PDA

View Full Version : Conservative Republicans are terrified of educated curious minds

gabosaurus
06-27-2021, 09:57 AM
https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article252373898.html#storylink=hpdigest_opinion ------------------------------------------------> There is no mystery why conservatives find education dangerous. A 2015 Pew Research Center study quantified that the better educated one is, the more likely one is to hold liberal beliefs. But I’d argue, contrary to what conservatives seem to feel, that’s not because of bullying professors shouting left-wing dogma. Rather, it’s because once you learn how to think, you’re less susceptible to thin reasoning and easy answers. And increasingly, that’s all conservatism’s got. That may not have been true — or at least, may have been less true — decades ago. But back then, the right had some intellectual underpinning, had yet to devolve into the twitching id of perpetual resentment now on daily display. I mean, is anyone overawed by the profundity of Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene? How about Louie Gohmert? Or even Ron DeSantis? An opinion one can’t defend — using actual facts and recognizable reason — is an opinion not worth having. At some level, conservatives must know they fail that standard, so they work to undermine it instead, to make the world safe for ignorance.

Kathianne
06-27-2021, 10:04 AM
Perhaps a better question would be, Why are the 'woke' so dictatorial when given any power?

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2021/06/26/virginia-state-pta-getting-creative-over-critical-race-theory-battle-n399141

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-27-2021, 10:46 AM
https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article252373898.html#storylink=hpdigest_opinion ------------------------------------------------> There is no mystery why conservatives find education dangerous. A 2015 Pew Research Center study quantified that the better educated one is, the more likely one is to hold liberal beliefs. But I’d argue, contrary to what conservatives seem to feel, that’s not because of bullying professors shouting left-wing dogma. Rather, it’s because once you learn how to think, you’re less susceptible to thin reasoning and easy answers. And increasingly, that’s all conservatism’s got. That may not have been true — or at least, may have been less true — decades ago. But back then, the right had some intellectual underpinning, had yet to devolve into the twitching id of perpetual resentment now on daily display. I mean, is anyone overawed by the profundity of Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene? How about Louie Gohmert? Or even Ron DeSantis? An opinion one can’t defend — using actual facts and recognizable reason — is an opinion not worth having. At some level, conservatives must know they fail that standard, so they work to undermine it instead, to make the world safe for ignorance.

lol.

"" A 2015 Pew Research Center study quantified that the better educated one is, the more likely one is to hold liberal beliefs.""

That entire article is nothing but lying, dem/leftist bullshit.

We were truly educated to think, now the poor kids are taught to parrot the liberal/dem bullshit line, imho.-Tyr

Talk about stating the bleating obvious..
In that , such education as now exists sanctioned by the our PUBLIC EDUCATION SYSTEM-- is indoctrination, into liberalism 101...
Are we supposed to be thankful for that bleedingly obvious but slanted crap?
As if it is a positive???
I graduated in 1972 before the public education system went all to hell. Thats 49 years ago- back when we still had a majority of teachers actually teaching kids instead of brainwashing them...

Mika-El
06-27-2021, 12:35 PM
lol.

We were truly educated to think, now the poor kids are taught to parrot the liberal/dem bullshit line, imho.-Tyr

In that , such education as now exists sanctioned by the our PUBLIC EDUCATION SYSTEM-- is indoctrination, into liberalism 101...
I graduated in 1972 before the public education system went all to hell. Thats 49 years ago- back when we still had a majority of teachers actually teaching kids instead of brainwashing them...

Lol stop holding back how you feel man.

I agree although I laugh at the irony of the article.

Think about it. If one was "learned" what ever that means, it would make them more likely to be NEITHER liberal or conservative (if we are using those terms properly as in Edmund Burke, Jeremy Bentham, Hobbes, Volitaires, Rousseau, etc) but somewhere in between.

All education means is you have more information to consider before making a conclusion.

In fact psychology has taught us an "intelligent" mind if we have to use that word does not think in a particular way-the only true characteristic it has is to see many possible explanations, formulas, arguments-it means it becomes open minded, flexible.

Liberals or leftists hell call them what you want, some of the most rigid, narrow minded, facistic sob's possible no different than the right wingers they claim are.

Y'all ask me its not whether you are left or right, its why you believe what you do in relation to any particular issue. I got no problem with someone slipping and sliding all over the place with opinions depending on each issue.

I know some people call that fence sitting but that is not what I mean. Fence sitting is where you refuse to state your opinion. Me I say slip and slide all over da friggin place just be honest about it, up front and respect the difference of opinions of others.

I guess I am an idiot according to this article because I slip and slide all over the place on issues.

icansayit
06-27-2021, 01:57 PM

Everything said above proves that SNOBS always feel far superior to everyone else. Because they are OVERLY educated DOES NOT MEAN they are INTELLIGENT in every aspect of Life.
But you can't tell them that, and putting an "R" or an "L" on all of their shoes, socks, gloves, and the back of their hands with Tattoo's to help them survive...until they try to tie their shoes, and get nothing but KNOTS to match the limited output of their SNOB heads is how they manage to make everyone else happy to NOT BE THEM!

jimnyc
06-27-2021, 03:10 PM
lol.

