PDA

View Full Version : AFL Grand Final!

gabosaurus
09-23-2007, 09:08 AM
What do you think Diuretic -- Geelong or Port?
I personally believe Port will pull it off. They are near the top of the ladder every season. When was the last time Geelong won the Premiership?
Any analysis from your side?

diuretic
09-24-2007, 04:58 AM
Difficult one gab. I'm frankly surprised that Port made it but they brutalised the Kangaroos last week (I didn't watch the game). Port are a very good side this year, no question about that (a bit self-evident I know). But Geelong have been head and shoulders above anyone else. However we have to remember that Port beat Geelong back in the first part of the season.

I think the key is the midfield. If Geelong dominates midfield and Ablett is able to power the ball to the forwards they will have a great chance of winning. However having said that Port has the Cornes brothers (I used to play footy with their father but only in rural juniors when we were at high school) who can dominate and they have Tredrea who when he's on his game will just steamroll anyone who's in front of him.

I'll say Geelong simply on consistency and teamwork during the season. They are really a top class team and have shown that consistently. Port had a bit of a slow start but lived up to their name and powered home in the last half of the season. It could be that Geelong have peaked too soon and Port is about to peak but I still think Geelong is just that bit too good. Also being at the G, it's a home game for Geelong. Although there will be thousands of Port supporters travelling to Melbourne (a lovely city) I think the Cats are going to have the home ground advantage. 90-something thousand people and probably 20,000 will be barracking for Port, that's a lot of noise for the Cats.

So, Geelong, but not by much.

diuretic
09-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Oh missed the premiership question. I think they last won it (when it was the VFL not the AFL) in the 1960s.

Just checked, apparently it was 1963. Time for them to get another one.