PDA

View Full Version : Some Hope Appearing?

Kathianne
06-23-2021, 11:37 AM
Real change, for good or bad is a bottom up phenomena.

Watching what is happening in VA school board meetings, likely at least in part due to parents hearing and seeing some indoctrination happening due to in home schooling, is a very hopeful sign. This is a very red blue district, with very wealthy and educated parents. Went over 60% for Biden a few months ago. They are not likely to go home and shut up.

Then there is the enclave in Atlanta, Bucktown?, that is also well above average. So has the crime rate become. They want to create their own suburb and though it will take time, (In IL the high school district I attended school under, was made up of 3 high schools-1 from my suburb; then two less wealthy. When repairs were needed to our high school, the two other town defeated the referendum. It took nearly 8 years, but they are on their own to this day.)

Polls are now making it clear, the vast majority of people want police and they want voter ID. They have no problem with more regulations for mail in voting, but do not want it abolished or limited as much as in the past.

fj1200
06-23-2021, 12:10 PM
Then there is the enclave in Atlanta, Bucktown?...

Buckhead. It's harder to peal a new city out of an existing one in Georgia. We've had a pause on new cities recently after a flurry a few years ago. It needs to start in the legislature.

Kathianne
06-23-2021, 12:31 PM
Buckhead. It's harder to peal a new city out of an existing one in Georgia. We've had a pause on new cities recently after a flurry a few years ago. It needs to start in the legislature.
If you're there I'll certainly defer to you. I know that breaking from the school district went to state Supreme Court. It came down to the other cities would not or could not provide the monies necessary to make needed improvements. Yet over the past twenty years, our city had provided the lion's share of funding to build two new high schools, while our school kept deteriorating. It was deemed necessary and fair to split off.

Kathianne
06-23-2021, 01:04 PM
Props to Trump. He announced he will be visiting the border next week. Just announced that Harris will go to El Paso at the end of this week.

darin
06-23-2021, 01:19 PM
$10 says she goes there and blames her own country for the problem and brings up racism twice in her comments/speech.

Kathianne
06-23-2021, 01:22 PM
$10 says she goes there and blames her own country for the problem and brings up racism twice in her comments/speech.
Wouldn't touch that bet. We already know it's Trump's fault.

NightTrain
06-23-2021, 01:24 PM

...followed by a bout of mad cackling.

fj1200
06-23-2021, 03:08 PM
If you're there I'll certainly defer to you. I know that breaking from the school district went to state Supreme Court. It came down to the other cities would not or could not provide the monies necessary to make needed improvements. Yet over the past twenty years, our city had provided the lion's share of funding to build two new high schools, while our school kept deteriorating. It was deemed necessary and fair to split off.

The schools are a whole different issue and since they were essentially decided to be county run entities, with exceptions, back in the 50s. It essentially takes a constitutional amendment to break away.