PDA

View Full Version : Love thy Enemy

JohnDoe
09-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Love for Enemies
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies[i] and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

What does this verse mean to you "personally" and do you take it to heart? Do you follow it?

I can say, that this is probably one of the hardest things to do that Jesus asked us to do, in my humble opinion.

What was the purpose for Christ saying this to the crowds? It is in the same Chapter as the Beattitudes, The Sermon on the Mount. MATTHEW 5

Dilloduck
09-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Becasue you can learn things about yourself that way.

JohnDoe
09-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Becasue you can learn things about yourself that way.
But how so, dillo? I guess I don't understand what you are trying to say? I need to ponder on this... :)

by loving thy enemy, one can learn more about themselves that way?

hmmmmm....?

Learn whether they carry true forgiveness in their very hearts, body and souls perhaps?

Learn whether they are truely humble and accept all of God's children just as that, all of God's children?

What?

jd

darin
09-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Christ tells us to be quick to forgive, and slow to hate or fight. Here's a very interesting way of interpreting those instructions.

27-30"To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer for that person. If someone slaps you in the face, stand there and take it. If someone grabs your shirt, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.

JohnDoe
09-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Christ tells us to be quick to forgive, and slow to hate or fight. Here's a very interesting way of interpreting those instructions.Wow... thanks!

But man oh man, this is very hard to do!

And at what level does one bring it dmp? Does it extend to an enemy like Bin Laden, or Ahmadinejad?

jd

darin
09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Bin Laden? He should be killed. Ahadininininienineinjad? I'm not ready to call for capital punishment for him, but wow...that guy needs a two-week beating. :)

Of course, BOTH men could find restoration and forgiveness by God. :) In that case - YAY! :)

truthmatters
09-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I take it as a reminder that we are all human. That becuase your enemy thinks you need destroying it does not make him unhuman. Love thy enemy is much like know your enemy. Use deplomacy to try and defuse the situtation instead of rushing into a fight. Try to understand why your enemy considers you an enemy and look in the mirror to see if he has a good reason to see you that way and if so Change.

JohnDoe
09-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Bin Laden? He should be killed. Ahadininininienineinjad? I'm not ready to call for capital punishment for him, but wow...that guy needs a two-week beating. :)

Of course, BOTH men could find restoration and forgiveness by God. :) In that case - YAY! :)

hahaha! this reminds me of a friend on another message board that could never remember how to spell or pronounce Ahmadinejad's name, so every time he spoke about him, he just called him, I'm a Dinner Jack(et)!

It made me laugh, every time he spoke about him!

BoogyMan
09-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Love for Enemies
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[h] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies[i] and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

What does this verse mean to you "personally" and do you take it to heart? Do you follow it?

I can say, that this is probably one of the hardest things to do that Jesus asked us to do, in my humble opinion.

What was the purpose for Christ saying this to the crowds? It is in the same Chapter as the Beattitudes, The Sermon on the Mount. MATTHEW 5

Luke 6, a parallel instructional passage to the Matthew 5 passage, gives us some insight into the instruction.

32 For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.
33 And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
34 And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

JohnDoe
09-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Luke 6, a parallel instructional passage to the Matthew 5 passage, gives us some insight into the instruction.

WOW! And great insight at that, boogy! Thanks!

It seems as though this teaching of His is not focused on or taught by some Christian Churches of Today? Seems as though Christians of today spend alot of time hating their enemy, and not following the good Lord's teachings?

I even fall short occasionaly.... :(

jd

darin
09-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Seems as though Christians of today spend alot of time hating their enemy,

I've never seen a church hate anything other than 'sin'. :)

I know there are churches who DO, however...those nut-job "baptists" from the south, for instance.

5stringJeff
09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I know there are churches who DO, however...those nut-job "baptists" from the south, for instance.

They are from Kansas, NOT the South, thank you so very much. :)

darin
09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
They are from Kansas, NOT the South, thank you so very much. :)

My apologies - but Kansas IS 'south' - albeit not 'The South' :)