PDA

View Full Version : Transgender Activist Wins State Lawsuit Against Masterpiece Cakeshop

jimnyc
06-17-2021, 12:07 PM
I know things are different and not all comparison work. But look around today - and see businesses demanding people wear masks or take a hike, or they even call police.

In almost all other aspects, a business runs in manners it thinks is in it's best interest. And if a customer does not like it, then shop and take your money elsewhere.

Bakers are mostly privately owned. Now suppose I got into my local bakery, and I happened to notice somewhere a large cross, whether behind the counter by the cookies, or more than visible in the baking areas. I don't like this as a customer and ask them to remove it. They say no way.

The customer can choose to accept it and purchase their cake and go on with life. The customer can walk out and go to another bakery and take their business there. But filing a lawsuit, lets say? Demanding they take down their cross? A religious belief of theirs? I know that kind of stuff was stupidly performed in schools and other public places, but a privately owned business?

Now what if I go to a muslim owned bakery and demand the same? And then sue them to try and set a precedent? Or, I see them all stop for a few minutes to go pray?

Its getting ridiculous anymore where folks are getting to make demands of what can and cannot be done by others. And in their own private business. And now even demands of how to address people, and if one doesn't follow they can be fined? But back to religious beliefs in a private business. This was a lawsuit in state district court. I would take it to the state SC and even the SC of the land if necessary.

Again though, I understand to an extent when it's public land, paid for by taxes maybe. But if I pay a few hundred grand for a business license, and then a hundred grand on supplies & then large rent for my business - only to have someone come in and not care for me personally and make demands, and then get it supported by law? I don't get it. :rolleyes:

Now lastly - if ME - when someone comes in to "test me" or order a similar cake, it may accidentally have too much sugar in it, or too much flour, or misspell names or maybe even a tiny piece of plastic that I cannot find. Sure would hate for a customer to be so displeased that they won't return.

---

Transgender Activist Wins State Lawsuit Against Masterpiece Cakeshop

Baker Jack Phillips lost in a Colorado district court Tuesday in a case that challenged his legal right to refuse to create a custom cake for a customer celebrating their birthday and transgender transition, according to court documents.

The court case, Scardina v. Masterpiece Cakeshop, alleged that Phillips unlawfully refused service when she asked if the bakery could make a custom cake for her birthday and “elaborated that she wanted a birthday cake with a pink interior and a blue exterior” and “explained that the design was a reflection” of her “transition from male-to-female,” to which Phillips said the requested cake “isn’t a cake we could make,” according to court documents.

Texas Senator Ted Cruz took to Twitter to condemn the court decision and referred to it as “religious persecution.”

https://i.imgur.com/IVqweTJ.png

“Jack Phillips serves all people but shouldn’t be forced to create custom cakes with messages that violate his conscience” the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) General Counsel, Kristen Waggoner wrote in a statement. “In this case, an activist attorney demanded Jack create custom cakes in order to ‘test’ Jack and ‘correct the errors’ of his thinking, and the activist even threatened to sue Jack again if the case is dismissed for any reason.”

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2021/06/16/colorado-jack-phillips-ted-cruz/

Kathianne
06-17-2021, 12:25 PM
I know things are different and not all comparison work. But look around today - and see businesses demanding people wear masks or take a hike, or they even call police.

In almost all other aspects, a business runs in manners it thinks is in it's best interest. And if a customer does not like it, then shop and take your money elsewhere.

Bakers are mostly privately owned. Now suppose I got into my local bakery, and I happened to notice somewhere a large cross, whether behind the counter by the cookies, or more than visible in the baking areas. I don't like this as a customer and ask them to remove it. They say no way.

The customer can choose to accept it and purchase their cake and go on with life. The customer can walk out and go to another bakery and take their business there. But filing a lawsuit, lets say? Demanding they take down their cross? A religious belief of theirs? I know that kind of stuff was stupidly performed in schools and other public places, but a privately owned business?

Now what if I go to a muslim owned bakery and demand the same? And then sue them to try and set a precedent? Or, I see them all stop for a few minutes to go pray?

Its getting ridiculous anymore where folks are getting to make demands of what can and cannot be done by others. And in their own private business. And now even demands of how to address people, and if one doesn't follow they can be fined? But back to religious beliefs in a private business. This was a lawsuit in state district court. I would take it to the state SC and even the SC of the land if necessary.

Again though, I understand to an extent when it's public land, paid for by taxes maybe. But if I pay a few hundred grand for a business license, and then a hundred grand on supplies & then large rent for my business - only to have someone come in and not care for me personally and make demands, and then get it supported by law? I don't get it. :rolleyes:

Now lastly - if ME - when someone comes in to "test me" or order a similar cake, it may accidentally have too much sugar in it, or too much flour, or misspell names or maybe even a tiny piece of plastic that I cannot find. Sure would hate for a customer to be so displeased that they won't return.

---

Transgender Activist Wins State Lawsuit Against Masterpiece Cakeshop

Baker Jack Phillips lost in a Colorado district court Tuesday in a case that challenged his legal right to refuse to create a custom cake for a customer celebrating their birthday and transgender transition, according to court documents.

The court case, Scardina v. Masterpiece Cakeshop, alleged that Phillips unlawfully refused service when she asked if the bakery could make a custom cake for her birthday and “elaborated that she wanted a birthday cake with a pink interior and a blue exterior” and “explained that the design was a reflection” of her “transition from male-to-female,” to which Phillips said the requested cake “isn’t a cake we could make,” according to court documents.

Texas Senator Ted Cruz took to Twitter to condemn the court decision and referred to it as “religious persecution.”

https://i.imgur.com/IVqweTJ.png

“Jack Phillips serves all people but shouldn’t be forced to create custom cakes with messages that violate his conscience” the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) General Counsel, Kristen Waggoner wrote in a statement. “In this case, an activist attorney demanded Jack create custom cakes in order to ‘test’ Jack and ‘correct the errors’ of his thinking, and the activist even threatened to sue Jack again if the case is dismissed for any reason.”

Rest - https://dailycaller.com/2021/06/16/colorado-jack-phillips-ted-cruz/
SCOTUS unanimously found for Catholic Charities today against the state for 1st amendment. Phillips should consider civil suit for harrasment if these suits continue.