Couldn't agree more. My favorite line was:

had yet to devolve into the twitching id of perpetual resentment now on daily display

Apparently whoever wrote this is delusional and oblivious to the facts. The anger & resentment, lies and censoring & creating dependency belongs to the democrats. They love to LITERALLY twist things.

Just the day before Jen Psaki had the gonads to imply that it was the republicans who were/are all for "defunding the police". Delusional as well. Not mention factually incorrect.

Guy is no more than an opinion columnist.

jimnyc
06-27-2021, 03:14 PM
Perhaps a better question would be, Why are the 'woke' so dictatorial when given any power?

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2021/06/26/virginia-state-pta-getting-creative-over-critical-race-theory-battle-n399141

Because it's always their way or the highway, and now cancellation. No right to disagree or have opposing viewpoints. And far too many are taking their activism into the schools and using it as a teaching tool.

Kathianne
06-27-2021, 03:19 PM
Because it's always their way or the highway, and now cancellation. No right to disagree or have opposing viewpoints. And far too many are taking their activism into the schools and using it as a teaching tool.

Someone has been noticing all the above for over a decade.

NightTrain
06-27-2021, 03:56 PM
Something that has cracked me up over the decades is how smart libs think they are. Article after article explaining the level of enlightenment libs enjoy, but yet can't put together a simple argument outlining why it's true.

Anyone else remember Gabby's 'student' putting together a train wreck of an argument a couple of years ago for her? Yeah, that thread should be pinned at the top of the board for everyone to enjoy.

If you were so smart, Gabby, you'd demonstrate it in your own words right here. You fail miserably and laughably with every attempt. But please, do go on with a vacuous attempt to justify how smart you imbeciles are with another retard crowing about intelligence from members of your laughably weak ideology.

You fuckers don't know what restroom to use, but you've got all the answers, right? :laugh2:

Gunny
06-27-2021, 04:04 PM

Think about it. If one was "learned" what ever that means, it would make them more likely to be NEITHER liberal or conservative (if we are using those terms properly as in Edmund Burke, Jeremy Bentham, Hobbes, Volitaires, Rousseau, etc) but somewhere in between.

All education means is you have more information to consider before making a conclusion.

In fact psychology has taught us an "intelligent" mind if we have to use that word does not think in a particular way-the only true characteristic it has is to see many possible explanations, formulas, arguments-it means it becomes open minded, flexible.

Liberals or leftists hell call them what you want, some of the most rigid, narrow minded, facistic sob's possible no different than the right wingers they claim are.

Y'all ask me its not whether you are left or right, its why you believe what you do in relation to any particular issue. I got no problem with someone slipping and sliding all over the place with opinions depending on each issue.

I know some people call that fence sitting but that is not what I mean. Fence sitting is where you refuse to state your opinion. Me I say slip and slide all over da friggin place just be honest about it, up front and respect the difference of opinions of others.

I guess I am an idiot according to this article because I slip and slide all over the place on issues.I agree with your premise. Got a plan to dismantle it? It all begins, IMO, with labels and politics. You MUST choose a side. No one wants to hear that you agree with this idea and that idea. They first have to decide which label/political belief system it falls under and you are forevermore pigeon-holed to that political party's stated ideals, or the ideals the media has labeled them with.

That one might hold beliefs based on thinking for one's self is unacceptable to any of the established, labeled and accepted belief systems. I'm beginning to believe anymore "We, the People" follow the politics dictated by the media more than actually having any real set of values/beliefs based on the best possible choices using common sense, logic and fact as guides.

Russ
06-27-2021, 07:48 PM

When referring to liberals, some of them are "educated" but virtually none of them are curious minds. The word 'curious' implies a mind that is searching for truth whether it agrees with current opinions or not. That certainly does not apply to liberals.

A better analogy would be found in the movie The Matrix, where the hero has a choice of taking the "red pill" which would let him see the world as it really is, or taking the "blue pill" which would just keep him floating around in a blue-hazed pointless reverie. Kind is reminds me of our current choice in America between red thinking and blue stupor.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-27-2021, 08:27 PM

I guess I am an idiot according to this article because I slip and slide all over the place on issues.

I get that a lot, I just can not seem to vent out my true feelings when it comes to certain- lying, worthless, dishonorable, dumbass reprobate vermin....
but I am quite diligently and with intensive fervor working on it...- :laugh:-Tyr

fj1200
06-27-2021, 08:53 PM

I hope you know how ridiculously "thin" that piece was. For every Marjorie Taylor Green there are now 5? squad members with even less intellectual depth. CRT proponents don't want anything that challenges their own easy answers.

icansayit
06-27-2021, 11:57 PM
I hope you know how ridiculously "thin" that piece was. For every Marjorie Taylor Green there are now 5? squad members with even less intellectual depth. CRT proponents don't want anything that challenges their own easy answers.

