easily. Or is that discriminatory? i think that we need to stop this waterfall of illegal immigrants.

I don't want to be forced to carry an id to prove i am an American in my own country just because our gvt refused to address the law regarding illegals.... why should we succumb to this...? AND how would this really help with our illegals crossing the border anytime they please?

i think ny is making a mistake... a birth certificate should be required, and the 'legal' immigrants here, getting a license should be noted as legal residents on the License...

illegals should not be permitted to drive imho.

jd

DragonStryk72
09-21-2007, 11:50 PM
I was talking to my friend Sarah about this article (She's Mexican, born here, and her mother is a legal, taxpaying citizen), and even she was like, "what the fuck?!"

this country is just getting plain stupid.

stephanie
09-22-2007, 12:04 AM
And don't forget...Once they have a drivers license, they can VOTE..

:dunno:

Gunny
09-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Andrew Kirtzman
Reporting

Total bs. Another case of our Constitution being used against us. Since we're being taxed to death to support the useless, the least they can do is ensure the useless are legal.

jimnyc
09-22-2007, 07:07 AM
And don't forget...Once they have a drivers license, they can VOTE..

BINGO!

I am so very embarrassed to be a resident of this state. This kind of policy aggravates me to no end. Illegals shouldn't be getting ANYTHING other than a boot in the ass and a one way ticket out of the country.

Know that this NY'er does not support this horrible policy.

Yurt
09-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Next time I visit my folks in New York, I will apply for a license as Raul Nunez. I am fluent in Spanish, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Could you get mine as well:

Jaun Cerveza

Gracious.

Gaffer
09-22-2007, 03:47 PM
The next big 9/11 attack will be done by illegals. Most likely in NY.

what do I say to this....Oh fucking well. You brought it on yourselves. Nobody's going to listen until millions of people are dead. And I hope the majority of our politicians are among them.

actsnoblemartin
09-23-2007, 01:11 AM
The actions of spitzer are treasonous because they provide aid and comfort to the enemy, which is the very definition of terrorism

Actions done by politicians that profit or help illegals in anyway, should be grounds for immediate removal from office, trial, and life in prison.

There is no greater crime , then helping the enemies of this country, and those who mooch off america's teet, without earning the right too, are one of our top enemies. the enemy of prosperity, the enemy of doing the right thing/being moral.

morals should not be put aside, to justify criminal activity such as getting here illegally, staying here, if your an illegal, thats a crime, and working, which is illegal.

IF the law doesnt matter, we would have anarchy.

I dont say these words lightly, its about principles.

Andrew Kirtzman
Reporting

Hugh Lincoln
09-23-2007, 08:59 PM
BINGO!

I am so very embarrassed to be a resident of this state. This kind of policy aggravates me to no end. Illegals shouldn't be getting ANYTHING other than a boot in the ass and a one way ticket out of the country.

Know that this NY'er does not support this horrible policy.

Sorry, bro... as a 7-year resident of Brooklyn, I can sympathize. It's just scary to think that SPITZER is the GOVERNOR. Pataki was bad enough. It's tough to describe to outsiders what that's like...

I know there are SOME common-sense New Yorkers -- even in Manhattan -- who would say this is CRAP. A lot of them work in Greek diners, walk beats, fight fires. But they don't vote D. The illegals WILL. Spitzer knows that, and he's basically just bought himself a second term.