PDA

View Full Version : Is Kamala still on deck?

jimnyc
06-14-2021, 10:46 AM
So if Biden should croak, resign or something catastrophic happens - Kamala Harris is on deck waiting. Many think that was the plan from the get go, either Joe would resign and in comes Harris - or she just builds herself up and runs and wins office after Joe's first term.

But then they/Biden made the mistake of putting her in charge of the border issues. They made the mistake of allowing her to continue to open her mouth over and over. For her to go on a foreign relations trip and open her mouth again. She goes on MSM programs and gets mainly softball questions lobbed at her. She gets to show off her cackling abilities at each and every one of them.

She has slowly put a dent in her 2024 chances. Or should I say a crater. I believe that any hope in hell she had of luring in any votes from the right or middle are going out the window.

In fact, I think the entire left has been harming themselves in record time during this term. The presidency, the senate & the house altogether. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I think a lot changes in 2022 if the right continues to play their cards correctly.

The democrats currently have an 8 seat lead in the house. They have a very light advantage in the senate at 50/50 with the tiebreaker belonging to them. And then of course the advantage of the current presidency. My opinion is that the house is in the worst shape and has the best chance of changing hands in '22. That, and every seat is up for grabs in '22. Then 34 senate seats will be up for grabs. And I do think things get tighter then and tie the hands of the democrats some to reign them in.

And no, she isn't being setup to fail - she is failing all on her own. If she cannot do things on her own - she doesn't deserve to be where she is at.

---

Establishment Media Worries Kamala Harris’ Presidential Chances Are Slipping amid Stumbles

The establishment media is worried Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential chances are slipping after faltering in Latin America last week.

Axios explained their concern Monday, saying Harris’s stumbles “during her first foreign trip have rekindled the debate from her presidential campaign about whether she — and not her staff — is to blame.”

“Harris also is in a tough spot managing two issues — immigration and voting rights, the latter of which she’s reported to have chosen herself — that have little upside and huge downside,” Axios continued.

Moreover, Slate warned on Thursday that President Joe Biden may be setting her up to fail by putting her in charge of the border crisis and election takeover legislation, which are quickly becoming losing issues for the administration.

Slate cautioned, “If you look at the assignments Kamala Harris has been given during her tenure as vice president, it’s pretty easy to think that she’s getting the short end of the political stick.”

“First, she was tasked with taking on immigration: After mostly staying in D.C. during the pandemic, Harris is on her first international trip, a visit aimed at helping Guatemala and Mexico stem migration,” the article explained. “She’s also been assigned to help protect voting rights that are under attack across the country. It’s hard to know what to call her job, why she’s being saddled with the tasks she’s been saddled with, and what this may portend for her future political prospects.”

Rest - https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/06/14/establishment-media-worries-kamala-harris-presidential-chances-are-slipping-stumbles/

fj1200
06-14-2021, 12:41 PM
Looks like failing up even has its limits.

jimnyc
06-17-2021, 03:13 PM
And I'm not saying that the position of VP stands for that, nor that Kamala Harris as a person stands for that.

I am saying that her direct performance rating would be about that.

---

For VP Kamala Harris, the presidency looks more and more like a long shot

Vice presidents are rarely successful presidential candidates.

The vice presidency has come a long way since John Adams called it “the most insignificant office” ever conceived, and John Nance Garner referred to it as “not worth a bucket of warm piss.”

For more than four decades, most vice presidents have received significant presidential assignments. As Vice President, Joe Biden managed implementation of President Barack Obama’s economic stimulus program, and Vice President Mike Pence ran President Donald Trump’s COVID-19 task force.

For most, however, efforts to elevate their standing politically have brought mixed success. More lost later presidential races than won them, and the elder George Bush is still the only sitting vice president elected president in the last 184 years.

The recent difficulties of Vice President Kamala Harris illustrate how hard it will be for the first Black woman to hold the office to establish a record that could help her one day be elected president.

For one thing, President Joe Biden has asked her to manage two areas, immigration and voting rights, where the underlying problems are so substantively complex and politically intractable that success may prove elusive.

For another, in carrying out her mandate to tackle the issues at the root of the immigration problem, the vice president has shown some of the same lack of political deftness that marked her brief but unsuccessful 2019 presidential bid.