It's their only way of CONVINCING themselves how much more superior they believe they are by making statements like "CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS ARE TERRIFIED" in order to convince themselves, over, and over again as they SLOWLY "EAT THEIR OWN" and still blame their Perpetual Victimhood on everybody else.

gabosaurus
06-28-2021, 10:03 AM
I agree with your premise. Got a plan to dismantle it? It all begins, IMO, with labels and politics. You MUST choose a side. No one wants to hear that you agree with this idea and that idea. They first have to decide which label/political belief system it falls under and you are forevermore pigeon-holed to that political party's stated ideals, or the ideals the media has labeled them with. That one might hold beliefs based on thinking for one's self is unacceptable to any of the established, labeled and accepted belief systems. I'm beginning to believe anymore "We, the People" follow the politics dictated by the media more than actually having any real set of values/beliefs based on the best possible choices using common sense, logic and fact as guides. Actually, you don't need to choose a side. You choose ideas that you agree with. Your premise of actually having any real set of values/beliefs based on the best possible choices using common sense, logic and fact as guides still holds. As long as YOU make the decisions. I make my own decisions. I don't care if said decision runs contrary to what Joe Biden or Donald Trump says. Pigeon holes are great if you are willing to be the pigeon.

gabosaurus
06-28-2021, 10:09 AM
If you were so smart, Gabby, you'd demonstrate it in your own words right here. You fail miserably and laughably with every attempt. But please, do go on with a vacuous attempt to justify how smart you imbeciles are with another retard crowing about intelligence from members of your laughably weak ideology. You are correct. I should give up the opportunities and career advancements bestowed upon me by earning an advanced degree from a prestigious university and scrape out a living climbing telephone poles in Alaska. :rolleyes:

darin
06-28-2021, 12:13 PM
Leftists own the education system and spend their time indoctrinating young minds; the results are plain to see. In maybe all education centers Leftist professors regurgitate their own thoughts and like-thoughts and make students 'study' those thoughts until the student agrees with them so the student can pass the course. We empower kids to throw critical thought and personal and emotional resiliency out the window and that leads to educated but largely Unemployable Progressive Nitwits.

Free-thinkers thumb their nose at the education system. Liberals suddenly think "Omg, they are afraid of education!"

icansayit
06-28-2021, 01:28 PM
You are correct. I should give up the opportunities and career advancements bestowed upon me by earning an advanced degree from a prestigious university and scrape out a living climbing telephone poles in Alaska. :rolleyes:

Because you have an advanced degree does not change the fact that YOU ALSO have to put your clothes on, go to the bathroom, take a shower, eat, drive, smell, hear and see...like every one of the other Nearly 8 Billion other Human beings on this Earth.

In other words.Aside from YOU. Nobody beneath your SNOBBERY really gives a Good Shit what degree's you claim to have, nor how you got them. But...looking down your nose at others who REALLY WORK for a living to ALLOW YOU to enjoy all of the things you THINK You deserve....In nothing short of BULLSHIT!

jimnyc
06-28-2021, 03:17 PM
You are correct. I should give up the opportunities and career advancements bestowed upon me by earning an advanced degree from a prestigious university and scrape out a living climbing telephone poles in Alaska. :rolleyes:

Going to give my opinion as I have had the honor of meeting Rick.

Good university, various degrees, career advancements.... all great things and things to be proud of. But that doesn't truly speak of one's level of intelligence fully, just a synopsis of education & job. Since no one as met you, the only way we can gauge is via your writings here and your own words in debates and supporting arguments.

I haven't met many people who seemed to be more educated on more subjects than Rick has. I don't know if he went to formal colleges or not, nor do I care. As for employment, Rick seems to be one of the best, and a hard worker willing to work longer hours and be in charge of operations in different areas. Setting up and programming and working with all kinds of advanced technology & microwave towers to underground runs. I would be willing to set aside a coffee that says he makes more per. hr & per year than yourself & hubby combined. And that's nothing to sneeze at and definitely not a jab, so don't take it that way. I know what you do and you told me in discussions before what hubby does, and I know you both do well. So it's not a knock. Just that someone with skills and long experience can be mega smart in many areas and the expertise to demand $ top dollar.

Me? I'm a smart cookie alright. Like a crumbling Chips Ahoy after dipped in milk kind of smart maybe! :laugh:

NightTrain
06-28-2021, 04:12 PM

You're a counselor in an inner-city high school in Houston.

Care to explain what happened with that 'advanced degree from a prestigious university'?

SassyLady
06-28-2021, 04:31 PM

I'm thinking he probably makes more than a teacher.

Plus, prestigious doesn't make you smarter or more educated. Just means you paid more to go there.

Abbey Marie
06-28-2021, 05:14 PM

Gabby, I hope you don’t really mean this. Rick is very smart, wise, and logical, and I have seen him skewer many many people who thought they were smarter than the average bear. He is also not one to brag, and that is something that I really admire.

gabosaurus
06-28-2021, 05:22 PM
Nobody appreciates a good dose of snark these days. I might as well not even try. :slap: -----------------------------> Everything in that article is true and factual. Some people refuse to admit it. Rick is one of those. He would rather shoot the messenger. Especially this messenger. I expected the insults and derision. It's part of being a younger liberal on a board full of older conservatives. You bludgeon me. I respond with snark. It all depends on what career path you choose. Not many people have the patience or the temperament to counsel young people who are experiencing problems. Even fewer people likely have the skills and fortitude to take on complex technical problem in extremely inhospitable domains. I consider educational and technical skills to be equally challenging. My job required a Masters degree. I am sure Rick's job requires a buttload of acquired knowledge and skills that can't be learned at any school. I respect him for that. But I also want to slap him across the face with a large salmon.

Mika-El
06-28-2021, 05:25 PM

Wow I just read. You have to learn to dance some jive son. Those rumba lessons you are learning aint all there is. I have 5 degrees man. Been a professor, psychologist-lawyer and I am no smarter than anyone I have taught, investigated, defended, prosecuted, mediated, etc. Some of the most brilliant people I have met and learned from had no formal education. Not sure what your comments meant. People climbing those telephone poles are probably a lot happer than people stuck in offices. Also they save lives. Think about it. What they connect is a matter of life and death. Don't piss on it man. Welcome it.

:dance:

icansayit
06-28-2021, 05:50 PM
If gabby's vehicles break down...would she call a PHD in English, or Psychology?

If her mobile phone stops working in the middle of a harrassing call to someone she hates. Will she call the local HAIRSTYLIST to get it fixed?

If she has a toothache. Obviously, she'd call Nancy Pelosi who would prescribe BOTOX.

And finally. I wasn't aware of any PRESIGIOUS UNIVERSITY she attended that graduated her with a DEGREE in SNOB or PATRONIZING. Must have been sponsored by the DNC.

Abbey Marie
06-28-2021, 06:41 PM
Nobody appreciates a good dose of snark these days. I might as well not even try. :slap: -----------------------------> Everything in that article is true and factual. Some people refuse to admit it. Rick is one of those. He would rather shoot the messenger. Especially this messenger. I expected the insults and derision. It's part of being a younger liberal on a board full of older conservatives. You bludgeon me. I respond with snark. It all depends on what career path you choose. Not many people have the patience or the temperament to counsel young people who are experiencing problems. Even fewer people likely have the skills and fortitude to take on complex technical problem in extremely inhospitable domains. I consider educational and technical skills to be equally challenging. My job required a Masters degree. I am sure Rick's job requires a buttload of acquired knowledge and skills that can't be learned at any school. I respect him for that. But I also want to slap him across the face with a large salmon.

Gabby, you must know it’s hard to see liberals as anything other than dead serious these days. And condescending, which your post was in spades.

icansayit
06-28-2021, 07:15 PM

I, for one, am so familiar with they typical, often-repeated, pretend apologies offered by Liberals over the years. SNARK doesn't work gabby. Like the rest of the known accusers, and blamers who say things, then instantly have a PRE-PLANNED apology ready to pretend they DIDN'T MEAN IT. THE SNARK doesn't Work for me. Not here, Not Now..not from you.
And even if you do have me on IGNORE. It still doesn't resonate with an Honest form of anything.

Gunny
06-28-2021, 09:35 PM
Actually, you don't need to choose a side. You choose ideas that you agree with. Your premise of actually having any real set of values/beliefs based on the best possible choices using common sense, logic and fact as guides still holds. As long as YOU make the decisions. I make my own decisions. I don't care if said decision runs contrary to what Joe Biden or Donald Trump says. Pigeon holes are great if you are willing to be the pigeon.If you think for yourself and make your own decisions, I'll question your (lack of) intellect for regurgitating BS as your OP.

You are correct. I should give up the opportunities and career advancements bestowed upon me by earning an advanced degree from a prestigious university and scrape out a living climbing telephone poles in Alaska. :rolleyes:You really are exactly everything everyone has ever said about leftwingnuts on this board. Arrogant and condescending. I'll speak for the trade, one of which you don't have that goes beyond running your mouth on a keyboard while polishing a chair with your ass ...

I can't speak for everyone everywhere, but we quit climbing power poles before you were born. Oops. Did we forget Gunny was in the electrical trade from the day he retired from the Marines until retirement? Unlike you, we provide a service to the community. 2 AM or 2 PM. 20 degrees or 120 degrees. We're out there. On ladders or lifts. Digging ditches. Running conduit. Pulling 5 wires each being bigger than your spindly little wrist. For real people, Dems, fags, and everyone except in my case abortion clinics. I refused.

Why? So your pasty white fat ass can sit in the AC and HAVE AC. And lights. And power for your computer so you can spread propaganda. If you had to climb one of those poles you and all your degrees probably couldn't figure out how to get up the sumbitch. If by some miracle you did, then it's let the fireworks begin because that's all I can envision being the result of you and transformer.

You better pray every night that little artificial environment you inhabit doesn't cave because if it does you're toast. I wouldn't trade my one, electrical license for all your paperwork that qualifies you to lie to school children. On the bright side, if your power goes out, you can burn all that paper to stay warm:rolleyes:

Kathianne
06-28-2021, 11:00 PM
If you think for yourself and make your own decisions, I'll question your (lack of) intellect for regurgitating BS as your OP.

You really are exactly everything everyone has ever said about leftwingnuts on this board. Arrogant and condescending. I'll speak for the trade, one of which you don't have that goes beyond running your mouth on a keyboard while polishing a chair with your ass ...

I can't speak for everyone everywhere, but we quit climbing power poles before you were born. Oops. Did we forget Gunny was in the electrical trade from the day he retired from the Marines until retirement? Unlike you, we provide a service to the community. 2 AM or 2 PM. 20 degrees or 120 degrees. We're out there. On ladders or lifts. Digging ditches. Running conduit. Pulling 5 wires each being bigger than your spindly little wrist. For real people, Dems, fags, and everyone except in my case abortion clinics. I refused.

Why? So your pasty white fat ass can sit in the AC and HAVE AC. And lights. And power for your computer so you can spread propaganda. If you had to climb one of those poles you and all your degrees probably couldn't figure out how to get up the sumbitch. If by some miracle you did, then it's let the fireworks begin because that's all I can envision being the result of you and transformer.

You better pray every night that little artificial environment you inhabit doesn't cave because if it does you're toast. I wouldn't trade my one, electrical license for all your paperwork that qualifies you to lie to school children. On the bright side, if your power goes out, you can burn all that paper to stay warm:rolleyes:
Everything you said! I'll add there are many, many folks with degrees from 'prestigious' universities and 'not so prestigious` ones that cannot think an original thought; much less defend their borrowed stances of others.

SassyLady
06-28-2021, 11:10 PM

You're right Gabby ... snark is not appreciated these days. Especially from someone who waltzed in here and accused everyone (because most of us are conservatives) of being terrified of educated minds. Not true. Not factual.

The current "educated" curious minds are no longer open to dissenting ideas. The woke and cancel culture does not support open, curious minds. I think you'll find conservatives are more open because we still believe in free speech no matter how egregious.

I'm not saying the author hasn't met a conservative that doesn't appreciate education. But to say all conservatives are terrified just reinforces why we think educated people are out of touch with reality. I didn't get my degree until I was in my late 40s, therefore, I wasn't indoctrinated like the new high school graduates who were bullied into adopting their professor's ideologies. I was the lone dissenting voice many times because I was speaking from experience and not regurgitating textbooks and lectures.

My biggest fear is that all this education is leaving our world without people experienced in the trades. As Gunny said .. those are the people who fix the things that get broken and build the things that make the world a better place. Having a fancy degree and being part of the intellectual crowd won't help when TSHTF.

darin
06-29-2021, 08:35 AM

Better idea. Get up off your computer, walk outside and play a game of hide-and-go-fuck-yourself.

Your comment wasnt snark. It wasn't a joke. It wasn't funny nor pithy nor wise nor interesting beyond the point of the reader thinking "What kind of piece of shit is the person who wrote that? What is broken in their brain?"

Abbey Marie
06-29-2021, 10:31 AM
I’d like to add, in case I did not make this clear enough already, that on a board with many very intelligent people, Rick stands out for me as the most intelligent. Other than Russ, of course! Seriously, he can form a reasoned argument better than anyone. And while it may not be public, I look to him for advice in just about any area.

I feel kind of dumb even saying any of this, because I think it’s quite obvious already to everyone.
Plus Rick can easily speak for himself.

But some things just need to be said.

NightTrain
06-29-2021, 11:54 AM
I've just been watching this thread unfold and enjoying Gabby's wanton ignorance.

Thank you for the kind words, my friends.

I have no idea why she thinks I climb telephone poles; and somehow thinks that's some kind of insult. If she knew anything about the real world she'd know that would be a compliment. Linemen are some of the most impressive tradesmen on this planet and I've met loads of them that are incredibly smart, educated and tough. Anyone that climbs a tower or pole in -50 ambient with a 40 mph blizzard raging should automatically command respect from any thinking observer. I once had an Eskimo up in Barrow stop in his car, roll down the window and ask me wtf we thought we were doing as I was watching one of my apprentices up the pole, and as he drove away I heard him mutter, 'Crazy white guys!'. I took that as a high compliment - the locals were huddled up in warm houses as we upgraded their internet to world-class broadband. They all appreciated our effort and knew how brutal the conditions were; but the real heroes were the guys up the sticks and I always made sure my guys were safe.

I don't climb anymore because :
1) I'm too old,
2) I'm running the project,
3) I don't want to.

I also don't know why Gabby assumes I've had no formal education. I went to UAA Anchorage for 3 years and then became an indentured apprentice in the IBEW for 5 years to become a Book 1 Journeyman. It's nationally accredited and I earned college credits as I learned a skilled trade.

Again, this all boils down to an ignorant shill parked in Houston attempting to lash out with zero knowledge of what it is that I do or even any idea what it took for her to sit down at her computer and vomit out sheer nonsense from the comfort of a modern home's connectivity and almost certain 100% reliance on skilled tradesmen to keep that electricity flowing and those Ones & Zeroes transmitting.

Gabby's world would come to a rude full-stop the minute her cellphone quit working and the power went out at her house. At that moment she might consider what ignorant hicks like Gunny and myself do behind the scenes to provide modern comforts, safety, convenience and instantaneous international communications to her small, hateful existence.

jimnyc
06-29-2021, 12:33 PM
I might as well not even try. :slap: -----------------------------> Everything in that article is true and factual. Some people refuse to admit it.

Have to ask - please tell me that you were purposely making a point and even pointing to out - in saying that it was all true and factual??? That column is 99% opinion and "inaccurate" at best at times.

jimnyc
06-29-2021, 12:38 PM
Everything you said! I'll add there are many, many folks with degrees from 'prestigious' universities and 'not so prestigious` ones that cannot think an original thought; much less defend their borrowed stances of others.

Hey, I went to several schools & also St. John's University while I lived in Queens and worked FT in the city. AND, I'm about as dumb as they come! Now THAT is true and factual!

Gunny
06-29-2021, 01:00 PM
Hey, I went to several schools & also St. John's University while I lived in Queens and worked FT in the city. AND, I'm about as dumb as they come! Now THAT is true and factual!I define "dumb" as closed-minded and refusing to listen, much less learn. You might be a f*ckwit at times, but I never have thought you were dumb :)

Gunny
06-29-2021, 01:20 PM
I've just been watching this thread unfold and enjoying Gabby's wanton ignorance.

I have no idea why she thinks I climb telephone poles; and somehow thinks that's some kind of insult. If she knew anything about the real world she'd know that would be a compliment. Linemen are some of the most impressive tradesmen on this planet and I've met loads of them that are incredibly smart, educated and tough. Anyone that climbs a tower or pole in -50 ambient with a 40 mph blizzard raging should automatically command respect from any thinking observer. I once had an Eskimo up in Barrow stop in his car, roll down the window and ask me wtf we thought we were doing as I was watching one of my apprentices up the pole, and as he drove away I heard him mutter, 'Crazy white guys!'. I took that as a high compliment - the locals were huddled up in warm houses as we upgraded their internet to world-class broadband. They all appreciated our effort and knew how brutal the conditions were; but the real heroes were the guys up the sticks and I always made sure my guys were safe.

1) I'm too old,
3) I don't want to.

I also don't know why Gabby assumes I've had no formal education. I went to UAA Anchorage for 3 years and then became an indentured apprentice in the IBEW for 5 years to become a Book 1 Journeyman. It's nationally accredited and I earned college credits as I learned a skilled trade.

Again, this all boils down to an ignorant shill parked in Houston attempting to lash out with zero knowledge of what it is that I do or even any idea what it took for her to sit down at her computer and vomit out sheer nonsense from the comfort of a modern home's connectivity and almost certain 100% reliance on skilled tradesmen to keep that electricity flowing and those Ones & Zeroes transmitting.

Gabby's world would come to a rude full-stop the minute her cellphone quit working and the power went out at her house. At that moment she might consider what ignorant hicks like Gunny and myself do behind the scenes to provide modern comforts, safety, convenience and instantaneous international communications to her small, hateful existence.How do you think her "curious, educated mind" could handle the NEC?

The ignorant types always get me. To laugh mostly :) "You're all nasty and dirty". "Yeah? You make $7.50 an hour to stay clean. I make over $20 and can take a shower when I get home :laugh:" $7.50 wouldn't pay for even half my bad habits at the time :halo9:

And yes to the "education", formal or otherwise. I didn't do the IBEW. Short-sighted on my part, but I needed to move up THEN, not in a few years. Here it's 4 years of guaranteed IBEW employment and IBEW school 4 nights a week. At the end, you come out with your license or get dumped. I still had to get my hours on the job before I could take the test. The test here is about being able to take the test more than what you know. I still haven't found where the code book tells you what a megger is. Better have learned it on the job :)

Russ
06-29-2021, 05:23 PM
on a board with many very intelligent people, Rick stands out for me as the most intelligent. Other than Russ, of course!

Phew, nice catch! Not that it's true, but you are required to toss in disclaimers like that periodically! :cool:

tailfins
06-29-2021, 08:26 PM

1) I'm too old,
3) I don't want to.

Gabby's world would come to a rude full-stop the minute her cellphone quit working and the power went out at her house. At that moment she might consider what ignorant hicks like Gunny and myself do behind the scenes to provide modern comforts, safety, convenience and instantaneous international communications to her small, hateful existence.

Gabby is a textbook example of hypergamy.

tailfins
06-29-2021, 08:32 PM
How do you think her "curious, educated mind" could handle the NEC?

The ignorant types always get me. To laugh mostly :) "You're all nasty and dirty". "Yeah? You make $7.50 an hour to stay clean. I make over $20 and can take a shower when I get home :laugh:" $7.50 wouldn't pay for even half my bad habits at the time :halo9:

And yes to the "education", formal or otherwise. I didn't do the IBEW. Short-sighted on my part, but I needed to move up THEN, not in a few years. Here it's 4 years of guaranteed IBEW employment and IBEW school 4 nights a week. At the end, you come out with your license or get dumped. I still had to get my hours on the job before I could take the test. The test here is about being able to take the test more than what you know. I still haven't found where the code book tells you what a megger is. Better have learned it on the job :)

Have you been hiding for awhile? In the major cities here in Texas, burger flipper jobs are paying $13 to $16 per hour. If you have a strong Github portfolio, a few certs in things like Kubernetes, Redis and ElasticSearch, you're well into six figures per year. If you have those things, a substantial number of companies don't care if you don't bother getting a degree.

Mr. P
06-29-2021, 10:30 PM
Phew, nice catch! Not that it's true, but you are required to toss in disclaimers like that periodically! :cool:

Damn!!! Please get back to us on how comfortable the COUCH is. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-29-2021, 10:41 PM

hmmmmm.

And here I was so foolishly thinking that I would get at the very least, a minor nod in that department myself. ;)--Tyr

Mika-El
06-30-2021, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=NightTrain;983186]

I went to UAA Anchorage for 3 years and then became an indentured apprentice in the IBEW for 5 years to become a Book 1 Journeyman. [QUOTE]

Man I am sorry you had to do that with no teeth. I hope you eventually got dentures.

:lame2: Ok bad joke.

We needed some light relief.

I did get to Alaska driving up from Yukon. Being a Canadian I am bias for Alaska. That area is beautiful. I mean its a huge chunk of a state but its something else man. I can only imagine what it would be like in any season up on the poles. Wind, snow, lightening, spittin rain, black flies and mosquitoes the size of Oprah Winfrey's butt, sun, trees, bears, never ending summer. Don't get any better.

Hey I always have time as well for the UFO sightings from MUFON up there. Yah I know its probably just a weather baloon.

tailfins
06-30-2021, 12:51 PM

Have you considered comparing your annual W-2 to his? You have to wonder about anybody with an "advanced degree" and only gets five figures per year. In my line of work, there are lots of useless people with an "advanced degree" and powerhouses with no degree. What good are you if your deliverables often crash?

Gunny
06-30-2021, 10:38 PM
Have you been hiding for awhile? In the major cities here in Texas, burger flipper jobs are paying $13 to $16 per hour. If you have a strong Github portfolio, a few certs in things like Kubernetes, Redis and ElasticSearch, you're well into six figures per year. If you have those things, a substantial number of companies don't care if you don't bother getting a degree.

They weren't 15-16 years ago. $8 an hour for fast food. Bill Miller paid $9 an hour and some kind of school opportunity. I only know this because my daughter was looking for work then.

I have no idea what that stuff is you are talking about. I am/was a journeyman electrician. I got paid good money because I work like a Marine ( go figure). $20.50 an hour on our economy here was good money. I have no idea what electricians make nowadays.

tailfins
07-01-2021, 11:13 AM
They weren't 15-16 years ago. $8 an hour for fast food. Bill Miller paid $9 an hour and some kind of school opportunity. I only know this because my daughter was looking for work then.

I have no idea what that stuff is you are talking about. I am/was a journeyman electrician. I got paid good money because I work like a Marine ( go figure). $20.50 an hour on our economy here was good money. I have no idea what electricians make nowadays.

The stuff I'm talking about is what is gaining usage in information technology. What was relevant only four years ago is no longer relevant. Staying relevant is more important than a piece of paper from some university.

One thing my data knowledge has taught me is that relevance is more important than truth.

That makes me wonder if being a network installer would be a good choice for an electrician because it leverages a knowledge of circuits.

NightTrain
07-01-2021, 11:38 AM
That makes me wonder if being a network installer would be a good choice for an electrician because it leverages a knowledge of circuits.

No. Electricians deal with power and telecom guys like me handle 'low voltage' comm signaling, microwave and fiber. There's a bit more to it than hooking up cables.

Conversely, I never touch power. There's a lot more to it than stuffing conduit and twisting wire nuts.

Yes, we're both technically electricians, but vastly different specialties and focus.

tailfins
07-01-2021, 12:31 PM
No. Electricians deal with power and telecom guys like me handle 'low voltage' comm signaling, microwave and fiber. There's a bit more to it than hooking up cables.

Conversely, I never touch power. There's a lot more to it than stuffing conduit and twisting wire nuts.

Yes, we're both technically electricians, but vastly different specialties and focus.

What interests me is strategies to be anti-fragile. What does one say to the executive that asks: "What distinguishes you from someone I can hire from an H1B-based imported labor agency"? The key to being anti-fragile is to stay ahead of the skill set offered by foreign labor. That's especially true for someone that lives in San Antonio. When I travel in Mexico and say that I live in Texas, the most common reply is "Oh yeah, I have a relative that lives in San Antonio".

Gunny
07-01-2021, 02:04 PM
What interests me is strategies to be anti-fragile. What does one say to the executive that asks: "What distinguishes you from someone I can hire from an H1B-based imported labor agency"? The key to being anti-fragile is to stay ahead of the skill set offered by foreign labor. That's especially true for someone that lives in San Antonio. When I travel in Mexico and say that I live in Texas, the most common reply is "Oh yeah, I have a relative that lives in San Antonio".

You're trying to make something of this that ain't there. Not even sure what the "relative in San Antonio" comment is about. I got quite a few relatives around here myself.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. Both are fruit. Just not the same fruit. Being qualified at all that junk you listed previously wouldn't get me an extra dime as a commercial electrician. A backhoe operator's license got me a couple of bucks. You're asking me basically why I don't know how to knit as well as calculate a load for a service. I didn't get paid to knit? I also didn't get paid to hook up the IT/data guy's stuff. I provided the power for him to hook up to where the blueprints stated he wanted it. It's that simple.

Based on your line of reasoning, you might as well ask why I'm not a licensed plumber as well.

tailfins
07-01-2021, 05:44 PM
You're trying to make something of this that ain't there. Not even sure what the "relative in San Antonio" comment is about. I got quite a few relatives around here myself.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. Both are fruit. Just not the same fruit. Being qualified at all that junk you listed previously wouldn't get me an extra dime as a commercial electrician. A backhoe operator's license got me a couple of bucks. You're asking me basically why I don't know how to knit as well as calculate a load for a service. I didn't get paid to knit? I also didn't get paid to hook up the IT/data guy's stuff. I provided the power for him to hook up to where the blueprints stated he wanted it. It's that simple.

Based on your line of reasoning, you might as well ask why I'm not a licensed plumber as well.

All I'm saying is that it's a good idea to plan for a meltdown in available opportunities. The "relative in San Antonio" comment speaks to the risk being replaced by an illegal or a guest worker. Or at the very least the risk of pay rates being watered down by an over-supply of candidates to do the work.

Gunny
07-02-2021, 10:40 AM
All I'm saying is that it's a good idea to plan for a meltdown in available opportunities. The "relative in San Antonio" comment speaks to the risk being replaced by an illegal or a guest worker. Or at the very least the risk of pay rates being watered down by an over-supply of candidates to do the work.I understand what you are saying. It's not applicable. I'm retired.

SassyLady
07-03-2021, 01:37 AM
I understand what you are saying. It's not applicable. I'm retired.

I love being retired. Sometimes I forget what it was like to worry about keeping my skill set updated.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-03-2021, 05:31 AM
I love being retired. Sometimes I forget what it was like to worry about keeping my skill set updated.

My only worry, is if my wife mentions I had better update my skill set......
So far, so good but one never knows about wimmin'....
They like to keep a man on his toes and running full mast....:laugh:--Tyr

Gunny
07-04-2021, 08:14 PM
I love being retired. Sometimes I forget what it was like to worry about keeping my skill set updated.The "skill set" i need to keep updated IS. Along with most of the gear that goes with it :)

icansayit
07-04-2021, 09:53 PM
As for my skill set. I'm pretty sure it left a long time ago. So I got some new ones that only require sitting most of the time. Truth is. I feel more qualified these days to be President than the present pretender who loves ICE CREAM so much.

Here I am, still using my most important skill set (navy)...typing at nearly 60WPM still. My fingers may be old and curly, but they know...(Just like swimming, riding a bike, and other things my Wife always enjoyed):laugh: how to find the keyboard without looking.
Also. I would happily take that COGNITIVE test Ole Joe keeps bragging about. I still have a few days left of my memory...and ICE CREAM gives me gas!