PDA

View Full Version : Joel Caston, gets a seat on Ward 7 Advisory Neighborhood Commission, D.C.

jimnyc
06-16-2021, 03:26 PM
And he's currently an inmate at a D.C. jail - where he has been for over the past 25 years, convicted of murder. Now an elected official.

And I don't care how you label it and how you explain it, it just simply shouldn't be. A prison inmate, a murderer, is now going to be a part of making city decisions & for other people?

---

D.C. Jail inmate elected to public office

An inmate at the D.C. Jail has been elected to a seat on the Ward 7 Advisory Neighborhood Commission that had been vacant for a decade.

Joel Caston, 44, beat four other inmates in the unprecedented election on Tuesday. He has been incarcerated for more than 25 years after being convicted of first-degree murder when he was 18.

Caston ran against fellow inmates Aaron Brown, 25; Gary Proctor, 43; Keith Littlepage-El, 59; and Kim Thompson, 63.

The election was largely orchestrated by the local prisoners’ rights group Neighbors for Justice.

“Joel will be an amazing inaugural commissioner,” the group tweeted Wednesday. “He is thoughtful, kind, and engaged.”

Neighborhood commissioners are unpaid, serve two-year terms and represent more than 200 neighborhoods spread across 40 districts in the city.

Rest - https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jun/16/joel-caston-dc-jail-inmate-elected-public-office/

Gunny
06-16-2021, 05:19 PM
"Now i'm steppin' into the Twilight Zone ..." :rolleyes:

jimnyc
06-16-2021, 08:05 PM
"Now i'm steppin' into the Twilight Zone ..." :rolleyes:

Shouldn't be surprising. The left has been pushing for rights for prisoners and felons, as far as to even get them voting rights.