Rest - https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2021/06/17/for-vp-kamala-harris-the-presidency-looks-more-and-more-like-a-long-shot/

fj1200
06-17-2021, 05:06 PM
I thought it was a bucket of "warm spit."

jimnyc
06-17-2021, 05:24 PM
I thought it was a bucket of "warm spit."

How do you like them apples, you got me again, you dirty fact checkin' bastard!! :laugh:

But I see where the Dallas News got it.....

Appears you easily win out on volume, and also win out on what was apparently directly quoted.... but I win overall as the last time it was mentioned it was the different quote. Latest precedent wins!! :) :)

John Nance Garner on the Vice Presidency—In Search of the Proverbial Bucket

By Patrick Cox, Ph.D.

When it comes to commentary about the office of vice president of the United States, no statement is more repeated than John Nance Garner's observation that the office "is not worth a bucket of warm spit." The crusty, sharp-tongued Texan, known during his lifetime as "Cactus Jack," built his reputation on biting commentary and one-liners. But regarding the "bucket" matter, did Garner really say what everyone thinks he said? If so, who first heard the story, and when did it first appear in print? And did Garner actually hold this view, or did he have a more analytical view of the office that stood second in line to the presidency?

The earliest reference to the bucket quote came from R. G. Tugwell, an FDR supporter and author of the 1968 book The Brains Trust. Tugwell wrote that he first heard the famous version soon after Garner accepted the 1932 vice presidential nomination. "I can still hear Roosevelt's guffaw when he was told the Speaker's opinion of the office. ‘It was,' the Texan said, ‘not worth a quart of warm spit.'"

After two terms as FDR's vice president, Garner retired to Uvalde in 1941. Many journalists wrote of Garner's political influence, his extensive career, and his controversial personality. No story contained any reference to the bucket, but Garner occasionally commented about the vice president's job. In an interview with Collier's Magazine in March 1948, Garner referred to the office as "almost wholly unimportant." In 1957 Garner told author Florence Fenley that his election as vice president "was the worst thing that ever happened to me."

In his 1948 book, Garner of Texas, fellow Texan Bascom Timmons quoted Garner as stating the vice presidency was "a no man's land somewhere between the legislative and executive branch." Timmons held numerous interviews with Garner and followed him for years in Washington and in Texas, and he may have heard the bucket quote. But Timmons wanted his biography to present Garner in a positive light as an elder statesman and did not report the bucket story.

The bucket resurfaces in connection with the 1960 presidential election. In Sam Johnson's Boy, Alfred Steinberg's biography of Lyndon Johnson, and in Theodore White's 1961 bestseller, The Making of the President 1960, both authors recounted an episode following JFK's victory as the Democratic presidential nominee. LBJ gathered with Speaker Sam Rayburn and his friends in his hotel suite to ponder the offer of the vice presidency. One phone call went to Garner in Uvalde, who reportedly told Johnson, "I'll tell you, Lyndon, the vice presidency isn't worth a pitcher of warm spit."

When Garner passed away on November 7, 1967, tributes poured in from across the nation, but no mention of the bucket quote appeared in print until the Time magazine obituary of November 17, 1967, which stated, "Plain-spoken to the last, he always regretted having given up his Speaker's role for the vice presidency, which he said ‘wasn't worth a pitcher of warm spit.'"

After Garner's death in 1967, the quote began to appear more frequently in magazines and newspapers. The story continues to appear with some regularity every four years when presidential nominees select a running mate. Given Garner's reputation and his oft-quoted remarks about the vice presidency, there is little doubt that he used the bucket of warm spit reference, possibly as early as 1932. And, as biographer O. C. Fisher noted, he probably said warm piss instead.

As for reasons why the quote seldom appeared before the 1960s, the journalistic standards of the era would not allow for the introduction of some of the earthy language that Garner often employed. In any event, given the popularity and widespread acceptance of his anecdote, John Nance Garner and the bucket of warm spit will live on in the history of political lexicon.

https://www.cah.utexas.edu/news/press_release.php?press=press_bucket

fj1200
06-17-2021, 05:48 PM
Either way. Not a good thing.

jimnyc
06-17-2021, 06:05 PM
Either way. Not a good thing.

Yeah, if I had to choose between warm spit or warm piss - I would choose another line of work!

fj1200
06-17-2021, 07:56 PM
:laugh: