PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Sidewalk- More Big Brother

Gunny
06-19-2021, 08:16 AM
If you have Echo Dot or Alexa, Amazon has the capability to remotely turn something on that publicly accesses your wifi.

This is where I expect jimnyc or and or other tech-savvy types to fill in the blanks.

Small blurb , back page of the news stated Amazon intends to turn this feature on. Just another way to collect personal info if you ask me. The user can turn it off. If they know it's there and to look for it.

KarlMarx
06-19-2021, 12:37 PM
If you have Echo Dot or Alexa, Amazon has the capability to remotely turn something on that publicly accesses your wifi.

This is where I expect jimnyc or and or other tech-savvy types to fill in the blanks.

Small blurb , back page of the news stated Amazon intends to turn this feature on. Just another way to collect personal info if you ask me. The user can turn it off. If they know it's there and to look for it.

You can turn this off

Enable or Disable Amazon Sidewalk for Your Account

Open the Alexa app .

Open More and select Settings.

Select Account Settings.

Select Amazon Sidewalk.

Turn Amazon Sidewalk on or off for your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimnyc
06-19-2021, 01:44 PM

Amazon is planning on using shared wifi BS, so neighbors all get access. And you must opt out when it happens. :rolleyes:

Cameras on laptops were known to be accessible remotely and turned on. All kinds of services and programs have been found over the years to do similar. Cell phones accessed remotely, even if disabled & even if powered off. Yeps, Alexa & echo, of which we have both here. Wife loves using Alexa, my google device is disabled and in a couple of pieces. Devices that are used solely with cell/wifi access to work, can usually always be hacked remotely somehow.

The only way to fully 100% prevent your phone from being remotely accessed is to shut it down and remove the battery. Alternatively since that's no fun, use some protective/preventative apps on your phone.

Computer at home is a little easier as it doesn't roam around at least. But you can still access wifi on many and almost all attach at least to the internet. Then starts the protection. Can do so with a router by itself for some protection, as they have built in protection for attacks.

Then you have programs you download that access the internet. Can't do too awfully much there if internet is required. But if it causes issues or is suspect, delete that crap. Also run updated software to protect from rogue crap on your computer. An updated anti-virus, malware program & maybe a computer cleaner / speeder upper type stuff.

I use the latest Kaspersky anti-virus for example, then I use Piriform CCleaner & Glary Utilities for cleaning/maintaining, and Malwarebytes to check periodically for that crap too. Worth it!

Gunny
06-19-2021, 05:50 PM
You can turn this off

Enable or Disable Amazon Sidewalk for Your Account

Open the Alexa app .

Open More and select Settings.

Select Account Settings.

Select Amazon Sidewalk.

Turn Amazon Sidewalk on or off for your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazon is planning on using shared wifi BS, so neighbors all get access. And you must opt out when it happens. :rolleyes:

Cameras on laptops were known to be accessible remotely and turned on. All kinds of services and programs have been found over the years to do similar. Cell phones accessed remotely, even if disabled & even if powered off. Yeps, Alexa & echo, of which we have both here. Wife loves using Alexa, my google device is disabled and in a couple of pieces. Devices that are used solely with cell/wifi access to work, can usually always be hacked remotely somehow.

The only way to fully 100% prevent your phone from being remotely accessed is to shut it down and remove the battery. Alternatively since that's no fun, use some protective/preventative apps on your phone.

Computer at home is a little easier as it doesn't roam around at least. But you can still access wifi on many and almost all attach at least to the internet. Then starts the protection. Can do so with a router by itself for some protection, as they have built in protection for attacks.

Then you have programs you download that access the internet. Can't do too awfully much there if internet is required. But if it causes issues or is suspect, delete that crap. Also run updated software to protect from rogue crap on your computer. An updated anti-virus, malware program & maybe a computer cleaner / speeder upper type stuff.

I use the latest Kaspersky anti-virus for example, then I use Piriform CCleaner & Glary Utilities for cleaning/maintaining, and Malwarebytes to check periodically for that crap too. Worth it!.I don't have it. Granddaughter do and I already warned the daughter. I wasn't sure if this was common knowledge so I thought I'd toss it out here.

I didn't trust any of these a-holes to start with. It's to the point now where I consider them an enemy of the Nation.